Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Remember that building in Britain upon which the artist architect had fit mirrors in such a curve that it could light things passing by on fire?

It melted a Jaguar, which is a pretty terrible thing to do to a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
As an engineer, the best people to listen to are the guys on the line who actually put the things together. And learning to think like them is the hardest and best thing I've done (and am still working on).

Unfortunately, I work for a consulting firm, so rarely have the luxury of talking to them directly. I get to deal with the engineers of the client firm who may or may not have any contact with manufacturing.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uthor posted:

As an engineer, the best people to listen to are the guys on the line who actually put the things together. And learning to think like them is the hardest and best thing I've done (and am still working on).

Unfortunately, I work for a consulting firm, so rarely have the luxury of talking to them directly. I get to deal with the engineers of the client firm who may or may not have any contact with manufacturing.

I work in the construction field, as an estimator. I spent the first 8 years of my career managing projects in the field, and interact fairly often with the field personnel to make sure my ideas on how to put things together actually make sense.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sipher posted:

Sup, fellow south bay goon

I find it hard to believe that this is actually road legal. If that thing gets in an accident it's going to explode like a grenade filled with glass.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

eyebeem posted:

I work in the construction field, as an estimator. I spent the first 8 years of my career managing projects in the field, and interact fairly often with the field personnel to make sure my ideas on how to put things together actually make sense.

I was doing work at a hotel renovation, and the architect was discussing what she wanted as far as an arch across the doorway. She kept trying to explain to the carpenter what she wanted, but the carpenter kept telling her it was impossible. The architect sketched up something and showed it to him, saying "can't you do it like this? I drew it."

The carpenter then said hold on, and made a quick sketch. There was about 30 seconds of silence while everyone at the meeting (about 20 people) waited for the sketch to be finished.

He held up this:

(forgive the MS paint, but it wasn't that much better).

He then explained that while his drawing showed that he could, in fact, piss in a bucket that is 10' off the ground, just because it was possible to draw didn't mean it was possible to do.

We all had a good laugh and the lesson was learned. It's also the only useful thing that's ever happened at a job meeting other than the time an electrician threatened to beat the poo poo out of the project manager because he was being an rear end in a top hat, which was pretty drat funny. Project meetings for the finish trades are boring as poo poo.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Sipher posted:

Sup, fellow south bay goon

Wow, that's a stupid car.

The car with the solar panel is pretty dumb, too. Imagine a stiff tail wind. What is that, a Geo Metro Sedan? Probably still less than 2000lb with that nonsense on top.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

We all had a good laugh and the lesson was learned. It's also the only useful thing that's ever happened at a job meeting other than the time an electrician threatened to beat the poo poo out of the project manager because he was being an rear end in a top hat, which was pretty drat funny. Project meetings for the finish trades are boring as poo poo.

We are currently having expansion built onto our current production plant, and our 60+ year old machine maintenance guy decided that he knew so much about construction that he had the right to chew out the workers on their build quality and call it poo poo to their faces.

I had fun running interference for that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

mik posted:

Wow, that's a stupid car.

The car with the solar panel is pretty dumb, too. Imagine a stiff tail wind. What is that, a Geo Metro Sedan? Probably still less than 2000lb with that nonsense on top.

A tail wind would be an advantage.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

We are currently having expansion built onto our current production plant, and our 60+ year old machine maintenance guy decided that he knew so much about construction that he had the right to chew out the workers on their build quality and call it poo poo to their faces.

I had fun running interference for that.

Well, was he right?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Nice work.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 3, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ThinkFear posted:

Well, was he right?

Nope.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cool did someone post "just fuckin' hoonin around LMAO!!!!!" with this one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
At what point do you just stick your hands out the window with your license in hand and say "Okay, let's go..."

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Beach Bum posted:

At what point do you just stick your hands out the window with your license in hand and say "Okay, let's go..."

Never. Not just from a legal standpoint, but why wouldn't you leave it open for discussion?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Uthor posted:

The guys who have to fix your poo poo 10 years down the line are a great resource too.

