Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nice Ser Pounce cosplay, RETARD. He's supposed to be a long hair mackerel tabby.

But also for real that's super cool. How did you get your cat to sit on something that you made for him?

Aw man, I didn't think about Ser Pounce :(

Also there's like 12 pictures where he's not posing gracefully. But I sprinkled a little bit of :catdrugs: onto it so he was interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if Littlefinger will manipulate the tournament to get Harry onto Robin's guard and give Harry the opportunity to off him.

Obviously Robin could just seize up and croak one day from poison and no one would suspect he was murdered, but if Littlefinger/Alayne can put themselves in position catch Harry doing him in, they can completely control Harry under the threat of exposing him as a killer.

That'd be too suspicious. Putting the guy who stands to inherit a Kingdom from some sickly kid on said kid's version of the Kingsguard and then having him mysteriously die would immediately have everyone pointing fingers at Harry, which could potentially derail Littlefinger's plans entirely.

Mouse Dresser posted:

I made a thing.

All hail Buddy Stormborn of House Tarkittyean, the first of his name, The Unburnt, King of Apartmentos, King of the lovely Cat and the Humans and the litter box, Kitteesi of the Great Bed Sea, Breaker of Cat Food Cans, and brother of dragons.

Buddy's a weird name for a cat.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Barreft posted:

This chapter was cut from ADWD, it's at least 5 years old. Fat gently caress still ain't writin.

e: same with the Mercy chapter.

Any preview chapters are gonna be old and from very early in Winds. He's not gonna drop a chapter from the middle of the book.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Mouse Dresser posted:

I made a thing.

All hail Buddy Stormborn of House Tarkittyean, the first of his name, The Unburnt, King of Apartmentos, King of the lovely Cat and the Humans and the litter box, Kitteesi of the Great Bed Sea, Breaker of Cat Food Cans, and brother of dragons.
Aww. Tweet it to @HBO or something, maybe your cat will get famous. He certainly deserves it! I love orange cats.

(Don't call your presumably male cat 'kitteesi' while at that. 'Kitty of the Great Bed' is perfectly fine.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Kat seems like the closest you could get to Khal and still keep the pun.

Kat Drogo. That works.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Kat Drogo. That works.
For that matter, 'King of the lovely Cat'?

All hail Buddy Stormborn of House Tarkitty, First of His Name, The Uncut, King of the Apartment, King of the Yard Cats and the Neighbour Humans and the Litter Box, Kat of the Great Bed Sea, Breaker of Cat Food Cans, and Brother to Dragons.

...there. I'm assuming he is Uncut as opposed to Unsullied here.

My own cat is called Ministupidity, though. I'm not good with cat names.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if Littlefinger will manipulate the tournament to get Harry onto Robin's guard and give Harry the opportunity to off him.

Obviously Robin could just seize up and croak one day from poison and no one would suspect he was murdered, but if Littlefinger/Alayne can put themselves in position catch Harry doing him in, they can completely control Harry under the threat of exposing him as a killer.

This would be interesting but once they reveal Sansa's real identity the entire country will be hers to control. They're all champing at the bit to gently caress someone up and having a Stark in their midst, married to their heir, is definitely going to get them going.

She can make Blackfish her general once he reappears.

He's going to reappear, right guys...right? :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

meristem posted:

All hail Buddy Stormborn of House Tarkitty, First of His Name, The Uncut, King of the Apartment, King of the Yard Cats and the Neighbour Humans and the Litter Box, Kat of the Great Bed Sea, Breaker of Cat Food Cans, and Brother to Dragons.

You're overthinking this. There's only one name that works here. Only Cat.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This would be interesting but once they reveal Sansa's real identity the entire country will be hers to control. They're all champing at the bit to gently caress someone up and having a Stark in their midst, married to their heir, is definitely going to get them going.

She can make Blackfish her general once he reappears.

The Blackfish showing up as a mystery knight at this tournament would be awesome.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yes, riding a dragon

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

CapnAndy posted:

Kat Drogo. That works.

Khat Drogo.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That theory about Dany growing up in Dorne because there can't be lemon trees in Braavos is ridiculous. There are a million places on Earth that have different climates and vegetation, despite being on the same latitude (and vice-versa).

I like that preview chapter, though there's absolutely zero way Littlefinger's plan works out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

That theory about Dany growing up in Dorne because there can't be lemon trees in Braavos is ridiculous. There are a million places on Earth that have different climates and vegetation, despite being on the same latitude (and vice-versa).

