Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

So I've been reading William Greider's One World: Ready or Not 1996 novel on the Loony Global Economic Revolution, and my dad's been reading novels about the threat of corporate states in Blade Runner style.

I'm wondering three things: When will the current global economic revolution (multi-corporations and all) reach it's expiration date, if it has one? Is the US destined to become a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs? How hosed is the future of our middle class?

Have you ever played Shadowrun? It's coming, just without any of the cool poo poo like trolls or magic.

More realistically:

1) When the last dollar has been sucked out of the last non-trillionaire on Earth and the 20-30 trillionaires left can finally see who "won."
2)Is this a serious question? We've been corporate for a long, long, long loving time. It sucks.
3)As thoroughly and unwillingly hosed as a naive aspiring actress called to see Bill Cosby alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
While its certainly naive to think that we're ever going to get another FDR its quite funny to think that this system isn't inviting a rather bad backlash that power hungry personalities would be more than happy to ride to grant them said power. Also it ignores how our current system largely still relies on there really only being one superpower, which allows mega corps do exist with their power. When a true multipolar world emerge you'll definitely see multinationals have to pick sides and be limited in their abilities.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 3, 2015

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
There's a couple things that could come in the next hundred years that are capable of radically restructuring the entirety of society, and a couple things that could basically cement the status quo of plutocracy for basically the next thousand years. Some of them are the same things! One of them may happen, and it's fun to think about which one happens first!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So should I give up hope that good progressive changes to society, infrastructure and/or technology will come this century as the corporations bleed us dry? Or can we fight back?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted? Cause it's glorious:

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/04/watch-pat-buchanan-school-hannity-iran

Hannity's such a twat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

So should I give up hope that good progressive changes to society, infrastructure and/or technology will come this century as the corporations bleed us dry? Or can we fight back?

Corporations bled us dry a hundred years ago.

So basically it could go either way.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Hannity's such a twat.
Pat Buchanan referring to George W as "your president" to Sean Hannity while criticizing Israel and fearmongering.

am i on dmt

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

cams posted:

Pat Buchanan referring to George W as "your president" to Sean Hannity while criticizing Israel and fearmongering.

am i on dmt

Buchanan's president is David Duke.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Buchanan's president is David Duke.

Pat Buchanan's president is Pat Buchanan.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pat Buchanan's president is Pat Buchanan.

This. The only thing that could have made it funnier was if Ron Paul was there too. Ron and Pat know their history, I don't necessarily agree with their conclusions but they certainly are thinking for themselves instead of uncritically repeating GOP talking points du jure.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
In the entirety of human history, things have started lovely and have stayed lovely. Our lives now are nasty, brutish, and oh so unmercifully long.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VanSandman posted:

In the entirety of human history, things have started lovely and have stayed lovely. Our lives now are nasty, brutish, and oh so unmercifully long.

How's life with all that edge?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

This is a motherfucking pro-click. Watching Pat Buchanan not only eat Hannity's lunch but also call him a coward on TV is the smile of the week.

Seriously, Hannity is such a whiny, chickenhawk little poo poo I can't believe he's an actual right wing persona. Seriously, they have carte blanche to run a right wing TV network and this guy is among the best they can do?

MC Nietzche fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 3, 2015

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Mr Interweb posted:

Hannity's such a twat.

It's odd seeing someone from the 60s America being the sane one.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I was pumped about that Nixon book until I found out who wrote it. Now I'm not sure whether to read it or not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr Interweb posted:

Hannity's such a twat.

"Hussein" :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the last January, “After so many years of sluggish growth, we’re finally starting to see some economic data that can provide a glimmer of hope; the uptick appears to coincide with the biggest political change of the Obama Administration’s long tenure in Washington: the expectation of a new Republican Congress.” ~ Mitch McConnell.

Quote of the morning, "This report clearly shows that President Obama's efforts have not done enough to grow our economy and create jobs fast enough. It's very disappointing to see that job creation slowed down in March... Republicans in Congress know that their efforts to restore the economy have only just begun." ~ Reince Priebus.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Quote of the last January, “After so many years of sluggish growth, we’re finally starting to see some economic data that can provide a glimmer of hope; the uptick appears to coincide with the biggest political change of the Obama Administration’s long tenure in Washington: the expectation of a new Republican Congress.” ~ Mitch McConnell.

Quote of the morning, "This report clearly shows that President Obama's efforts have not done enough to grow our economy and create jobs fast enough. It's very disappointing to see that job creation slowed down in March... Republicans in Congress know that their efforts to restore the economy have only just begun." ~ Reince Priebus.

