Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London.

I've been poor in both cities and no one's loving congratulating me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Weird he picked that and not the book Orwell went to war to write.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

why are there two harry potter megathreads

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulvir posted:

I blame the free market

also, Obama

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

One is for Harry Potter fanfiction, so it's fine.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

CestMoi posted:

One is for Harry Potter fanfiction, so it's fine.

lol.

Never forget, fifty shades of grey started out as Twilight fanfic.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Paper With Lines posted:

lol.

so there;ll be some saucy harry potter books for adults in the stores the enxt few years

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

so there;ll be some saucy harry potter books for adults in the stores the enxt few years

There already are some (kinda - YA): http://www.amazon.com/City-Bones-Mortal-Instruments-Book/dp/1416955070

Clary = Ginny
Jace = Draco

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
What is it about urban fantasy that just attracts so many mediocre writers?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Borneo Jimmy posted:

What is it about urban fantasy that just attracts so many mediocre writers?

It's one of the hot genres right now, so publishers are putting out anything and everything they can to capitalize on that.

Though City of Bones is, I believe, marketed as young adult rather than urban fantasy, which really doesn't change what I just said since it still applies 100%.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
(buy city of bones!)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Paper With Lines posted:

lol.

Well, Twilight started as a Pride and Prejudice fanfic. It's fanfic all the way down.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love roman mythology. it's like the world's first fanfic/blatant ripoff. "wow, these greeks has some cool stuff, we'll take it!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mythology is pretty much all fanfic.
"And then Zeus turned into a swan and then gently made love to her"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ulvir posted:

I love roman mythology. it's like the world's first fanfic/blatant ripoff. "wow, these greeks has some cool stuff, we'll take it!"

Alhazred posted:

Mythology is pretty much all fanfic.
"And then Zeus turned into a swan and then gently made love to her"

These are stupid opinions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:ohdear:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ITs's just fanfiction!!!!!! It's just fanfiction!!!!!!!!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mythology is reality's Expanded Universe?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

intentionally stupid wording aside, the greek mythology did influence the roman pretty heavily

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

blue squares posted:

Non-fiction isn't really fair. I don't know of any cases, but I was imagining something like a writer who, say, is intentionally drowned and revived to be able to write about it. So not just past experiences but something done specifically as part of the creative process of writing a specific novel.

The Book of Vice: Very Naughty Things (and How to Do Them) by Peter Segal

The author tries to experience various forms of vice and then write about. It's not too extreme and is a little more on the comedic side, but he does visit swingers clubs, etc.

This has nothing to do with Vice magazine and it written by the guy who hosts Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

These are stupid opinions.

The Roman one isn't, IMO. Rome blew, gently caress Rome. Rome's largest cultural export was violence and every work of art they produced was at best an adequate imitation of the Greeks whom they worshipped. Come At Me.

e:Pluto just isn't as cool of a name as Hades Rome you're just going to need to accept this I'm sorry

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Yeah, the Aeneid and the Metamorphoses, widely regarded as the best works of classical literature are actually bad, on account of their using themes and stories many people of the time would be familiar with.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Similarly Ulysses is a big pile of turd, for drawing esoteric parallels between itself and a famous work (ie completely copying it and adding nothing of value to Homer's work).

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Er. The Life of Brian, anyone?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That's parody not fan-fiction.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I meant, "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

Yeah, the Aeneid and the Metamorphoses, widely regarded as the best works of classical literature are actually bad, on account of their using themes and stories many people of the time would be familiar with.

homer's better

Yo whatever happened to the Arthurian lit thread? I miss that thread.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 1, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

End Of Worlds posted:

The Roman one isn't, IMO. Rome blew, gently caress Rome. Rome's largest cultural export was violence and every work of art they produced was at best an adequate imitation of the Greeks whom they worshipped. Come At Me.

e:Pluto just isn't as cool of a name as Hades Rome you're just going to need to accept this I'm sorry

It was part of Roman literary culture to form a Graceo-Roman mythological narrative, and it's reasonable to say that Roman poets had a strong preference for Greek mythologies, but if you look at gods like Mars, Vesta, Quirinus or Janus, at the omnipresence of minor guardian spirits, or at the importance in Roman legend of the state, the people and their essential moral qualities, you've got a pretty complex picture.

