Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheQat posted:

. also the world is definitely not improving for the vast majority of people at this particular moment in time

Are you sure about this? China alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

build a nuke plant

You'd have a better chance at getting the GOP to stop trying to poo poo on Obama at all times. The stance against nuclear energy makes me see red and it should be legal to beat any environmentalist who is diehard anti-nuclear. The nuke policy in this country makes me see red.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Why the gently caress would they?

We've literally called up the last country we were at war with, told them exactly what we were going to do and how to do it and then because of how much we spend on our military we won without even really trying. We basically took the main highway to Baghdad with huge neon signs on our tanks saying "come stop up fuckers" and won handily. And I'm not saying this like I have a war boner or anything either... It's terrifying that the US military could basically curb stomp any other nation on earth even if it was being lead by George loving McClellan.

If the only wars were conventional wars, sure. The US has shown it can't handle sustained fighting against guerrilla tactics and we'd go bankrupt long before we could stabilize Iraq. Even if we went full Roman and killed every last person there and then resettled it. Though I'd be willing to chip in money to ship Tea Partiers to the new Iraq colony.

Mauser posted:

Couldn't he also veto the bill or is an authorization different from a law somehow?

Doesn't matter. The President is the absolute and final say on such matters as Commander in Chief.

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

TheBlaze might be wrong about almost everything, but they aren't cartoonish supervillains.

Alternatively, they don't have the balls.

Glenn Beck also has way, way, way loving more to lose by scamming like this. He's many things but he knows his business and he's not going to scam for a couple hundred thousand dollars and risk pissing away millions in the process.

DemeaninDemon posted:

You're an idiot if you didn't see this coming.

Doubly so for anyone expecting the Democrats to call bullshit on them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasn't there some former national security advisor making the rounds on releasing UFO files within the last couple months too?

This will be the new, unexpected plank of the '16 run.

site fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 3, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

Want there some former national security advisor making the rounds on releasing UFO files writing p within the last couple months too?

Yes, it's been a longtime obsession of John Podesta who has worked for the Clinton and Obama administrations and is now on the Hillary campaign staff, which is why the UFOlogists are all excited.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Yes, it's been a longtime obsession of John Podesta who has worked for the Clinton and Obama administrations and is now on the Hillary campaign staff, which is why the UFOlogists are all excited.
Ah, okay. Well they better hope Trollbama releases em cuz you know the Clinton's wouldn't do poo poo even, or especially, if they did exist. Being national security hawks and all.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

Holy poo poo people in this thread are defeatist. Things can change, and particularly in times of crisis things can change quite quickly. A better world isn't going to be easy, but it's definitely possible and worth fighting for. People have been slowly improving their world for literally millennia; what makes you think that the problems we face are in any way special?

One part is that the excitement of living in end times is hard to deny, and people who don't literally think God will be coming down to earth in their lifetimes need to find it somewhere else.

Another part is first world problems: things have mostly plateaued for them or even dipped, especially relative to the world around, and a lot of people like to ignore how much health is improving and poverty declining elsewhere.

A third is the 24/7 news culture. People know the problems that were always there and usually worse, but with it live on the internet they see it as a new development, and a sign things are getting worse. It's just like asking people whether they think there's more crime in the US than there was a generation ago. This also relates to the previous point: knowing things are still pretty bad in the rest of the world doesn't mean they know the level of war, famine, and poverty in the fairly recent past.

A fourth is progress being the enemy of activism. Mind, it's not that activists don't want progress, it's just that acknowledging it is generally considered bad for rallying the troops. So you always talk about how you're the underdog no matter how much momentum you have, always "They're about to win!" and never "We're making progress but we're not there so keep it up!"

A fifth is hopeless conditions also being the ally of inaction. Same way if you want to recruit others to help you fight you want to seem in the game but on the ropes, if you want to make an excuse to just wash your hands of it you tell yourself things can't be salvaged, then go pat yourself on the back for being smart enough to recognize the fact.

If most of this sounds like the psychoanalysis you see here of right-wingers, it's because humans mostly all have the same kinds of brains, fear the same kinds of things, and affirm their tribal affiliations in the same way.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Congressman Huelskamp is mad about bullet bans. So mad that he's gonna ban the bullet ban... with bullets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdbqV_AICc

Take that, paper!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Congressman Huelskamp is mad about bullet bans. So mad that he's gonna ban the bullet ban... with bullets!

Take that, paper!

I'm honestly surprised one of this "I'm gunna shoot this bill!" shits haven't shot themselves in the foot yet. Literally shoot themselves.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Take that, paper!

