Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rucka had a good Punisher run that wrapped up with a Punisher: War Zone mini that badly wrapped up the plots because he was clearly rushed off the book pretty quickly.

Not a lot of people around here love it but I loved Remender's Punisher run. The first half is pretty grim and dark for 616 but the second half is FrankenCastle.

I never really got into Ennis' Punisher but everyone else loved it so something is probably wrong with me.

Jason Aaron's Punisher Max is pretty awesome as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Zachack posted:

If you mean Secret Wars/Battle World, you need to read Avengers and New Avengers. Also Infinity when that occurs. Some small elements of the main story are filled in elsewhere but aren't necessary. You may also want to read Hickman's run on F4 as it is great and also kinda feeds into the running story.

New Avengers is literally an Illuminati comic.

The current run when I read some of it wasn't aggressively bad but it also wasn't worth reading unless you gotta have more Punisher. I don't know which Max run you're referring to but if it was the Ennis run you may want to give the Aaron run a shot, and vice-versa.

Guess I'll need to grab all those New Avengers.

Yeah it was Ennis Punisher that I was reading.

redbackground posted:

Garth Ennis has a new Punisher mini coming out soon detailing Frank's first TOD in Nam, which should be great.

That is pretty cool, I remember the first Punisher in Nam story he did.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Jason Aaron's Punisher Max is pretty awesome as well.

Did he pick up after Ennis ended his run? I think I remember picking up his first story.

Thanks guys, I now have an idea of were to spend my money!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aaron picks up Ennis' run. It's good, but very different. Ennis' stuff is very well self contained

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
If you like Darth Vader, definitely check out Kieron Gillen's other work, especially Wicked and the Divine and his X-Men run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I keep reading WicDiv hoping I'll fall in love with it and it's just not happening. I'm not sure what it is. I think his work on Loki and Young Avengers were better than either of those, really.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I keep reading WicDiv hoping I'll fall in love with it and it's just not happening. I'm not sure what it is. I think his work on Loki and Young Avengers were better than either of those, really.

I'm the same. I always feel like I'm not cool enough to have any of it resonate with me. It doesn't help that people keep coming along and saying it's fantastic without explaining why; I want it to be fantastic! I don't understand!

e: That feeling of total dad-at-a-disco style alienation is something I get with all Gillen's work, though, so it might just be me. It's disconcerting to feel that way about a creator who is over a decade older than you.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 1, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's pretty much how I feel about WicDiv, in particular, but not Gillen's stuff as a whole. I think I need to start doing drugs to get it, but I feel like if I was going to do that, I should have done it before my relationship with a drug addict ended so I wouldn't have gotten angry when she wanted to get stoned instead of spending time together.

Man, that got weird.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm enjoying Morrison's New X-Men run on Marvel Unlimited, but I've heard that most of the non-Morrison X-comics in the early 2000s are aggressively terrible while the modern X-comics are generally pretty good. At what point in the series' history does it become reasonable to start reading everything, rather than looking for individual Internet-recommended diamonds floating in a lake of Chuck Austen?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm enjoying Morrison's New X-Men run on Marvel Unlimited, but I've heard that most of the non-Morrison X-comics in the early 2000s are aggressively terrible while the modern X-comics are generally pretty good. At what point in the series' history does it become reasonable to start reading everything, rather than looking for individual Internet-recommended diamonds floating in a lake of Chuck Austen?

Go from Morrison to Wheadon's Ashtonishing and then jump to the Marvel Now stuff.

Well, read House of M too I guess

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Go from Morrison to Wheadon's Ashtonishing and then jump to the Marvel Now stuff.

Well, read House of M too I guess

And then stop once they all start get written by Bendis.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Soonmot posted:

And then stop once they all start get written by Bendis.

Really? I liked his Daredevil run a lot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'Cept for the resolution of Uncanny's last long storyline, I like em a lot.

e: And the Battle of the Atom crossover.
ee: Sucks, that is.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 2, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

Really? I liked his Daredevil run a lot.