Enough people who work here have fixed their own cars, including heater cores and fuel level senders, that comparing an impossible to maintain/repair design to those generally gets the point across...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Sigma X posted:

Never. Not just from a legal standpoint, but why wouldn't you leave it open for discussion?

Probably because this is the internet and no one on SA has ever broken a speed limit or gone more than 100mph on a public roadway.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Probably because this is the internet and no one on SA has ever broken a speed limit or gone more than 100mph on a public roadway.

Best I've ever been is 125 in the middle of Arizona with a spotter ahead of me to check for popo and or anything in the road. I can't even imagine being at 140+ especially not in a Volvo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I think it's more that we're not quite stupid enough to own up on a public forum to being young and stupid and, say, having doubled an example of every speed limit used in the UK at least once.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

veedubfreak posted:

Best I've ever been is 125 in the middle of Arizona with a spotter ahead of me to check for popo and or anything in the road. I can't even imagine being at 140+ especially not in a Volvo.

I hit 150 in my Volvo S60R flying down an empty toll road in California. I was young and it was really stupid.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Sigma X posted:

You never know, the cop might find it amusing and only write the ticket for 50 over. The radar's already hosed you, a tongue-in-cheek admission of guilt (but not to a specific number) isn't really going to hurt you when you're caught doing double the limit. It works better if you're obviously white, and preferably female -- my mom's gotten out of several speeding tickets by doing the "oh, I'm a silly middle-aged mom, so sorry, won't do it again" act.

The State Troopers somehow know my car used to belong to their agency (well, it's got the Interceptor badge on the back, they know its speedometer is admissible in court, at least), so they don't even ask "do you know how fast you were going?", they just write the ticket. "Mornin', I'm [name] with the DPS, we both know why I stopped you. License and insurance?" Half the time I can get off with a warning by starting a discussion about the car. "It used to be one of yours. How fast will it go? I've, of course, never wrung it out, 'cause I'm a law-abiding citizen and too scared to try because you might see."

Then there was the time a Trooper lit me up for my window tint. "Mornin', I'm [name] with the DPS."
"Yeah, I figured, with the car paint and uniform."
"Your windows look a lil' dark." [goes back to his car and digs the window-tint test machine out of the trunk]
"Roll it down halfway, please?" [puts densitometer over the edge of the window] "Nope, you're legal. Have a nice day!"
Didn't run my ID or check my insurance, which they usually do before the "do you know why I stopped you?" bit. I guess he just wanted to try out the densitometer.

The city and county cops around here are jerks, though, and have searched my car twice -- both times for silly probable cause (license plate light burned out/looking too much like a cop car, in a county that's had problems with fake cops, and I fit the profile), and I let the beat cop/deputy dig through the trash in the passenger floor/look under the hood while talking about cars with the Sergeant, because I knew I was clean.

Tangent: I can't find the thread, but one of the guys on Crownvic.net scraped the paint off the back of his speedometer and replaced it with other colors, so 0-70 lit up in the stock green, 70-110 was yellow, and 110-140 was red. That was cute -- approximately the ranges of "speeding ticket you can talk your way out of," "a really big fine" and "go directly to jail, do not pass Go".

Fun historical fact: Jeff Cooper, the combat pistol guru, insisted that his "family" at Gunsite (the instructors and wives at his shooting school) pay their speeding tickets, because failing to see the cop in time to slow down was an unacceptable lapse in situational awareness, which was kind of the entire schtick of their training program. :v:

On topic: the paint is bubbling and flaking off down to the metal in several spots on my car where it was resprayed over the original white bits. Originally looked like this:

Now looks like this:

With a fist-sized spot of bare steel on the hood and bubbles on the trunk lid since I took that picture.

Terrible car salesmen: the dealer, who specializes in former cop cars, swore it was a DEA machine out of Houston. Um, no, it was Highway Patrol.

