Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

mabels big day posted:

What is everyone's wishlist for buffs on their favorite characters in the upcoming patch? I want bowser's down air to have armor, and fire breath to have less lag. And I want Ike to snap the ledge even when he uses aether facing the other way.

Bring back L-cancelling and moonwalking, but only for falcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

whalestory posted:

Bring back L-cancelling and moonwalking, but only for falcon

Fair enough.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm not a high level player but i'd like to see Jigglypuff's Sing be more effective. Players can often roll, attack, and move right through it in ways that seem insane and unfair. I've had players roll into me while I'm singing, making physical contact, and then somehow roll back out. Jigglypuff is so lightweight and Sing leaves her vulnerable for soooo long that the risk just seems too high.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I haven't followed the the smash competitive scene too much since the new one came out due to school and whatnot, but a friend told me the other day that Palutena is banned from competition. Is that true, and if so, how come? I have no plans on competing, but I'm curious.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

shyduck posted:

I haven't followed the the smash competitive scene too much since the new one came out due to school and whatnot, but a friend told me the other day that Palutena is banned from competition. Is that true, and if so, how come? I have no plans on competing, but I'm curious.

your friend is completely full of poo poo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Nerf defensive play so Shulk's insanely slow moves are better

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

mabels big day posted:

your friend is completely full of poo poo.
Word, thanks. I suspected he was since the only info I could find was some whiny gamefaqs post

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I'd like Ganondorf to not have an old man jog. And for Samus's rolls to be better. I could swear Sakurai showed her dodging like Other M and that looked a lot better than her current super slow Morph ball.

Marth's sword should be a tad longer (hurr)

Robin needs a lot less endlag.

I guess that's all I can think of.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NTT posted:

Nerf defensive play so Shulk's insanely slow moves are better
Or just buff Shulk in a way that allows him to be played without the Jump or Speed boosts always on.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Fix Meta Knight's sword range. And his flight. And his lovely neutered Shuttle Loop. And his everything

Or give him projectile Sword Beams like in the Kirby games/Anime :getin:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think you only need two minor changes to totally change Smash 4 and make it a faster, more aggressive game:

1. Increase shielding speed, so your shield appears in fewer frames after pushing the button, but decrease shield size and make it decay faster. You can respond quickly with a shield, but you can't easily sit there.

2. Add a delay of a few more frames between dodges. You can quickly attack or shield after dodging, but you can't repeatedly spot-dodge or move around the entire stage by dodging.

There, characters can now apply pressure through non-projectile aggression.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Give Little Mac his original Up-B and Side-B distances back. He'd still be hilariously easy to kill compared to most of the cast and now that people have actually started learning the game it won't just be Macs in 80% of games like it was in week 1. Also make the version of his f-smash where you hold down to sweep them keep them closer to you and/or do more damage. Turn grounded side-B into a kill move but remove some of the invulnerability on it. Don't give him a kill throw, but turn his throws into something better, like maybe give him Charizard's down throw from P:M, with less fire.

Have the Koopa Cart detonate faster when you do a grounded up-B as Bowser Jr. Do something to make the mechakoopa less easy to pick up by opponents, or just something. Reduce the cannonball's recovery so you can put more on the screen faster if you're just pooping out little ones. Tweak f-smash's hitboxes to be less janky - Enemies will both fall out of it randomly before the important hit, or even get hit by the last hit when clearly out of range of it. Make dair either loving obliterate shields, have less recovery if it hits a shield, be jump-cancelable on hit/block, or be a low-percent kill move.

For DK, turn the grounded Spinning Kong into a kill move. Increase hitstun on down-b, maybe decrease the range. Significantly decrease neutral-b charge time, or make it reach full damage/knockback in 2/3 the current time but let you keep charging to give it super armor or more knockback. Reduce jab knockback so you can grab people after it. Give his dash attack a fixed, relatively low knockback so you can do aerials after it easily. Make the cargo carry throws not poo poo, I don't really care how and there's plenty of options.

Implement a universal, very minor increase to hitstun so people have combo options that aren't just up-tilt or f-tilt chains, and a minor reduction in knockback from moves not designed to kill so people spend more time fighting and less time recovering from obviously non-fatal attacks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think you only need two minor changes to totally change Smash 4 and make it a faster, more aggressive game:

1. Increase shielding speed, so your shield appears in fewer frames after pushing the button, but decrease shield size and make it decay faster. You can respond quickly with a shield, but you can't easily sit there.

2. Add a delay of a few more frames between dodges. You can quickly attack or shield after dodging, but you can't repeatedly spot-dodge or move around the entire stage by dodging.

There, characters can now apply pressure through non-projectile aggression.

Those would both be great, maybe also tweak grab speed out of shield since you can easily grab anything that doesn't cross up if you block it (this is bad because it makes universal defensive options really powerful and hurts characters who don't have good cross-up aerials), but I think the huge knockback on random hits is pretty bad too and would need addressed. There's just so much waiting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Implement a universal, very minor increase to hitstun so people have combo options that aren't just up-tilt or f-tilt chains, and a minor reduction in knockback from moves not designed to kill so people spend more time fighting and less time recovering from obviously non-fatal attacks.
I'm pretty sure this hands the game to Diddy in a hilarious way, doesn't it? His attacks have so little lag he could easily chain insane combos.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Wild Knight posted:

And for Samus's rolls to be better. I could swear Sakurai showed her dodging like Other M and that looked a lot better than her current super slow Morph ball.

I think you're thinking of Project M. They gave her an Other M style dodge and made morph ball into a crawl.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure this hands the game to Diddy in a hilarious way, doesn't it? His attacks have so little lag he could easily chain insane combos.