His Daredevil is classic. His X-Men is a display of all his worst qualities as a writer. Snarky characters without their own, established voices, plot lines that go nowhere or just vanish, and hyper-decompression. Sometimes, individual issues are good, but taken as a whole, his X-Men run is kind of terrible.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I was reading some comics and the whole marvel smoosh stuff. I was interested in the ultimate fantastic four reed richards thing. So I went and found all of the ultimate fantastic four and the fallout stuff but it just ended with Reed floating in space and then I guess going white and making a thunderdome for smart kids? I cannot seem to figure out how we got from there to here and the internet isn't helping me. I got the whole future foundation stuff (hickmans run) because I thought that might be it (spiderman in marvel heroes has a costume like he had on) but it was just his kids doin science poo poo not a negative zone battle royal. What do I read to figure this out?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ramadu posted:

So I was reading some comics and the whole marvel smoosh stuff. I was interested in the ultimate fantastic four reed richards thing. So I went and found all of the ultimate fantastic four and the fallout stuff but it just ended with Reed floating in space and then I guess going white and making a thunderdome for smart kids? I cannot seem to figure out how we got from there to here and the internet isn't helping me. I got the whole future foundation stuff (hickmans run) because I thought that might be it (spiderman in marvel heroes has a costume like he had on) but it was just his kids doin science poo poo not a negative zone battle royal. What do I read to figure this out?

Are you looking for his heel turn in particular? There was a mini event called Ultimate Comics Doomsday, it's collected throughout Ultimate Enemy #1-4, Ultimate Mystery #1-4 and Ultimate Doom #1-4.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Waterhaul posted:

Are you looking for his heel turn in particular? There was a mini event called Ultimate Comics Doomsday, it's collected throughout Ultimate Enemy #1-4, Ultimate Mystery #1-4 and Ultimate Doom #1-4.

See I read those. It ends with him floating off into space when his crystal place blew up. At the end of Ultimate Fallout he is sitting in the remains of it and teleports himself away to some jungle and then hes running a battle dome. I also frankly didn't understand really WHY he did the heel turn at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's only factored into the regular universe very recently in Jonathan Hickman's Avengers #41.

e: The series with Ulti-Reed just popping up suddenly with his city was Hickman's story (and so is Secret Wars) and as far as I remember it was never too concerned with how he got there, so don't you worry about it either :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 3, 2015

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Yeah I know that since I read all the Avengers/New Avengers stuff. But I'm talking about this thing with burnt face Reed leading it,

Also Fury mentioned in one of the recent Avengers that he blew up Europe with this thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ramadu posted:

Yeah I know that since I read all the Avengers/New Avengers stuff. But I'm talking about this thing with burnt face Reed leading it,

Also Fury mentioned in one of the recent Avengers that he blew up Europe with this thing.

Ah that's Hickman's Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates. He does the first 12 issues before being upgraded to 616 Avengers. As for the heel turn there's no real motive behind it really. The Ultimate Universe needed a new Doom (hence why he gets scarred) and Reed kind of already fit the bill of one turn from going crazy.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Waterhaul posted:

Ah that's Hickman's Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates. He does the first 12 issues before being upgraded to 616 Avengers. As for the heel turn there's no real motive behind it really. The Ultimate Universe needed a new Doom (hence why he gets scarred) and Reed kind of already fit the bill of one turn from going crazy.

Jesus christ. I had this same loving problem with Miles Morales when trying to figure out how to read it. Why the hell can they not label this poo poo in any way comprehensible to someone who doesn't have decades of comic readership under their belt. I literally have never even heard of this and I must have gone to 50 or 60 websites tonight trying to figure this poo poo out before coming here. Thanks for the tip man.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Why the hell can they not label this poo poo in any way comprehensible to someone who doesn't have decades of comic readership under their belt.

"Jonathan Hickman's Ultimate Universe Avengers 2011 feat. Reed Richards as antagonist, which will be relevant again in 2015" #1

I'll agree with you on Ultimate Spider-Man. One relaunched series for the new guy, fine. Two? I know it was because of the Ultimate line relaunch. Still.

e: On the plus side Hick's Ultimates is pretty good!.. till it fizzles out in the last few co-written issues.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 3, 2015

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Ok. I found it and began reading it. When the gently caress did asgard appear in the sky?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Jesus christ. I had this same loving problem with Miles Morales when trying to figure out how to read it. Why the hell can they not label this poo poo in any way comprehensible to someone who doesn't have decades of comic readership under their belt. I literally have never even heard of this and I must have gone to 50 or 60 websites tonight trying to figure this poo poo out before coming here. Thanks for the tip man.

hahaha, I just had the same problem with the trades for Avengers/ New Avengers and I have been reading comics for decades.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ramadu posted:

Ok. I found it and began reading it. When the gently caress did asgard appear in the sky?