Carfax says the rear axle and two wheels were replaced by a shop in Houston, so he was half right. I assume the Trooper hit a culvert while doing a bootlegger turn across the median of I-10 or US 59 and tore off the rear suspension. :rock:

InitialDave posted:

I think it's more that we're not quite stupid enough to own up on a public forum to being young and stupid and, say, having doubled an example of every speed limit used in the UK at least once.
I once pegged the speedometer in my '71 Nova granny sedan. Indicated 120+, but probably less, it was back before phones had GPS, so I don't know for sure.

It needed some front end work -- got the ol' Jeep-style deathwobble at 80mph, but it smoothed out in the triple digits,

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 3, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Delivery McGee posted:

I once pegged the speedometer in my '71 Nova granny sedan. Indicated 120+, but probably less, it was back before phones had GPS, so I don't know for sure.

It needed some front end work -- got the ol' Jeep-style deathwobble at 80mph, but it smoothed out in the triple digits,

Ditto to this in my old '72. No wobble though. Surprisingly little drama outside of wind noise.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Just pollen things. :palmon:

I just washed it a few days ago, too. :(

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

Gencoupe?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't park under trees in the spring, unless you enjoy washing tree bukake off.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes it's impossible to avoid parking under or near trees :( I have a black car too, it's bad.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

insta posted:

Gencoupe?

Yeah. '14 R-Spec 4banger

Edit:

Juniper trees in the winter, Oak trees in the spring. It never ends in south central Texas. Black is the only correct color :colbert:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 3, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

my volvo 940 claimed 110 on a deserted, flat road in nevada before the EGR tube blew out of the exhaust manifold

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I did 80mph once in the Justy* and 54mph in the 5-ton. Both risking engine damage or being rearended by an inattentive driver, not police involvement.

The rest... eh. No comment.

* it was a 70 zone and people were passing me :v:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm keeping it under 110 since my snow tires haven't come off yet, and are only rated to 117

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sometimes I think I don't value living in Germany enough. 150+ is a pretty regular occurrence, but on the other hand I'm not breaking any laws with it... It doesn't really feel so special.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

wayfinder posted:

Sometimes I think I don't value living in Germany enough. 150+ is a pretty regular occurrence, but on the other hand I'm not breaking any laws with it... It doesn't really feel so special.

You're lucky in the sense that you don't have some rolling tax man after you for a victimless "crime." Between electronic warfare, organized bribery (CHP 11/99,) and traffic lawyers, freedom on the roads here doesn't come cheap.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Das Volk posted:

victimless "crime."

Until, of course, there is one..

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Prescription Combs posted:

This is why I'm so happy my new house has enough garage space for all of the cars. I own three black vehicles at this moment including my R-Spec Genesis. When the trees start sexing all over my stuff, I know it's only a prelude to the bug swarms.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Delivery McGee posted:

Friend of mine had a 73 Nova coupe, with who the gently caress knows what under the hood (he bought it already modified a bit, definitely some kind of 350 with a TH350 behind it, lots of words like balanced, blueprinted, shift kit, etc thrown out by the seller) - all we knew is it was a low-12 second car the one time he ran it, with a full interior and a/c.

He pegged the speedometer one night on a flat stretch of I-10.. and kept his foot planted until it quit accelerating. Oil pressure gauge and tach were both pegged. :stonk: I still have no clue how fast we were going, only that once he stood on the brakes long enough to un-peg the speedometer, we could smell the brakes before it got below 100.

Looking back, I'm amazed I never died in any of his cars, though we did get in a wreck in his 240SX (and I didn't have my seat belt on, natch). Always worn a seat belt since then.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I can fully admit to going at least 138 in an 84 300z because that's what the cop got me on the radar at. It was buried deep in the red at that point and down near 6 o'clock on the speedo so not sure how fast it actually was.

Lost my license because of that one. Freeway, 3am, young and dumb, the normal thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The worst I've been popped for myself has been 120 in a 55. :cripes:

The only reason I escaped without handcuffs is it was Christmas Eve, and I gave him a sob story about running late to work (truth). He literally threw my license in my face and cussed me out for a few minutes, then said "Merry loving Christmas, Mario loving Andretti!"

