Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Maybe thats the wrong way to put it. I guess I wanted to see more of him? They used too deft a hand in regards to him? I don't know, I'm having trouble articulating what I wanted and disliked. No matter what, the way he is used in hotline 2 isn't satisfying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I kind of have to wonder why they didn't just make the soldier Jacket instead of Beard, I can't think of what was gained by having you play as Beard. They could've thrown in some crazy hallucinations or whatever as you progress to show Jacket's mind gradually unhinging.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

I kind of have to wonder why they didn't just make the soldier Jacket instead of Beard, I can't think of what was gained by having you play as Beard. They could've thrown in some crazy hallucinations or whatever as you progress to show Jacket's mind gradually unhinging.

Jacket already had his own entire game and besides, he's in the same unit as Beard. He's the blonde solider that Beard carries out of the power plant.

Most of the game is spent on how Jacket's actions effected people anyway. The devs even said that the Fans represent people who want the sequel to be the same as the first game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think having you play as Beard was a good decision. We already knew a fair amount about Jacket but we didn't really understand why he kept hallucinating about this random guy. Doing it this way emphasizes that Jacket spent HM1 stuck in the past, and that he may not understand the difference between his missions on Hawaii and his rampages in Miami.

I liked a lot of the ideas in the HM2 story but it ultimately was too disjointed to really follow. The movie star and detective storylines in particular seemed fairly irrelevant and cuttable, but I liked the way the rest of it fit together.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I liked a lot of the ideas in the HM2 story but it ultimately was too disjointed to really follow. The movie star and detective storylines in particular seemed fairly irrelevant and cuttable, but I liked the way the rest of it fit together.
I too love that handsome movie star Detective Pardo, but why did you mention him twice?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Anatharon posted:

Of all the complaints about HLM2 I don't think not explaining what was up with Jacket is an accurate one.

Even if his story has ended, I really would've loved more Jacket screen time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6smzhTGI0VM

:^)

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 3, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Just one day too late, but still good.

e: Wait what where the heck did this post go?? :spooky:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Geight posted:

Just one day too late, but still good.

e: Wait what where the heck did this post go?? :spooky:

gently caress, the thumbnail wasn't loaded in properly yet, so I removed it one second too late ! Gonna put it back where it belongs.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

The devs even said that the Fans represent people who want the sequel to be the same as the first game.

I see this quoted a lot but I've never seen a source, where did they say this?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Maybe thats the wrong way to put it. I guess I wanted to see more of him? They used too deft a hand in regards to him? I don't know, I'm having trouble articulating what I wanted and disliked. No matter what, the way he is used in hotline 2 isn't satisfying to me.

HM2 acts like Jacket was some kind of action hero instead of a depraved psycho.

Which is ironic, because that means the game itself takes the same position as the fans.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Pirate Jet posted:

Which is ironic, because that means the game itself takes the same position as the fans.

I don't really think so, the only scene where we see present Jacket is his trial, and it doesn't reveal much. His past as a soldier doesn't make him less hosed up imo, even if his killing spree was revealed to be a revenge fueled mission.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I don't really like how they explained Jacket's backstory at all. In HM1, he comes off as just some guy who's likely out of his mind, and really good at killing people. While those things are still true, I feel that HM2 makes him... sympathetic? Now that he's a soldier depressed about the loss of his friend, he comes off as someone suffering PTSD, which makes his actions in HM1 too real. It just feels depressing and a little uncomfortable. No longer is Jacket some crazy killer, but a war hero suffering serious mental issues.

Which in turn retroactively sours the "it's just a game, didn't you have fun?" outlook HM1 had.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Ledgy posted:

I don't really think so, the only scene where we see present Jacket is his trial, and it doesn't reveal much. His past as a soldier doesn't make him less hosed up imo, even if his killing spree was revealed to be a revenge fueled mission.

Yeah, it doesn't really dwell on whether or not Jacket's actions were heroic or anything, so I never really got much of an action hero vibe from him. More ptsd sufferer than anything else.

Now, Richter, Evan and Beard? Them's some real action heroes.
Really, at the end of the day, the only real hero here is Detective Pardo. Goddamn, what an amazing man. :allears:

Butt Ghost posted:

Which in turn retroactively sours the "it's just a game, didn't you have fun?" outlook HM1 had.

I like Jacket's backstory in terms of like, overarching plot between the two games, because it really is a nice tight way to explain his story, but yeah, it doesn't quite mesh with that whole theme in the first game.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
...so if Jacket was a model employee for 50B with nothing but hatred and contempt for the rooskies and a devotion to 50B during his time in the war...