I like that preview chapter, though there's absolutely zero way Littlefinger's plan works out.

What is his plan? Alayne marries Harry and then Robin dies and then he controls the Vale. Which is cool I guess. Is that it though?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And then they reveal Alayne's identity as Sansa Stark, and the knights of the Vale march to take back Winterfell.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

And then they reveal Alayne's identity as Sansa Stark, and the knights of the Vale march to take back Winterfell.

Doesn't her being married to Tyrion mean she can't reveal her identity?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

PostNouveau posted:

Doesn't her being married to Tyrion mean she can't reveal her identity?

You mean the monster who may or may not be dead, who committed patricide, and regicide, who Sansa was forced to marry out of duress following the unfair execution of Lord Eddard Stark?

I think most people in the Vale would be more than willing to overlook her marriage to the Imp.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Nihonniboku posted:

You mean the monster who may or may not be dead, who committed patricide, and regicide, who Sansa was forced to marry out of duress following the unfair execution of Lord Eddard Stark?

I think most people in the Vale would be more than willing to overlook her marriage to the Imp.

Not to mention the fact that it was never consummated.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

PostNouveau posted:

What is his plan? Alayne marries Harry and then Robin dies and then he controls the Vale. Which is cool I guess. Is that it though?

Yeah that's his plan. It's not going to work for the meta-reason that nobody ever explains a plan to the audience and then successfully carries it out

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

webmeister posted:

Yeah that's his plan. It's not going to work for the meta-reason that nobody ever explains a plan to the audience and then successfully carries it out

I actual think LF's plans will work for the most part. He will get all the way to the throne before he gets killed by his own plans. I assume GRRM will dangle the sweet fruit of success in front of his face.

Varys OTOH, I think will survive the saga because he is not really a player in the game of throne. I believed him when he told Ned he only worked for the realm.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I still think there is some aspect of LF's plan that we do not know about. I do believe he'll ultimately fail however and Lady Stoneheart is a likely candidate for causing that failure.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

webmeister posted:

I'm not really sure how this particular plan could have been carried out without explaining it to the audience. Sansa's all "Man, Littlefinger really wants me to marry this one dude for some reason, what is the deal" and then he kills Sweetrobin and there's the reveal that this guy just happened to be the heir to the Vale? That'd come off as super deus-ex-machina.

(yeah though I doubt it'll go off perfectly with no complications at least)

e: Also I know ASOIAF is pretty Crusader-Kings in general but it strikes me that Littlefinger's Vale plan in particular is the most Crusader-Kings thing ever

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 3, 2015

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

The thing about LF's current plans as we know them is they don't take the presence of Dany into account at all, which seems like a major oversight for someone so adept at the game.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Thing is, as of this chapter, LF's plan, as presented, makes very little sense. First, Harry is not an idiot. If LF kills SR for him, he'll say "hey, thanks", remove LF and rule himself. On the contrary, the surprisingly unsickly SR would make the perfect pawn until he grew up.

Something is going to happen at that tournament, though. That said, if the insane shippers are right, and the Hound shows up, I hope he gets killed in the first round, just for the indignity.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Littlefinger's biggest weakness is his failure to take into account the fantasy components of his universe. I expect his downfall will be caused by a combination of White Walkers, dragons, Lady Stoneheart, and the Curse of Harrenhal.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

meristem posted:

I have 2 cats, that one in the picture is Buddy Cat, and he has a terrible sister named lovely Cat. But I like the update (I just copied what I wrote on Facebook).

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

Littlefinger's biggest weakness is his failure to take into account the fantasy components of his universe. I expect his downfall will be caused by a combination of White Walkers, dragons, Lady Stoneheart, Mermen, and the Curse of Harrenhal.

Fixed that for you.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

meristem posted:

Thing is, as of this chapter, LF's plan, as presented, makes very little sense. First, Harry is not an idiot. If LF kills SR for him, he'll say "hey, thanks", remove LF and rule himself. On the contrary, the surprisingly unsickly SR would make the perfect pawn until he grew up.

Something is going to happen at that tournament, though. That said, if the insane shippers are right, and the Hound shows up, I hope he gets killed in the first round, just for the indignity.

But is Littlefinger's plan really to "rule" the Vale? I don't see how that could possibly ever happen. He's just a dude who was married to a Tully for a few days. Of course, if his plan goes through, he'll be "removed" as Lord Protector.