I guess I was using "universal" as shorthand for "do it to pretty much everything but not literally everything," since yeah the current top characters barring Rosalina are top because they already have either respectable hitstun or are just fast enough to combo anyway. I don't think Sakurai could just slide the giant Acme lever labeled "hitstun" forward and expect the game to work, but I didn't feel like looking at every single character on a roster of almost 50 to see which moves would be most interesting to give increased hitstun and reduced knockback to, because it's probably significnatly more than those it shouldn't.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
DK needs to have better hitboxes for his smash attacks, especially down smash. And to clarify, yes I am a newb who relies on down smashes too much.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Air dodges should go back to the way they were in melee. You get one air dodge, but it moves you quickly a direction of your choosing.

Perfect shielding should be harder, shields should decay slightly faster, and shields should come back slightly slower.

I want Rosalina's old forward smash and down tilt back so I don't have to play her lame. I know this will never happen.

Undo the nerfs on Greninja.

Marth needs his old range back and Lucina should be brought up to match him. Both of them need better throw damage.

Little Mac needs a normal jump distance back and his old up B and side B distances back. He would still be rear end in the air but he might have a chance at coming back to a ledge.

Pikachu should have his Smash 64 neutral air.

Remove Fox, Falco, and Bowser Jr. from the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh also add projectile reflect back to perfect shields.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

robin mostly needs a faster run speed and less end lag on her specials. i'd also appreciate it if landing nosferatu in the air didn't put her into special fall. and give her 4 more alt colors.

and yeah what countblanc said about less knockback on moves that aren't going to kill. that would be lovely.

there was something else i wanted but i forgot what it was.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
-Restore Greninja back to how he was, before the game was released, like he was in Pokemon.

-Make Diddy better, specifically his bananas. More bananas (?)?

-Change Zelda so she doesn't get knocked out at 14% and change her down B so she can change into Shiek again but make it so when she fights Link the only thing she can do is jump onto high platforms and when Link comes near her she disappears.

-Add perks when you scan specific amiibo. When you scan Wii Fit Trainer, have the user fill out a questionnaire that asks how they got it, where they got it, did they have to buy it off a scalper, etc.

-Remove MArth, add Roy, then remove Roy and replace him with another slot for Lucina, but she has a mask.

-Add in triple jumping ala Mario 64.

-Give the game away free to five children.

-

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I just want them to nerf the gently caress out of Diddy because he's a stupid character that I dislike. He's a monkey baby with a baseball hat (which says "Nintendo" on it) and a gun that shoots peanuts. I'm okay with one character sitting definitively atop the tier list as long as it's a badass character.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Phil Spencer (The head of Xbox) thinks Banjo-Kazooie being DLC for Smash Bros would be cool and would have no problem working with Nintendo to make it happen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

What is everyone's wishlist for buffs on their favorite characters in the upcoming patch? I want bowser's down air to have armor, and fire breath to have less lag. And I want Ike to snap the ledge even when he uses aether facing the other way.

Restore the double fair for Marth and Lucina, and if they hit a shield with shield breaker they loving break it no questions

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

it's sad but i agree with louisgod the most out of everyone so far.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Restore the double fair for Marth and Lucina, and if they hit a shield with shield breaker they loving break it no questions

fair + dancing blade is better

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I am also hoping they fix the defensive game, it's such a pain to actually play aggressive in this one. I also hope they give default Skull Bash some adjustments to make it even fractionally as useful as Heavy Skull Bash, which can actually kill.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

TenaciousJ posted:

Remove Fox, Falco, and Bowser Jr. from the game.
But why...? I don't really care about Bowser Jr. but why get rid of the Star Fox series completely?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

zolthorg posted:

fair + dancing blade is better

sure make this good too then

E: not like they're tearing up the tiers right now anyways

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
A universal nerf to shields, or maybe even just perfect shields, would be pretty rad and I'm all for something pushing the meta towards offense.

This would be really cool

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
lets be honest though all they're gonna change is some rear end customs no one uses and call it a balance patch

Sakurai plays by his own rules yo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

lets be honest though all they're gonna change is some rear end customs no one uses and call it a balance patch

Sakurai plays by his own rules yo

idk I thought there might not even be another balance patch and lo

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

But why...? I don't really care about Bowser Jr. but why get rid of the Star Fox series completely?

Furries.

I find all 3 characters annoying and stupid.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

Furries.

I find all 3 characters annoying and stupid.

Ok I get where you're coming from with the Starfox characters, but Bowser Jr. might be a bit of a stretch for the furry angle.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I'm afraid that ship may have already sailed!

Nah JK I still want this incredibly badly, bad enough to go vote for it right now

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Bowser Jr along with the Koopa Kids is an absolutely inspired inclusion that was excellently executed and 100% deserves to be in Smash. If you disagree then we're now enemies.

I don't main Bowser Jr, I'm not even that good with him, but every now and then while playing when he shows up I just shake my head and think, drat what a sweet character.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

goodbye bowser, yoshi, lucario, charizard, greninja, mewtwo, sonic, donkey kong, diddy kong, dedede, Robin, and Ike

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Cicadas! posted:

Ok I get where you're coming from with the Starfox characters, but Bowser Jr. might be a bit of a stretch for the furry angle.

Bowser Jr. isn't a furry. He's just dumb and annoying.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

Bowser Jr. isn't a furry. He's just dumb and annoying.
I wish Smash was more serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In the grimdark future, there is only Marth.

• Locked thread