A pertinent example: Pluto (Pluton, whatever) is a Homeric euphemism for Hades, later used by Roman authors for their native god/gods, the possibly Etruscan-derived Orcus and the possibly Greek-derived Dis.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

ulvir posted:

intentionally stupid wording aside, the greek mythology did influence the roman pretty heavily

They existed in an area that had been colonised by greeks and heavily influenced by Greeks. Its not surprising. Religions have always incorporated, borrowed and absorbed each other depending on what was dominate at the time.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Please never use the words fan fiction in regards to religious beliefs ever again or I am going to spasticly flail my little retard arms uselessly until I fall over and piss myself and die. My blood will be on your hands

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stravinsky posted:

Please never use the words fan fiction in regards to religious beliefs ever again or I am going to spasticly flail my little retard arms uselessly until I fall over and piss myself and die. My blood will be on your hands

what about this one

quote:

No, Moslems don’t believe that Jesus was the Messiah.

Think of it like a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu’ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There’s still Jesus, but he’s not the main character anymore, and the messiah hasn’t shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie, but ignored the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third one doesn’t count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fanfiction that doesn’t fit with ANY of the series canon.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Stravinsky posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994&pagenumber=43&perpage=40#post440377674

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Snapchat A Titty posted:

what about this one

Think really hard about what the difference is between the post I quoted and the rest of this forum's idiotic stance that religion/mythology is itself fanfiction, then try to come back and own me bitch.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Think really hard about what the difference is between the post I quoted and the rest of this forum's idiotic stance that religion/mythology is itself fanfiction, then try to come back and own me bitch.

They7're the same.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We live our lives as fanfiction of our favourite fictional characters - Aldous Huxley in Eyeless in Gaza. I was going to get a more accurate quotation but apparently it's still in copyright?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There is Roman mythology fanfiction, like Lucian of Samosata's Dialogues of the Gods or Dialogues of the Dead. They are very awesome and cool.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Stravinsky posted:

cool that you thought I wasn't joking when I said the fanfic stuff, even when I tried to make it explicit

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
So is there no book of the month for April?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chamberk posted:

So is there no book of the month for April?

No, I've just been traveling (and slack) so haven't gotten thread up. It'll go up today. Book is Three Body Problem, Chinese sf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm actually gonna go ahead and make the claim that virtually all mythology and absolutely all of the cycles (matter of Britain, Fenian cycle) can be called fanfiction without your tongue planted TOO firmly against your cheek.

If we define fanfiction as the appropriation of existing characters and settings into new or modified plotlines, then we're required to accept something like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight or The Song of Roland as fanfiction. The one significant difference seems to me to be that fanfic is generally based on works with one clearly defined author and 'canon,' which is obviously not the case with something like the Arthurian cycle. Still, you have enduring works of literature that are clearly derivative of others, to the extent of being consciously based upon them. For example, the Middle English Adventures of Arthur at the Tarn Wadling draws deeply from the Alliterative Morte Arthur, explicitly referencing events that take place in the latter. What's that but fanfiction?

You can extend this to mythology. In Western Europe you've got Scandinavian skalds and Celtic bards consciously drawing on heroic and theological stories or extant folklore to construct new heroic and theological stories.

I'd argue that we don't call any of this fanfiction because fanfiction has an obvious (and well-deserved!) bad reputation, because it's derivative and pretty much universally terrible. Attaching a stigma to derivation, though, is very much a later development. It wasn't around in most of the Medieval period (I'm not knowledgeable enough to make any claims about the Classical period besides posting inflammatory comments). Also, the intervening thousand years has served to weed out most of the terrible poo poo, so we're only left with the really good 13th-century fanfiction (although, inexplicably, Gottfried von Strassburg has also survived).

anyway the aeneid blows

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 6, 2015