Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Carnotaurus posted:

Marty Bergen was loving insane.

I almost posted about Marty Bergen a while back. The Sports Illustrated link is dead on Wikipedia, but they have a pretty decent story on Bergen's deteriorating mental state.

Sticking with sports, the 1977 plane crash that killed nearly all of the Evansville Purple Aces basketball team.

"Nearly all" meant that someone was spared, the team's statistician for home games. He had been a player, but was out because of an ankle injury.

quote:

There was, though, another terrible turn of fate. Cut from the team because of an ankle injury, UE freshman David Furr, the Aces’ statistician, was not on the plane. Two weeks after the crash he and his 16-year-old brother were driving home from a holiday basketball tournament and were killed in a car accident in Newton, Ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I almost posted about Marty Bergen a while back. The Sports Illustrated link is dead on Wikipedia, but they have a pretty decent story on Bergen's deteriorating mental state.

Sticking with sports, the 1977 plane crash that killed nearly all of the Evansville Purple Aces basketball team.

"Nearly all" meant that someone was spared, the team's statistician for home games. He had been a player, but was out because of an ankle injury.

That's some final destination poo poo

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Well, I have it on good authority from FaygoLuvers.net that the guy who got murdered was a Juggalo. So maybe it's a neutral score on that one? I had a few friends try to spin this like he killed this guy for being a Juggalo. Yeah, go to all the trouble of getting on the bus hoping to see one of them paint wearing motherfuckers and cut his tongue out.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Let's bring spooky back.

Scientists are recording strange noises from way out there in the dark, and they discovered a mathematical pattern:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630153.600-is-this-et-mystery-of-strange-radio-bursts-from-space.html?full=true#.VR3jFvnF-7k

quote:

"Science is the best game around," says Learned. "You don't know what the rules are, or if you can win.

Science is Calvinball.

BIG BIC SQUAD
Jan 24, 2015

Carnotaurus posted:

Marty Bergen was loving insane.

"such force that he nearly beheaded himself" Jesus Christ I didn't know it was possible to do that with a straight razor :yikes:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

None Dare Call It a Conspiracy: Who was behind the Moscow apartment bombings?

GQ ran this story in print in 2009 but Conde Nast wouldn't publish it online (or in Russia).

Pro click and one of the more depressing things I've read. Best part was the president of the Russian parliament announcing the bombing of an apartment building three days before it happened. It seems the secret service - which probably did the bombing - goofed and gave him the briefing at the wrong time.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Let's bring spooky back.

Scientists are recording strange noises from way out there in the dark, and they discovered a mathematical pattern:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630153.600-is-this-et-mystery-of-strange-radio-bursts-from-space.html?full=true#.VR3jFvnF-7k

please be aliens please be aliens please be aliens please be aliens please be aliens

(It won't be aliens, but as long as it's a new natural phenomena, and not just one of our spy satellites or some poo poo, then that's pretty cool.)

Sex Cop
Mar 22, 2015

You have the right to remain horny.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

For me, the most baffling and stupid move in this comes at 6:21, when, in an attempt to discredit Mark Rathburn, shows a normal looking house with the voiceover smugly declaring "Here's where he lived after he was removed from the church. A far cry from the church's workers paradise".

I mean, everyone knows that Scientologists are terrible at the internet, but do they really have this little understanding of how public perception works?

Rathbun used to live near me. He had a Scientology funded camera crew following him around for a long time ("Squirrel Busters", you can see their videos on YouTube). It was an unwelcome controversy in the community. One of the crew used to buy weed from me. He wasn't a Scientologist. He said it was just a job, but that they were absolutely hired to harass(his words) Rathbun in an effort to get him to lose his temper and end up looking crazy.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The Sword and Scale podcast covered the Li thing. It was pretty interesting and they talked to the mother of the victim about how she felt about Li's privileges. Both she and the host think it's an abrogation of justice (I agree in this case) but it does raise interesting questions about culpability and punishment in such serious cases.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

Both she and the host think it's an abrogation of justice (I agree in this case) but it does raise interesting questions about culpability and punishment in such serious cases.

I'm curious why you'd feel that way. He was an undiagnosed schizophrenic having a sudden and severe episode.

It's hard to find a more ideal example of someone not criminally responsible.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

TKIY posted:

I'm curious why you'd feel that way. He was an undiagnosed schizophrenic having a sudden and severe episode.

