Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I like Dungeon of the Endless, but the weapons seem poorly-distributed. I got the feeling while playing the game, but looking at the wiki confirms it:

+All but about one sword is high-class, so if you get one at all it's pretty likely to be really good.
+There aren't many machine guns, but they're all good.
-Spears run about 50/50 between 'good' and 'basically junk', but the really good sword and machine gun selection makes it seem worse.
-And maybe the two rarest pistols aren't crap, but the rest are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gurumin is a cute game but It seems to run into the Falcom tradition of having long-rear end unskippable cutscenes.

caveat: I actually only own YS Origin and Gurumin but dang those cutscenes are just about the only thing I don't like about these games.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Apr 3, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The cutscenes are cool the first time through, but yeah. I can understand it in Trails in the Sky, but something super action-focused like Ys Origin or Gurumin there really should be a button to skip cutscenes, especially with how much Gurumin is designed to be replayed. It's the one thing keeping me from replaying Ys Origin, I already know what the gently caress happened I just wanna get to the parts where I hit monsters with a huge-rear end sword.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

kazil posted:

The newest Tomb Raider and Anniversary are really the only Tomb Raiders I would recommend to anyone.

(And Anniversary only until that final, bullshit level)
I couldn't get past the Centaurs because of the bullshit wiimote controls.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
While I'm having a great time with Bloodborne, there is one thing that's bringing it down a little. Maybe I'm just not far enough in to have found a more interesting area, but I'm a little sick of all the environments being all dark. Is the world stuck in perpetual dusk or something?

Dark Souls certainly had its dark areas (looking at you tomb of the giants and blighttown), but I enjoyed how it was offset with some of the brighter areas like Anor Londo. I find the world more interesting/believable if you have these dark areas full of horrific enemies that you fight your way through when they're connected by places like valley of the drakes, that have no sense of "oppression" about them. I wish Bloodborne had more of that variety. Having to return to Hunter's dream doesn't help in making the game feel more like a world than a bunch of levels.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I've started Borderlands over playing with the Mechromancer. She's a ton of fun to play with except for when she gets shocked/set on fire/burned by acid. God drat the noise she makes is loving awful. She lets out a scream that's like nails on a chalkboard and it seems to go on forever. It's making me wish I'd bought Psycho instead.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MindlessHavok posted:

I've started Borderlands over playing with the Mechromancer. She's a ton of fun to play with except for when she gets shocked/set on fire/burned by acid. God drat the noise she makes is loving awful. She lets out a scream that's like nails on a chalkboard and it seems to go on forever. It's making me wish I'd bought Psycho instead.
Have you consider not getting set on fire because honestly that sounds like something you should avoid.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Have you consider not getting set on fire because honestly that sounds like something you should avoid.

poo poo I never thought of that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I actually also played Gaige and she does make awful sounds when she gets hit with a debuff. The thing dragging BL2 down for me was getting an insanely good shotgun from the final boss and not having interest in doing postgame content, making it kind of a waste.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Elysiume posted:

I actually also played Gaige and she does make awful sounds when she gets hit with a debuff. The thing dragging BL2 down for me was getting an insanely good shotgun from the final boss and not having interest in doing postgame content, making it kind of a waste.

Good loot exists in BL2? Because my thing dragging that game down is that even after a dozen hours all of my weapons were junk, even the rare ones. Kind of a problem for a Diablo-like to have such underwhelming drops.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I know you're not being serious but part of the problem is that it actually isn't something you can skill past no matter how good you are. Many enemies have effectively hitscan weapons and they can have elemental effects on them, so you get set on fire/electricity/corrosion effects no matter what. A number of other cases too (bosses with nova attacks, etc) where it's unavoidable.

