Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
we will be occupying redwood and acacia forests and communicate via postcards with ambiguously scaled objects. our flapjack budget is through the goddamn roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ox dye? don't get me started. it's basically the same thing as foxdie though so it was already around

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

muike posted:

if you made an ak47 like 8 times bigger would it still work

if yes, why hasn't anyone done this

an ak47 8 times bigger would be an ak376 dumbass

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
*dramatically slams arms down on table full of blueprints and rotates at the torso*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muike posted:

no i meant the first one thusly with the first problem. i'm trying to make an army of paul bunyans, but axes aren't cutting it

Since fishmech couldn't be bothered to link the proper wikipedia page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law#Biomechanics

Guns are people too.

tl;dr posted:

It helps explain phenomena including why large mammals like elephants have a harder time cooling themselves than small ones like mice, and why building taller and taller skyscrapers is increasingly difficult.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the ak47 is one of those things that i imagined could break the unbreakable and do the impossible and break the square cube law by sheer eternal essence

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muike posted:

the ak47 is one of those things that i imagined could break the unbreakable and do the impossible and break the square cube law by sheer eternal essence

That seems reasonable.

Perhaps design one that can be used by someone with no hands. It would be very disruptive.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
why would you want an ak47 that's 8 times bigger, you just know someone would come along with a 9 times bigger ak47

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
This reminds me of the Xenonauts fluff regarding coilguns: Make a bullet fling fast enough (and made of such material that it doesn't lose integrity) and it'll cause a fairly large explosion on exit from the barrel as the very air reacts to the sheer friction, causing a significant amount of damage to whoever fired the gun.

What I'm saying is, that would be a great prank.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 2, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

muike posted:

if you made an ak47 like 8 times bigger would it still work

if yes, why hasn't anyone done this
It'd probably still work if it didn't smash itself to pieces. A lot of parts would have to be improbably massive though.

Because nobody has ever really expressed a desire for a 61mm assault rifle.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

tuyop posted:

Why did Google create different webapps and apps for sheets, docs, etc? What utility are people getting out of having all their docs in one view, decontextualized from folders?

Have you never seen Gmail?

Google left folders for the easier to search/remember semantic organization known as labels. It is easier to label a budget file with "accounting, budgets, 2015, cfo, purple monkey dishwasher" than create dynamic links for all of those folders. Folders are an artifact of computers that had limited file name length and time expensive searching.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Google left folders for the easier to search/remember semantic organization known as labels. It is easier to label a budget file with "accounting, budgets, 2015, cfo, purple monkey dishwasher" than create dynamic links for all of those folders. Folders are an artifact of computers that had limited file name length and time expensive searching.

Well, and also filing cabinets.

But still, am I expected to search for every doc I want to open? That's a bit more of a pain than just browsing to a folder that I created to hold and facilitate recall of related items and clicking on them in sequence.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Nintendo Kid posted:

Owning the stock is owning the company, so yes it goes to the stockholders. Typically a lot of the people who run the company also hold large share of it though.

If it's a private company being bought out, then it's whoever actually holds ownership. Could just be the founder, or it could be a consortium of banks of large investors.

In the case of the Compaq-HP merger though, the money didn't really go anywhere as far as you were concerned as an owner of Compaq stock. Your shares were just converted and you got a small payment if the resulting conversion resulted in a fraction.

So if all that changes is the type and amount of stock a shareholder owns, then ... is any money actually changing hands in a "$25 billion" merger? Is it all just shuffling pieces on a game board?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Golbez posted:

Is it all just shuffling pieces on a game board?

This is what accounting is.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

But still, am I expected to search for every doc I want to open? That's a bit more of a pain than just browsing to a folder that I created to hold and facilitate recall of related items and clicking on them in sequence.

If you go to drive.Google.com you can create folders, browse your documents in one place, etc.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

tuyop posted:

Or just label your files with whatever you would have named the folder?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Penguissimo posted:

If you go to drive.Google.com you can create folders, browse your documents in one place, etc.

Of course, that's how I work now. It just sucks that the button in the top left is no longer "back to drive" but this docs/slides/sheets nonsense.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Or just label your files with whatever you would have named the folder?

That would work if I didn't also use it as a synced folder outside of the drive.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Gmail pisses me off because they want to work in their own special way and if you don't like it, tough.

Using IMAP on Outlook and the android app seems to result in emails that I know are there, not being visible as it likes to be clever and move them around.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Golbez posted:

So if all that changes is the type and amount of stock a shareholder owns, then ... is any money actually changing hands in a "$25 billion" merger? Is it all just shuffling pieces on a game board?

