Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Leperflesh posted:

There's loads of empty housing! in Detroit Therefore it's evil for companies to build housing in California! Argh!
I was originally addressing the hand-wringing over the "poor real estate developers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

FRINGE posted:

I was originally addressing the hand-wringing over the "poor real estate developers".

Okay but the "hand-wringing" was actually somebody saying there's a major shortage of housing supply in the bay area, not arguing about whether we have a surplus of housing nationally.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

There's loads of empty housing! in Detroit Therefore it's evil for companies to build housing in California! Argh!

Hey now! Richmond and Riverside aren't detroit!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Nobody is wringing their hands. We have a severe shortage of housing in California's major cities, we have developers who want to build housing those cities, and we have a woeful lack of new housing being built - especially downtown - in those cities. There are a lot of reasons for it, but most of them boil down to NIMBYism and a lack of regional cooperation. We need to increase density any way we can. People complain that new developments focus on the wealthy - they don't understand that overall pricing is dependent on overall supply. The wealthy move up, the middle move up, the poor move up, everyone wins. That may sound like trickle-down economics, and it is, to an extent. But experiments with government-built housing have tended to go... poorly, let's say.

It's a tough problem, but blaming it on greedy developers isn't helpful.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

The wealthy move up, the middle move up, the poor move up, everyone wins.
Except that this is not happening. The wealthy move up, the middle class move down, and the poor get cardboard boxes. The market stays inflated and the things that would be "for the poors" are inflated along with everything else, or destroyed if they threaten the profits of the controlling parties.

This is tied to the great game.

In a non-broken system it might be otherwise.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Kinda. I think there are plenty of people that would rather have a nice luxury apartment in downtown instead of a place like the Marina where prices are hilariously inflated. Especially for things like "weekend" homes that a fair number of people keep.

We aren't quite at NYC levels where "luxury apartment" is a code word for "off shore bank vaults for Emirs", people still live in our luxury apartments/condos (even if they only live there part time). Relaxing pressure on the top will make life a lot easier for the upper middle class ($120K+/yr households). Median income folks (~75K/yr households) will still be pretty hosed.

Which is why we need "poor doors" like NYC is pioneering with mixed income houses. Ideally we wouldn't have to do that and, you know, treat people like human beings instead of animals, but that's not gonna happen anytime too soon. Especially since a lot of the people driving the luxury market won't be living there full time, so they will be extra worried that the poors might steal their stuff.

It's a loving childish worldview. Just talking about it makes me depressed.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Shbobdb posted:

Which is why we need "poor doors" like NYC is pioneering with mixed income houses. Ideally we wouldn't have to do that and, you know, treat people like human beings instead of animals, but that's not gonna happen anytime too soon. Especially since a lot of the people driving the luxury market won't be living there full time, so they will be extra worried that the poors might steal their stuff.

On-site BMR units are better than nothing, but they'll never be a scalable solution since they're literally a lottery for subsidized housing and in CA's major urban areas the most significant source of funding for that subsidy is fees on market-rate development.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Except that this is not happening. The wealthy move up, the middle class move down, and the poor get cardboard boxes. The market stays inflated and the things that would be "for the poors" are inflated along with everything else, or destroyed if they threaten the profits of the controlling parties.

That's actually sorta my point, though. It's not happening, because we're not building anywhere near enough housing. The (still inadequate) development of luxury housing feeds the demand at the top, but the total demand still outstrips supply, so overall prices continue to rise.

We can't know exactly how much housing for the folks at the bottom would cost if we had built no luxury housing in the past few years, but my argument is, it'd be even higher. Maybe. Much more importantly, I'm arguing that we need to massively accelerate the rate at which we're building housing, and it doesn't really matter what kind, if we can start building enough to regain ground on the enormous unsatisfied demand that has accumulated since, oh, 1980 or so.

In the meantime, shaking one's fist at the luxury developers is counterproductive. I'm not saying real estate development companies are heroes or anything like that; just that our problem is inadequate supply, and the only solution is to make whatever changes are needed in policy, zoning, public attitude, whatever, to encourage a whole lot more housing construction. As much as we possibly can, and if we don't want to watch our beautiful state get paved over, it needs to mostly be in the form of increased density instead of increased sprawl.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 1, 2015

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Leperflesh posted:

We can't know exactly how much housing for the folks at the bottom would cost if we had built no luxury housing in the past few years, but my argument is, it'd be even higher. Maybe. Much more importantly, I'm arguing that we need to massively accelerate the rate at which we're building housing, and it doesn't really matter what kind, if we can start building enough to regain ground on the enormous unsatisfied demand that has accumulated since, oh, 1980 or so.