... I'd forgotten about all the, uh, substances in the car until after he took off. Pretty much crapped myself once I remembered everything that was in the car (14 years ago, so the morality police can shush, I don't drive with anything on me or under the influence today). I'll just say I had enough crap in the car to catch a felony charge, probably a few if he wanted to be a dick.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 4, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

some texas redneck posted:

The worst I've been popped for myself has been 120 in a 55. :cripes:

The only reason I escaped without handcuffs is it was Christmas Eve, and I gave him a sob story about running late to work (truth). He literally threw my license in my face and cussed me out for a few minutes, then said "Merry loving Christmas, Mario loving Andretti!"

... I'd forgotten about all the, uh, substances in the car until after he took off. Pretty much crapped myself once I remembered everything that was in the car (14 years ago, so the morality police can shush, I don't drive with anything on me or under the influence today). I'll just say I had enough crap in the car to catch a felony charge, probably a few if he wanted to be a dick.

One better, I had a trunk full of guns and a bit of military gear. I had just come back from some out if state military training, and had been to the bar to meet a friend for dinner.

Coming back home at two a.m., I'm the only car on CC215 southbound from Lone Mountain. It's downhill, I give my car some juice, and get up past 110 in a 65, in a Saturn Ion base model.

The only car I past was not a Crown Vic or a Monte Carlo so I figured it was safe to stay two lanes away. So so wrong. It was a unmarked marshal.

He stopped me on my exit, where I'm waiting patiently at the light; when I pull over I'm less than a half mile from my apartment. He starts the interaction with "Put your hands outside the vehicle!" He asked me how much I had been drinking, I stayed silent because I hadn't drank at the pub much when I got my food, but I still had. He starts searching my car, though I did say I didn't consent, and so I said "then for your safety I want to inform you there are guns in the vehicle. They are legally owned and I have documentation for the ones which it is necessary."

My whole life flashed after I said that. I don't know why I volunteered that much, but I guess it was so I didn't get shot if he found it by surprise. He opened the trunk took my backpack full of guns back to his car, and starts going through it. Suddenly, he put it all back in my car, asked if I still love at the address in my license, un cuffed me, and followed me to my gate; then he drive off with a after a whoop whoop from his siren.

And that's how I became the most law abiding est driver in Las Vegas. I haven't had so much as a parking ticket. I got out of a situation I had no right to, and I used that chance to clean up my act.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My fromer car was a '95 Firebird Formula with an LT1 V-8, its speedometer looked like this:

At approximately 120MPH my car would start to vibrate a lot, I'm pretty sure the driveshaft was not balanced. At about 145MPH the vibration made it very difficult to keep the car going in a straight line. At about 155MPH the needle moved just a little farther before it stopped moving. Looking back on it, I'm lucky to be alive.

For the morality police, this was over 10 years ago and I never was ticketed for it. I tried to do this in a "safe manner" because the road I chose was paved and had very little traffic. In the whole county, the only roads that were paved were the highways, and the road I used since it lead to a large church. :devil: :catholic: Consequently, it was only barely paved and had an extremely uneven surface, I'm very lucky to be alive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The one time I pushed my car, I used a spur off of I-80 that was built for a factory that never materialized, so there is zero traffic. Wide, great pavement, great sight lines. It'd be a great place for cops to camp out at if they saw more than 20 cars an hour.

Didn't see anyone else on the road in either direction, got up to the electronically controlled limit, whole thing lasted about a mile and a half, no drama from the car. Did it to prove to myself that the car can go that fast (I've read it can push 145 with a tune and the limit removed, which is nuts).

These days I just sit at about 72 in a 70 and cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I broke the speed limit once, but because there's no cops on the road here and there's no speed cameras on rutland rd bullsbrook, I got away with it.
I think there's speed cameras on every other road though :ssh:
Forget doing a highspeed run on a freeway or highway, the most you are going to do is about 125mph on a short road in the middle of nowhere like that.