Possibly? Let's say you as a higher up in Compaq own 1000 shares of Compaq stock, now that gets converted to HP stock at roughly 65%. So now you own 650 shares of HP stock. Which is good for you, because the Compaq stock is now effectively worthless. But, if you didn't want to be a part of this anymore, you could - in theory - sell off your new HP stock. You could sell it back to HP and negotiate a price, but it would not be any more than they would pay to anyone else for shares.

In fact, it would technically be worth slightly less today that it would last week because now the whole pie has been cut into even more pieces. So if all HP stock was worth $10B yesterday, spread among 1 Million shares, and now that $10B is split into 2 Million shares today, it would cut the value of each share in half.So your 650 shares would have been worth $10,000 each before the merger and now are only worth $5,000 each. It's not that drastic in real life, but this is just an example. There's more math to it than that because obtaining all the Compaq stuff increases the net worth of HP by a fair bit, and no company would cut its own stock value in half under normal circumstances, but mergers make people antsy and a lot of people probably jumped ship before the merger...I honestly don't understand it very well myself.

TL:DR It's pieces on a game board for anyone on the outside looking in, but that's not to say that no money exchanged hands. This is what the two companies agreed to and have made public. If some Compaq senior manager sold off all of his stock and got a fat paycheck out of it we'd probably never hear about it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know of a simple graph-theory type graph maker? Online would be nice, but a download's fine. I had the most success with this, but I'd prefer a white background, and paint bucketing the background in Paint.net results in a bit of a mess since the nodes aren't outlined. I also tried Gephi, but it got a bit of the way through the splash screen and then just died.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

Effectively yes, just shuffling the pieces. Since what was done was combine the one pool of shares of HP and the other pool of shares of Compaq using some of HP's money. No major transfer of money is realized for any of the shareholders unless they sell their shares.

This is the result of a "non-hostile" takeover, where in a "hostile" takeover, the party aiming to merge goes out and buys up most of the stock directly (thus giving money to former stockholders) and then uses their newfound control of a majority of voting shares to order the merger from the target. In cases like that, those willing to sell their shares will certainly get money.

CzarChasm posted:

In fact, it would technically be worth slightly less today that it would last week because now the whole pie has been cut into even more pieces.

No, this isn't true, the new stock is issued using the value of Compaq's existing stock. The price of a single share of HP stock barely fluctuated during the changeover process

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

CzarChasm posted:

TL:DR It's pieces on a game board for anyone on the outside looking in, but that's not to say that no money exchanged hands. This is what the two companies agreed to and have made public. If some Compaq senior manager sold off all of his stock and got a fat paycheck out of it we'd probably never hear about it.

Except for that little crime known as insider trading? Which is investigated and prosecuted by the SEC? Not sure why you're responding to questions you don't know the answers to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

El_Elegante posted:

Except for that little crime known as insider trading? Which is investigated and prosecuted by the SEC? Not sure why you're responding to questions you don't know the answers to.

Uh, what would be insider trading about that? The merger was reported on a good 8 months before the completion of the transaction. A Compaq senior manager selling off his stock wouldn't be up to anything the SEC would judge to be insider trading, especially if he expected to be laid off due to redundancy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

It's adorable that you think that. Immediately before any major announcement regarding a company, the trade volume of the stock generally dectuples. Insider trading isn't a crime, it's business as loving usual.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Thanatosian posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

It's adorable that you think that. Immediately before any major announcement regarding a company, the trade volume of the stock generally dectuples. Insider trading isn't a crime, it's business as loving usual.

https://www.sec.gov/spotlight/insidertrading/cases.shtml

Ctrl+f, "merger".

I should have made the distinction between public and non-public negotiations. Trading after negotiations have been made public doesn't meet the definition of insider trading. Since the market has presumably priced that information in, it's also not going to give a fat payoff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Does anyone know of a simple graph-theory type graph maker? Online would be nice, but a download's fine. I had the most success with this, but I'd prefer a white background, and paint bucketing the background in Paint.net results in a bit of a mess since the nodes aren't outlined. I also tried Gephi, but it got a bit of the way through the splash screen and then just died.

Check out lucidchart. Free accounts are limited to 60 objects per graph though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tuyop posted:

Check out lucidchart. Free accounts are limited to 60 objects per graph though.

Thanks, that worked well.

