Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Slur posted:

You can't be loving serious.

That appears to be the consensus everywhere I've read. I mean it makes sense, since Normal Monsters are a type of monster just like Effect or Synchro or Fusion, so why wouldn't they be separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
New episode was lame. Sawatari barely did anything.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, Monosubs released an alternate subbed episode for April Fools, which contains the following gems:

Real classy stuff.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOsR08b9MxE

An enterprising Polish cosplay group did a fantastic Arc-V skit. No subtitles but it's meant to be season 1 abridged, and so is easy enough to follow along.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

True but he managed to become a lancer with the least amount of effort possible, so it's a win for him. Also, I like his new monsters. Yosenju are cooler but his Theatre monsters work thematically to show his progression as an entertainment duelist.

Anyway, with that episode Part 1 of Arc V is over. And you know what? It was pretty drat fantastic i'm really interested in seeing where it goes from here and i'm looking forward to another 2 years of this card game anime. It may just be because it's been a while since i've watched the other series but I think so far Arc V may be the best Yugioh so far, hopefully it won't drop the ball.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Underworld Troupe is the perfect deck for Sawatari. If you look at the effects of Dark Heel and Funky Comedian, you'll notice they have ATK modification effects.

They're a bunch of dark, demonic yet still really goofy actors to contrast against the Entermates/Performapals being animal circus performers. It's really inventive and perfectly fits who Sawatari is relative to Yuya. I hope the deck gets printed.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 2, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I hope he gets a new deck each and every time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I hope he gets a new deck each and every time.

Unfortunately the creators have said his deck's going to be static for the rest of the show. :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slur posted:

You can't be loving serious.

He's completely right. Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz are not normal monsters if they have no effect, they are still of that sub-class and cannot kill FoD.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Beef Waifu posted:

He's completely right. Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz are not normal monsters if they have no effect, they are still of that sub-class and cannot kill FoD.

Yeah, I was just shaking my head in disappointment by that distinction.

Slur fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 2, 2015

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Normal Monsters just have two basic conditions: A yellow background and flavor text. They can be tuners and they can be pendulums with pendulum effects but as long as they have that yellow background and goofy-rear end lore they can beat up some chump dragon.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I kinda wanna run Igknights with First of the Dragons. Seems like it'd piss a lot of Nekroz/Qli/BA players off.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
are gemini monsters consdered when not on the field?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Well, it's part of the card's effect to be treated as a normal monster while on the field or in the graveyard, so it would just be an effect monster in your hand or deck.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

He brought forth the strength of a hundred men!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Hjalmar posted:

Normal Monsters just have two basic conditions: A yellow background and flavor text. They can be tuners and they can be pendulums with pendulum effects but as long as they have that yellow background and goofy-rear end lore they can beat up some chump dragon.

Token monsters are also always considered normal monsters.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, Sora is really really bad at this game.

He always summons Frightfur Bear instead of Frightfur Wolf and he completely ignored Edge-Imp Sabres and Fluffal Owl's effects in this duel.

I mean I know the plot says the duel has to end inconclusively, but it's a little ridiculous just how many ways Sora had to OTK Yuya during that turn where he drew 3 if he'd just used his own cards' effects.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 2, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VJeff posted:

Man, Sora is really really bad at this game.

He always summons Frightfur Bear instead of Frightfur Wolf and he completely ignored Edge-Imp Sabres and Fluffal Owl's effects in this duel.

I mean I know the plot says the duel has to end inconclusively, but it's a little ridiculous just how many ways Sora had to OTK Yuya during that turn where he drew 3 if he'd just used his own cards' effects.

TCG effects aren't anime effects. Is Wolf even a thing in the anime?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Why wouldn't it be? Tiger is and that was an OCG card first.

Not to mention how bad he looks retroactively for summoning Mad Chimaera against Shun instead of Sabre Tiger.

Also not to mention how bad he looks retroactively for summoning Bear instead of Tiger against Yuto and also literally every other time he used Bear instead of Tiger.

Sora sucks even when he's playing seriously is what I'm getting at.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 2, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Frightfur Fusion has been used twice to summon Mad Chimera and never anything else suggesting that it has some limitations that the TCG version doesn't have.

Every time Tiger has been summoned it has been so by using more than 2 material monsters, that's the best I can come up with.

It's kinda stupid but it's not like it hasn't been internally consistent so far. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Looking at the anime effects of Sabre Tiger and Frightfur Fusion, there's nothing that suggests he couldn't have used the latter to summon the former. I choose to believe he just wanted to be a big show-offy baby and kill Shun with his own monster. :colbert:

Fun fact I just discovered about Mad Chimera's anime effect, though:

quote:

3 "Frightfur" monsters
If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon that opponent's monster to your side of the field. This card gains 300 ATK for each monster you control that was Special Summoned by this effect. When this card battles: You can activate this effect; your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the Battle Phase.

