Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm marathoning through Allegiance and it's surprisingly decent. It's basically The Americans crossed with 24 crossed with Sherlock. Hope Davis is pretty great, though her half-Russian accent is strange.

Edit: Every episode begins at literally the same moment the previous one ended. Suck on that, 24.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Olympus is bargain basement Spartacus with even worse green screen work and dialog that would make the CW turn away in disgust.

Is anyone legitimately shocked that a new Sifi show sucks? After the network heads put someone in charge who hates genre shows because they think genre shows are too niche of an audience? They could just rename the channel to the Asylum films and wrasslin channel, and it would make as much sense as their current name.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 3, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I refuse to believe anything to do with James Corden isn't poo poo.

Hey I still say Gavin and Stacey was awesome

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrakkorzog posted:

Is anyone legitimately shocked that a new Sifi show sucks? After the network heads put someone in charge who hates genre shows because they think genre shows are too niche of an audience? They could just rename the channel to the Asylum films and wrasslin channel, and it would make as much sense as their current name.

Well again, 12 Monkeys is a legitimately good television show, so I had a bit of hope. Considering I went in blind only hearing it was reminiscent of Spartacus crossed with Greek Mythology I was hoping for something at least watchable. It was most definitely not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I heard terrible things about Olympus so I didn't even bother.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm marathoning through Allegiance and it's surprisingly decent. It's basically The Americans crossed with 24 crossed with Sherlock. Hope Davis is pretty great, though her half-Russian accent is strange.

Edit: Every episode begins at literally the same moment the previous one ended. Suck on that, 24.
I went through all 9 episodes that have aired. I haven't marathoned anything that hard since season 1 of House of Cards.

It's an eminently watchable show. Check it out if you're in 24 withdrawal.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 3, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My wife is watching the worst show, Neighbors with Benefits the swingers TV show. If you want to hate watch something then watch that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Women will watch any old poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
12 monkeys was godwful, the hell is wrong with you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The show is much better than anyone expected.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone know if the Mr. Show DVD box set has any extra features that the individual seasons don't? I've decided it's finally time to own it, and buying the individual seasons is cheaper on Amazon. Information seems scant.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Here's a notice for all those people that love watching terrible TV, tonight there was a new show on Syfy called Olympus and it was among one of the worst things I've seen on TV in a long time. I'm not totally sure what the people making it were thinking at the time but it wasn't anything good.

I feel like Lifetime movies are cheating, but in a hotel a couple weeks ago that only got Lifetime and a couple other channels, they had a movie on called "Wuthering High School", a terrible movie inspired by Wuthering Heights, the terrible book you may have had to read in high school English class. It ended with the main character girl being so mad at her bad-boy boyfriend that she walked into the ocean and drowned herself in a foot or so of water within a matter of seconds. After her funeral, bad boy ex boyfriend broke into the cemetery after hours and dug up her grave so he could cuddle next to her corpse, Hunchback of Notre Dame style. Roll credits.

I know that makes it sound like something you might want to watch for the sheer WTF factor. I recommend against following that urge.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

corn in the bible posted:

Nah it's pretty great for a serious show on siffy. Lately all they've done well is not-serious, like the absolutely fantastic Z Nation.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Here's a notice for all those people that love watching terrible TV, tonight there was a new show on Syfy called Olympus and it was among one of the worst things I've seen on TV in a long time. I'm not totally sure what the people making it were thinking at the time but it wasn't anything good.

Just loving name me next time.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
God's Not Dead is on Netflix, if you want to watch Kevin Sorbo be a prick mixed in with something that felt like twelve unrelated subplots.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amanda Tapping directed episode 5 and episode 10 of Olympus. So i'm back for at least those two.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mo0 posted:

God's Not Dead is on Netflix, if you want to watch Kevin Sorbo be a prick mixed in with something that felt like twelve unrelated subplots.

That movies hilariously awful.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Netflix actually has a whole category of "Faith and Spirituality" movies meant to cater to the Religious Right. In case you want to see the garbage Kirk Cameron makes when he's not doing low budget Left Behind sequels.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

feedmyleg posted:

Does anyone know if the Mr. Show DVD box set has any extra features that the individual seasons don't? I've decided it's finally time to own it, and buying the individual seasons is cheaper on Amazon. Information seems scant.

