Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Antimony, please don't listen to your robodad. He is an enormous bitch. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm personally hoping that Kat will dig up a rule saying Annie can challenge her finals from last year, then tutor her like mad.

Annie will sneak into the Forest if she must, so that's really more of a speedbump.

It doesn't even have to be a rule. There has to be an appeal for a second chance, you have to be able to appeal to retake an exam, especially in high school and especially if you make a direct plea and especially if you can say truthfully that you've been dealing with some real heavy poo poo that year. Remember, this is only about repeating a grade, it's not something like dealing drugs or major assault that will [depending on county/state/nation] get students expelled with no chance of appeal. And I say "have to" not because it's a rule but because convincing people it's not a rule could take even more effort than just caving in (if you think long term you put up just enough passive resistance to discourage setting a precedent). The principal himself might grant that second chance simply to get them out of his office. And we know the principal can think in terms of strategy, to some extent, and if he loses Annie's connection to the school physically, or even having her be emotionally disconnected from her classmates by being put down a year, her connection to the forest will grow stronger and any sympathy she has to the Court will weaken. Oh, he might assist in scaring the crap out of her with the whole academic failure thing, but I wouldn't put it past him to rig the make-up exam himself to get her to pass.

Rei_ posted:

Yeah and it's a strange thing. Even Jones, who is as far as i can remember, entirely unemotive, has shown a greater degree of expression. It really makes him stand out among GC's rather emotive and expressive cast. On top of that, his face is consistently awfully detailed with not just scars but stress lines and whatnot. At times the skin around his eyes crinkles in a way that makes it almost look like he's wearing some sort of weird loving skin mask. He looks like he's been through some poo poo (like, is that all from Zimmy? Maybe?) but it also makes him look like an intrusive element in the world. He stands out among this sort of fantastical world as being a completely rigid being, he looks the most detailed but in many ways it makes him look the most artificial.

And again, what the gently caress did Surma see in him? Like honestly that's the comics biggest mystery at this point

I keep having theories about this guy and his...well...his dickishness. Theory 1 is he really is a completely un-emotive lawful-stupid guy, (like Javert from Les Mis...and I bet Russell Crowe can sing better than he can too, which is saying something). Theory 2 is that he's a genuine fucktard who literally blames his daughter for his wife's death and is punishing her. Theory 3 is he's testing her for something, he wants her to flare up in front of him (perhaps literally), because he wants her to help him in secret stuff. Theory 4 is he's a stern father who is trying to make up for over a decade of neglect but has no idea how to do that or how to interact with children, and he's defaulting to some mindset he learned sometime in his life, but that he genuinely might have a good reason for being away all this time, again it's some secret stuff. Really I think it's a combination of all of these things, but mostly 3. This guy is cunning as hell.

Despite myself, I almost like this guy. He's a total complete jerk, I still want to punch him. My ideas about Surma and him are probably tainted by far too many sitcoms and romcoms, but I reckon Surma lived and interacted in a way that everyone responded to, not romantically or sexually, but people gave her attention and changed themselves around her. Then there's this one guy who just doesn't change at all. Could that have been alluring, a challenge? Does fire like challenge? Do girls like a challenge? I dunno, I still like him though.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
He doesn't have any official authority to remove her from her position. But she's his daughter. He expects that he can just tell her to stop doing it and she'll back down and stop doing it; nobody can MAKE her do it if she chooses not to. And he might be right. We've seen before how much she respects him, God only knows why.

I really want this to be the breaking point, but it probably won't be. She definitely isn't going to let him take Renard, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Itzena posted:

:geno: "And a girl of your age has no requirement for soft toys, so it has been removed to containment".
Yes!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

JT Jag posted:

Circa March 23rd. drat.

Wbat do you want, a cookie?

In all seriousness, this is where unstoppable force meets immovable object. Annie has LIVED in the forest for a time. She will not give that up.

Also this is where Anthony's knowledge stops, I think.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The no more forest shenanigans condition makes it seem more likely that the Warden Headmaster is behind this at least partially.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
edit: ^^^Beat me as I was typing it up!

So assuming this isn't all a dream sequence... the headmaster has to be behind this in some way right? He didn't want Annie, for whatever reason, to visit the forest anymore. After he denies her the medium position he says her forest visits are over and she can now focus 100% on her schoolwork, and also said she could return Reynard to them. This chapter confirms he and the rest of the staff knew about the cheating. The headmasters plan would've worked if Coyote hadn't given the position of forest medium to her with Jones, Andrew AND Parley all siding with her, going against what the headmaster says. Elgamore and Kat's parents are obviously not gonna side with the headmaster either. So bringing Annie's father in is probably a last ditch effort as he's the only authority figure that Annie will actually listen to (that isn't backing her 100% on these things).