Looks like he isn't handling the trigger correctly with that grouping.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Take that, paper!

He's using full auto/burst on an AR 15, which is only used by military legally. Odd.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Take that, paper!

was he aiming for "BULL" or just so mad he was extra aggressive with his pull

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
The gofundme for Memories Pizza has now raised over $700,000 dollars. http://www.gofundme.com/MemoriesPizza

:shrek:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mcmagic posted:

That is the least disturbing thing about him. And it's pretty drat disturbing.

I don't see it as that bad really. It is a bit of a running joke in exercise circles that you are exercising so you can eat more and if his guilty pleasure food is cake and ice cream that's no better or worse than anything else.

FCKGW posted:

Plain white sheet cake is the most boring and offensive desert ever made, gross.

Maybe he meant with white frosting? I hope so at least.

Grocery store cake is normally pretty bad though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh my God, Sean Eldridge is still angling for public office, please take this campaign behind the woodshed already.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pohl posted:

The gofundme for Memories Pizza has now raised over $700,000 dollars. http://www.gofundme.com/MemoriesPizza

Honestly, so what? Let the bigots across the country spitefully flush their own money down the toilet. Memories Pizza isn't going to become a nationwide anti-gay pizza empire because of this. More than likely they'll just find some way to waste most of it and come around again in a few months begging for more cash using the same shtick.

Yeah, it's unfair and galling to watch assholes get rich off of crowdfunding just for being assholes, but sadly it's not a new concept. I have a feeling this is not going to end well for them, because sudden windfalls like this rarely do.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Honestly, so what? Let the bigots across the country spitefully flush their own money down the toilet. Memories Pizza isn't going to become a nationwide anti-gay pizza empire because of this. More than likely they'll just find some way to waste most of it and come around again in a few months begging for more cash using the same shtick.

Yeah, it's unfair and galling to watch assholes get rich off of crowdfunding just for being assholes, but sadly it's not a new concept. I have a feeling this is not going to end well for them, because sudden windfalls like this rarely do.

I had the same thought this morning and it tempered my anger a bit at this bullshit. Beck's people, who are behind this whole thing, have promised a financial advisor along with all the cash, presumably to make sure they don't blow it all at once, pay their taxes on it, that sort of stuff, but at the end of the day these people are still dumb, bitter, spiteful yokels and are going to blow it all in the dumbest way possible as so many so often do. It's not going to improve their lives, it's probably going to ruin them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

theultimo posted:

He's using full auto/burst on an AR 15, which is only used by military legally. Odd.

Private citizens can legally own machine guns provided they were made prior to 1986, assuming that the state they live in does not ban them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Just imagine a beemer rolled over. Like no one gets hurt or anything just they roll their fancy new car.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Armyman25 posted:

Private citizens can legally own machine guns provided they were made prior to 1986, assuming that the state they live in does not ban them.
I'm sure as a congressman he has access to ones he can borrow as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

theultimo posted:

Fully automatic firearms (or full auto sears for AKs and ARs, which are legally the same thing) are legal in the majority of US states. The only restrictions are that they were built before a certain date in 1986 and that a stricter background check and $200 tax stamp are paid by the owner. Plus, you know, they can own guns in the first place.

Fully automatic AR-15 and AK-pattern firearms are actually not at all unusual. They're rare and very expensive (even a cheapo MAC-10 is $4000 or more to buy legally), but he's not carting around an illegal assault rifle or anything.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

I'm sure as a congressman he has access to ones he can borrow as well.

NRA has quite the collection of arms for candidates to borrow.

Just don't try and do a shotgun skeet hunt with 'em without reporting it properly.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

It will merely change the world and force us to come to terms with our power and depravity.

Climate change is slow and insidious enough that plenty of people could accept a narrative of God's wrath / diversity as a weakness. Humans return to their default Taliban-like state.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

Climate change is slow and insidious enough that plenty of people could accept a narrative of God's wrath / diversity as a weakness. Humans return to their default Taliban-like state.

That's already occuring. Thankfully, America is a bedrock of freedom against the global tyrrany of Putinism and islamofascism.

Climate change will test America, and like all tests previously, America has emerged a stronger, more unified nation, with improved rights for African Americans and wider sharing of political power.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

I had the same thought this morning and it tempered my anger a bit at this bullshit. Beck's people, who are behind this whole thing, have promised a financial advisor along with all the cash, presumably to make sure they don't blow it all at once, pay their taxes on it, that sort of stuff, but at the end of the day these people are still dumb, bitter, spiteful yokels and are going to blow it all in the dumbest way possible as so many so often do. It's not going to improve their lives, it's probably going to ruin them.

