Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress was she like in the Japanese version for people to think she is assertive at all in the English one? :psyduck:

~moe~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

She's still going for that in the English one

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Power Rankings: Cynthia > Lucina > Owain > Brady > Kjelle > Noire > *free space* Morgan > Severa > Inigo > Laurent > Nah > Yarne > Gerome

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Scrap Dragon posted:

Super disappointed that Chrom can't marry Tharja, having him and the avatar marry each other's stalkers would've been funny as hell

Oh man that would have been great. Chrom needed some more pairings really.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

epitasis posted:

Power Rankings: Cynthia > Lucina > Owain > Brady > Kjelle > Noire > *free space* Morgan > Severa > Inigo > Laurent > Nah > Yarne > Gerome

severa should be way higher

otherwise good taste

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah I could hear arguments for Severa as high as fifth. and Inigo could probably deviate all the way down to second from the bottom tbh

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, gently caress you, Gerome's awesome. He's such a dorky broody guy on the surface and every single one of his supports is making fun of him. Also he was afraid of heights.

Yarne is poo poo tier through and through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress was she like in the Japanese version for people to think she is assertive at all in the English one? :psyduck:
she actually has a vague personality in the us version and even expresses her own thoughts and views wtf

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Yarne is the only kid who isn't loving rad as hell.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yarne is the only kid who isn't loving rad as hell.

When I was stupid I tried to grind out everyones supports. I can easily qualify with gently caress Yarne. The definition of a character with no redeeming qualities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I paired Cordelia up with Gaius, and they mostly just talk about how he has chewed gum in his pocket or whatever. I never even noticed that she was supposed to be obsessed with Chrom until people pointed it out to me later.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Official power ranking

Owain > Cynthia > everyone else > Laurent >>>>>>>> Yarne

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only good thing about yarne is he still calls himself the taguel's only hope for survival even if you marry panne and have morgan, who is also half-taguel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

the only good thing about yarne is he still calls himself the taguel's only hope for survival even if you marry panne and have morgan, who is also half-taguel.

Maybe he's secretly racist and thinks sister morgan is lower than dirt for not showing taguel features

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I still don't get how anyone likes Laurent. He's so goddamn boring.

I like Nah a lot just because she's a good counterpart to the mess that is Nowi.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I legit can't even comprehend how she could be LESS assertive than she already is. She's one of the few characters I don't like because she talks like someone ripped out her spine.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When character's have same gendered supports in Awakening they were usually a lot better I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I legit can't even comprehend how she could be LESS assertive than she already is. She's one of the few characters I don't like because she talks like someone ripped out her spine.
she raised her voice once

bobjr posted:

When character's have same gendered supports in Awakening they were usually a lot better I think.
yeah. there's some okay m/f supports though. kellam and tharja and gregor and tharja for instance.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Internet Kraken posted:

I still don't get how anyone likes Laurent. He's so goddamn boring.

I like Nah a lot just because she's a good counterpart to the mess that is Nowi.

she expresses an opinion at least once my friend

e: also you have clearly never seen Laurent's support with Noire, it owns

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That support is good because its the only time I can think of where Laurent doesn't play the part of the straight man for the entire thing. In every other support he's just super serious and practical all the time, and not in a funny way like Frederick.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TheKingofSprings posted:

Olivia is probably the wost character in that game, and it's kind of terrifying to think she's even worse in Japanese. Like, drat.

Also, being a giant fighting rabbit means Yarne can't be anything but awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a lot of great M/F conversation trees. The problem is that some characters' entire support convo is really bad that it brings down the average, like Kellam. Goddamn, Kellam and Yarne are the perfect examples of failing either having a variety of topics during conversations, or twisting the gimmick enough that it's interesting I.E. Frederick, Owain.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

she expresses an opinion at least once my friend

e: also you have clearly never seen Laurent's support with Noire, it owns

I have literally never seen a Laurent support

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Momomo posted:

Also, being a giant fighting rabbit means Yarne can't be anything but awesome.
Except practically all of his supports involve Yarne constantly reminding people that he's a coward, and/or Yarne admitting he prioritizes his own survival over everything else in order to preserve the taguel race. His support with his father (regardless of who it is) is all about Yarne being suspicious of his father interacting with other women besides Panne because Yarne somehow thinks this will lead to Yarne never existing. Granted, his A and S supports have him drop the cowardice (somewhat) and man up and do awesome stuff, like in his A support with Nah, where he fights off a bunch of kidnappers single-handedly who are trying to kidnap Nah.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Morgan/Inigo, and Morgan/Brady are also really good opposite gender supports. But that's probably because female Morgan is easily the best character in the game.

