Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

soooo has anyone else been unable to get the game to even start after the episode 2 download, because this is annoying as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

You running it through Steam? If so did you do the usual, verify integrity of game cache, and delete clientregistry.blob if that's still a fix that applies?

Max posted:

Probably just Elephant. It's from the same era as some of those other films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htlsOf3PnGY

This is Top of the Lake, which owed a lot to Twin Peaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSfUYoiRM0
Awesome, I didn't even know about Top of the Lake, I never would have gotten that. Elephant I remember the name of now, but it wasn't on my radar.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Awesome, I didn't even know about Top of the Lake, I never would have gotten that. Elephant I remember the name of now, but it wasn't on my radar.

It's very good, and features a young missing girl as the driving plot point. It didn't get a lot of exposure here, sadly, since it was sort of stealth released on Netflix with very little fanfare, and is more of a mini-series than it is a movie. Still, absolutely worth your time.

Edit: Over/under on this one getting referenced on one of the cars in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtY_545-ST8

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You running it through Steam? If so did you do the usual, verify integrity of game cache, and delete clientregistry.blob if that's still a fix that applies?

yes and yes. i looked at their tech support forums but the few people who have this issue haven't posted anything that's worked for them (or me). it's a bummer, guess i'll have to wait for their support to email me back.

i'll post here if i get a solution that works in case someone else has the same problem, but i suspect i have to wait for a patch.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

top of the lake is a quality show I recommend it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rosalind posted:

None that I can find on Deviantart. Also can't find any Max x Warren either. There's hardly any Warren art at all.

Warren x David's Gun I could get behind

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

RightClickSaveAs posted:

North By Northwest? That's really stretching it if so :mad:

Another Earth

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Just got the chance to play the episode. I gotta admit, it took a while, but I've become pretty invested in things. I love all the chill "walk around, examine stuff, talk to people" segments that Telltale games have been lacking. Gotta say, it kinda reminds me of Gone Home. (I liked Gone Home). The music was great, as usual.

I saved Kate, much to my relief. Nice to know two episodes of small, nice gestures added up. Got Nathan suspended. I know he's probably a false herring in the grand scheme of things, but gently caress thst kid. Couldn't blame David, dude's not exactly a great guy, (still haven't forgiven him for hitting Chloe) but I'm pretty sure he legitly has good intentions.

I wanna like Chloe, but gosdamn, girl, stop playing with guns! Why was there no "YOU loving SHOT YOURSELF, STOP PLAYING WITH GUNS" option? That and the fact that you couldn't avoid the standoff with shady dude were the only things that really annoyed me this episode. Dammit, Max, I know you're a doormat, but would it kill you to be just a tad more insistent on avoiding a completely unnecessary conflict?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

They've really picked up the slack for interactivity and exploration, Telltale's dropped that ball a while ago and doesn't look to be going back. I'm spending a few hours with each episode at this point, not counting the second playthrough I plan to do with alternate choices. Collecting the photos and the Gone Home style postcards and fliers and stuff adds a neat way to categorize all your wanderings.

dmboogie posted:

I wanna like Chloe, but gosdamn, girl, stop playing with guns! Why was there no "YOU loving SHOT YOURSELF, STOP PLAYING WITH GUNS" option? That and the fact that you couldn't avoid the standoff with shady dude were the only things that really annoyed me this episode. Dammit, Max, I know you're a doormat, but would it kill you to be just a tad more insistent on avoiding a completely unnecessary conflict?
Yeah I was glad to let it get taken away from Max. Sure, RV guy has the gun now, but he probably could get one anyway, and now Chloe doesn't have it to wave around and be an idiot with. It will remain to be seen if it makes any real difference, but so far they seem to be doing a decent job at consequences.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I noticed something when I was watching someone else's playthrough of Ep 1. This may have been discussed before and I've missed it, but anyway.

I found it weird first time through that saving that bird's life in David's room has future consequences. Figured it might mean the bird shits on you later or something, but as far as I can tell it doesn't show up at any other point (so far). Later on, when you're searching the garage, you find out David has been secretly filming the house. If he watches that tape back, what's he going to see? Does Max suddenly appear in the room after rewinding time to save the bird? If you haven't signed the petition to stop the security cameras, he might watch those tapes as well and discover Max's secret.

On another note, how the gently caress does this time travel actually work? The first time it happens you go all the way back to the classroom, but later on you stay where you are and time rewinds around you. Has no-one noticed that Max suddenly appears next to them?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Don't think about the mechanics of it too much.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I noticed something when I was watching someone else's playthrough of Ep 1. This may have been discussed before and I've missed it, but anyway.

