Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Taco Box posted:

I hope they don't go full retard on the interior.

they will, re: eco mode dash lights and every civic interior we've seen for a really long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

kimcicle posted:

Made a quick photoshop with the color red. I'm liking the red a lot more than the green.

I was feeling pretty tepid at the initial pics in the green, but this looks way better. I might be tempted to finally give up my 2008 Civic Si when this thing comes out if it drives well.

More non-press release photos here. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/01/honda-civic-concept-new-york-2015/#image-6

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 2, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks aside (not a fan) it probably won't drive significantly better than the lousy Si. I test drove a 2007 sedan and it was seriously underwhelming except for the 'vtec sound'.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Looks aside (not a fan) it probably won't drive significantly better than the lousy Si. I test drove a 2007 sedan and it was seriously underwhelming except for the 'vtec sound'.

Yea the punchy gearing is nice and the shifter feels good, but I wasn't terribly impressed otherwise when I drove one.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Is anyone in the UK planning on checking out the Jag XE when it comes out? The initial reviews of it seem great, and I'd love to see it do well in its sector, since it kind of has to be the backbone of the current Jaguar renaissance.

Not in the UK, and while the media seems to love hyping the next 3 series killer (lol Cadillac ATS), this is an interesting car and I plan to go drive one when they arrive in the US.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

sanchez posted:

Not in the UK, and while the media seems to love hyping the next 3 series killer (lol Cadillac ATS), this is an interesting car and I plan to go drive one when they arrive in the US.

I'd like to, too. Everyone was slobbering over it in the first drives. Hopefully it drives as good as they claim. The ZF 8-speed is a quality unit, even if the odds of a power plant that can challenge the BMW straight-six are one in ten-squillion.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

El Scotch posted:

I'd like to, too. Everyone was slobbering over it in the first drives. Hopefully it drives as good as they claim. The ZF 8-speed is a quality unit, even if the odds of a power plant that can challenge the BMW straight-six are one in ten-squillion.

I think the idea was to deliver similar performance with greater efficiency. That shouldn't be hard.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I think the idea was to deliver similar performance with greater efficiency. That shouldn't be hard.

The 328i is rated at 35mpg highway in the US, that's going to be pretty hard to top.

the jaghoor xf with the same 2.0/8 speed going into the base XE is only rated at 30mpg highway.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Powershift posted:

The 328i is rated at 35mpg highway in the US, that's going to be pretty hard to top.

the jaghoor xf with the same 2.0/8 speed going into the base XE is only rated at 30mpg highway.

I guess I had an outdated impression then! I'll adjust my opinion to "possible, but not likely".

Even if its in a comparable range though, I bet it will attract buyers. If I were in the market, I'd be curious about anything that wasn't a 3-seies or an A4.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

HEY VAPER posted:

Really if anything the toning down from concept -> production will probably make the new civic look even better, unless Honda wishes to make this yet another example of how they forgot to make good looking cars. As much as I wish the dumb tail lights and spoiler will be ditched and the center exhaust/aero stuff/fogs remain it will probably be the other way around. Either way it would be pretty hard to argue this isn't a big improvement from the 7g/8g/9g bodystyles.

This is basically what Honda does. Tone down the "car show" touches like the center exhaust and stance and you get the production car.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
The center exhaust could make it, that tail light thing I think will go away. The stance might make it too, since this is the Civic Type R and there are lots of other regular Civics for regular driving. Even the Si is probably just like a 'fun' Civic.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I was feeling pretty tepid at the initial pics in the green, but this looks way better. I might be tempted to finally give up my 2008 Civic Si when this thing comes out if it drives well.

More non-press release photos here. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/01/honda-civic-concept-new-york-2015/#image-6

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't understand the one single massive tail light bar thing. It doesn't look good on a Dodge and it doesn't look good on a Honda, either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

I don't understand the one single massive tail light bar thing. It doesn't look good on a Dodge and it doesn't look good on a Honda, either.

The 90's are back, and now the rear end-wide lights are actually functional.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think it actually looks kind of cool, in a Blade Runner kind of way. I hope the giant tail light animates with your turn signals like a police lightbar. That would be awesome.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It looks pretty neat on a Dodge and even cooler on the Honda.

It's a show car and a bit ricier than the production model will be, and I love it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guinness posted:

It's a cue from the current hatch

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

This car will only look non-2fast2furious in black. Maybe.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Would drive the poo poo out of a hot pink car

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Guinness posted:

The point is to trick the eye into thinking the rear is wider and flatter than it really is because modern cars are tall and fat

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think it looks neat from that one rear shot but have you guys not bothered looking at the rest of the car yet? This is one of the ugliest noses I've seen on a car.