Wasn't that the end of Ultimates 2?

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Zachack posted:

Moebius had an actual western series called Blueberry but I've never read it and from descriptions I get the feeling it plays it straight. The best answer I can think of, but I don't know how you're going to accomplish this without more effort than it's probably worth, would be Heavy Metal Magazine from the 70s and early 80s (not sure after that). The line between western and fantasy gets really blurry in the stories but I'd say at least a couple of the serials were what you're looking for, although some of the stuff (Moebius in particular) seems either poorly translated or written for an audience that has a different set of reference points. Or maybe it's just poorly written. Or all three! That's definitely how I fell about a lot of Bilal's work.

On the sorta-plus side if you get enough into them you'll eventually get to read Steranko adapting the movie Outland (it's a space remake of High Noon) into a comic. Downside is that it's really wordy and from what I've read is almost a storyboard adaptation.

Hey thanks for this (not least for your correction of (even in my post you replied to) my absolute butchering of Jean Henri Gaston Giraud's nom de plume).

I read Justice Riders and it was a bit too cute for my liking. I guess that sort of thing is par the course in Elseworld tales? Art by JH Williams III was ok, but I was expecting a bit more of his signature experimentation. Page borders reminded me of his work on Seven Soldiers which was kind of neat.

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I read mostly Marvel, but I'm trying to see if there's anything I might like by DC. I read the first couple of New 52 Flash arcs (Mob Rule and Capt. Cold), but stopped after the team changed. I really liked the Azzarello Wonder Woman run, but again stopped when the team changed.

On the Marvel side, I'm reading Ms. Marvel, Daredevil and the most recent run of Deadpool. I tend to like light, street level adventure over anything "cosmic." Any suggestions for anything ongoing? Anything I should seek out in trades? I understand DC's gearing up for an event - should I just hold off for a few months?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

I read mostly Marvel, but I'm trying to see if there's anything I might like by DC. I read the first couple of New 52 Flash arcs (Mob Rule and Capt. Cold), but stopped after the team changed. I really liked the Azzarello Wonder Woman run, but again stopped when the team changed.

On the Marvel side, I'm reading Ms. Marvel, Daredevil and the most recent run of Deadpool. I tend to like light, street level adventure over anything "cosmic." Any suggestions for anything ongoing? Anything I should seek out in trades? I understand DC's gearing up for an event - should I just hold off for a few months?

Pick up Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, She-Hulk, and Moon Knight in trades. Superior Foes ended recently and is completely collected in three volumes, She-Hulk ended after 12 issues and was collected in two trades, and you want the one trade of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight run. Then we're all waiting for the long-delayed final issue of Hawkeye to come out, so a fourth and final trade is still a few months away. If you're enjoying Daredevil, you'll love them, and there was a recent Deadpool v. Hawkeye miniseries I've heard is also good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Modern Leper posted:

Anything I should seek out in trades? I understand DC's gearing up for an event - should I just hold off for a few months?

On the DC end, check out Batgirl (of Burnside) and Grayson. They both treat superheroics with a lighter touch.

The Convergence event is underway and really just a stopgap solution to sell *something* while DC moves offices from NY to CA. Specific parts of it might be good, but I'm waiting it out, especially while DC toys with $3.99 issue prices.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So would you guys suggesting one series and following it to the end/the most recent issue before moving on to the next or reading several at the same time because of crossovers and such? I'm reading New 52 stuff, and I've heard they have a number of crossover arcs and I'm worried if I just focus on one series at a time I'll miss stuff/things will be over my head/etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Modern Leper posted:

(Aside from the previous great recommendations) Squirrel Girl is pretty fun. Multiversity's one of the best things DC is doing at the moment but it's cosmic as gently caress at times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verranicus posted:

So would you guys suggesting one series and following it to the end/the most recent issue before moving on to the next or reading several at the same time because of crossovers and such? I'm reading New 52 stuff, and I've heard they have a number of crossover arcs and I'm worried if I just focus on one series at a time I'll miss stuff/things will be over my head/etc.
Depends on what you're reading, really. Sometimes there's crossovers, but single issues will tell you what to get next in those cases and they'll be collected together in trades so it won't make a big difference. I would never advocate reading a series you're not otherwise interested in just to make sense of a crossover. If you need to do that, the writers failed miserably in their jobs.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Pick up Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, She-Hulk, and Moon Knight in trades. Superior Foes ended recently and is completely collected in three volumes, She-Hulk ended after 12 issues and was collected in two trades, and you want the one trade of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight run. Then we're all waiting for the long-delayed final issue of Hawkeye to come out, so a fourth and final trade is still a few months away. If you're enjoying Daredevil, you'll love them, and there was a recent Deadpool v. Hawkeye miniseries I've heard is also good.