The problem with the situation in the Vale as it now stands is that the Lords Declarant won't stand for the status-quo. Littlefinger has very little leverage at this point, he has the current heir in his possession but it doesn't mean much because everybody thinks he's going to die soon anyway, and there's definitely a feeling that a lot of people would rather have Harry as their Lord than Sweetrobin.

So what is Littlefinger's plan, long term? I don't think we really know at this point.

PostNouveau posted:

That isn't his whole plan, it can't be, because he has no true leverage in that situation. If his plan as we know it goes perfectly and a newly revealed Sansa Stark is married to Harry Harding, neither of them have any reason to listen to Littlefinger after they get married. He's a nobody in the Vale and has very few friends there, and in the North it's probably even worse.

In It For The Tank posted:

The Mercy chapter is like 15 years old. It was originally planned to be Arya's first chapter after the five year time skip. it's gone through a bunch of revisions since then, but it is hella old.

Yeah, it's hard to tell when chapters were written. Especially in the case of TWoW, I expect, because there are probably even more "post-time skip" chapters in that book that have been tweaked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Vale lords would sure as hell be fine with knowing Sansa is there. The daughter of a man who they all respect, a blood relative to the late lady of the vale, married to a man they were fiercely loyal too, possibly involved with killing a king that they all hated and saw as illegitimate anyways. They'd sit there behind the bloody gate and tell Cersei to gently caress off and the Lannisters have abused the poor girl for the last time.

What's Cersei going to do? No one listens to her. Her family has pretty much abandoned her, the Tyrells don't care and no one else does. Roose would but again, what would he do?

Something I do see happening is the Iron Islands being scoured. Crows-Eye is just trying to piss everyone off and he sent their best defense, the Iron Fleet to go get roasted by Dragons in Slavers Bay. He'll attack Highgarden which will no doubt case the Tyrells to pull every single soldier down to the last half blind whore from the Riverlands and Crownlands to go and stomp the Iron Islanders into dust.

Asha warned them but they were too taken with Euron's promise of returning to the old ways of ruling the whole of Westeros.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The Meerneese blot guy posted his impressions of the first four episode screeners on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/31a2k4/spoilers_all_my_advance_review_of_season_5/

Brief summary:
* Jon's plot seems to be the best handled overall.
* Dany doesn't do a heck of a lot, at least not in the first four episodes
* KL plotline has been "overhauled" significantly. In keeping with the trend of past seasons, Cersei isn't quite as insane and evil and Margaery is a much more obvious player.
* The Tourney at Harrenhall gets discussed (probably Littlefinger telling Sansa about it).

quote:

But it is another plotline that will surely be the most controversial of the season. The show has an uphill battle to justify an invented plot point that 99% of book readers are predisposed to think is truly insane. Do they succeed? Well, they gamely try, and they make use of some existing divergences in show continuity to present their case. Yet it seems clear to me that what happened in this plotline is that D&D considered some characters’ AFFC/ADWD plotlines weak and filled with unmemorable supporting casts, so they decided to spice things up by just shoving them together, with the justifications being tacked on afterwards. This lets some great characters and actors share scenes together, yet the feeling lingers that this is kinda dumb and forced. We will see if the later-season payoff justifies it.

This has to be either Winterfell or Dorne, but I'm not sure which.

EW also has a not very informative review up: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/02/game-thrones-ew-review

My favourite part:

quote:

But too many of the new faces look like they’re on the wrong show. When Cersei enlists a religious leader, the High Sparrow (Jonathan Pryce), to help her politically, his bald devotees, who carve stars into their foreheads, resemble cult figures from a Kevin Williamson drama. And when the show introduces Oberyn’s revenge-thirsty daughters (Keisha Castle-Hughes, Rosabell Laurenti Sellers, Jessica Henwick), they’re closer to B-movie bad girls than warriors. George R.R. Martin’s characters are always psychologically compelling, but as they say on Project Runway, the styling needs work.
:black101: That sounds even cheesier than the cannibal Thenns.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
LF may seem god tier at the Game but it's mostly because almost everyone else is loving retarded, pretty much the only ones who see LF for what he is are Varys and Sansa, even in AGOT the first time she ever sees him she realizes he's shady as gently caress but everyone else from Cat to Tywin seems to think he is seriously great and reliable for the realm. LF mostly relies on dumb luck and dumb people.

Honestly, Ned trusted the guy who goes around boasting about how he boned his wife and is currently creeping around his daughter.

colonel_korn posted:

:black101: That sounds even cheesier than the cannibal Thenns.

