Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

biggfoo posted:

Henry remains the best. He's going to love the internet.

It should be the B2. There was high profile arrest related to espionage and the B2 in 1984 which is what I assume they are working towards. You can read about on its wiki page. The show is mid/late 83 at this point(i think?) and the F117 should already be flying tests.

That and Lockheed built the F117 while the B2 was Northrop's project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So much poo poo went down I almost forgot that it's now confirmed the defector lady is actually a spy.

But Christ, what an episode. Didn't see Paige cornering them like that even with the Pastor Tim setup.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Paige is annoying and that pastor is a d-bag

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

And Martha's missing from work.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I still suspect the pastor is more than he claims. Maybe he was working for the Soviets and his role was to help kindle Paige's suspicions to hasten her confronting her parents and the subsequent reveal. Now they've got no choice but to start showing her the ropes of the spy business.

Amazing acting from Matthew Rhys, Kerri Russell, and Holly Taylor this week.

And any episode with Henry talking too much and nobody listening is great in my book :allears:.

bowser fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 2, 2015

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
For all the horrific poo poo they've seen and done I don't think I've seen Phil and Liz look more terrified than while confronting their teenage daughter.

"Paige, sweetie, let me explain to you how dropping cars on people and folding dead women into suitcases is furthering the cause of peace and equality."

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

bowser posted:

I still suspect the pastor is more than he claims. Maybe he was working for the Soviets and his role was to help kindle Paige's suspicions to hasten her confronting her parents and the subsequent reveal. Now they've got no choice but to start showing her the ropes of the spy business.

I kinda picked up on that, too. If that's the case, though, I doubt he's been involved from the get go. Maybe the Center is holding something over him to make him do it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I don't think Pastor Tim is involved with the Soviets, it just seems like way too much of a stretch. I do think it's possible that there are hidden layers there, and I'm interested to see if the writers use his character to prompt Paige's recruitment in some fashion, perhaps with a church-related scandal that shatters her faith.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I'd be very disappointed if he turned out to be a spy for anyone. I'd rather like it if he was just an honest guy who thinks Paige is a pretty good person who's having some problems that he wants to help her work through.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The character doesn't really need to be in the intelligence business for him to be a nemesis for them, they're already staunch atheists

I really do want philip to merc that guy though

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The best part about Stan showing up is that I'm sure by now him and Elizabeth and Phillip are just pure friends and they're not pumping him for information ever. But of course Paige is gonna read into that way too much, which is amazing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Spoiler for this week's Americans podcast: They get about 5 minutes into the interview with Holly Taylor, then Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell barge in and a producer's voice cuts in saying they all ended up chatting and the interview never got going again. End of podcast.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Regarding Pastor Tim, I think it's simply that he has the straight forward agenda of bringing in as many new church members as possible. That's what those kinds of churches do. Paige being a convert isn't enough - that's why he invited them to travel as a family on that mission trip.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Sober posted:

The best part about Stan showing up is that I'm sure by now him and Elizabeth and Phillip are just pure friends and they're not pumping him for information ever. But of course Paige is gonna read into that way too much, which is amazing.

Well they have to be subtle. Sure they're friends, but Philip does still ask how things are going at work. He'll even follow-up. Beyond that he'll drop it because he's not an idiot.

I'm sure Paige was having a huge "ah-hah!" moment when she realized her spy parents were having her FBI Counter Intelligence agent neighbor over for dinner.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I loved the knives being sharpened during that scene :D

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This show plays the stan/russian relationship perfectly imo. It could have been really lovely and probably would have ruined the show but I really like how its almost a non issue

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

That and Lockheed built the F117 while the B2 was Northrop's project.

The F117 was a black project with a black budget while the B2 was gray. The Carter administration stated that they were looking to create a stealth bomber and appropriated funds for it. The F-117 also started earlier and flew earlier (which is why it also got retired earlier as the design was out of date)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The AV Club review had an insightful commentary on how they are leveraging the standard second kid problem in TV shows into good character beats for Henry. Generally the second kid in a show is superfluous, because all the meaty plot goes to one kid and there just isn't enough for the second character to do. So instead of making up a bunch of contrived poo poo (kind of like the breaking into houses to play games stuff from last season, imo), they just make it so that no one really pays attention to Henry. He just does his own thing, doesn't really care about what's going on, and is happy to get the attention he does. What good things they do with him is making him somewhat precocious and independent.

He also reminds me a bit of myself, I've always done my own thing and I was the kid at the dinner table asking other adults perhaps too pointed questions. I think pretty much all of us, though, have tried to explain an SNL skit to our parents while they stared at us blankly and nodded patronizingly.

Love JP
Apr 3, 2015

by Ralp
How old is Paige supposed to be on the show? I'm just wondering why the Soviets want Paige involved. I can't think of too many plausible ways in which she could be used right now. The only thing I could think of is maybe filming herself having sex with a high level politician, or business man and blackmailing him with the video.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Love JP posted:

How old is Paige supposed to be on the show? I'm just wondering why the Soviets want Paige involved. I can't think of too many plausible ways in which she could be used right now. The only thing I could think of is maybe filming herself having sex with a high level politician, or business man and blackmailing him with the video.

