Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PRADA SLUT posted:

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs 4 lyf

Amazingly few discotheques provide jukeboxes, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I think I'm going to get rid of my chinese pens. They all seem to leak or have tiny bits of ink drop here and there no matter what I do, even with the simplest action of opening the cap. Got a few drops of sailor sei boku on my nice clothes.

I'm getting a nemosine fission soon with a 0.6mm stub. Hoping stubs are pretty awesome and that its a decent pen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I finally inked up my Metro -- I got several new pens at once and I don't like to have a lot inked since they dry out -- and man, this things writes really well. I got a Medium since Pilot's Fine nibs are a bit much for me, and it's great. My old Pilot Prera was something like $50 at the time and it doesn't write this well. I have a Sailor Reglus that I caught a nice deal on arriving tomorrow as well.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Hello all! I just started getting in to fountain pens last year with a Parker Pen kit i received as a birthday present.

I was telling my mum how much I enjoyed fountain pens when she pulled out a dusty old box. It turns out when my grandfather passed away he left his fountain pen collection to her. These pens haven't been used/handled in over 25 years, so I was wondering what the best way to get them restored and working would be? For example i understand that I will need to replace all the bladders but I don't see myself using all of them, so I was curious what would be the ideal condition to leave them in so they are presentable but not actively degrading. Thanks!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I read the entire thread and I'm about ready to order my Pilot Metropolitan from Goulet.

I've already got a dip pen that I've probably abused the hell out of and a Manuscript craft store calligraphy fountain pen.

I'm trying to decide between F and M. My first instinct was to get the M since I like fat .7mm lead pencils and the "bold" clicky pens at work. I don't really think the Manuscript is too broad. I want to use the Metro mostly at work though. So maybe an F is safer? I don't know.

It doesn't look like there is a clear winner as far as blue ink goes so I'm going with the best sellers sample pack.

I also want a pen to play with at home. It sounds like fiddling with a Noodler's is what I want. Is the only real difference between the Ahab and the Konrad the size? I haven't really seen anything really comparing them to each other.

I was also looking at a Safari but I would probably want to get a really fat italic nib and once I add a second nib and a converter the Safari is starting to look like a "serious purchase".

Then I added some more ink samples and some paper...

I do want to pick up 2 pens but is 3 an overkill? If I'm not planning to carry the Safari around, how much difference am I going to see between practicing handwriting with it vs. the craft store Manuscript. The manuscript actually came with what looks like a lovely converter. I think I can get a multipack of nibs for the Manuscript for $5-ish.

I guess the same could be argued about the Noodler's vs. the dip pen though.

I can't decide. :(

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
One thing to ask yourself is, what quality paper will you be writing on at work? Cheapo almost-transparent paper? Go fine, so you'll have less feathering going on.
I love the nib my aero 51, but it's just too juicy to write on some of the horrible spiral pads around here without feathering into near illegibility. I'm leaning more and more towards a Sheaffer Craftsman I found in an antique place that's a xf, but a hint of pressure brings it up to f territory.

Personally, I'd buy a v-pen/varsity and see how you get on. At the very least, you've got a backup for your desk drawer.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I brought the Manuscript to work and it's working on everything so far. I don't usually need to share my handwritten notes. F is probably the safer bet though.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Get both. It's an $18 pen.

Or get the metro in whatever, then get a kakuno in another size and swap the nibs if you don't like them! :homebrew:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

But if I get the F and M Metros, should I still get the Ahab? And the Safari with a fat italic nib? Is that too many pens?

Edit: BRB browsing for a second Metro color.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GoldenNugget posted:

Also any recommendations on the TBWSI pens? Are they all similar in mechanism but different capacities?

This was a while ago, but as one of the resident TWSBI fanboys, I think I can help. I have daily carry three of them, clear 540/580AL and a blue Vac 700. The main difference (outside of capacity) is piston fill versus vacuum fill. Piston fill is slightly cheaper, the capacity is slightly less (something like 5-10%) and you can't block the flow of ink from the reservoir to the feed. However, they are so practically similar that I would base my decision on the size of pen your hand is comfortable with - the Diamond/Classic series are based on size 5 nibs and are smaller while the Vac 700 is a good bit larger and uses a larger size 6 nib. Heck, I put one of the dual color Goulet nibs on mine for some contrast.