Why did the janitors have him get shot by Richter?!

#askquestions :tinfoil:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

He failed to stop the Biker and was in the same room as a computer with super volatile 50 Blessings information. When you have a security risk like that, what's one masked maniac among dozens?

I also just realized that the cheery pretense of the 50B phone handlers is based on Ghost Wolves radio code.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Probably since rescuing the woman was having a positive effect on his life. You could see things getting tidier and nicer and it wouldn't be surprising if Jacket would want to stop completely.

50B putting a bullet in his lady and then him covered all the bases. Richter would carry on killing Russians out of fear or get arrested, Jacket would either be out of the game completely, or he'd come back so broken that he'd have nothing left to do but follow the phonecalls.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skunkrocker posted:

...so if Jacket was a model employee for 50B with nothing but hatred and contempt for the rooskies and a devotion to 50B during his time in the war...

Why did the janitors have him get shot by Richter?!

#askquestions :tinfoil:

They didn't- this was already discussed a number of pages ago. Jacket lost the fight with Biker, and the subsequent missions didn't happen or actually happened earlier. Everything up to Trauma is a coma dream and subject to the problems of an unreliable narrator. Richter shot the girl because she was a loose end.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Jacket already had his own entire game and besides, he's in the same unit as Beard. He's the blonde solider that Beard carries out of the power plant.

I know, that's like... the entire point of what I said. You could've just swapped their places.

Pirate Jet posted:

Not really though, the game seems to be basing Jacket's character off of any number of characters in 70's era exploitation movies who went to Vietnam and then came home as deranged killers. The war hosed him up, so he is in fact a depraved psycho. He's just a depraved psycho with a military backstory instead of a guy doing it solely for kicks.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 3, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

They didn't- this was already discussed a number of pages ago. Jacket lost the fight with Biker, and the subsequent missions didn't happen or actually happened earlier. Everything up to Trauma is a coma dream and subject to the problems of an unreliable narrator. Richter shot the girl because she was a loose end.

I still completely disagree with this theory, as Biker has the injury from his fight with Jacket that he only gets if Jacket wins. Everything still happened after that fight, but not as trippy and insane of course. And they had him shot both because he failed to kill Biker and he saved the girl.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheJoker138 posted:

I still completely disagree with this theory, as Biker has the injury from his fight with Jacket that he only gets if Jacket wins. Everything still happened after that fight, but not as trippy and insane of course. And they had him shot both because he failed to kill Biker and he saved the girl.

Unless I'm misremembering you smack him a few times over the course of the fight, it could just be from that instead.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not like you don't smack him a few times over the course of the fight, it could just be from that instead.

Actually the only way Biker wins is if he kills Jacket before he can reach the golf club! :eng101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Geight posted:

Actually the only way Biker wins is if he kills Jacket before he can reach the golf club! :eng101:

Oh I am misremembering how it goes then. Or just thinking of it from Jacket's POV!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Biker's scenario ends after his fight with Jacket. I do believe that both endings are canon but one could argue that Biker saying "I got close but couldn't figure it all out" was basically "some loving loon in a rooster mask beat me with an inch of my life before I got the chance to figure it all out" and the rest of the game is just a "what if?" scenario.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

What's hard to understand about "Jacket gets his rear end handed to him by biker, goes to the hospital, while on his hospital bed he imagines that he killed Biker when he really didn't"? He might have hit Biker once or twice, maybe, but he lost that fight.

Skunkrocker posted:

Biker's scenario ends after his fight with Jacket. I do believe that both endings are canon but one could argue that Biker saying "I got close but couldn't figure it all out" was basically "some loving loon in a rooster mask beat me with an inch of my life before I got the chance to figure it all out" and the rest of the game is just a "what if?" scenario.

I think that was more like "I got close to figuring it all out but the only leads I had were two janitors who played mind games with me, and I killed them before I found out who they really worked for".

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It's pretty stupid that people are arguing endlessly about some definitive, canon ending, when the game's a drug-fueled fever dream experienced by an unreliable narrator and the over-arching story's left deliberately ambiguous and open to interpretation save for the one thematic constant that it's a game about hurting people. Sure, the post-biker stuff could well be Jacket's coma dream. Sure, the biker's levels could be the way things really went. Or the game could diverge into two alternative timelines existing simultaneously in parallel universes. Does it really matter? Even in-story it arguably doesn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

scamtank posted:

I also just realized that the cheery pretense of the 50B phone handlers is based on Ghost Wolves radio code.