Unless there's a new one out there the box set I bought like 10 years ago is just a big sleeve over the 3 other DVD sets

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

Amanda Tapping directed episode 5 and episode 10 of Olympus. So i'm back for at least those two.

Nobody knows who that is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't be a dickhead.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

Don't be a dickhead.

No, seriously, who is she? Has she directed anything good?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look at her imdb, i'm not enabling you.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ok I love Amanda Tapping on SG-1 as much as any other Stargate fan does but she hasn't exactly done anything memorable enough outside of Stargate to make me go out of my way and watch an episode of some crappy show that she directed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She directed a few episodes of Continuum that were great and Sanctuary. SHe directed an episode of Strange Empire too, which is a very under rated show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

No, seriously, who is she? Has she directed anything good?

Stargate and no.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

More praise for Daredevil.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/04/03/review-daredevil-is-one-of-marvels-greatest-achievements/

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Stargate and no.

She directed the episode of Continuum in season where Emily dies and they have the big gun/kick fight with the Freelancers. Also back to back episodes in season 3 where they have the chemical attack and Future Kiera crash lands with her prisoner in the organic farm Great episodes. She doesn't do it much, but she know her way around the job.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

It's bad, but not terrible. It's good quality for Syfy.

Here's the cyclops from "Olympus". His eyeball is in his mouth, yet he still has eyelids on his forehead, and has teeth in his mouth. How does he function exactly? Is the eyeball retractable, like when he feeds, the eyeball goes to his forehead and rests there, and comes back when he finishes so he's blind as he eats? Because that could be a great weakness, but somehow I doubt that's how he works.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 4, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mo0 posted:

This movie is genuinely hilarious, especially the completely unrelated weird subplots like Duck Dynasty Guy and Girl That Gets Cancer.

I feel pretty stupid for not watching Broad City until today. Is good.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I watched the first episode of Broad City and got totally turned off by Fred Armisen's appearance.

I don't even hate Fred Armisen or anything, but poo poo Fred can't I watch one hipster sketch comedy show without you popping in to say hi

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Since I don't remember him being on the show at all, he was probably just a guest star in the pilot. You should give it another try. It really is a fun show.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

This movie is genuinely hilarious, especially the completely unrelated weird subplots like Duck Dynasty Guy and Girl That Gets Cancer.

She doesn't get any specific kind of cancer, either. Just Cancer. And her boyfriend Dean Cain is clearly a businessman but you can't loving tell what exactly it is he does. His dialogue is one step removed from Lorem Ipsum.

And then he dumps Girl Who Gets Cancer because... She Got Cancer! Why? Why?

That movie is so blatantly manipulative it might as well have been a Lifetime movie, it would be impressive if it weren't so loving awful.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

They should bring ALF back imho
They did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qXFi1cUFcg

It was real bad

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Why Martin Sheen, why?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rocksicles posted:

She directed a few episodes of Continuum that were great and Sanctuary. SHe directed an episode of Strange Empire too, which is a very under rated show.
Is Strange Empire deserving of the "underrated" title? Honest question, because I hadn't watched any Westerns prior to it, but it seemed to really drag really badly at times. And then other times it was pretty good. And then it dragged on or it did something dumb and took me out of it again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mo0 posted:

That movie is so blatantly manipulative it might as well have been a Lifetime movie, it would be impressive if it weren't so loving awful.

Thing is, that kind of thing will always be at least some degree of a hit, because it comes with a large ready-made audience who'll be receptive regardless of its quality. See also: Left Behind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eezee posted:

Since I don't remember him being on the show at all, he was probably just a guest star in the pilot. You should give it another try. It really is a fun show.

Yeah he was in one scene in the pilot. And it was a funny scene. Broad City rules hard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

12 Monkeys looks like a CW show. A bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So 12 Monkeys sucks? I have the whole season on my DVR and just figured I'd let it finish and watch it all at once since its a weird one. I thought I had heard good reviews for it early on. But if it sucks there's other stuff to watch.

• Locked thread