Why the hell didn't he use that? :lol:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wolf isn't really all that great. It's good for pulling off OTKs, certainly, but with only 2000 atk you really can't count on it surviving your opponent's next turn. Bear at least has the potential to spiral out of control if it scores a kill or two.
And if I didn't misunderstand the latest episode, Sabre Tiger requires normal Tiger as Fusion Material, doesn't it?

As for why he never used Tiger before... yeah, I got nothing. Tiger is super good and is one of the key elements of the archetype. The best explanation I can come up with is that he didn't bring it with him in his first excursion in the Standars dimension for some reason. :v:

Of course, the real explanation is that who plays well and who sucks depends on drama more than anything else. But it's fun to try and find these explanations from time to time.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 2, 2015

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We got a close enough look at Sabre Tiger's card to see its material: A level 6 or higher Frightfur and 1 or more Fluffals or Edge-Imps.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Frightfur_Sabre_Tiger

Like yeah if he was like "I didn't have this card the last time I was in Standard but I brought it this time JUST FOR YOU KUROSAKI-CHAN :unsmigghh:" that'd be kinda cool but as it is it just makes Sora look like kind of a chump. :v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Either there has been a mistranslation or this card has a very odd effect.

quote:

A Fusion Monster that uses this card as a Fusion Material cannot be destroyed by [...] effects.
It's already a Fusion Monster made with another Fusion monster, how many more fusions are there down the line? :psyduck:
It's thematically fitting, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem practical.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You obviously use it to fusion summon ANOTHER SABRE TIGER. :unsmigghh:

Actually that's a good idea since you'd could just revive the first Sabre Tiger immediately with the second one's effect. You're getting into some pretty ridiculous ATK gains across the board at that point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's already a Fusion Monster made with another Fusion monster, how many more fusions are there down the line? :psyduck:
It's thematically fitting, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem practical.

It'd make Mad Chimera slightly less lovely.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

VJeff posted:

We got a close enough look at Sabre Tiger's card to see its material: A level 6 or higher Frightfur and 1 or more Fluffals or Edge-Imps.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Frightfur_Sabre_Tiger

Like yeah if he was like "I didn't have this card the last time I was in Standard but I brought it this time JUST FOR YOU KUROSAKI-CHAN :unsmigghh:" that'd be kinda cool but as it is it just makes Sora look like kind of a chump. :v:

The show's weird about ownership of physical cards like that. They're really more extensions of the duelist's will than they are actual pieces of paper, just look at how Yuya somehow got his hands on Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragon.

Last episode went at a mile a minute, but I prefer that over an entire ep of Reira and Blue Haired Kid's duel, one for Sawatari and one for Yuya and Sora.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I have almost a full monarch deck on its way to my house, besides Majesty's Fiend because lol :toot:. Didn't pick up any of the Monarchs besides Raiza, Caius, and Mobius but those were the only ones (and their megas) that really seemed worth getting. Maybe the Rock Monarch if I push the Ghostrick aspect of the deck to set more cards.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm way too excited about buying worthless pieces of cardboard to play children's games with.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doom Virus Dragon is getting Crush Cards original effect. :swoon:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm way too excited about buying worthless pieces of cardboard to play children's games with.

Get the vassals when they become TCG.
And then get way too excited as you float about monarchs like its no biggie.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Is the draft still happening tommorow at the same time? Are we using devpro?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nyaa posted:

Is the draft still happening tommorow at the same time? Are we using devpro?

Well I meant the following week, but if everyone wants to do it tomorrow, we can. (For certain definitions of tomorrow, it's 12:17 AM here)

Okay, simplest thing, everyone get into SynIRC #ADTRWDraft, if there is a moment when everyone has arrived we'll do it, if not, we'll actually schedual a day-time in the following days.

We'll be using YGOPro for drafting if only so Slur, Senerio and Myself can record/spectate/stream games and provide commentary.

If you don't have an IRC client, use Mibbit

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I can't do it tonight, but I was considering dropping out because I'm just not feeling up to speed from random devpro matches. Feel free to drop me if everybody else is ready to go.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

dogsicle posted:

I can't do it tonight, but I was considering dropping out because I'm just not feeling up to speed from random devpro matches. Feel free to drop me if everybody else is ready to go.

If you were to drop I would need to find another player or play myself (Hint: Tournament Organizer really shouldn't play himself since someone should be around to move everything smoothly)

If you can, post days you are avaliable, which I really should have done when I was getting sign ups.

:siren:Okay so the idea's been put in place for 6 PM EST on Sunday 5th of April, which is 9 AM GMT+11 on Monday 6th of April:siren:

If anyone has trouble making this time, let me know.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 3, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sunday works for me. Looking forward to getting swept in the tournament. :downs:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'd be up for subbing if anyone can't make it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

I'd be up for subbing if anyone can't make it

I've put you down just in case.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sunday works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I might not be able to make that. I have dinner with my family at that time. (Well, earlier, but I doubt I'll be able to make it back for 6)

e: Double checked. Yeah, I'm not getting home until 9 the earliest.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 3, 2015