Because people don't like the idea of living in a world where bad things happen and aren't really anyone's fault; much easier and safer-feeling to say it was somehow his responsibility or he should've been able to prevent it or if we lock him up bad things won't happen anymore.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Frog Act posted:

The Sword and Scale podcast covered the Li thing. It was pretty interesting and they talked to the mother of the victim about how she felt about Li's privileges. Both she and the host think it's an abrogation of justice (I agree in this case) but it does raise interesting questions about culpability and punishment in such serious cases.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/greyhound-killer-believed-man-he-beheaded-was-an-alien-1.1131575

"In the interview with Summerville on Saturday, Li said he feels sorry for what he did and doubts he will ever know happiness again." :smith:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/greyhound-killer-believed-man-he-beheaded-was-an-alien-1.1131575

"In the interview with Summerville on Saturday, Li said he feels sorry for what he did and doubts he will ever know happiness again." :smith:

Maybe he should stop giving himself schizophrenia then.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Estimated_casualties

quote:

Nearly 500,000 Purple Heart medals (awarded for combat casualties) were manufactured in anticipation of the casualties resulting from the invasion of Japan; the number exceeded that of all American military casualties of the 65 years following the end of World War II, including the Korean and Vietnam Wars. In 2003, there were still 120,000 of these Purple Heart medals in stock.[57] There were so many in surplus that combat units in Iraq and Afghanistan were able to keep Purple Hearts on-hand for immediate award to soldiers wounded on the field.

:stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Good thing the Americans nuked Japan twice instead

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RC and Moon Pie posted:

God must have lost a lot of money gambling on them with lucifer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

Good thing the Americans nuked Japan twice instead

That's the really terrible thing about the nukes. Not only did they kill countless innocent civilians, but if they didn't things probably would have been a million times worse, especially for civilians. :smith:

The decision to use the nukes was still the wrong choice, but none the less, it was an awful situation.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Dylanthulhu posted:

Well, I have it on good authority from FaygoLuvers.net that the guy who got murdered was a Juggalo. So maybe it's a neutral score on that one? I had a few friends try to spin this like he killed this guy for being a Juggalo. Yeah, go to all the trouble of getting on the bus hoping to see one of them paint wearing motherfuckers and cut his tongue out.

It makes me wonder if the victim had time to appreciate the irony of being murdered by a twiztid hatchetman. Was it a weird sort of fulfillment or was it a horrifying karmic nightmare, like one of those Christian videos where a greaser tells his pastor to suck a dick mere minutes before his t-bird stalls on the train tracks and it cuts to a "the end" title card with little flames licking at the letters? We'll never know

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

WickedHate posted:

The decision to use the nukes was still the wrong choice, but none the less, it was an awful situation.

Truman's reaction to the news that the Us had just killed tens of thousands is also quite unnerving:

quote:

‘As the Augusta [the ship carrying Truman back from Potsdam] approached the New Jersey coast on August 6, Map Room watch officer Captain Frank Graham brought first word that the atomic bomb had been dropped on Hiroshima. Ten minutes later a cable from Stimson reported that the bombing had been even more “conspicuous” than in New Mexico. “This is the greatest thing in history”, Truman exclaimed to Graham, and then raced about the ship to spread the news, insisting that he had never made a happier announcement. “We have won the gamble”, he told the assembled and cheering crew. The President’s behaviour lacked remorse, compassion or humility in the wake of nearly incomprehensible destruction—about 80,000 dead at once, and tens of thousands dying of radiation.'

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

because he beheaded a guy and ate parts of his organs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, I think the atomic bombs were probably the way to go. We can argue over the choice of targets all day, but Japan would have been in way worse shape if there was a prolonged battle for the entire island. Its been a long time since my History of WW1 and 2 class, but from what I'm remembering Japan wasn't even thinking of surrendering seriously until they got hit by those things.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, I think the atomic bombs were probably the way to go. We can argue over the choice of targets all day, but Japan would have been in way worse shape if there was a prolonged battle for the entire island. Its been a long time since my History of WW1 and 2 class, but from what I'm remembering Japan wasn't even thinking of surrendering seriously until they got hit by those things.

I don't disagree that things might have been worse, but I wouldn't sacrafice people on a weekly basis even if it protected my town from hurricanes or something. Killing innocent people just isn't right.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

And even then, we still got poo poo like this. Fanatical dedication can only be stopped by the heaviest hand possible it seems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sappo569 posted:

And even then, we still got poo poo like this. Fanatical dedication can only be stopped by the heaviest hand possible it seems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

He never knew anything about the bomb. He was isolated from Japan and gave up as soon as it was confirmed by his old CO things were over. I don't really see that as fanatical, just not believing the enemy when they say "No really, things are totally over, pinkie promise".

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Solice Kirsk posted:

this is completely wrong

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zh1 posted:

this is completely wrong

Take a look at what happened to Okinawa and think about that happening all over Japan. There would have been millions of dead civilians. Maybe you wanna post something explaining your stance and why I'm wrong?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

WickedHate posted:

He never knew anything about the bomb. He was isolated from Japan and gave up as soon as it was confirmed by his old CO things were over. I don't really see that as fanatical, just not believing the enemy when they say "No really, things are totally over, pinkie promise".
lol, no. The guy murdered innocent people and caused two of his men to die because he couldn't admit that Japan lost the war. There was more than enough evidence that the war was over. The guy was an rear end in a top hat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, no. The guy murdered innocent people and caused two of his men to die because he couldn't admit that Japan lost the war. There was more than enough evidence that the war was over. The guy was an rear end in a top hat.