You're an idiot if you didn't see this coming.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Grouchio posted:

Corporations will continue to bleed us dry. Get in with a big one now before they start constructing war mechs and battling over the remaining resources.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grouchio posted:

We're all hosed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm still half convinced that the nonstop cynicism from Dems is a propaganda move from the GOP that is self sustaining.

Then again I know partisans on the right and they bitch just as much about the end times.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Interweb posted:

Hannity's such a twat.

A Tom Cotton trigger warning should be attached to this video. Pat Buchanan makes more sense on FP than a ton of democrats which is pretty sad.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

computer parts posted:

I'm still half convinced that the nonstop cynicism from Dems is a propaganda move from the GOP that is self sustaining.

Then again I know partisans on the right and they bitch just as much about the end times.

Maybe if they'd stop sending me 50 fundraising emails a day all named ALL HOPE IS LOST, IT'S OVER, OBAMACARE REPEALED, etc!!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

The "end times" look very, very different to a right winger versus a left winger - god-created vs man-created apocalypse. I don't know many sane leftists who actually think we're about to be Left Behind, but a lot that think our current situation has no way out, so we're hosed in the long run.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A holiday message from one of Michigan's own.

Todd Courser posted:

He was pierced for our transgressions...

Posted by Todd Courser 80sc on April 03, 2015

He is Risen! He is Risen from the Dead! And He is coming Again! The world hates Him but He loves you more than anyone....

to my friends who love Jesus:

to those who don't:

to the tolerant:

to the intolerant:

to my friends who are gay:

to my friends who are straight:

to my friends who are liberal:

to my friends who are Jewish::

to my Muslim friends:

to my big government conservative friends:

to my liberty friends:

to my union friends:

to my tweeting friends:

to my clueless friends:

to my veteran friends:

to my animal rights friends:

to my animal eating friends:

to my alternative energy friends:

to my carbon loving friends:

to my redneck friends:

to my Facebook pontificating friends:

to my Democrat friends:

to my Republican friends:

to my totalitarian friends:

to my media loving friends:

to my friends who love Barack Obama and those who hate him:

to my friends who love Rand Paul:

to my friends who love Ted Cruz:

to my friends who love Jeb Bush (not sure why?)

to my friends who love Scott Walker:

to my friends who are winners:

to my friends who are losers:

to my friends who are chain smokers:

to my friends who are boozers

to my political friends: (with and without convictions)

to my friends who live off the system - corporately or personally:

to my friends who wake up everyday and work their tails off so others can live off the system:

to my friends who love the 2nd amendment:

to my friends who love common core:

to my friends who are free marketers:

And to my non-aligned and unaffiliated friends:

To all of you and the rest I missed; in the Spirit of Easter; in the Love of Jesus Christ: I love you, and much more importantly God loves you!

Easter is about the loving redemptive power of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ! It is about His beauty, His majesty, His grace, His mercy, and His awesome unstoppable love! It is about His power and might; His role as the true giver of liberty and freedom for us, allowing us the opportunity to choose or deny Him! And it is about a loving relationship with Him and living a life that is modeled on His life as a sacrifice to Him and for others.

True followers of Christ (not the easy believers who do not follow the Lord), live lives as living sacrifices—sometimes totally messed up lives but still lives given over as living sacrifices to the Lord - there is no requirement to clean up your life before you come to the cross! Their lives are offered up to serve the one true God. And the expression of living a life as a true sacrifice is to live a life of service to others and to Christ as a testimony of His love and kindness in one's own life. A life in Christ in no way makes one perfect, Lord knows I am not, but it is an acknowledgement that Christ has to do the redemptive steps in our lives and that we are completely incapable of anything of value in eternity unless we first turning over to His leading in our lives. Yes, we will still fail and fall short, but it is acknowledging that we are completely incapable of saving ourselves from our sins and the grave.

Whether you acknowledge Him or not, honor Him or not, hate Him or not, He sent His one and only son to die on the cross for you to redeem you from your sins! For you!

Many are offended by my continued acknowledgement of Christ and Him Crucified and that He rose again. Many don't like it that as an elected official I continue to proclaim that Jesus is my Lord and Savior; they are fine with the mention of God but despise the name of Jesus Christ. They scream or vent all the political correctness of "separation of church and state." But the fact is: God has done a redemptive work in me and He is the real reason I do what I do in life; it isn't fame or fortune or some ego driven venture; no, it is simply my feeble attempt to live out a life of service to Him and to proclaim who He is and what He has done for me and for all of us! It is my small attempt to proclaim that God loves us enough to give us the right to live free; to choose Him or not; I hear it from some who say they are Christians and in the church and those who are in the world, they simply want His name to never be spoken again; but if I stop proclaiming Christ may all calamity come upon me! He is, quite simply put, "the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!" And He died on the cross for you and for me!