Also surely the next page or soon Anthony is gonna be him demanding she turn over Reynard to him and that'll finally being the last straw for her right? Right??

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Zerilan posted:

It's just going to end up being the PBF Fun Bot comic with Coyote as Fun Bot.

Hey, so I just looked at the Fun Bot comic for nostalgia's sake and it turns out PBF is updating again. This is a Good Thing.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Macaluso posted:

Also surely the next page or soon Anthony is gonna be him demanding she turn over Reynard to him and that'll finally being the last straw for her right? Right??

Pretty sure this is the next page. And of course this is the only time he's actually going to pretend to care about her: "oh, he tried to kill you that one time after being tortured for years, he's dangerous to you, blah blah". Even though Reynard, along with Ysengrim and Eglamore, have each been infinitely better male role models than he has ever been, and put together might actually make one hell of a father figure.

Edit: yeah douche bag, the guy who tried to kill your daughter is still a better role model for her than you are.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 3, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Everything Carver the Father has done/said has been reasonable/correct.

Except the makeup I guess. That was kind of mean but I suppose if you find out your daughter has only done school work for two classes for years...

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 3, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Brightman posted:

The no more forest shenanigans condition makes it seem more likely that the Warden Headmaster is behind this at least partially.

Hell, I bet the Headmaster is involved because how else would Anthony get Kat's work? I can't imagine will give other children's class/homework to another classmate's parents.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trying to remove Rey might well be the one thing that'd break her obedience, given how Rey has been a quasi-father-figure. And of course they can't remove Rey from her possession unwillingly without freeing him from his restrictions, at which point he'd probably try to gut Anthony or something.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Anthony has to know he is crossing Coyote by doing this. He cannot be that dense. He has to have some other motive.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Everything Carver the Father has done/said has been reasonable/correct.

Except the bit where he disappeared for his daughter's formative years, then didn't so much as say hi when he returmed

E: that's why he's interesting. He's not stupid and doesn't really seem to be wrong, but the part of him that would normally interact with other human beings is just flat out missing.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I think everyone understands that Anthony is either severely autistic or suffers from some kind of personality disorder. It doesn't stop/excuse him from being an abusive parent, though.

Save us, Zimmy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Anthony has to know he is crossing Coyote by doing this. He cannot be that dense. He has to have some other motive.

Maybe he doesn't believe in Coyote. And Coyote's powers depend on peoples' faith so it could well be that that's a hard stop for him.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Maybe he doesn't believe in Coyote. And Coyote's powers depend on peoples' faith so it could well be that that's a hard stop for him.

This isn't Planescape:Torment, where belief or disbelief could actively and directly influence the universe. Coyote was FORMED by the beliefs of dying people crossing into the Ether. At this point he very firmly exists, Anthony not believing in him matters jack poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

Anthony has no official authority to remove Annie from being the forest's medium.

He's her father and she's his daughter; he has the authority to remove her from anything.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

rotinaj posted:

Monday's update gonna be text only. "And so, Annie was an exemplary student and worked herself tirelessly, until she turned seventeen and hung herself in her bedroom with a belt, out of loneliness. The end. No moral!"
Then it turns into the Zimmy and Gamma show!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Aumanor posted:

This isn't Planescape:Torment, where belief or disbelief could actively and directly influence the universe. Coyote was FORMED by the beliefs of dying people crossing into the Ether. At this point he very firmly exists, Anthony not believing in him matters jack poo poo.

Coyote's big reveal was literally a spooky-rear end "I do not exist!" so...

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
You know who else only has one functioning hand/arm? Big Bird. Because he's a puppet operated by someone who has to use one arm to move the mouth and the other to move the remaining arm.

This is actually an Anthony-puppet. Who can you think of in the Court that has two arms, can talk and is otherwise completely worthless?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rei_ posted:

And again, what the gently caress did Surma see in him? Like honestly that's the comics biggest mystery at this point

It's been suggested in this thread before, but fire needs to spread ("when you have a child"), and I'm guessing that Anthony was literally the only guy left standing when the music stopped (neither he nor Surma paired up in school from what we've seen) and so Surma was compelled.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Still, the way it works is pretty clearly explained in that vey chapter:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I now expect Annie will deal with these developments in the mature, time-tested, true teen manner: she's going to run away from home

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

I now expect Annie will deal with these developments in the mature, time-tested, true teen manner: she's going to run away from home

If she runs to the forest, it'll be very interesting to see how the Court reacts.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

YF-23 posted:

I love the philosophical part of all that. But it really boils down to "tree falling in the forest" type stuff. "What is real...?" etc etc. From that viewpoint, Coyote is more real than most humans, he just lacks atoms. Going a bit meta, I could argue that the fictional character of Coyote is more real than the actual me. And you can say his personality is simply a congealed mass of what humans think his consciousness to be, but then you get into psychology, and who's personality isn't influenced by what others think them to be?

Maybe that's the thing? Maybe Carver is the philosophical opposite because he's never influenced by other peoples' views on or beliefs in him. As was pointed out, even Jones adapts to other people. Ugh, an anti-Coyote.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

The Red Queen posted:

You know who else only has one functioning hand/arm? Big Bird. Because he's a puppet operated by someone who has to use one arm to move the mouth and the other to move the remaining arm.

This is actually an Anthony-puppet. Who can you think of in the Court that has two arms, can talk and is otherwise completely worthless?

Clearly this post is the only truth.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronClaymore posted:

Edit: yeah douche bag, the guy who tried to kill your daughter is still a better role model for her than you are.

both of them are :haw:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Aumanor posted:

Still, the way it works is pretty clearly explained in that vey chapter:
[images]

Please re-host images if you're going to post them, hotlinking eats up the comic's bandwidth without giving Tom any ad revenue and such.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm hoping for Hetty to show up and says 'SIIIIIIIIIGH' at this point. Come on, we all know the story isn't going to suddenly end just because dumb dad came back into it and said so. Someone set him on fire, or ether punch him, or send a robot army after him, or bite his knees off, or something.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm quite enjoying it :shobon: It's adding a little bit of suspense to my week.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I think everyone understands that Anthony is either severely autistic or suffers from some kind of personality disorder. It doesn't stop/excuse him from being an abusive parent, though.

Save us, Zimmy.

It doesn't take either of those things to act like this guy is.

The court doesn't give a poo poo about coyote or the forest. They've said that a lot. Like look at the headmaster when coyote comes to visit way back when: he's like "yaaaawn". The court sees the forest as a bunch of silly animals. When's the last time coyote did anything. The Annan waters and the split. But then the court did a thing and now coyote doesn't do jack poo poo to them.

The only people who are like whoah coyote are the ones who interact with the forest: eglamore, the donlans, etc

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 3, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The twist will be that he's not even a new teacher, he just didn't bother telling her he regularly teaches the higher years' science class.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
Tom is just piling it on, and I'm sure he's enjoying it, but it's moved past the point of annoyance for me. I'm just gonna stop reading for a few months until this whole thing gets sorted out.

This is excellent narrative, but the update schedule combined with the dickery just makes this comic not fun to read right now.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I'm sorry, but Anthony is a fantastically well done character.

Also that image on the Paz book is a horreo. They are used in Spain to store grain.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

UndyingShadow posted:

Tom is just piling it on, and I'm sure he's enjoying it, but it's moved past the point of annoyance for me. I'm just gonna stop reading for a few months until this whole thing gets sorted out.

This is excellent narrative, but the update schedule combined with the dickery just makes this comic not fun to read right now.

This is going to sound a little weird, but... it's enjoyable to me because it's not enjoyable. It's the outcome of Annie continually flaunting the court's authority: remember the panel where she sarcastically suggested that they contact her parents if they weren't accepting of her actions? We all knew the fall would be painful, and it hurts to see Annie getting devastated repeatedly, but we all knew something like this was coming, and that it was going to be pretty painful!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

It doesn't take either of those things to act like this guy is.

It's been shown a lot during the flashbacks too, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just wonder how long it's going to continue. What if Anthony doesn't care about what Donald/Anja/Jimmy Jims have to say, and has some kind of magical doohickey to imprison Reynard whether Antimony likes it or not, and Annie isn't emotionally ready to defy him? That could get really unpleasant.

Although I'm pretty sure that Antimony will cut loose when Anthony tries to take Reynard away, if she doesn't do it now. She's way more emotionally attached to him than she is to her father at this point. (I'm also pretty sure Anthony is going to try and go for that, because that's just the line he's been taking.)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

It's been shown a lot during the flashbacks too, though.

I'm not convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.