Development costs have continued to rise since he published this, but this is a pretty informative look at what it actually costs to build:
http://markasaurus.com/2013/10/22/w...f-for-the-rich/

Basically, we're screwed. It isn't possible with today's construction costs to build something that's both new and affordable. We basically stopped building new housing in our cities once people started taking off for the suburbs decades ago, so there's no formerly upmarket housing filtering downwards. Generational preference shifts and job opportunities have people migrating back into cities. Affordability activists have formed an unholy alliance with homeowners benefitting from Prop13 to fight any effort to add new construction out of the severely misguided belief that developers *could* be building affordable housing but choose not to because they're greedy.

For a clumsy metaphor, we can all agree that for certain budgets it will never make financial sense to buy a new car, but buying a decent used car is totally within reach. The manufacturer will never be able to make a new car that costs less than a used car. Does it make sense to storm the factory and demand that they shut down all production until a "solution" is figured out?

gonger fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 1, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gonger posted:

Development costs have continued to rise since he published this, but this is a pretty informative look at what it actually costs to build:

Basically, we're screwed. It isn't possible with today's construction costs to build something that's both new and affordable. We basically stopped building new housing in our cities once people started taking off for the suburbs decades ago, so there's no formerly upmarket housing filtering downwards. Generational preference shifts and job opportunities have people migrating back into cities. Affordability activists have formed an unholy alliance with homeowners benefitting from Prop13 to fight any effort to add new construction out of the severely misguided belief that developers *could* be building affordable housing but choose not to because they're greedy.

Someone put an unescaped apostrophe in that URL, so it doesn't work. Here's one that does:

The key rebuttal here would be that he's talking about "central" San Francisco itself, the most expensive place in the Bay Area to build. One of the biggest issues with the Bay Area is a lack of cooperation between its cities when it comes to zoning for housing; SF is the most desirable spot, so obviously the most expensive. What we desperately need is to increase density everywhere there's housing within reasonable commute of the job centers... and the job centers are all up and down the peninsula, as well as Oakland and various spots in the East Bay.

The worst-case scenario is pretty bad, as he points out. But we can and should develop higher density along the Caltrain and BART corridors, in Dublin/Pleasanton, in San Jose, in Oakland, etc. While also expanding public transit capacity, such as running BART to San Jose and wrapping it around to Fremont, perhaps adding a new second transbay tunnel or a transbay BART crossing in the south bay, and more.

People enjoying their $700k 1300-square-foot houses in neighborhoods all over the bay area are not interested in having them torn down and replaced with apartment buildings, condos, mixed residential/commercial centers, etc. though. They want their suburban feel in the middle of an urban center, and newcomers be damned. Even if they're wealthy newcomers who would buy luxury apartments and condos.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 1, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gonger posted:

We're only "screwed" so long as the only place people can live is the 230 sq mi. at the top of the SF peninsula.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How vertical is Brooklyn Basin going to be?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I listened to a Forum segment the other day on the Redwood City Saltworks project. Supposedly it is a 25,000 unit housing project on an old industrial site on the bay that has been completely stalled by activists. Not knowing a thing about the project, the developer advocates did not avail themselves well. I came away agreeing with the anti-development side. Is anyone here more informed about the project?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FRINGE posted:

Do you have some kind of mental block? Literally no one in the last few pages has wrung their hands over "the poor real estate developers". I don't care about their plight as it affects them specifically, but stopping them from building more (and specifically more densely) hurts everyone who doesn't already own a house, and especially the poor.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

I listened to a Forum segment the other day on the Redwood City Saltworks project. Supposedly it is a 25,000 unit housing project on an old industrial site on the bay that has been completely stalled by activists. Not knowing a thing about the project, the developer advocates did not avail themselves well. I came away agreeing with the anti-development side. Is anyone here more informed about the project?

Well technically, the proposal for the project was withdrawn years ago because they're having regulation issues. The issue is that Cargill and the developer want EPA to not have jurisdiction over the project, arguing that the salt ponds aren't "waters of the United States" because they're too nasty to be water anymore. If the EPA has jurisdiction, they'll want more of the land cleaned up and returned to marshland.