Jesus is the reason for Easter; He took on himself all the weight of the sin of the world; was beaten and bruised to such an extent that He was unrecognizable as a man; then He was crucified, conquered death and on the third day He rose again! And He now sits at the Mighty Right Hand of the Father and very soon He is coming again!

Easter is about Christ Jesus and how God sent His son to be the Savior of the world! It is about not just His crucifixion for us on the cross and His resurrection, but for the awesome redemption of us from our sins. The world has moved so far away from the gospel that most do not even know the story of Easter and of the resurrection and the power of Christ in our lives; never bowing their knee and giving their lives over to the transforming power of Jesus Christ; they have no idea what God did to His son on the cross and what that means for us if we will just simply believe on Him as the Only Begotten son of the Father.

Easter is nothing short of God's powerful, limitless, abounding love story for us; His awesome unbelievable gift of grace and mercy and true salvation for all who believe! I have been really impressed to simply write this and say God loves you! He loves you! And I love you and I want to see the fullness of God's love moving in your life! He loves you and it doesn't matter what you have done or where you have come from—He loves you! And He sent His son to die on the cross for you and me as the price for our sins! Nothing more and nothing less! His son paid the price and He is the awesome gift of God's love for you!

May God bless you today and may He make His face to shine upon you and may He grant you His peace!

Happy Easter and may the God of Heaven grant you His peace and mercy and His Holy Spirit!

No politics today...

todd

P.S. I did a short email so you saved some time today…please go and love on your family! :)

"But He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our sins; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by His wounds we are healed..." Isaiah 53:5

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How could that message not be interpreted as a direct middle finger to at least half those groups? Or was that the intent?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

The "end times" look very, very different to a right winger versus a left winger - god-created vs man-created apocalypse. I don't know many sane leftists who actually think we're about to be Left Behind, but a lot that think our current situation has no way out, so we're hosed in the long run.

I'm not talking about Rapture, I'm talking about "the Gays are forcing their marriage through/alcohol is legal/prayer is illegal/other crazy poo poo so we are living in a corrupt society with no way out". That latter part is why the gist is the same - there's a feeling of loss of control and your society changing from how you want it to be.

(even though in reality the society we have *now* and/or when they were born is far from how they remember it)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

Hannity's such a twat.

:stare:

Goddamn I loathe Buchanan, but he's a pro in that segment. Hannity spends like five minutes trying to save face and pretend that Buchanan doesn't know anything about history. The production staff must've been laughing their asses off.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I still don't understand how Jesus getting executed redeemed something. They always state this like it's such an obvious fact and I just do not understand why it is supposed to mean anything.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Wulfolme posted:

I still don't understand how Jesus getting executed redeemed something. They always state this like it's such an obvious fact and I just do not understand why it is supposed to mean anything.

The story goes Jesus took our sins, died, and freed us from them by taking them with him to the sin vault or something. It's the whole sacrifice thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wulfolme posted:

It's complicated.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
So does the phrase "fall on the sword" just not exist in y'all's vocabulary or what?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

Debts must be paid. The scales must be balanced. The wages of sin is death, and only the death of an immaculate savior could pay the debt of original sin. Christ redeems the irredeemable.

It makes a lot more sense when you consider the logic comes out of a culture that believed sacrifices and burnt offerings could appease a wrathful god. This is why Jesus is called the lamb of god, because he's the sacrifice god gave himself.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

the sacrifice god gave himself.

See, this poo poo. I see no way this can make sense. That it makes sense has to be taken as a given and then everything can build from there if it has to. No sir, I don't like it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

How could that message not be interpreted as a direct middle finger to at least half those groups? Or was that the intent?

"I love you all so much, but gently caress you"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wulfolme posted:

See, this poo poo. I see no way this can make sense. That it makes sense has to be taken as a given and then everything can build from there if it has to. No sir, I don't like it.
It's why I'm atheist.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

"I love you all so much, but gently caress you"

"Bless your heart" in longform.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
How to make a cocktail, according to the US Department of Agriculture Forrest Service, 1974.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

Debts must be paid. The scales must be balanced. The wages of sin is death, and only the death of an immaculate savior could pay the debt of original sin. Christ redeems the irredeemable.

It makes a lot more sense when you consider the logic comes out of a culture that believed sacrifices and burnt offerings could appease a wrathful god. This is why Jesus is called the lamb of god, because he's the sacrifice god gave himself.

A small correction here. According to what is written Jesus presented the sacrifice later when he was in heaven. Unless one prescribe to the whole Jesus is literally God the almighty belief then it is very confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Joementum posted:

How to make a cocktail, according to the US Department of Agriculture Forrest Service, 1974.

Ag Men.

• Locked thread