Say what now?

King Vidiot posted:

What's hard to understand about "Jacket gets his rear end handed to him by biker, goes to the hospital, while on his hospital bed he imagines that he killed Biker when he really didn't"? He might have hit Biker once or twice, maybe, but he lost that fight.

Yeah this is definitely canon; Biker beat Jacket and Jacket imagined the other scenario while he was unconscious in the hospital pre-Trauma.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Say what now?

He's talking about when Beard gets on the radio and says things like "I'm done weeding out the garden, have our party guests arrived?"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

They even use fake addresses when they're on the radio, it's really obvious to anyone paying attention. :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Say what now?

Yeah this is definitely canon; Biker beat Jacket and Jacket imagined the other scenario while he was unconscious in the hospital pre-Trauma.

He lost the fight but survived and continued killing, leading to Richter shooting him. All of it happened.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If Jacket imagined Richter shooting him then there would be no reason for Richter to be in jail and no reason for Jacket to raid the police station looking for answers and interrogate him.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So Richter was in jail twice?

Once when Jacket went on his rampage, then when he was in the riot?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mesadoram posted:

So Richter was in jail twice?

Once when Jacket went on his rampage, then when he was in the riot?

He got moved to a bigger correctional facility after Jacket's assault as opposed to just being in a police station holding cell for the duration of his prison sentence.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Sort of makes sense, he could have just left after Jacket killed every loving person in there though...

Edit: Or Richter was just tired of running.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skunkrocker posted:

He's talking about when Beard gets on the radio and says things like "I'm done weeding out the garden, have our party guests arrived?"

Ahh, yeah. I just didn't know what you were talking about, I was thinking it was some radio thing outside the game. But the stuff the soldiers said definitely had that feel to it.

Just one more thing that lets you know the General / Soldiers set it all up.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mesadoram posted:

Sort of makes sense, he could have just left after Jacket killed every loving person in there though...

Or Jacket never let him out so he was just stuck in a jail cell until back up arrived.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JAssassin posted:

Or Jacket never let him out so he was just stuck in a jail cell until back up arrived.

*Jacket opens the door, covered from head to toe in blood*
Jacket: ...
Richter: Sup
*Jacket closes the door and runs off*
Richter: Ok...

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mesadoram posted:

*Jacket opens the door, covered from head to toe in blood*
Jacket: ...
Richter: Sup
*Jacket closes the door and runs off*
Richter: Ok...

I mean, he could have beat the poo poo out of him and relocked the door on the way out. We're never going to know exactly what happened, just that they both walked away from it, and Richter ended up in a state/federal prison.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JAssassin posted:

I mean, he could have beat the poo poo out of him and relocked the door on the way out. We're never going to know exactly what happened, just that they both walked away from it, and Richter ended up in a state/federal prison.

In the grand scheme of things them both walking away is the more important part. How it happened is just flavor.

I got this urge to play HLM1 now...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TomViolence posted:

Sure, the post-biker stuff could well be Jacket's coma dream.

Why would anyone think this, or did you mean pre Biker stuff? Biker's POV is what actually happened. Everything that occurs with Jacket starting with Trauma actually happened. And most of what happens pre-Trauma also happened, but with some details that could not have possibly happened, like Jacket seeing his dead army buddy serving him at every establishment he goes to, or other people he's killed showing up in random places all mangled-up and taunting him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheJoker138 posted:

He lost the fight but survived and continued killing, leading to Richter shooting him. All of it happened.

King Vidiot posted:

Why would anyone think this, or did you mean pre Biker stuff? Biker's POV is what actually happened. Everything that occurs with Jacket starting with Trauma actually happened. And most of what happens pre-Trauma also happened, but with some details that could not have possibly happened, like Jacket seeing his dead army buddy serving him at every establishment he goes to, or other people he's killed showing up in random places all mangled-up and taunting him.

Crucially, all the major hallucinations start immediately after the fight with Biker, when Beard explicitly tells him "All of this, this isn't really happening", points to the Biker's writhing corpse and says "see that? That's not really there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Crucially, all the major hallucinations start immediately after the fight with Biker, when Beard explicitly tells him "All of this, this isn't really happening", points to the Biker's writhing corpse and says "see that? That's not really there".

I guess the pizzaria, bar, and video rental store are just run by triplets.

• Locked thread