I found it weird first time through that saving that bird's life in David's room has future consequences. Figured it might mean the bird shits on you later or something, but as far as I can tell it doesn't show up at any other point (so far). Later on, when you're searching the garage, you find out David has been secretly filming the house. If he watches that tape back, what's he going to see? Does Max suddenly appear in the room after rewinding time to save the bird? If you haven't signed the petition to stop the security cameras, he might watch those tapes as well and discover Max's secret.

On another note, how the gently caress does this time travel actually work? The first time it happens you go all the way back to the classroom, but later on you stay where you are and time rewinds around you. Has no-one noticed that Max suddenly appears next to them?

The bird is an achievement thing

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This is totally real and definitely not an April Fools joke.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

But I can't turn back time so its totally going to die. :(

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Would buy if it plays the "This action will have consequences" audio cue whenever you water it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Was anyone else confused on how the bottle part proved anything as far as Max's powers are concerned? The diner stuff made sense but the bottle thing just left me confused on how that proved anything.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Chloe just wanted to dick around with Max's powers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Was anyone else confused on how the bottle part proved anything as far as Max's powers are concerned? The diner stuff made sense but the bottle thing just left me confused on how that proved anything.

From Chloe's perspective Max appears to know everything and when stuff will happen? She's probably just extrapolating that Max has even MORE powers!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
:psyduck: Holy poo poo, this game is so good. I really liked how the only way to figure out what's going on with Kate is to seriously pay attention , and the only way to save her is to be a real friend.

I need to go back to pick up some achievements , and probably a few important scenes I missed, but I'm guessing Jefferson killed Rachel - the tornado represents the vortex club, because it seems to break everyone it comes into contact with and is trying to pull Max into something bad - and also that Max has already lived through this week at least a couple times now because she can't find a way to save Chloe.

That's my guess anyway.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 3, 2015

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Macaluso posted:

Max gave Chloe the correct instructions on where to aim to break the bottles without missing on each and every shot, even with the trick shots. So from Chloe's perspective Max either has incredibly good judgement for other people aiming or she has powers.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Viridiant posted:

Max gave Chloe the correct instructions on where to aim to break the bottles without missing on each and every shot, even with the trick shots. So from Chloe's perspective Max either has incredibly good judgement for other people aiming or she has powers.
Which is kind of ridiculous as there are so many factors affecting something like that, especially when it's another person aiming a gun, but hey it's a game about someone who can rewind time, that's not nearly the most implausible thing. It was actually a pretty interesting and creative way to explore the rewind mechanic more and set up a sort-of puzzle, while making use of the junkyard and getting into Chloe's newfound gun nuttery.

Plus the fireball when you shoot the gas tank looks pretty rad, I rewound that a few times in slow motion. The Unreal engine is being put to good use in this game.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Trial and error doesn't make a puzzle. And if the diner thing at least required some attention, the shooting episode was nothing but a vicious cycle of click a thing, rewind, click another thing. It's the opposite of good use of any engine and the opposite of good in general. It's bad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Trial and error doesn't make a puzzle. And if the diner thing at least required some attention, the shooting episode was nothing but a vicious cycle of click a thing, rewind, click another thing. It's the opposite of good use of any engine and the opposite of good in general. It's bad.

I'd have to agree. The "Puzzles" in this game are pretty terrible, and even the ones that are not technically bad the train comes to mind have absolutely no tension because you literally have a rewind button.

Basically the Video game part of this Video Game is really, really bad. The first episode didn't use the mechanics too much outside of conversation stuff, which is why I probably think the first episode was lightyears better.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 3, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

For the engine, I meant the look of the game. The art style makes good use of the engine, everything looks really rich and colorful, and you have some cool effects like the fireball.

That's why I just called it a sort of puzzle, I thought it was a creative, if weird, way to give you some objectives. I like the way they've been doing stuff like this, its definitely a far sight more engaging than Telltales button mashing events sprinkled here and there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

For the engine, I meant the look of the game. The art style makes good use of the engine, everything looks really rich and colorful, and you have some cool effects like the fireball.

That's why I just called it a sort of puzzle, I thought it was a creative, if weird, way to give you some objectives. I like the way they've been doing stuff like this, its definitely a far sight more engaging than Telltales button mashing events sprinkled here and there.

Well, I agree that aesthetically the game is very pleasant. Characters' animations and models, environments, and art style are way better executed than what we usually see from Tell Tale (maybe with the exception of their latest effort with Borderlands that also looks pretty good AND is fun to play), but I'll take QQQQQQQQQQQQ for an intense action scene over knocking about a scrapyard in search of bottles every time. You also have to remember that the real equivalent to QTEs in Life is Strange are moments when something falls on you and you just have to rewind time. It's even less engaging, if anything.