Yeah, they're not going to win this fight. At the end of the day, no matter how much spite cash they rake in from this, they're still going to be known from here on out as the owners of that bigoted Indiana pizza joint that refuses to serve gay weddings. And from what we've seen take place nationwide over the past week, America's patience for that kind of nonsense is finally, thankfully, starting to wear thin.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's already occuring. Thankfully, America is a bedrock of freedom against the global tyrrany of Putinism and islamofascism.

Climate change will test America, and like all tests previously, America has emerged a stronger, more unified nation, with improved rights for African Americans and wider sharing of political power.

So Florida's going quicker than expected?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Chelsea Manning has a twitter account, no idea how she's tweeting from prison:

https://twitter.com/xychelsea

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

theultimo posted:

In addition to what others have said, many gun ranges will also rent out legal full-auto/selective fire weapons (for use on site, obviously).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

seiferguy posted:

Dictating via phone, apparently.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

seiferguy posted:

She calls her supporters on a telephone and dictates the tweets which they then post

e;fb

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

It's going to be glorious next year when they remember they need to pay taxes on that.. I think they'd already owe something like $250,000 on that?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

If there's a sign up sheet somewhere to volunteer for having my life ruined by an unexpected $700k I'd like to know where it is.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chadderbox posted:

If there's a sign up sheet somewhere to volunteer for having my life ruined by an unexpected $700k I'd like to know where it is.

$700k isn't that much though. My wife and I could clear that in like 4-5 years tops.

I'm such a 1%.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Winner is Jew posted:

$700k isn't that much though. My wife and I could clear that in like 4-5 years tops.

I'm such a 1%.
That's still 5-odd whole years of income for a middle-class working couple. Or 10 or so years of income for a single middle class worker. Or two or three years of income for someone in the lower edge of the 1%. That's a lot.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 3, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

That's still 5-odd whole years of income for a middle-class couple of two. That's a lot.

Yeah, and for that you're basically hosed for life since people will want to doxx you constantly. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great if we liquidated the 0.1% and redistributed their wealth so everyone gets a few hundred grand, but a $700k check to ruin your life isn't that great if it's you know... ruining your life.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

That's still 5-odd whole years of income for a middle-class working couple. That's a lot.

True, but lots of people are really bad with money, especially windfalls like this. It's why lotto winners often go broke eventually whether they win 500K or hundreds of millions. Once their bank account goes over a certain number they read it as "infinity dollars" and spend it as such.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, and for that you're basically hosed for life since people will want to doxx you constantly. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great if we liquidated the 0.1% and redistributed their wealth so everyone gets a few hundred grand, but a $700k check to ruin your life isn't that great if it's you know... ruining your life.

That's what the book deal is for.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's going to be glorious next year when they remember they need to pay taxes on that.. I think they'd already owe something like $250,000 on that?

I tried looking into the tax thing, but I'm not really clear on how gift taxes work when there's an aggregating site like gofundme involved. There's a $14k exemption for each individual donor, but as it's all being pooled by a third party (who are also taking a cut themselves) does the nature of the whole thing change or does the individual donor relationship still exist? Or does none of that matter and it's all treated as normal income for the recipients?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

That's still 5-odd whole years of income for a middle-class working couple. Or 10 or so years of income for a single middle class worker. Or two or three years of income for someone in the lower edge of the 1%. That's a lot.

Or well upwards of 10 for the proprietors of a lovely pizza join in the middle of nowhere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReidRansom posted:

I tried looking into the tax thing, but I'm not really clear on how gift taxes work when there's an aggregating site like gofundme involved. There's a $14k exemption for each individual donor, but as it's all being pooled by a third party (who are also taking a cut themselves) does the nature of the whole thing change or does the individual donor relationship still exist? Or does none of that matter and it's all treated as normal income for the recipients?

The "gifts" though are to the independent guy who started the gofundme, not to the pizza place people. They will receive the so far $700k as a gift, but only the first $14k would be exempted.

So the dude who ran the gofundme probably won't have to pay any taxes, but if he actually gives it to the pizza place people they'll have to pay a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ruin your year, maybe. The next outrage of the week will come around soon enough. This one is even focused primarily on the place, rather than the individual, so just sell the equipment of your crappy pizza place, let the lease lapse, pocket your money, and if you're super worried, move a few states over.

• Locked thread