Awakening's problem is that a lot of the dialogue you're going to see in the game is just the generic conversations and they all have everything to do with the character's one note-gimmicks. A lot of the supports actually have them branch out a but the vast majority of the dialogue you'll see is really poor. Cordelia will only talk about Chrom, Kellam just wants to be noticed, Lon-Qu is afraid of women etc. Some characters have it good and get two gimmicks so Stahl will either talk about being hungry or about being average, Sumia likes Chrom and is clumsy, and Tharja is a stalker and also evil. The supports actually tend to be written much better even if most are kind of uninteresting because they needed to give every character like 20 supports.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Awakening's support trees were written as if you will see them once per playthrough, so that's why I don't judge as harshly if they step on the same issues with a different person. The problem is if that person's gimmick overpowers other characters often, like Kellam. Kellam for 90% of his conversations across both genders is about him being invisible, with 10% mayyyybe about his farm life. And they are all done in the same way, very little twist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Morgan/Inigo, and Morgan/Brady are also really good opposite gender supports. But that's probably because female Morgan is easily the best character in the game.

Awakening's problem is that a lot of the dialogue you're going to see in the game is just the generic conversations and they all have everything to do with the character's one note-gimmicks. A lot of the supports actually have them branch out a but the vast majority of the dialogue you'll see is really poor. Cordelia will only talk about Chrom, Kellam just wants to be noticed, Lon-Qu is afraid of women etc. Some characters have it good and get two gimmicks so Stahl will either talk about being hungry or about being average, Sumia likes Chrom and is clumsy, and Tharja is a stalker and also evil. The supports actually tend to be written much better even if most are kind of uninteresting because they needed to give every character like 20 supports.

Lon'Qu has some decent supports, like with Gregor, but it is hard to have a bad support with Gregor.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Lon'Qu has some decent supports, like with Gregor, but it is hard to have a bad support with Gregor.

That's what I mean. A lot of characters come off as more interesting in supports than in the generic conversation you'll see frequently throughout the game. Unless you're like Kellam.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's kinda interesting how different characters sorta form a 'chain of backstory', like Tharja -> Gregor -> Cherche -> Lon'qu. It's not quite to the point of mutual exclusivity, but it's fun seeing how different characters bring out different elements of a character or explore different parts of their past.

Unfortunately there's a few one-dimensional duds who kinda spoil things, like Miriel and Kellam. And then there's stuff like Panne and Ricken's support, where a seemingly important element of the story (there are/were other types of taguel in the world!) gets completely brushed over so Ricken can be obnoxious.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Panne is another one of those characters I don't get. In some supports she seems distant but still open towards interacting with others. Then there are supports where she just tells everyone to gently caress off and acts like a brooding jerk.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Panne is another one of those characters I don't get. In some supports she seems distant but still open towards interacting with others. Then there are supports where she just tells everyone to gently caress off and acts like a brooding jerk.

She gives respect when given respect, and especially to those that have interest in learning about the Taguel. Compare Vaike who does none of the above and gets chewed out by Panne, while Gauis's silly candy quest is met more favorably because it involved Taguel trees.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nowi makes Gregor a sweater out of her own skin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

she raised her voice once

yeah. there's some okay m/f supports though. kellam and tharja and gregor and tharja for instance.

I thought Gaius and Maribelle's was pretty great.

Really surprising, too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yarne has cool supports, like the ones where his dialogue is something like "Stop calling me a bunny!" but the voice clip that accompanies it is the "Don't mess with bunnies!!" one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/02/fire-emblem-screenshots-takes-us-inside-black-kingdom-white-kingdom/

New info:
-Nohr is limited resource Fire Emblem, like 7 and below
-Hoshido is like 8, Awakening in having an open world

That's why they're calling Nohr harder, because of limited resources.

Also, :siren: Game will be released June 25th in Japan :siren:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought Gaius and Maribelle's was pretty great.

Really surprising, too.

Gaius and Maribelle's support is one of the few i'd expect to see in other FE games because it's not just two characters interacting and actually fleshes out both of their pasts and motivations and has concrete character development.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/02/fire-emblem-screenshots-takes-us-inside-black-kingdom-white-kingdom/

New info:
-Nohr is limited resource Fire Emblem, like 7 and below
-Hoshido is like 8, Awakening in having an open world

That's why they're calling Nohr harder, because of limited resources.

Also, :siren: Game will be released June 25th in Japan :siren:

So Nohr is love, Nohr is life.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
We should ruthlessly mock people who choose Hoshido imo.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So that's what this thread is gonna be huh? Just one massive, incestuous, furious circlejerk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hoshido is probably going to have the better story at least because I don't trust IntSys to handle a more complex story better than a simple one.