Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/8260073/google-ftc-leaked-anti-trust-report

"According to the report, for one example, Google took content from companies like Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Amazon. In the latter case, Google lifted product rankings and placed them in their own search results for those products. When the companies complained to Google about the process, Google threatened to remove them entirely from results."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/30/8314095/senate-panel-white-house-google-ftc

"...according to The Wall Street Journal's original report, the FTC accidentally sent a previously unseen report to the Journal as part of a Freedom of Information Act request. The report, made by FTC staff, recommended suing Google for using its search dominance to hamper competition against companies like Amazon, Bing, and others"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
amazon's search is dogshit though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
amazon's search works fine, the problem is the products are poorly curated so the search results can be total poo poo.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

amazon's search works fine, the problem is the products are poorly curated so the search results can be total poo poo.

i don't like that i'm unable to order results in any way unless i pick a department first

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't like that i'm unable to order results in any way unless i pick a department first

same.

amazons great if u know precisely what your looking for. if u don't then it's real bad.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Share Bear posted:

it should be moc.elgoog but elgoog isn't exactly know for interface consistency

mods please change thread title to Moc El Goog

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's really weird that they haven'tg fixed this, it's such a common complaint

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duTrieux. posted:

it seems like a way to get the user to spend more time browsing and exposing themselves to products, or honing general searches without the department to the most generic desirable results

I find it annoying too, but I always seem to forget the department first and spend more time paging through since the results are somewhat good enough

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yea i'm sure it has something to do with marketing metrics or brand engagement or something "measurable" like that

i should ask my neighbor he's a "user experience manager" for glassdoor

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I was looking for random poo poo on Amazon yesterday cause I have free Prime for a bit and I found like 5 straight pages of the same item, zero variation or anything, all the same seller. no colour or size variation or anything and no "available in more varieties" button that they have when there's similar products with some small variation.

I gave up pressing "next page" and left

Shaggar posted:

so google has their job cut out for them because the whole rest of the Internet is so well curated already, got ya

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

I was looking for random poo poo on Amazon yesterday cause I have free Prime for a bit and I found like 5 straight pages of the same item, zero variation or anything, all the same seller. no colour or size variation or anything and no "available in more varieties" button that they have when there's similar products with some small variation.

so google has their job cut out for them because the whole rest of the Internet is so well curated already, got ya
it's weird because they definitely have the ability to curate this poo poo, but i guess don't want to offend the one-off special snowflake marketplaces who don't want to be listed in the Other Sellers list, but who will still mark up their product 20% from amazon and add $15 in shipping

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

taking the user to the department splashpage gives them an opportunity to gaze upon the fabulous deals posted thereon

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

anthonypants posted:

it's weird because they definitely have the ability to curate this poo poo, but i guess don't want to offend the one-off special snowflake marketplaces who don't want to be listed in the Other Sellers list, but who will still mark up their product 20% from amazon and add $15 in shipping

marketplace sellers are a loving blight

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uncurable mlady posted:

:agreed:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

plenty of retailers do a good job of curating products ex: newegg. The problem with amazon is that even though product categories have well defined attributes, they don't require those attributes for items in the category nor do they even require that the item belong in the category to be there. this is why you cant just drill down through product categories to get to what you want. also they do stupid poo poo like sometimes different versions of a product are listed separately and sometimes they are listed under one item page and other times they are done both ways. or like when they list tv seasons separately and out of order.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like the later is obviously done to increase the apparent size of their library, but it ends up just making it harder to find anything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
how do amazon / newegg / best buy benefit from the dumb "marketplace" poo poo?

don't people get mad when they realize they accidentally bought a TV from "crazy ed's lawnmower repair"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no because they know that that's what they did.

amazon/newegg/etc get a cut of the sale and many times also are being paid to house the product inventory. plus its useful as hell for products amazon doesn't carry.

in the cases where amazon and a marketplace seller carry the same product, amazon is usually cheaper when shipping is factored in.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but in the worst case scenario where amazon loses a sale to a marketplace provider, you still bought it on amazon.com and never considered going to crazyedslawnmowerrepair.com

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

but in the worst case scenario where amazon loses a sale to a marketplace provider, you still bought it on amazon.com and never considered going to crazyedslawnmowerrepair.com

and it keeps new sites like yourhomemarketplace.com from springing up and stealing amazon's sales

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
don't buy from amazon

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

if you buy from amazon you support wage slavery (。◕‿‿◕。)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

horse mans posted:

every warehouse is exactly as bad as amazon

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every warehouse is exactly as bad as amazon

good excuse for supporting inethical business practices that hurt living people, imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

horse mans posted:

better than supporting artificial wage inflation

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

newegg has somewhat automated warehouses where a tub moves around rather than people running around

i've worked in a warehouse through multiple texas summers, it wasn't enjoyable but the amazons ones sounded worse. we could open rollup doors and had fans, it was very little order picking and more testing stuff that was returned

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I ordered a bar code scanner from Amazon to test stuff with an app we're developing and got a Samsung Galaxy 5 replacement screen instead :pwn:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

horse mans posted:

good excuse for supporting inethical business practices that hurt living people, imo

If CostCo Does Not Stock It Then It Is Not Necessary

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

horse mans posted:

do you live in communist china or communist cuba

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

horse mans posted:

i'm just saying amazon isn't special

i'm not sure it's possible to buy consumer goods in the u.s. without supporting wage slavery in warehouses. maybe if you thrift everything?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

anthonypants posted:

do you live in communist china or communist cuba

cummunist Chiba would be a good weed brand

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure it's possible to buy consumer goods in the u.s. without supporting wage slavery in warehouses. maybe if you thrift everything?

*dons LF hat*

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism!!!!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

El_Elegante posted:

cummunist Chiba would be a good weed brand

The province east of Tokyo?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

annapacketstormaya posted:

The province east of Tokyo?

the slang term for weed, I don't know anything about weeaboo maps

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amazon literally owns the kiva robot company so maybe that's changing

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpsMt7ETi8

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm an ethical shopper. all of my food was farmed by college educated women with 2 years of maternity leave using a water reclaimation system and organic fertilizer (no mined potassium).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they need to make one of these with a chair to transport humans around

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

robots for warehouse poo poo have existed for like 20+ years. they keep using untrained wage laborers instead because they are cheaper

you can't kick a robot off the worksite when it's broken, you have to fix it. injured contractor? lol gtfo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

I'm an ethical shopper. all of my food was farmed by college educated women with 2 years of maternity leave using a water reclaimation system and organic fertilizer (no mined potassium).

phosphorus use in fertilizer isn't sustainable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

i used to work for one. i was in charge of the amazon integration by which i mean i was literally the only tech person on-staff. it was a nightmare.

• Locked thread