I've played gaige more than any other vault hunter because anarchy is so great and fun to use, but you do have to put up with incredibly loud screaming at random times.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Chumpy posted:

Good loot exists in BL2? Because my thing dragging that game down is that even after a dozen hours all of my weapons were junk, even the rare ones. Kind of a problem for a Diablo-like to have such underwhelming drops.
Weapon drops were underwhelming and bad for most of the game which was pretty disappointing. The final gun I got was a legendary shotgun that shot like a million bullets that came out sideways and with anarchy it was a mess of me shredding everything that got in my face.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Weapon drops were underwhelming and bad for most of the game which was pretty disappointing. The final gun I got was a legendary shotgun that shot like a million bullets that came out sideways and with anarchy it was a mess of me shredding everything that got in my face.
Was it a Conference Call? Because you have a high chance of getting one from Jack.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chumpy posted:

Oh it's not just bad luck on my part?

Seems like good guns are few and far between in BL2. More often than not I'll come across a good gun but it'll be like 5-10 levels below me so while it's good, it's not great against the level of enemy I'm fighting.

In Borderlands 1 I had trouble juggling all the cool ridiculous weapons I had.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Isn't there some sort of pay to open awesome chests mechanic in BL2? I assumed the awful loot was to push you into doing that.

After beating it I've decided the worst thing about Bloodborne is the bullets/flasks being actual consumable items rather than recharge on rest. It's not an issue most of the time, but if you're banging your head against a boss you'll have to periodically stop to go farm items, in a game that doesn't really require dedicated grinding otherwise. Luckily in NG+ you get so many blood echoes you can just top off your flasks/bullets with your dregs after you finish leveling.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The whole different manufacturer=different gun thing kinda hosed up weapons honestly, there was a clear cut brand that was SUPER loving good(mostly vladof) and a bunch where just complete garbage, combine that with the very frustrating exotic drop rate and yeah, you spent a long time with poo poo guns.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Isn't there some sort of pay to open awesome chests mechanic in BL2? I assumed the awful loot was to push you into doing that.

No. Gearbox posts codes on their twitter account that give you keys to open a chest that always has blue/purple/eridian gear in it. There is no way to pay for the keys.

Alteisen posted:

The whole different manufacturer=different gun thing kinda hosed up weapons honestly, there was a clear cut brand that was SUPER loving good(mostly vladof) and a bunch where just complete garbage, combine that with the very frustrating exotic drop rate and yeah, you spent a long time with poo poo guns.

I thought the weapon manufacturers were a lot more balanced than in borderlands 1 at least, where things like tediore and torgue were almost always garbage but hyperion and S&S usually made god guns that beat most of the competition. In BL2 there are 8 brands of weapons and bandit is the only one I'd say is consistently trash, although due to manufacturers having stronger gimmicks there are often very weak weapon types for other manufacturers. It also means that some manufacturers work much better with some characters than others.

The terribad drop rates are what really make it feel like most of the manufacturers are no good.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Apr 4, 2015

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Hel posted:

The reboot was kinda bad when it came to the puzzles as well, mostly because there aren't that many of them and the game puts it's focus on combat instead, which IMO they failed to make interesting enough. I kinda wish someone would make a tomb raider-ish game focused on just the puzzles and platforming, with none of the boring combat in it.

I'm with you on this, but I did like the combat a lot better after I unlocked the counter kill.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gestalt Intellect posted:

No. Gearbox posts codes on their twitter account that give you keys to open a chest that always has blue/purple/eridian gear in it. There is no way to pay for the keys.

I thought the weapon manufacturers were a lot more balanced than in borderlands 1 at least, where things like tediore and torgue were almost always garbage but hyperion and S&S usually made god guns that beat most of the competition. In BL2 there are 8 brands of weapons and bandit is the only one I'd say is consistently trash, although due to manufacturers having stronger gimmicks there are often very weak weapon types for other manufacturers. It also means that some manufacturers work much better with some characters than others.

The terribad drop rates are what really make it feel like most of the manufacturers are no good.

My first playthrough of BL2 I co-oped the whole thing and between the four of us we found exactly one orange weapon (whatever that tier is called). The final boss fell on top of it so no one could pick it up. We liked it enough to do TVHM but gave up at Tiny Tina's lovely dlc. It got too tedious and Tiny Tina got too unfunny.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The thing dragging down Shovel Knight is that I have to be able to commit 30 minutes to an hour to play it or none of my progress is saved.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Tomb Raider: Underworld

It loving sucks?