What will be interesting is that they're getting ready to sell the Eco, which is a full sized piston-fill pen for around $25-30.

/Yes they can break, but I haven't broken mine since I stopped dropping them on the floor and put them in a soft pen case rather than my front pocket.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

GoodBee posted:

But if I get the F and M Metros, should I still get the Ahab? And the Safari with a fat italic nib? Is that too many pens?

Edit: BRB browsing for a second Metro color.

Many of us have like a dozen or more pens (I don't know how many I have for certain...15?) so we're poor judges of "too many pens". I'd call that a good start though.

You mentioned blue ink earlier and usually the "winner" is Noodler's Baystate Blue, but the ink doesn't play well with a lot of pens, so if you get it you basically have to "sacrifice" a pen to it and hope it doesn't eat away the feed. I'm partial to the Iroshizuku blues Asa-Gao and Kon-Peki, which is more of a cerulean, myself.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Holy poo poo do not go recommending Baystate Blue to pen newbies. It's a beast of an ink that's particularly hard to wash out of things and it tends to destroy some pen feeds, in particular Pilot or Lamy I think.

It's a super intense blue but c'mon people! At least start with a better behaved one like Éclat du Saphir!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Baystate Blue was actually one of the first inks I tried but I only ended up with it by accident. Ordered Noodler's Black and the wrong ink was inside the box but I liked the color so much I just kept it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm partial to the silver Metros and I don't want to get two subtly different ones today. Do they come out with different/limited run colors/patterns? If so, I think I'll wait for one that catches my eye to grab the medium nib.

All three of those blues you mentioned are in the best seller blue sample pack so I'll try them all! There have been many tales of Baystate Blue in this thread so I'll probably test it out with the dip pen and see what I think. If I've got to have it as an everyday option I'll get a pen just for it when I order a whole bottle.

I'm going to wait on the Safari for now too. I have some Amazon rewards so I might pick one up there. Or I'll use it as an excuse to get more ink samples in the future.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The animal series has a silver Metro with a brown python patterned band, it's quite handsome.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 3, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

Holy poo poo do not go recommending Baystate Blue to pen newbies. It's a beast of an ink that's particularly hard to wash out of things and it tends to destroy some pen feeds, in particular Pilot or Lamy I think.

It's a super intense blue but c'mon people! At least start with a better behaved one like Éclat du Saphir!

Hey I think I gave proper warning and mentioned that it eats feeds. I guess I forgot to mention it would stain anything it touches, but yeah, you pretty much have to just take a pen and sacrifice it to BSB. It's just that it is considered the blue by a lot of people; personally I don't own it because of its volatile nature.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

cobalt impurity posted:

If I decide in the future that I want to keep a pen inked with BSB, what's the recommendation? A Noodler or a Preppy? The free one that comes with ink?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

An Ahab would be great for it, and they're compatible with any #6 nibs you can get from Goulet and elsewhere if you decided you didn't want the flex (or you bought one with a hosed-up nib, like I did). BSB will eat some plastics, but it won't gently caress with the ebonite feed in any Noodler's pens.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use it in a B nib 78G, in a cartridge to reduce mess.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cobalt impurity posted:

Any pen you can safety take apart and clean with rubbing alcohol is perfectly fine to use BSB with. Back when I started, I just kept refilling my clear 540 with BSB for months and months on end until the plastic was tinted blue and you could see it on the feed, but a little rubbing alcohol and a re-grease took care of it in around 10-15 minutes.

If you spill some in your sink a little bleach based spray/bathroom cleaner takes care of it as well. If you can manage that, you can use one of the most intense indigo inks out there. It practically glows on the page, it hits an odd wavelength of light or something I dunno.

Would I put it in a Metro or TWSBI? Hell yes (and I might do that this weekend!). My M600 or Imperial Triumph? That's what I bought the Iroshizuku for.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
My dad happened to have an old parker 61. It has the capillary filler and it appears pink so it appears to be new afaik.