That's pretty drat cool considering the faith militant actually did that way back early in the Targ years. D&D are awesome at little details like that.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 3, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

colonel_korn posted:

* Dany doesn't do a heck of a lot
Good to see them staying true to the books.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I hope they portray the High Sparrow as the huge oval office he is, I heard one of his septas is really horrible so that's pretty hopeful. I hate Cersei but ADWD has me rooting for her to gently caress him up big time.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

twistedmentat posted:

The Vale lords would sure as hell be fine with knowing Sansa is there. The daughter of a man who they all respect, a blood relative to the late lady of the vale, married to a man they were fiercely loyal too, possibly involved with killing a king that they all hated and saw as illegitimate anyways. They'd sit there behind the bloody gate and tell Cersei to gently caress off and the Lannisters have abused the poor girl for the last time.

What's Cersei going to do? No one listens to her. Her family has pretty much abandoned her, the Tyrells don't care and no one else does. Roose would but again, what would he do?

Something I do see happening is the Iron Islands being scoured. Crows-Eye is just trying to piss everyone off and he sent their best defense, the Iron Fleet to go get roasted by Dragons in Slavers Bay. He'll attack Highgarden which will no doubt case the Tyrells to pull every single soldier down to the last half blind whore from the Riverlands and Crownlands to go and stomp the Iron Islanders into dust.

Asha warned them but they were too taken with Euron's promise of returning to the old ways of ruling the whole of Westeros.

Highgarden? I always thought they would make straight for Casterly Rock, considering it is practically undefended as of now. The Tyrells bail out the Lannisters, of course, as you say, but now the Lannisters owe the Tyrells even more. Especially when they find out the gold mines are empty. I don't expect Tommen to die, either...for some reason, dramatically, i expect him to actually become a competent ruler and superior warrior, and try to make up for the sins of his family's past, as best as he is able.

BillBear posted:

LF may seem god tier at the Game but it's mostly because almost everyone else is loving retarded, pretty much the only ones who see LF for what he is are Varys and Sansa, even in AGOT the first time she ever sees him she realizes he's shady as gently caress but everyone else from Cat to Tywin seems to think he is seriously great and reliable for the realm. LF mostly relies on dumb luck and dumb people.

I believe LF is godly at the Game because he has ZERO to lose; he has no ancestral home, family, or subjects to give a poo poo about. It also helps that everyone is kinda retarded, but LF can make as many, and any, moves that he needs to because, for the most part, his weapons and soldiers are words and gold.

Darth Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 3, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Mischitary posted:

But is Littlefinger's plan really to "rule" the Vale? I don't see how that could possibly ever happen. He's just a dude who was married to a Tully for a few days. Of course, if his plan goes through, he'll be "removed" as Lord Protector.
[...]
That isn't his whole plan, it can't be, because he has no true leverage in that situation. If his plan as we know it goes perfectly and a newly revealed Sansa Stark is married to Harry Harding, neither of them have any reason to listen to Littlefinger after they get married. He's a nobody in the Vale and has very few friends there, and in the North it's probably even worse.
See, to me, the plan would have made sense if Harry had been someone like Robert Baratheon 2.0., essentially concerned mainly with living the good life and loving. Sansa wouldn't be able to rule the Vale (and possibly the North/the Riverlands) alone. Enter Littlefinger.

That's why it's only with this chapter that I started to have the problem. Because it seems that Harry - is - interested in ruling.

It's all a moot point, anyway, since Ramsay is the show Harry, which means that Showfinger's plan is probably to reveal Sansa as a Stark during her wedding and call on the Northerners to murder the Boltons. Only, hey, that can't really happen, either.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
also posted this in the book barn"

from http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/0...xchange_article

quote:

George R. R. Martin hopes to finish the next "Game of Thrones" book before Season 6 of the HBO series airs next year. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the author revealed his plans to complete The Winds of Winter, and said he is considering a new twist that will shock readers.

"This is going to drive your readers crazy," he said. "But I love it. I'm still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It's a great twist."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Varys merman theory confirmed

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The shocking twist is that Rhaenys is alive too, and is leading an army to attack Westeros.

And then Dream will feature the shocking twist that Rhaegar is alive and is leading an army to attack Westeros.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 3, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I picture GRMM as Chris Farley from Billy Madison.

"I'll turn this drat story around. That'll end your precious little tv show pretty drat quick, huh?! Little shits!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol he's gonna change the ending just to make it different from the one he told HBO. I hope this ends up resulting in a giant lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Releasing a book will be a big enough shocking twist.

• Locked thread