Going back to the infamous fetch quest, I realise that in part it's a way to force some exploration on players, but in this particular case we learned literally nothing from visiting the graffiti shack that we didn't know before, i.e. that Chloe and Rachel were close, while exploring the area around the diner actually brought some insights into the plot and characters without being forced.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I agree on that, I think the fetch quest/hunt is the weakest part of the game so far. I can give them that though, and I didn't mind it much as I was going to explore the entire area anyway.

Stuff like the diner exploration is where they're really knocking it out of the park, that rewards exploration in a big way and gives the player more of an active role in fleshing out the story.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else they do with rewinding, especially now that the basics have been established and the laws of physics are starting to kick in. There are a bunch of creative ideas they could explore.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'd have to agree. The "Puzzles" in this game are pretty terrible, and even the ones that are not technically bad the train comes to mind have absolutely no tension because you literally have a rewind button.

Basically the Video game part of this Video Game is really, really bad. The first episode didn't use the mechanics too much outside of conversation stuff, which is why I probably think the first episode was lightyears better.

Are you familiar with telltales offerings? I ask because this occupies the same genre, and these narrative-driven games as a whole aren't really the most "gamey" in the traditional sense. Although if you think someone is making this sort of game in such a fashion, I'd be curious to know what it is.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Karnegal posted:

Are you familiar with telltales offerings? I ask because this occupies the same genre, and these narrative-driven games as a whole aren't really the most "gamey" in the traditional sense. Although if you think someone is making this sort of game in such a fashion, I'd be curious to know what it is.
Yeah I don't think puzzles in a traditional sense are going to make it in to this type of game. I'm just so happy to see something approaching gameplay in this kind of story heavy adventure game that I'm willing to relax the definition a little. At this point, just being able to actually walk around and explore at your own pace is a big deal for me.

Although Dreamfall Chapters is doing a great job, and they have some more traditional puzzles.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
My Max is going to touch Warren's dick for free transportation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So when is the next episode coming out?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Es

orcane posted:

So when is the next episode coming out?

Estimated at May 5th us 6th worldwide.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I'm pretty hyped for this upcoming episode. I don't know what's going to happen, but I have a feeling it's going to be glorious.
At least it gives me a reason to replay given I've probably forgotten who's who by now!

I think the thing I'm worried most about is if they decide to not do anything with Kate. I saved her and I don't want her to be just completely forgotten. I mean, I'd understand if that DID happen; there's only so much you can do with determinants before you're developing for a side of the game some people won't see. Still, I hope for a few scenes showing the impact Kate's suicide has on Max and the others, and another few scenes showing Kate getting the help she needs and getting better. If she's dropped like a hot potato, I will be sad.:(

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Re: Kate, I managed to save her in my playthrough with a good amount of effort spent (although I did encourage her to wait while I investigated), but while the game is pretty awesome so far, I think it's going to be hard for the writers to do two separate timelines, one with heavy Kate involvement and one without. Personally, the easy way out for them would seem to be to have Kate take a leave of absence from the school while she goes to psych treatment, but we'll see how they handle it. I'd like to see it make an impact on the rest of the series, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I wouldn't mind if living Kate wasn't totally active but there should definitely be a huge tonal difference if she dies and she better play a major role at the end if she lives. I think they can do it though, I mean if Alpha Protocol can do similar things with presumably less dev time and possibly budget, they don't really have an excuse.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 3, 2015

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
90% certain they're going to do a Donnie Darko ending so that nothing that happens is going to matter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Junkfist posted:

90% certain they're going to do a Donnie Darko ending so that nothing that happens is going to matter.
They've actually already said they'll be several different endings so that probably won't be the case.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

They've actually already said they'll be several different endings so that probably won't be the case.

I'll wait till we're 1 episode out from the end to make a judgement call, but right now it certainly does appear to be going in the Donnie Darko direction.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Every time this thread gets bumped I get hopeful for a release date :(

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Accordion Man posted:

You'll time travel to before it all happened with different voice overs.

There will be 5. One for each point on the Kinsey Scale your Max goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Gwaint posted:

I think the thing I'm worried most about is if they decide to not do anything with Kate. I saved her and I don't want her to be just completely forgotten. I mean, I'd understand if that DID happen; there's only so much you can do with determinants before you're developing for a side of the game some people won't see. Still, I hope for a few scenes showing the impact Kate's suicide has on Max and the others, and another few scenes showing Kate getting the help she needs and getting better. If she's dropped like a hot potato, I will be sad.:(

I'm expecting a scene or two where you visit her in the hospital if you saved her, and lots of throwaway lines from other characters throughout the next episode about how depressed they are, if you didn't.

• Locked thread