Also what is this Pierre Cardin pen? How do I readjust the nib since it appears misaligned? Does it take cartridges only?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The 61 is nice. Fill it with water, see if it drips out of the nib area. If it does, you'll need to replace the sac or seals. If it doesn't you're golden.

As for the PC, the nib/feed sections on those pens are friction fit. You can just wiggle the nib around with your fingers until it's at about the right spot. You can also use a piece of non-adhesive shelf liner to pull the nib and feed out and re-seat them if you want. You can use international cartridges or converters like a Schmidt K5 for bottled ink.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 4, 2015

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks the Parker 61 does work. I filled it with Sailor Sei-Boku and it writes pretty well. Lightly but that's probably due to it being very fine.

I'll get a converter for the Pierre Cardin and readjust the nib.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
My Parker Sont Sdes Lune hosed up and started spraying Pissy ink everywhere including my eye :cry:. Any recommendations for goggles to wear whilst using my pen?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Low tech but I like to apply a strip of duct tape across my eyes. Then when I pull it (and my eyebrows) off every page is a fun new surprise!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Foid One posted:

My Parker Sont Sdes Lune hosed up and started spraying Pissy ink everywhere including my eye :cry:. Any recommendations for goggles to wear whilst using my pen?

Yeah here these 3M goggles are pretty great and, personally, I think they're quite stylish so you won't feel like a boob wearing them at home or work!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i come in peace from gbs

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I picked up a grip of inks from a goon in SA-Mart, so I'm looking forward to receiving them in a broken and muddled mess in the mail (USPS sucks, by the by). One of them is a near full bottle of Stormy Grey - gonna clean out the franken VAC 700 and drink deeply of that soon!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

How does the Pilot Metropolitan compare to the 78G? I've been using a 78G at home and enjoy it for light to moderate use, but I dislike how flimsy it feels at time. Is the Metropolitan much heftier with the usual, smooth pilot writing experience?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

How does the Pilot Metropolitan compare to the 78G? I've been using a 78G at home and enjoy it for light to moderate use, but I dislike how flimsy it feels at time. Is the Metropolitan much heftier with the usual, smooth pilot writing experience?

Yes. The 78G is pretty much a plastic Metro.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fountain pens

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
swamp and lump don't really rhyme

e: I knew I should have quoted that

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 7, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

blowfish posted:

i come in peace from gbs

I'm pretty sure this has never been true in the history of the SA Forums

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I have a sample of scans from my ink library, how do they look? I'm shooting for reproducing what they look like in actual use, which is why they look a bit dark - in my experience that's how indoor light tends to be.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
What paper are you using? The only one I have an in-person reference for is a swab of Yama-budo that I have in one of my Rhodias, and it looks pretty accurate. Also, for indoor light, are you using a daylight bulb or in-house lighting, etc.? Depends on how analytic you want to get, but if you're going for natural setting it should be fine.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Georgia-Pacific "premium bright" (or something, this branding/packaging makes no sense) 24lb copy paper. It's pretty good stuff in my experience, it's just heavier enough than normal paper that a lot of "copy paper" problems go away, and it's at Wal-Mart so it's convenient as gently caress. The samples are scanned so the "lighting" used is just the scanner with the brightness tweaked down to where it looked about right on my monitor when compared with the florescent tube in my ceiling and OttLite daylight bulb on my desk - I experimented with contrast and color correction settings too, but leaving them at default seemed to produce the best results.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Random thought that occurred to me: is there a fountain pen wiki? It would be a useful resource in my opinion.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mikl posted:

Random thought that occurred to me: is there a fountain pen wiki? It would be a useful resource in my opinion.

There's this from reddit.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Slapped up some more samples over here. If nobody has any suggestions, I'll probably do up the rest over the next few days and post when I finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm going to Japan!!! What should I check out stationary wise in the Tokyo area? IS IT TRUE IROSHIZUKU INKS ARE CHEAPER THERE??!?!