I'm pretty sure they just want to indoctrinate her into the cause right now because she's young and impressionable, and that the plan for her in the longterm is to have her go through college and get a job in a government agency.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love JP posted:

15. Same age as Kimmy.

Yeah they don't want her doing ops or anything right now, the endgame is to get her into the FBI or CIA or other similar high profile agency where she'll be able to pass background checks.

Of course they might accelerate that timetable if they knew they only had 7 years left :smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Love JP posted:

They want someone working for them but with a 100% unimpeachable American-as-apple-pie background to be able run for CIA director (or something like that).

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

Of course they might accelerate that timetable if they knew they only had 7 years left :smith:

In a shocking twist, Phillip and Elizabeth prevent the collapse of the Soviet Union. :ussr:

qbert posted:

I'm pretty sure they just want to indoctrinate her into the cause right now because she's young and impressionable, and that the plan for her in the longterm is to have her go through college and get a job in a government agency.

I wonder how much of that we'll see this season, or if familiarizing Paige with Soviet ideology will be pushed off until next year. It's a plot line that has a ton of potential and is so different from anything they've covered before.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 3, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Russia still had spies after the collapse of the USSR. It's not like they quit being the most paranoid country in earth overnight in 91. I'd like to see what happens to their spies as Russia transitioned into its current kleptocratic mafia state.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

comes along bort posted:

I'd like to see what happens to their spies as Russia transitioned into its current kleptocratic mafia state.

they become president

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tipping Pastor Tim will be trying to dip his fingers in the underage cookie jar and Phill will be hypocritically outraged!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya i totes got that sense during the travel agent scene last ep

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

comes along bort posted:

Russia still had spies after the collapse of the USSR. It's not like they quit being the most paranoid country in earth overnight in 91. I'd like to see what happens to their spies as Russia transitioned into its current kleptocratic mafia state.

Spinoff with Henry and Stan as FBI agents.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Crossover with the X-Files.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

withak posted:

They want someone working for them but with a 100% unimpeachable American-as-apple-pie background to be able run for CIA director (or something like that).

I don't even think it's supposed to be anything that big. They basically want to turn her into Martha, but better. Someone in a trusted position with the FBI or CIA who can pass along classified materials and other information.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What worries me is exactly the fact that Paige is 15. She might have let ~Jesus into her heart~, but there's one thing she possesses now that all 15 year old girls would quite literally kill for, 'godly' or not...

...ultimate leverage over *both* of her parents.

This could lead to all sorts of bullshit that I hope the writers of the show don't decide to take advantage of, like:

"Hey, let me go to Africa with Pastor Tim or I'll tell Mr. Beeman you're both spies."
"Hey Dad...you know, your Camaro's really nice. Oh, by the way, I'm 15 and I'll be getting my driver's license soon. ~JUST SAYIN'~."
"Hey Mom...give me a hundred dollars to go shopping or I'll tell Mr. Beeman you and Dad are spies."
"Tell your Russian friends that I want front-row tickets to (insert concert here) or I'll tell."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 3, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

FuriousGeorge posted:

For all the horrific poo poo they've seen and done I don't think I've seen Phil and Liz look more terrified than while confronting their teenage daughter.
That's what really made this episode for me. The facial expressions and hesitation were amazing, especially when you think about the horrible stuff they've seen throughout the last 3 seasons and whatever happened backstory-wise.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Love JP posted:

what's this teenage girl good for except loving?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Love JP posted:

gross

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Love JP posted:

How old is Paige supposed to be on the show? I'm just wondering why the Soviets want Paige involved. I can't think of too many plausible ways in which she could be used right now.

Yup, that's the way the spy business works.

"Boop, you're a spy now." No training required. Now go gently caress a senator, dear.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Let's also reflect on the fact that kids nowadays don't need spank banks like Henry's, they just need thumb drives that they, much like Victoria's Secret and Frederick's of Hollywood catalogs of old, also stupidly leave lying about and not secured after use.

Memmmmmmorrrrrieeeeeeeessss, like the color of my minnnnnddddd...

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The F117 was a black project with a black budget while the B2 was gray. The Carter administration stated that they were looking to create a stealth bomber and appropriated funds for it. The F-117 also started earlier and flew earlier (which is why it also got retired earlier as the design was out of date)

Maybe good for the Russians it's the B-2, because the F-117 seems flawed. I may be talking out of my rear end, but when i hear F-117 the first thing that comes to mind is "shot down by Chetniks with a Soviet relic".

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Let's also reflect on the fact that kids nowadays don't need spank banks like Henry's, they just need thumb drives that they, much like Victoria's Secret and Frederick's of Hollywood catalogs of old, also stupidly leave lying about and not secured after use.

Memmmmmmorrrrrieeeeeeeessss, like the color of my minnnnnddddd...

This did take me back, actually. Never clipped stuff out of magazines, but my first experience back in 1990 or so was the older kid across the street's stash of Playboys hidden above one of the ceiling tiles in his room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love JP
Apr 3, 2015

by Ralp

Officer Sandvich posted:

what's this teenage girl good for except loving?

Pretty much. No access to sensitive info. Doesn't have the stomach for murder. It would take years to achieve a high ranking in any intelligence agency. Right now all she can offer is her young body.

• Locked thread