He wasn't worse then any other average soldier would have been in that situation.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Take a look at what happened to Okinawa and think about that happening all over Japan. There would have been millions of dead civilians. Maybe you wanna post something explaining your stance and why I'm wrong?

IIRC Japan estimated up to 20 million dead in an invasion.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

WickedHate posted:

He wasn't worse then any other average soldier would have been in that situation.

Except him and his men were the only example of Japanese soldiers who refused to surrender for 30 years.

-edit Ok, apparently there was one other dude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teruo_Nakamura

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Apr 6, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

because he beheaded a guy and ate parts of his organs

Yup he sure did. How is it his fault though, exactly?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I can get not knowing the bomb went off, but to hold out for +25 years is a little much don't you think?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

Yup he sure did. How is it his fault though, exactly?

well he did it with his hands so i think you can dole out a little bit of blame on account of that

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sappo569 posted:

I can get not knowing the bomb went off, but to hold out for +25 years is a little much don't you think?

War is rough. With the natural mistrust of the "enemy" and the general nature of Imparial Japan's military(so basically, Imperial Japan) I don't think he can be held fully accountable. There's a reason the Phillipines gave him a pardon. The innocent blood he spilt is on the hands of the people running the war, who caused all that to happen. It's not like he was running around raping women or gunning people down in the streets.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Using nuclear weapons against Japan was the only choice, and the right one at that. Japan was absolutely not going to surrender any other way. Remember, they chose to eat a nuclear weapon and continue fighting rather than surrender immediately. They took the second one and there were a substantial number of influential government officials who STILL didn't want to surrender.

It wasn't until we threatened to continue doing that every other day AND get the Soviet Union to invade that Japan unconditionally surrendered.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

HonorableTB posted:

Using nuclear weapons against Japan was the only choice, and the right one at that. Japan was absolutely not going to surrender any other way. Remember, they chose to eat a nuclear weapon and continue fighting rather than surrender immediately. They took the second one and there were a substantial number of influential government officials who STILL didn't want to surrender.

It wasn't until we threatened to continue doing that every other day AND get the Soviet Union to invade that Japan unconditionally surrendered.

This is incorrect.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Spoeank posted:

This is incorrect.

How is this incorrect? What sources do you have that refute this?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan

The Japanese had their last hope of unconditional surrender crushed when the USSR invaded Manchuria and the government continued trying to fight even after the second atomic bomb was detonated by attempting a coup d'etat. Everything I wrote was true.

HonorableTB has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Apr 6, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Japan was going to surrender once the Soviets pushed their poo poo in, the problem was that then the Soviets would have control of Japan. A large reason why the nukes were even dropped were because James Byrnes was a racist, manipulative poo poo and because after they spent a ton of money on dropping the bombs, not dropping them & going through with Downfall would have been politically disastrous.

I don't have a wikipedia link for this but you can control + f for Hasegawa in the article you linked. I got my opinion by studying directly under him for ~4 months in college. It was almost a decade and two careers ago though so I don't have any of my primary source materials anymore to reference.

Spoeank has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Apr 6, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Japan was going to surrender once the Soviets pushed their poo poo in, the problem was that then the Soviets would have control of Japan. A large reason why the nukes were even dropped were because James Byrnes was a racist, manipulative poo poo and because after they spent a ton of money on dropping the bombs, not dropping them & going through with Downfall would have been politically disastrous.

I don't have a wikipedia link for this but you can control + f for Hasegawa in the article you linked. I got my opinion by studying directly under him for ~4 months in college. It was almost a decade and two careers ago though so I don't have any of my primary source materials anymore to reference.

Plus you don't have poo poo like that and NOT want to try it out on someone

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The only reason Japan was still fighting is that they thought they could bring their forces on the mainland to bear if they held out long enough; their hopes of doing that were dashed by the Soviets entering against them. They were already having cities burned down so the nukes were just business as usual. To them it made no difference if it was thousands of incendiary bombs or one nuclear bomb doing the deed.

The idea of the US losing hundreds of thousands of soldiers in an invasion was predicated on the idea that Japanese civilians were going to arm themselves with makeshift spears and charge the beaches. If the Japanese were really that fanatical then no number of destroyed cities would have made them surrender.

I don't think that the nuclear bombs were necessary, but it was likely that without them another couple of cities would have been burned down by conventional bombs before their surrender anyway. What I don't know is if they were going to surrender without any amount of aerial bombardment.