I dunno what is wrong with this nonsense game. I am playing through the trilogy Legend/Anniversary/Underworld, and while Legend was clunky and had the most insanely terrible and literally impossible (on Hard) motorbike level, it was a good start with a fresh engine and was genuinely really fun in a lot of places. Then Anniversary was really good and fun and cool and sleek and I was loving STOKED for Underworld. Which has a wonderful, beautiful, impressive and bold first underwater level...

And then it stops being a good game. The puzzles are really boring, the level design is atrocious, the combat system is completely broken, the enemies are stupid (HOLY poo poo

SPIDERS

NO

IN EVERY LEVEL

they die in one hit so it's a complete and absolute nonissue but I am at like the 5th level and there is still SPIDERS HOLY drat with music cues and everything?!?!?!)

and the climbing/jumping/everything is terrible, like, what happened? Lara now has a walljump that works on just some random walls and some it doesn't, but I keep getting stuck on things because she jumps at them, not on them, and bounces off all physics-defying, mind-boggling, it's hilarious? It feels completely off and things happen at random, Anniversary was super tight, what is going on?

The game is glitchy beyond belief! Putting weights on floor switches, a common puzzle because Underworld does not have very creative puzzle design guys, is an exercise in frustration and merriment because the weights are programmed as soap cubes with severe bulimia, they slide effortlessly over the floor away from Lara, the pressure plate, reality.

I have just tried jumping to a column and Lara teleports twenty meters below and in front, pulls her self up a ledge someplace completely different, goes in her idle stance like

what

you have a problem with that

yes lara i do

something is not working out between us

YES IT IS YOU NOT ME

Haha, it's cool to see a completely different opinion than mine. I've played through every single TR and I rate Underworld as the best. I loved how entire levels were incorporated into one big puzzle. I liked how they finally fixed the ridiculously janky play control. The second level was the worst, though? Maybe your bad experiences are mainly derived from that buggy, wall-jump dependent level? Probably not, your opinion is fair

I do think I romanticize the puzzles a bit too much. Thinking back, they are primarily "walk around clicking on poo poo until something does something," but I loved that Mexico puzzle, where I really had to sit down and think.

It's also funny to see the majority of my gamer friends love the reboot, while I scream THERE ARE NO drat TOMBS OR PUZZLES WITH MORE THAN ONE PART

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My best friend is directing the newest Tales from the Borderlands, so if you've got a gripe let me know and I'll tell him

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

My best friend is directing the newest Tales from the Borderlands, so if you've got a gripe let me know and I'll tell him
The character "Crazy Uncle Hoegbottom" is totally missing and this isn't acceptable

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The problem with borderlands for me has been the lack of enemy variety.

So when I found a gun I actually liked halfway through, it just gradually got suckier while fighting the same enemies over and over.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Borderlands 2 had so much going on in it mechanically and visually (shooting the legs from under robots, bandits somersaulting in and out of cover, enemies that mutate and level up as you fight them, bouncing and/or cluster grenades, etc.) and yet it felt like less than the sum of its parts. I think part of it was the elemental rock-paper-scissors, which made me feel like I never had quite the right weapon for a situation, combined with a level scaling system that seemed to make enemies either pathetic one-bullet kills or tedious damage sponges without much middle ground. The loot aspect was pretty tiresome after a while too, but if the shooting was better that wouldn't have been such a problem for me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DStecks posted:

The thing dragging down Shovel Knight is that I have to be able to commit 30 minutes to an hour to play it or none of my progress is saved.

Become better

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The reason for this

StandardVC10 posted:

Borderlands 2 had so much going on in it mechanically and visually (shooting the legs from under robots, bandits somersaulting in and out of cover, enemies that mutate and level up as you fight them, bouncing and/or cluster grenades, etc.) and yet it felt like less than the sum of its parts.
is this.

quote:

a level scaling system that seemed to make enemies either pathetic one-bullet kills or tedious damage sponges without much middle ground.