It's just so lumpy. That weird ridge. It's like someone left the hood popped open but it's not even part of the hood.

Edit: IT's like someone gave it... YOUR OLD NOSE!

davebo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 3, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

It falls in line with Hondas latest fad of making ugly lumpy noses, but it's not their worst offender.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

davebo posted:

It's just so lumpy. That weird ridge. It's like someone left the hood popped open but it's not even part of the hood.

hold your hand over the nose and its like a TT hosed a Genesis

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

The point is to trick the eye into thinking the rear is wider and flatter than it really is because modern cars are tall and fat

Ding ding ding

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

davebo posted:

I think it looks neat from that one rear shot but have you guys not bothered looking at the rest of the car yet? This is one of the ugliest noses I've seen on a car.

Edit: IT's like someone gave it... YOUR OLD NOSE!

I'm desensitized from all the other garbage we get these days. The gaping maw on this one doesn't take up the whole front end like every other 2015 car, and it doesn't have lovely looking headlamps which is enough to put it above a lot of other new cars you can buy today. Compared against cars that aren't 201* production, yeah it looks like rear end. Pretty tiny windows for a coupe though, the hatch will probably have really poor visibility.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 3, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Neptr posted:

Would drive the poo poo out of a hot pink car

Same. I DD a miata though, so my case might be skewed :sissies:

I want that civic to make it to production largely intact. Maybe then there'll be civics on the road that aren't rolling roadblocks finally (along with corollas). If they are, at least the rear end will be nice to look at.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seeing a fair few other cars in that Civic. I'll usually see a bit of something in a car but that just looks super derivative outside of the rear light bar. It's very 201*.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
TBH af first all I could see was the giant, tall nose. And then I saw the side profile and I just keep thinking "Dodge Charger". That beltline is ridiculous for a (air quotes may be needed here) lightweight hot hatch.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
From non-myspace angles:

I'm assuming US spec bumpers will also push out the ends more.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 3, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Are 'us spec' bumpers even a thing anymore?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bull3964 posted:

Are 'us spec' bumpers even a thing anymore?

No, and at any rate the car was designed as a world car so it meets all global crash and emissions standards.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No, and at any rate the car was designed as a world car so it meets all global crash and emissions standards.

They're still a thing in some models - just compare the profile shots. Even the global Fords had their own set of US-spec bumpers and front end designs.

Also griles and bumper skins are easy to change since they're just plastic so you see a lot of variant designs between regions due to trims, local tastes, etc.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 3, 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Good god, probably has the rear visibility of a Camaro convertible with the top up.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Good god, probably has the rear visibility of a Camaro convertible with the top up.

"Now that backup cameras are standard equipment why bother with a rear window larger than the field of view given by the rear view mirror?" - automakers

Once cameras can replace side mirrors I'm sure we will see similar effects to side visibility

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

hold your hand over the nose and its like a TT hosed a Genesis

Or in other words a Hyundai Tiburon

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
It looks like Alienware made a car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

"Now that backup cameras are standard equipment why bother with a rear window larger than the field of view given by the rear view mirror?" - automakers

Once cameras can replace side mirrors I'm sure we will see similar effects to side visibility

Can't be worse than the CR-Z. That thing makes an original 350Z feel like a convertible with the top down.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Woah it DOES look like a Tiburon

I like the rear a lot actually, sans the bad views out of it but I like the design. The Front is meh, maybe it will look better in person. The sides though, those look bad an I'm not sure why. Like they look cheap? Maybe it's the wheels too I dunno. The place for this car is against Golf Rs and Focus RS' right? Since the Si is against GTIs and Ford STs? Or do I have this wrong?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 3, 2015

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

KakerMix posted:

Woah it DOES look like a Tiburon

I like the rear a lot actually, sans the bad views out of it but I like the design. The Front is meh, maybe it will look better in person. The sides though, those look bad an I'm not sure why. Like they look cheap? Maybe it's the wheels too I dunno. The place for this car is against Golf Rs and Focus RS' right? Since the Si is against GTIs and Ford STs? Or do I have this wrong?

That's pretty much right, Si's have typically been a little cheaper than GTIs and STs, so its probably safe to assume the Type R is probably going to be slightly cheaper than the Golf R and the RS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

Maybe it's the wheels too I dunno.

You just made me take a second look at the wheels. Shouldn't they be mounted on the opposite sides of the car? Like it seems with that design you would want the flat edge moving forward and the streak going behind it, like a cartoon sword swinging, not like a scythe moving forward.