Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

rabidsquid posted:

Any number is too many because the best case scenario it's a kind of bad Pacifism and worst case scenario you get infinity for one'd when they remove your Master of Waves in response.

On the other hand it's FNM so jam as many as makes you happy

This is the philosophy I live by.

Also I'm relying on 4 Stratus Dancer to hopefully add resiliency to my Master of Waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

qbert posted:

Something's wrong with me. I'm actually sitting here eagerly hoping my Shorecrasher Elementals arrive in the mail in time for me to play Mono-U at tomorrow's FNM.

Question: Is 3 Mirror Mockery too cute for the deck? It's such a weak form of "removal", even for blue, yet the potential to stick one on my own Master of Waves feels too stupidly enticing to give up.
That sounds awesome but realistically if you're attacking with MoW then you have already won.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Yawgmoth posted:

That sounds awesome but realistically if you're attacking with MoW then you have already won.

I don't think you can ever have enough 1/0's in play.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I've acquired a cadre of assholes who follow me around and shitpost after pretty much everything I say no matter what it is regardless of the topic.

You don't finish 3rd because of 1 SB card usually.

You do when it's combined with the greatest thief in the multiverse.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

Something's wrong with me. I'm actually sitting here eagerly hoping my Shorecrasher Elementals arrive in the mail in time for me to play Mono-U at tomorrow's FNM.

Question: Is 3 Mirror Mockery too cute for the deck? It's such a weak form of "removal", even for blue, yet the potential to stick one on my own Master of Waves feels too stupidly enticing to give up.

Mirror Mockery is too cute in any deck, even EDH.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

You do when it's combined with the greatest thief in the multiverse.

What decks play Drink Faygo? I thought he was really more of a legacy guy to steal moxes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

What decks play Drink Faygo? I thought he was really more of a legacy guy to steal moxes.

That's Vintage you're thinking of, and Eternal Weekend was legacy. Dack really is absurdly good in the right deck. In this case, that deck was Grixis Tezzerator.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Even on a Master of Waves, Mirror Mockery just doesn't do enough in games you weren't already winning anyway. When you attack with a Master of Waves and a bunch of elementals, you get another master which gives all your elementals +1/+1... but then the Master with Mirror Mockery on it gets blocked and dies and if that attack wasn't lethal you end the turn with no masters and no elementals, Unless your opponent had zero non-red creatures with power greater than zero.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Entropic posted:

Even on a Master of Waves, Mirror Mockery just doesn't do enough in games you weren't already winning anyway. When you attack with a Master of Waves and a bunch of elementals, you get another master which gives all your elementals +1/+1... but then the Master with Mirror Mockery on it gets blocked and dies and if that attack wasn't lethal you end the turn with no masters and no elementals, Unless your opponent had zero non-red creatures with power greater than zero.

Yeah it's too cute. I was thinking Thassa and Bident could clear the way for a MoW attack, but that's just too much setup for the jankiest of jank plays.

I'm just going to replace them with Singing Bell Strike and call it a day.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's only really one good place for Mirror Mockery, and that's a draft deck with a bunch of exploit creatures.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Yo, bro. Let's talk about Robots. Cranially plated Robots. RIP artifact lands.

Is Phyrexian Metamorph an honorary robot

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

That's Vintage you're thinking of, and Eternal Weekend was legacy. Dack really is absurdly good in the right deck. In this case, that deck was Grixis Tezzerator.

Isn't that deck like, Tier 2 at best?

Because if I had something to play Faygo in, I would.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah I meant Vintage, which is why I was confused he was played in a legacy event.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Isn't that deck like, Tier 2 at best?

Because if I had something to play Faygo in, I would.

Probably more because not a lot of people play it than because it's not good. It's got a lot of game against a lot of popular decks. It's really bad against BGx and Young Pyromancer though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah I meant Vintage, which is why I was confused he was played in a legacy event.

Dack + Chains is a hymnn every turn.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What would it take for Monastery Mentor to be significantly playable in Modern? The card is seeing some play in an Esper deck with 4x Thought Scour and 4x Serum Visions but I'm not actually sure how effective that deck really is.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

What would it take for Monastery Mentor to be significantly playable in Modern? The card is seeing some play in an Esper deck with 4x Thought Scour and 4x Serum Visions but I'm not actually sure how effective that deck really is.

Cantrips that aren't hot garbage

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

Dack + Chains is a hymnn every turn.

All for the low price of 5 mana and 2 cards!

I'm aware as to what the interaction does, I just haven't seen any decks that run Dack.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Cantrips that aren't hot garbage

Make it so

E:

Sigma-X posted:

All for the low price of 5 mana and 2 cards!

I'm aware as to what the interaction does, I just haven't seen any decks that run Dack.