I've read that it's bad for a laptop's battery to leave it plugged in all the time. If this was indeed true, is it still the case? It seems that phone batteries are intended to be able to take this sort of use (most people probably charge them overnight, and it doesn't take 8 hours to charge a phone), so it seems that that resiliency would be in all consumer rechargeable batteries by now.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've recently taken up indoor climbing. To do the higher walls, I have a buddy who assists from the ground with a belay device. He is much lighter than me and consequently struggles when trying to lower me. If I slip, I can literally lift the poor guy off the ground. He wonders if he should wear weights in order to hold him down. Do such things exist?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Baron Bifford posted:

I've recently taken up indoor climbing. To do the higher walls, I have a buddy who assists from the ground with a belay device. He is much lighter than me and consequently struggles when trying to lower me. If I slip, I can literally lift the poor guy off the ground. He wonders if he should wear weights in order to hold him down. Do such things exist?

Have him fill his pockets with pennies. The weight should keep him down. But if he should still rise into the air you can have kids hit him with a bat like a Pinata. Candy may work too but probably ways less.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Baron Bifford posted:

The actual solution is to anchor himself to the ground. This may not be possible in a gym setting, but I have done this outside many times.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've heard of weighted vests that bodybuilders and crossfit enthusiasts use. What do you think of them?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Bifford posted:

I have idea because I'm not a climber but if it doesn't interfere with the rope path and belay mechanism a backpack full of weight plates, sand, or gravel, maybe in trash bags or whatever to contain the mess may work. Ski boots and bindings screwed to the floor would be hilarious as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I've read that it's bad for a laptop's battery to leave it plugged in all the time. If this was indeed true, is it still the case? It seems that phone batteries are intended to be able to take this sort of use (most people probably charge them overnight, and it doesn't take 8 hours to charge a phone), so it seems that that resiliency would be in all consumer rechargeable batteries by now.

This is true. Charge amount and discharge depth are very important for lithium-ion battery life. Tl;dr: Keep a battery's charge close to 50% for as much of its life as possible, avoid charging over 80% and discharging below 20%.

It's also true that it's 2015 and you're probably going to replace your device before your battery sees significant wear regardless of your charging habits. If sperging about your battery life brings you peace then go hog wild. If you're just wondering if it's something you have to worry about, the answer is no unless you're an edge case, enjoy your life.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

uwaeve posted:

a backpack full of weight plates,

'Twas to be my suggestion. A couple plates in a backpack should do it. A packback with the thing that fastens across the chest would be best.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I've heard of weighted vests that bodybuilders and crossfit enthusiasts use. What do you think of them?

I think if you use that poo poo while just starting climbing or running, you're cruising for a wicked case of tendinitis and a possible pulley injury in climbing (speaking from experience here). If you're approaching an advanced level of fitness in your sport, you'll know it and have a community of people who can provide advice on this stuff. Run with weight if you have a need to perform well when running with weight, like if you're in law enforcement or the military. I did a bit of research on this awhile ago when I was in the military and the general consensus was that weighted running has some benefits that carry over to non-weighted running, but it dramatically increases the chance of horrible injuries like plantar fasciitis.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Human body is adaptive; run a lot with a weighted vest and you will become good at running while weighed down. It will definitely improve your normal running but that is more of a secondary thing and not so much as you'd think. If you want to get better at running longer and/or faster you will simply have to run longer and/or faster. By the same logic the world's best bench presser isn't automatically the world champion in pushups.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm presuming the weight would only be worn by Bifford's friend while he's belaying; I don't think anyone's saying either of them should wear it while climbing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

Human body is adaptive; run a lot with a weighted vest and you will become good at running while weighed down. It will definitely improve your normal running but that is more of a secondary thing and not so much as you'd think. If you want to get better at running longer and/or faster you will simply have to run longer and/or faster. By the same logic the world's best bench presser isn't automatically the world champion in pushups.

Yup, specific adaptation to imposed demands (SAID).

If you tan fifteen minutes a day, you get exactly as tanned as you need to be to avoid damage from exposure to fifteen minutes of sunlight. This is also why a fitness program needs some plan for progression in intensity. Most men's health bullshit plans don't have this, so people fail to improve on them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namarrgon posted:

What? Goku lied to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

We're talking much longer periods of time before damage to your battery can occur. You should unplug and discharge your laptop battery at least once a month. Overnight charges won't harm your battery.

We had several test laptops at work that went years without being unplugged. Most of them either have swelled or dead batteries at this point.