Meanwhile, Redwood City has decided it wants to focus on core growth and not increase sprawl, especially sprawl that would be heavily highway dependent (as anything on that side of the 101 would have to be). So now the project doesn't fit the city's planning goals either.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

We're only "screwed" so long as the only place people can live is the 230 sq mi. at the top of the SF peninsula.

This is the key I think. The people that want to live in SF proper hold their noses up at Oakland, and none of them would even consider San Jose (even the downtown, urban part of it).

It's like moving to NYC and refusing to even consider living anywhere other than Manhattan.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Family Values posted:

This is the key I think. The people that want to live in SF proper hold their noses up at Oakland, and none of them would even consider San Jose (even the downtown, urban part of it).

It's like moving to NYC and refusing to even consider living anywhere other than Manhattan.

Nyc at least has a decent rail infrastructure to get people to work in Manhattan. Marin and the 650 has nimby'd that to hell.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

gonger posted:

For a clumsy metaphor, we can all agree that for certain budgets it will never make financial sense to buy a new car, but buying a decent used car is totally within reach. The manufacturer will never be able to make a new car that costs less than a used car. Does it make sense to storm the factory and demand that they shut down all production until a "solution" is figured out?

I understand what you're saying here, but the metaphor is indeed quite clumsy because manufacturers can of course build a new affordable compact that costs less than a used luxury sedan. That said, I agree with the stroke of your argument, and that barring some pretty fundamental and perhaps unpalatable changes in land use regulation and municipal involvement in residential housing it is probably the only way forward. Developers don't build rundown apartments, just the way they don't build cars with dents in them and janky engines.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Kaal posted:

I understand what you're saying here, but the metaphor is indeed quite clumsy because manufacturers can of course build a new affordable compact that costs less than a used luxury sedan.
Right, but even those 'affordable' cars are affordable for the middle class, not for poor people. A compact that costs 15k new is a huge stretch if you're making 20k/year (particularly if you don't have good credit, which I'm guessing most poor people don't). It makes way more sense for a poor person to buy a 5k car that's 10 years old and used to be 15k, than to buy a car that can be sold at 5k brand new.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gov. Jerry Brown has introduced new mandatory restrictions aiming for a 25% reduction in water use. None of the enforcement seems to be aimed at agriculture. The only parts of the the bill aimed at Ag are requiring farmers to come up with drought plans.

quote:

Brown ordered the California Water Resources Control Board to implement mandatory restrictions to reduce water usage by 25%. The water savings are expected to amount to 1.5 million acre-feet of water over the next nine months.

Brown's plan would also:

--Require golf courses, cemeteries and other large landscaped spaces to reduce water consumption.

--Replace 50 million square feet of lawn statewide with drought-tolerant landscaping as part of a partnership with local governments.

--Create a statewide rebate program to replace old appliances with more water- and energy-efficient ones.

--Require new homes to have water-efficient drip irrigation if developers want to use potable water for landscaping.

--Ban the watering of ornamental grass on public street medians.

--Call on water agencies to implement new pricing models that discourage excessive water use.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-snowpack-20150331-story.html#page=1

So new homes can't have sprinklers, water boards are encouraged to jack up water rates and grass medians go dry. Central Valley farmers have to draft up some documents

Full document can be found here: http://www.scpr.org/news/2015/04/01/50717/gov-brown-announces-mandatory-statewide-california/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kaal posted:

I understand what you're saying here, but the metaphor is indeed quite clumsy because manufacturers can of course build a new affordable compact that costs less than a used luxury sedan. That said, I agree with the stroke of your argument, and that barring some pretty fundamental and perhaps unpalatable changes in land use regulation and municipal involvement in residential housing it is probably the only way forward. Developers don't build rundown apartments, just the way they don't build cars with dents in them and janky engines.

Actually it's a great analogy. Automakers can only afford to sell inexpensive economy cars if they can make and sell them in huge volume, because the margins are so razor thin. Luxury cars can be profitable in much smaller volume, to the point that supercars costing hundreds of thousands can be built in runs of 200 to 1000 a year, often largely by hand.