There were actually many cool mechanics as you mentioned, like goliaths powering up if you shoot their helmet and then don't kill them quickly, varkids becoming more powerful when they evolve, robots having body parts that could be shot off, nomads giving orders to other enemies (combined with the best enemy lines I've ever heard in a game). It just didn't actually matter when it became a battle of numbers and scaling, because while those mechanics would work great in a shooter with hand-tuned balance, in BL2 you cannot skill your way through a fight if your gear just isn't up to the task, and you don't need to care about any of those enemy mechanics if you're overleveled/your gear is overpowered.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oh, well that's also pretty lovely. Who wants to read some game developer's twits.

quote:

Borderlands 2 had so much going on in it mechanically and visually (shooting the legs from under robots, bandits somersaulting in and out of cover, enemies that mutate and level up as you fight them, bouncing and/or cluster grenades, etc.) and yet it felt like less than the sum of its parts. I think part of it was the elemental rock-paper-scissors, which made me feel like I never had quite the right weapon for a situation, combined with a level scaling system that seemed to make enemies either pathetic one-bullet kills or tedious damage sponges without much middle ground. The loot aspect was pretty tiresome after a while too, but if the shooting was better that wouldn't have been such a problem for me.

It was kind of like Diablo 3 1.0 in that it seemed like it would be a cool game except that it was a loot game with really uninteresting loot. And of course there was the ridiculous scaling.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Chumpy posted:

Gibbed hacked the ever loving poo poo out of the PC version and gave us loot pinata codes which worked for everyone if you hosted multiplayer. You could make every enemy explode 30 miscellaneous drops or rig the lottery to only hand out legendaries. People would come hang out in the main city in my game and use the slots, or the chest with two random purples which suddenly required no keys and could be opened by anyone. No one would touch blues after a while, so we just lowered the drop rate down to a more reasonable level and made white green and blue disappear entirely from the drop pools.

There were actually many cool mechanics as you mentioned, like goliaths powering up if you shoot their helmet and then don't kill them quickly, varkids becoming more powerful when they evolve, robots having body parts that could be shot off, nomads giving orders to other enemies (combined with the best enemy lines I've ever heard in a game). It just didn't actually matter when it became a battle of numbers and scaling, because while those mechanics would work great in a shooter with hand-tuned balance, in BL2 you cannot skill your way through a fight if your gear just isn't up to the task, and you don't need to care about any of those enemy mechanics if you're overleveled/your gear is overpowered.

The scaling is only a problem because the XP curve is hosed. You can get bloated pretty easy and once you do if you have current level guns they're doing tons of damage to things which are a few levels lower than you and the game is completely trivial.

Which is incidentally completely solveable by maxing out your skill trees and then just manually setting your level to the same level as the enemies in the area so you never outpace the world. You can set yourself a level or two below if you want more challenge than that.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Apr 4, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ARPG loot drags down any game it's in including ARPGs.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had a hilarious bump in the road while trying for the speed run achievement in Shovel Knight. I beat the first three levels mostly. Near the end of the fight with Spectre Knight, I paused it to move some laundry to the dryer and then watched some TV. I came back, unpaused it, beat him, and quit to the main menu to see how much time I had racked up, autosaving in the process. The time I spent paused was added to the clock.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Gurumin is a really neat game, but I'm definitely seeing where they improved on it in Nayuta no Kiseki, most notably the platforming and special inputs. The inputs for special moves in Gurumin are way too sensitive, they go off if you even turn the slightest bit before attacking, which is horrible when it causes you to accidentally use your mid-air ground-smashing attack rather than your lock-on air kick that you use to bounce off of enemies on occasion. The platforming is kind of ruined by the movement in Gurumin, which feels extremely heavy and doesn't allow you to change your course mid-jump, as well as making it fairly difficult to judge your jumping distance. Nayuta no Kiseki definitely feels like a much tighter game in both regards, so I'm at least glad they learned from Gurumin and improved on all of its shortcomings there.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Finally mostly caught up with this thread. Maybe its been mentioned but I have a big one for Destiny. I really wanted to give the game a try, played through the first level and really enjoyed how everything played, just how amazing things looked, the general mood of things, etc. Then I started playing the second level, and about mid-way through, without any warning a teammate shows up mid-combat, and the enemies I was in the middle of shooting jumped from level 3 to level 25 and I got brutally slaughtered. I mean, co-op in games like this and BL is pretty drat fun, but I like to at least start playing through the game on my own first at least for a bit, to learn what the hell is going on and start making my own progress. I mean, I guess I could have stuck around and cheesed my way to a higher level by just sticking to the shadows while the other dude did all the work, but where the hell is the fun in that?

What's worse is that I couldn't seem to find any way whatsoever to play in a non co-op fashion, no option hidden in the menus, nothing. Maybe there's something I overlooked or just didn't look hard enough for, but it really disappointed me because the game was looking so cool from the hour or so I played it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Then I started playing the second level, and about mid-way through, without any warning a teammate shows up mid-combat, and the enemies I was in the middle of shooting jumped from level 3 to level 25 and I got brutally slaughtered. I mean, co-op in games like this and BL is pretty drat fun, but I like to at least start playing through the game on my own first at least for a bit, to learn what the hell is going on and start making my own progress. I mean, I guess I could have stuck around and cheesed my way to a higher level by just sticking to the shadows while the other dude did all the work, but where the hell is the fun in that?

Were you doing a mission or just wandering around? I've never heard of that happening before, but there are super high level enemies just wandering around in parts of the map. You might have stumbled into the area for the dlc sidequests.

There is an option to prevent people from joining in on you, it's something like going to the roster in the start menu then click on your name and adjust 'fireteam' settings.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

RBA Starblade posted:

Were you doing a mission or just wandering around? I've never heard of that happening before, but there are super high level enemies just wandering around in parts of the map. You might have stumbled into the area for the dlc sidequests.

There is an option to prevent people from joining in on you, it's something like going to the roster in the start menu then click on your name and adjust 'fireteam' settings.

Doing the second mission, it was 2 or 3 weeks ago but I distinctly remember being in a firefight with level 3 enemies, I glance to see that someone just joined my game, then the enemies I was just shooting were suddenly much higher level and my shots do nothing. Similar thing happened when I started the mission again the next day, cleared out the first area then someone joins and the next group of enemies are unkillable for me. I'll have to take another look at the settings then.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Drunk Nerds posted:

Haha, it's cool to see a completely different opinion than mine. I've played through every single TR and I rate Underworld as the best. I loved how entire levels were incorporated into one big puzzle. I liked how they finally fixed the ridiculously janky play control. The second level was the worst, though? Maybe your bad experiences are mainly derived from that buggy, wall-jump dependent level? Probably not, your opinion is fair

I do think I romanticize the puzzles a bit too much. Thinking back, they are primarily "walk around clicking on poo poo until something does something," but I loved that Mexico puzzle, where I really had to sit down and think.

It's also funny to see the majority of my gamer friends love the reboot, while I scream THERE ARE NO drat TOMBS OR PUZZLES WITH MORE THAN ONE PART
I just got Thor's Belt and still think it's awful :v:. I actually really like the idea they had for the preceding level, especially after I got a heart attack as soon as I saw the motorcycle. Legend was SO bad with those.

To explain the level: It's built around a big stadium in the middle, which has two overlooking balconies on which puzzles are which require one piece each to start. You have to get those pieces in two extra mini-dungeons. There is no necessary order for you to do the pieces in, so you can explore and get the "keys" to the puzzle to then do the puzzle. It sounds pretty cool.

But now the motorcycle part comes in. You get it to drive around because the level is pretty big, requiring a solid 30 seconds to a minute of travel time from one setpiece to the next (to reiterate: puzzle key 1, puzzle key 2, puzzle "lock" 1, puzzle "lock" 2, stadium entrance. The paths look pretty samey, so it's not entirely clear where to go. As the level does not guide you, it is entirely possible to arrive in the stadium, faff around, see the puzzle on the balcony, drive to the puzzle, you can't do anything with it, drive to the next puzzle, can't do anything, drive around some more, find temple, find key, drive back to the puzzle...it's the wrong puzzle.

At the end, after you assembled everything, a huge contraption in the stadium opens up (if you solved both puzzles). But! The opening is timed, which is not entirely clear (I think). So I missed it the first time and it closed again while I was driving from puzzle to stadium. So I drove back to the puzzle...which remained solved...and I saw that the other puzzle had unsolved itself :suicide:. So another drive to the other side of the level, solve that puzzle again (exactly the same motions), then drive to the stadium in time to solve it.

Again, the openness of it all is pretty unique and I appreciate the mixing it up, but good lord did it take a long while to figure out where to go and what to do in which order while driving around endlessly (at least that worked fine). Other Tomb Raider puzzles could be similarily involved (solve one side, then the other, then the middle opens up, each requiring a climb/fight/mini-puzzle), but they usually were linear, so you had to do one side first. This is restrictive, but I think ultimately better if done well - it can easily seem to the player that he chose one side to do first of his own (because the way there was "easier" to find or "more obvious") without even realizing that this was, in fact, the only way to go. Constantly arriving at a central place again and again through different routes can be really amazing (many of the best Zelda dungeons do that), but if you have to do that (through the same routes), it gets pretty boring pretty quickly (the Water Temple!).

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Apr 4, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Doing the second mission, it was 2 or 3 weeks ago but I distinctly remember being in a firefight with level 3 enemies, I glance to see that someone just joined my game, then the enemies I was just shooting were suddenly much higher level and my shots do nothing. Similar thing happened when I started the mission again the next day, cleared out the first area then someone joins and the next group of enemies are unkillable for me. I'll have to take another look at the settings then.

You probably ran to the Mothyard (the place with all the broken planes) and ran into a Blade of Crota spawn. In other places, they're at or a few levels higher than the surrounding enemies. In the Mothyard, they are 20+ and will wreck your poo poo if you so much as look at them. That's the problem. It wasn't that someone joined your game, it's that you were tooling around where you shouldn't have been (with no way of knowing :shobon:) and ran into Mor'ladim.

The starting areas are considered public zones and can have have a fair number of people. Once you get into some mission zones it's just you and your fireteam. The game doesn't scale up enemies based on the level of characters present, but it sure does nerf your damage even if you're a 32 fighting a level 5.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
A couple from Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I just finished as part of a big backlog cleanup:

The ambient music when you're walking around or hanging out at your base is incredible, but when the action ramps up it turns into lovely grinding-industrial-clanking-nonsense. The sound design has it mixing with the villains you're fighting to the point where you don't know if there are any robot bad guys stomping around or if it's just the music.

Also, weapon selection - especially in frantic moments - is a pain in the rear end.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Captain Hotbutt posted:

A couple from Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I just finished as part of a big backlog cleanup:

The ambient music when you're walking around or hanging out at your base is incredible, but when the action ramps up it turns into lovely grinding-industrial-clanking-nonsense. The sound design has it mixing with the villains you're fighting to the point where you don't know if there are any robot bad guys stomping around or if it's just the music.

Also, weapon selection - especially in frantic moments - is a pain in the rear end.

Quite similar is Alien: Isolation, I actually turned the music all the way down except for 1 notch because it completely masks the alien's approach. To give credit to myself, I haven't been eaten by the alien once, but for a game where it makes more sense to avoid something based on sound rather than sight, the loud, dramatic music was a huge oversight and I don't know why it defaults to max volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
One thing bothering me about Wolf TNO is the weird tonal dissonance that keeps popping up every time I start enjoying myself. One minute I'm fighting giant 60s Sci-Fi robots with dual wielded mega shotguns, then I get sent to a concentration camp and have to hear about how people are getting randomly abducted and tortured to death. Later on I'm sneaking around a U-boat stealth killing dozens of Nazis like a loving ninja when I get an audio message about Anja's aunt having a DIY abortion of her rape baby.

loving hell, just decide what kind of game you want to be and stick to it for more than 5 minutes :(

Convex has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Apr 4, 2015