Thanks. I've got Marvel Unlimited, so I'm on or getting on all of these. Read Ellis' Moon Knight in real time - f'n fantastic.

Space Fish posted:

On the DC end, check out Batgirl (of Burnside) and Grayson. They both treat superheroics with a lighter touch.

The Convergence event is underway and really just a stopgap solution to sell *something* while DC moves offices from NY to CA. Specific parts of it might be good, but I'm waiting it out, especially while DC toys with $3.99 issue prices.

Liked the first new Batgirl. Will continue looking into that and Grayson. Thanks for the tip and advice re convergence.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Generally, just read what you want, but sometimes it stinks.

With the Superman Doomed crossover, Greg Pak and Charles Soule had just got Action comics and "Superman/Wonder Woman" and were making pretty nice stuff, but Scott Lobdell's 'Superman' was junk, so I didn't read his run up and never got a clear idea of why everyone in Smallville was in a coma or Lois had psychic powers.

If you were only reading Scott Snyder's Batman, suddenly he's spending an issue mourning Robin, an event that actually only happened in Batman Incorporated, and for a character that barely comes up in your series.

But then I've never felt the need to catch up on the Green Lantern books I haven't been reading when events come up with chapters across every related series and I think it's always been okay.

Plenty of comics never got touched with crossovers. Azzarello's Wonder Woman was mercifully free of any of the stuff going on in the Justice League books.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 11, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Squirrel Girl, Silk, Spider-Gwen and Spider-Woman all sound pretty up your alley, so far as ongoing Marvel books. SHIELD might be worth a look too.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Could anyone recommend something ongoing at Marvel at the moment that has the same feel as Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Not in high concept ideas but more in terms of a sense of adventure. Part of the reason I came to like the Fantastic Four (and Hickman's run got me starting reading back through a whooooollllleeee lot of FF) is that they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.

On a semi-similar note - Annihilation-era cosmic Marvel seemed to hit a lot of those notes that I'm looking for too, are any of the currently ongoing ones (Nova, Guardians, Star Lord I think?) worth jumping on?

I suppose in theory I'd be open to DC suggestions too but seeing the tail end of Johns' run on Green Lantern slide into Venditti's run I'm really not super optimistic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Could anyone recommend something ongoing at Marvel at the moment that has the same feel as Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Not in high concept ideas but more in terms of a sense of adventure. Part of the reason I came to like the Fantastic Four (and Hickman's run got me starting reading back through a whooooollllleeee lot of FF) is that they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.

On a semi-similar note - Annihilation-era cosmic Marvel seemed to hit a lot of those notes that I'm looking for too, are any of the currently ongoing ones (Nova, Guardians, Star Lord I think?) worth jumping on?

I suppose in theory I'd be open to DC suggestions too but seeing the tail end of Johns' run on Green Lantern slide into Venditti's run I'm really not super optimistic.

Hickman's New Avengers and Avengers is a good one. Exiles not by Claremont is another one. Excalibur (the original) is good if you can deal with Claremont's ticks. Astro City. Madman. Nova is really good and I am still a fan of Guardians.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The current Silver Surfer.

e: And Fraction/Allred FF is you stopped at Hickman.
ee: And then Charles Soule's She-Hulk. There are no alternate dimensions, but it's a great place to go after Allred FF.

eee: If you were a Lantern fan, jump over to Red Lanterns when Soule started with #21. That vastly improved at the same time GL went down.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 16, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.
Hellooooo, Exiles!
http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=1197

And the new X-Treme X-Men covers that too, I believe.
http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=37920

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno if Unlimited added all the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, but they added 500 comics. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I dunno if Unlimited added all the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, but they added 500 comics. Any recommendations?

Rogue Squadron.