Land costs what it costs, labor and materials cost what they cost. You can either create opportunity to develop huge projects for cheap housing (aand that's got big social problems), or you can use govenment to build cheap housing at a loss, (big problems there too), or... you can let developers make profitable low-volume housing in sufficient quantity that the used market addresses the need for cheaper housing. SFis doing the latter, but not enough. Not nearly, remotely enough.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Gov. Jerry Brown has introduced new mandatory restrictions aiming for a 25% reduction in water use. None of the enforcement seems to be aimed at agriculture. The only parts of the the bill aimed at Ag are requiring farmers to come up with drought plans.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-snowpack-20150331-story.html#page=1

So new homes can't have sprinklers, water boards are encouraged to jack up water rates and grass medians go dry. Central Valley farmers have to draft up some documents

Full document can be found here: http://www.scpr.org/news/2015/04/01/50717/gov-brown-announces-mandatory-statewide-california/

Of course, those central valley farmers aren't receiving any water from the Central Valley Project this year or last, but that's only 5 Million acre-feet of water a year.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ron Jeremy posted:

Nyc at least has a decent rail infrastructure to get people to work in Manhattan. Marin and the 650 has nimby'd that to hell.

Not just that, but people moving to NYC basically want to live close to where they work. So do most people living in NYC. We've got a really strange situation in the Bay where people are choosing not to live near their work because they want the city life. It'd be like if the financial industry was based way out on Long Island but they all lived on Manhattan and drove. It would really create a lot of weird pressures everywhere.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The other problem with the Bay Area to NYC comparison is size and size of tax bases. NYC is huge. Also the Bay never merged into one mega-city and that's really what is needed. That or an effective regional government.

However, with as much poo poo as ABAG gets I doubt mega-city is in the future for SF.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Not just that, but people moving to NYC basically want to live close to where they work. So do most people living in NYC. We've got a really strange situation in the Bay where people are choosing not to live near their work because they want the city life. It'd be like if the financial industry was based way out on Long Island but they all lived on Manhattan and drove. It would really create a lot of weird pressures everywhere.

The people that want to live in SF and work in the valley are a recent trend. Most of the people that work in the valley live here, too. And it's not like there isn't a nearby city either, so the Long Island analogy doesn't really work I think. I mean that's exactly what I was saying earlier, people act like the only 'city life' available is in SF.

I'm not opposed to more infrastructure investment, but I would still think commuting 40 miles each way is a huge waste of time and resources even if you're on a train.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

This is really exaggerated by most people in regards to SF though. There are definitely more "reverse commuters" in SF than there used to be, and most of them seem to work in the tech industry, but around 80% of employed SF residents actually work within SF city limits. Not to mention It's the largest single job center in the Bay Area, and draws around 200,000 commuters into it every weekday (compared to Oakland drawing 40,000 per day and San Jose actually losing 5% of it's population to suburban job centers). Downtown SF has like four times as much office space as Downtown Oakland and downtown San Jose combined.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Small world syndrome is "finally real" because now theres numbers.

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=11170

quote:

Secondhand smog: Scientists determine amount of ozone pollution drifting to California from overseas

Approximately 10 percent of ozone pollution in California’s San Joaquin Valley is estimated to be coming from outside of the state’s borders, particularly from Asia, according to preliminary research presented today, March 31, by the University of California, Davis.

Secondhand smog from Asia and other international sources is finding its way into one of the nation’s most polluted air basins, the San Joaquin Valley. UC Davis atmospheric scientist Ian Faloona shared his research with air quality regulators and scientists today at a transboundary pollution conference near Yosemite National Park. The issue serves as an example of how air quality is a global — not just local — problem.

Up in the air

When someone smokes a cigarette next to you, you know that secondhand smoke is harmful to your lungs, even though you aren’t the smoker. But what about when your neighbor is thousands of miles away, and the pollution they are emitting is from an industrial plant, millions of cars, or a raging wildfire?

Scientists have long known that a portion of ozone pollution was coming from overseas, but attempts to quantify just how much were hamstrung by coarse computer models that overlooked or broadly simplified California’s complex terrain.

Faloona describes California as if it were a human body: The Golden Gate bridge is the mouth, breathing in air from across the Pacific Ocean, sucking it through the throat of the Bay Area and into the lungs of the San Joaquin Valley. Previously unknown is how much air comes over the coastal mountain range and mixes from above into the bathtub of the San Joaquin Valley.

UC Davis researchers have spent the past three years trying to measure that contribution from a mountaintop air quality monitoring station near California’s Point Sur. They’ve also gathered it from a plane equipped with scientific instruments that measure air pollutant levels — a flying air monitoring station of sorts. The combined data has allowed them to analyze the “signature” of the sources and quantify how much of the valley’s ozone pollution is locally produced, and how much is drifting across from international sources.
Every little bit counts

The research comes as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has proposed tightening ozone limits from 75 parts per billion to between 65 ppb and 70 ppb, later this year. (A final rule is due Oct. 1.) In the San Joaquin Valley, which includes the cities of Fresno, Stockton and Bakersfield, asthma rates are roughly twice that of the rest of the state. Such a change by the EPA is expected to push much of the valley further out of compliance.