One card being hilariously good against Brainstorm decks and the other being great for utility and the odd Shardless Agent jacking

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Make it so

E:

One card being hilariously good against Brainstorm decks and the other being great for utility and the odd Shardless Agent jacking

yeah again the answer I was looking for was not "what do these cards do" but rather "what deck are they played in" and the answer is apparently grixis tezzerator.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

The only scenario I can see Mentor being playable is one where for some reason the big removal spell of choice is Pyroclasm and it stops you from playing the significantly better with cantrips Young Pyromancer

oh and also people don't play creatures too

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

The only scenario I can see Mentor being playable is one where for some reason the big removal spell of choice is Pyroclasm and it stops you from playing the significantly better with cantrips Young Pyromancer

oh and also people don't play creatures too

The advantage to Mentor over Pyro is that Pyro needs to go unanswered for a couple of turns to swing a game whereas if you untap with Mentor and a hand you can often either win or get so far ahead that you might as well have won immediately (in Modern at least).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The advantage to Mentor over Pyro is that Pyro needs to go unanswered for a couple of turns to swing a game whereas if you untap with Mentor and a hand you can often either win or get so far ahead that you might as well have won immediately (in Modern at least).

Yeah, if something like Dig Through Time were legal I'm not sure it would even be close.

Pyromancer comes out earlier and leaves a mana open but a mentor with 2-3 spells behind it is really tough to beat even in modern

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also one of the things that makes Mentor good in Vintage is that it triggers on artifacts, such as Moxes. There are not a lot of cheap artifacts and/or draw spells in Modern.

Now I kind of want to see someone put Mentor in an Affinity deck; play Thoughtcast into Welding Jar, make 2 tokens? :wow: I'm sure that would be terrible, sadly.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Joe Lossett has apparently added 2 copies of mentor to his miracles sideboard. He just closed out a round in the daily by waiting for his opponent to tap out, and then juggling 2 tops off his deck until the prowess triggers let him do over 20 damage.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Joe Lossett has apparently added 2 copies of mentor to his miracles sideboard. He just closed out a round in the daily by waiting for his opponent to tap out, and then juggling 2 tops off his deck until the prowess triggers let him do over 20 damage.

Seems good.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I am proud my only loss in Modern tonight was to a bazillion-dollar Jund deck. Thank god all the horrible Abzan players are quarantined to the suburbs.

e: I was fish player #3 though, so it looks like it's time to switch it up.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
If Merfolk is a decent chunk of your meta the greatest sideboard card for the mirror is Merfolk Assassin.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BXCX posted:

If Merfolk is a decent chunk of your meta the greatest sideboard card for the mirror is Merfolk Assassin.

One of the hardest counters to Merfolk tribal is Coat of Arms Changelings

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Guys, guys, modern has the perfect tool to assist master of waves. For ZERO mana you can make your tokens live, even if the master gets removed.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205031

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

Also one of the things that makes Mentor good in Vintage is that it triggers on artifacts, such as Moxes. There are not a lot of cheap artifacts and/or draw spells in Modern.

More than that: boards in Vintage tend to have few or no creatures. Boards in Legacy have more but still tend to be creature-light compared to Modern. Modern is the creature format for good or for ill in most cases, so even if you have 6+ pyromancer tokens the likely result is swinging out, half of them get blocked and killed, then you can't afford to attack again until you've built up your board a little. Mentor on the other hand makes blocking nightmarishly difficult, especially if you're playing the kind of Jeskai control deck that card slots into and you have open mana and a grip of spells.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toshimo posted:

Uhh...

My original post was a sarcastic quip about how Peek is actually a thing (in the context that cantrips have been banned into the ground so WotC could have this elegant, yet garbage format).

You are actually agreeing with my point.

The problem came in when functional illiterate and forum superstar mcmagic came in to tell me that "literally all Twin decks have switched from Probe to Peek". I easily showed how that was demonstrably wrong in about 30 seconds of work.

Then mcmagic, Angry Grimace, and the shitpost brigade proceeded to have a whinefest that drowned the thread in a singularity of suck.

This is a cycle that happens pretty often:
Step 1: mcmagic posts some idiot poo poo that makes no sense.
Step 2: Somebody calls him out on his dumb poo poo.
Step 3: He whines about how he's ~terribly persecuted~.

Turns out he's the only one with this problem because he's the perfect storm of worst poster and most prolific poster in the thread.

You have turned the meta zero content shitpost into an art form.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you're going by the make a lot of tokens strategy Pyromancer is just better since it comes down a turn earlier and Lightning Bolt is still a card. I thought Jeskai control would board a few mentors but that deck is just very poorly positioned and no one seems to play it.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 3, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Please stop quoting Toshimo in this thread

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
as the guy who ran the tournament spawned to make fun of mcmagic's opinion on chains the bad posts trying to burn him are just as bad as anything he posts. plz at least be funny tyia

as a magician i want to also say the third thunderdome will prob start soon and it will be legacy so GET HYPE

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

okay I won't drop out this time

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

black potus posted:

third thunderdome will prob start soon and it will be legacy so GET HYPE

Hoping I get to take part!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

black potus posted:

as a magician i want to also say the third thunderdome will prob start soon and it will be legacy so GET HYPE

As someone looking into legacy I would like to participate!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Apparently First Response(well, an old version of First Response) was a Standard powerhouse in FFL

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

All this is telling me is that First Response is the reason Siege Rhino exists as it is today.

So I'm going to go burn all my copies of it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That was a cool story about nerfing a potentially playable card into oblivion for dumb reasons.

"More than just that, we found the gameplay of the card very frustrating when it was good. Each turn, a player would get two tokens per First Response. It was almost impossible to fight through unless you had a ton of creatures with evasion, and control decks had a hard time dealing with the onslaught."

If only there was a million cheap ways to hate on enchantments or control decks had ways to clear the board. Do people in FFL not run sideboards?

• Locked thread