Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also I sanity checked the logic analyzer a bit with an analog scope and the debug port signals are beautifully clean and all of this test equipment is calibrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am going to feel like the most colossal idiot when I figure this out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cadence, do a thing, please

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

the baffling output is a completely invalid control character that the block's spitting out pretty reliably.

is the bit wrong or the character

is the bit calculated in any way separately from the rest

does the byte predictably match any nearby byte in the stream

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it isnt happening this morning :tinfoil:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
but you stored the old traces right?

don't worry, it'll reproduce when you pull the shades up in the afternoon

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

i have a lookup table mapping 10-bit values to 9-bit values. every possible 10 bit input is accounted for. you would think that, given absolutely arbitrary 10-bit input, it would be utterly impossible to get a 9-bit output that does not exist in the table.

and yet...

:suicide:

in fact, it is such a frequent occurrence i can reliably trigger a scope on it.

it depends on what the function that maps 0-1024 to 0-512 is

if you're just chopping off a bit, sure you should have each 9-bit value in that table twice

if you're doing something else, there's a good chance it'll miss some 9-bit values

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
he mentioned it, it's 8b/10b like in older gen PCIe. the 10b encodings are chosen to maintain DC balance on the line, the 9th bit is really just "it's not data, it's a COM/STP/SDP byte or other framing info" so there are a lot of values from 256-512 that you wouldn't ever expect to see

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

you need to perform an exorcism on the FPGA, sorry

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

everything works, hail satan

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

lol timing

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i've just finished getting our custom jtag subsystem working (since we love doing things the hard way), because we want to be able program/debug msp430s and various other poo poo in-system -- so much hdl, now i can move on to real work like all the hardware that's like a month behind schedule

incidentally the ft2232h is a pretty neat chip -- anyone using the bus blaster w/ adaptive clocking and urjtag?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

movax posted:

i've just finished getting our custom jtag subsystem working

:eyepop:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

urjtag?
every day is urine day

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
So the power supply I got has three hot rails and three ground rails. The thing I'm plugging it into is expecting only one +24V. Along with switching the polarity of the two bottom leads, is it possible to do something to remove or do something with the other two +24V leads without modifying the thing I'm plugging it into?

OEM power supply:

Power supply I bought:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the NC pins probably aren't connected to anything so you probably should be ok

probably

clip the wires if you want to be certain.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

the NC pins probably aren't connected to anything so you probably should be ok

probably

clip the wires if you want to be certain.

So I guess just clip them and wrap with electrical tape? Should that be enough insulation? I'm just paranoid of something arcing or short circuiting and causing a fire lol.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
tape will be fine, 24V isn't going to arc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

So I guess just clip them and wrap with electrical tape? Should that be enough insulation? I'm just paranoid of something arcing or short circuiting and causing a fire lol.

you're not going to arc something and cause a fire with a 24V DC power supply. well, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the wall side of the power supply

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Cool thanks!!!! :)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
imagine, if you will, that this is Sochi and we have two toilets in the same room. and there's a bunch of people in the room who communicate by flushing these two toilets in various prescribed patterns and watching the water levels.

iiuc this is basically how i2c works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr Dog posted:

imagine, if you will, that this is Sochi and we have two toilets in the same room. and there's a bunch of people in the room who communicate by flushing these two toilets in various prescribed patterns and watching the water levels.

"Oh, my husband used all the hot water. This means I need to buy eggs"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

now imagine using it for input devices

one of which is a mouse that's round and uses two little wheels that don't work instead of a roller ball or optical sensor

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eschaton posted:

one of which is a mouse that's round and uses two little wheels that don't work instead of a roller ball or optical sensor

i used to use those, i liked them a bunch

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
how is arduino forking or panelizing or however you call it when it's open hardware going

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bloody posted:

as a general idea yes but all extant implementations no

computers in a nutshell

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Dog posted:

wasn't this basically how the first practical telegraphs worked? a guy in Paris pushing a lever on a hydraulic pipe that signified a letter?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't this basically how the first practical telegraphs worked? a guy in Paris pushing a lever on a hydraulic pipe that signified a letter?

semaphore relay towers, which makes perfect sense but i never would have thought of. they're referenced in a subplot of the count of monte cristo.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

now imagine using it for input devices

wait are people complaining about i2c? it's a pretty easy bus to use, not sure how you would get in to trouble unless you were using really wonky pull up or termination values. Although I guess sometimes it's hard to see which device is loving up the bus, which is why a little series termination on your bus can be nice because the voltage will be a little higher/lower on one side of the series terminator depending on which side is pulling down

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i2c is great but i'll never understand why every device datasheet has timing diagrams explaining the protocol

like give me a register map and call it a day, there's no need to put the exact same timing diagrams on every single datasheet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah seriously what's up with that

but i mean, they usually explain SPI too, and there's really not that much to explain there.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

i2c is great but i'll never understand why every device datasheet has timing diagrams explaining the protocol

like give me a register map and call it a day, there's no need to put the exact same timing diagrams on every single datasheet

some of us go *just* long enough between i2c implementations to forget. Also every so often a device fucks around with the usual setup and doesn't have sub addresses or does some other weird thing
start - address w - sub address - start - address r - sweet data - stop
managed to forget the sub address the first time so I guess I'm the guy those are for

also IMO all i2c addresses should have the msb set to protect us from the 50/50 split of people who do/don't include the r/w bit in the address when writing it in hex

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you shouldn't be bit banging it anyway "hey HW module on this mcu, talk to address X, write data Z to register Y then read register Q"

if you can't tell if it's a 7/8 bit address by looking at it idgaf

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

yeah seriously what's up with that

but i mean, they usually explain SPI too, and there's really not that much to explain there.

explaining spi is nice because it's so loosely defined. the poo poo i have seen, man. i have seen some poo poo. lvds spi. ddr spi. spi where chip select actually does nothing and god help you if you have anything but the most pristine clock line from power up until forever.

gently caress spi.

i2c is nice if you don't mind some slow as rear end upper limit and don't have to talk to it with an fpga

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

lvds spi

that smiley with the eyeballs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
:gowron:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at what point do you just call it an arbitrary serial protocol. it's SPI if my mcu's hardware serial thingy can talk to it in SPI mode. lvds ddr "SPI" is just trolling

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

explaining spi is nice because it's so loosely defined. the poo poo i have seen, man. i have seen some poo poo. lvds spi. ddr spi. spi where chip select actually does nothing and god help you if you have anything but the most pristine clock line from power up until forever.

gently caress spi.

i2c is nice if you don't mind some slow as rear end upper limit and don't have to talk to it with an fpga

i2c ultra fast mode can do 5Mb/s, oooh yeaaaaaah, i did pre-silicon verification of the i2c and displayport aux channel controller in bay trail and i used to have dreams about i2c i spent so much time fiddling with it in the day for a few weeks there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
spi is "anything with at least one shift register that connects to the outside world and maybe a select line", yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

i've just finished getting our custom jtag subsystem working (since we love doing things the hard way)
dude get on my level

• Locked thread