Industry will fight back.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sure, but finance in NYC = tech in SF. Most people in NYC don't work in finance. But it has a huge impact on the city and how it is structured. Kebab vendors aren't a driving force when it comes to the upward trend in housing prices.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As an aside, SF is a financial center, too.

See page three of this PDF report from Bay Area Council Economic Institute (warning: direct link to a PDF).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Totally, so what?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
The ultimate problem is there is no real solution to a bunch of people wanting to live in one particular area. Poor people simply are hosed, there's no known way to create "affordable" housing in areas that have great demand and the salaries to back it up. Like lord knows it has been tried everywhere and has failed literally every time because it doesn't matter what you do, loopholes will be found or made. Increasing density will alleviate it somewhat but at the end of the day it will never be affordable in the sense some people are thinking- you will still need to be solidly middle class if you want to live comfortably in high-demand areas.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, shoot me now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/us/california-imposes-first-ever-water-restrictions-to-deal-with-drought.html

New York Times posted:

Within hours of Mr. Brown’s announcement, Representative Kevin McCarthy, the California Republican who is the House majority leader, announced plans to renew efforts in Congress to pass legislation requiring the building of two huge water facilities in the state. The efforts had been blocked by Democrats concerned that the water projects would harm the environment and damage endangered species of fish.

“The current drought in California is devastating,” Mr. McCarthy said. “Today’s order from the governor should not only alarm Californians, but the entire nation should take notice that the most productive agriculture state in the country has entered uncharted territory.”

“I’m from the Central Valley, and we know that we cannot conserve or ration our way out of this drought,” he said.

I'm from one of the most prolific water-wasters in the state, and God knows we can't be bothered to do anything about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tsa posted:

The ultimate problem is there is no real solution to a bunch of people wanting to live in one particular area. Poor people simply are hosed, there's no known way to create "affordable" housing in areas that have great demand and the salaries to back it up. Like lord knows it has been tried everywhere and has failed literally every time because it doesn't matter what you do, loopholes will be found or made. Increasing density will alleviate it somewhat but at the end of the day it will never be affordable in the sense some people are thinking- you will still need to be solidly middle class if you want to live comfortably in high-demand areas.

People living in one area isn't the problem, it's the rate of migration. A large but stable population would only have issues with housing when the buildings reach their natural lifespan.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, shoot me now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/us/california-imposes-first-ever-water-restrictions-to-deal-with-drought.html

I'm from one of the most prolific water-wasters in the state, and God knows we can't be bothered to do anything about it.

In the middle of a drought we'll build water facilities.. which will never be filled or use, because when we're not in a drought we use all the water we can so we can export cash crops. Hell, people still talk about how we're not building any more reservoirs.. ignoring that storage isn't the problem, it's the overall use over time (and we've already built all the dams that would be useful to build for capturing water).

Maybe they got confused by field of dreams.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At least he's not arguing we should stop allocating water to natural flows, which was long considered a waste.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
"I’m from the Central Valley, and we know that we cannot conserve or ration our way out of this drought,” he said. "

As someone kind of from the central valley, please stop being a loving stereotype.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Until a lot more changes, that will not work in LA.

It's gotten pretty good, at least on the Westside and Downtown.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
At least the Freeper types who write the newspapers every day have started including "desalinization" plants along with their usual demands for just more "reservoirs" being built and stopping any water from entering the pacific ocean. The preferred name for "reservoirs" is now "storage."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

At least the Freeper types who write the newspapers every day have started including "desalinization" plants along with their usual demands for just more "reservoirs" being built and stopping any water from entering the pacific ocean. The preferred name for "reservoirs" is now "storage."

Desalination is not a realistic option for solving the California water problem. They're an incredibly expensive and have huge waste issues. It would be cheaper to just subsidize the pressurizers and sand filters that Ag users need to switch to drop irrigation instead.

Or heck, if you want to throw money at the problem, I'd suggest covering the ditches that transport most of our water. Fewer dead deer in the LA water supply as a nice bonus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Well the state is already throwing money at the problem via desalination plants - the Carlsbad facility is scheduled to begin operation next year: