Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

I ordered some kelly green waxed laces last night on Amazon. I'm going to replace that ugly lime green tape with some darker green as well.

Speaking of, does anyone want 2.99 rolls of ugly, thin, lovely lime green tape?

I've found the best green waxed are the Elite brand. The others I've tried aren't the best for me at least.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one wanting to be a giant green machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

calandryll posted:

I've found the best green waxed are the Elite brand. The others I've tried aren't the best for me at least.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one wanting to be a giant green machine.

Yeah, my current white waxed ones are Elite, but I couldn't find a not-lime-green set on Amazon that was Prime-eligible, and I am a lazy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

If you're having fun and also improving at any skill, keep doing whatever you are doing and don't worry what the Internet is telling you. :hfive:

:pwn::respek::v: Even after smushing my own face in I can't wait to get back out there on monday and learn some things and shoot some pucks...

E: And apparently learn how to skate better. :v:
With my helmet and full cage on. Things are PURPLE today!

SAS Hockey Player Thread: hockey ice is hard

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 4, 2015

MajorJohnSteed
Dec 20, 2014
Had my first LTP the other night. Was probably middle of the pack skating ability wise, puck handling and shooting I need a lot of work on.

There was a buttload of people there so I didn't get on the ice as much as I would have liked during the scrimmage at the end, but I couldn't believe how much fun I was having out there. You all know this, but hockey is awesome.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Scrimmage at the end of LTP class is the best and worst thing in the world. Best because I feel like a moderately effective player within that group, worst because you only ever get 1-2 shifts.

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar
I somehow forgot my cup during my game last night. I'd just washed my jock so it didn't have the cup in it, and I just put it on and forgot to put the cup in. Didn't even realize it until I found the cup in my bag after the game.

I also scored two goals, including a shorthanded one.

I sincerely hope these things aren't related.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That crucial FreeBalls-to-Goals fancy stat.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sounds like you played balls out

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So my girlfriend is currently taking LTP lessons, but she says she's having very bad ankle pain out there. Part of it is her preexisting ankle problems, but there are folks who still play hockey despite having a lovely ankle from surgeries and other injuries. Anyone know of a good ankle brace for hockey boots, or other tricks to keep the pain relatively low?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

More Iron Maiden and pregame beers.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Bootcha posted:

So my girlfriend is currently taking LTP lessons, but she says she's having very bad ankle pain out there. Part of it is her preexisting ankle problems, but there are folks who still play hockey despite having a lovely ankle from surgeries and other injuries. Anyone know of a good ankle brace for hockey boots, or other tricks to keep the pain relatively low?

Hard to say without knowing what the pain is like and how her boots fit. Does she have very slender ankles and feet? Maybe her skates are too wide to provide good support?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
The greenification continues.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

More Iron Maiden and pregame beers.

This man speaks words of wisdom. My drive to the rink involves a ton of Maiden. Then a beer while getting ready.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I've transitioned to Rush's 2112 for the ride to the rink, 4-0 in games learning about the power of ancient miracles

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Metallica (master of puppets specifically), motorhead iron maiden are all acceptable means of preparation.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Are we talking pre-hockey preparation music? Because if so Cannibal Corpse, Skeletonwitch,Amon Amarth and Motorhead are my favorites when I'm on my way to a rink.

And of course Shipping Up to Boston when there's 5 minutes left in the third.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I play books on tape and get stoned before my games. You guys should have seen the open net I missed yesterday

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Been feeling pretty good about my front to back transitions lately so today at drop-in I tried to pull one off going top speed. I'm lucky the puck carrier had his head up or I'd have a pair of skate tracks across my torso right now. Need to work on that one some more.

Pre-game psych up is all hip hop, Ghostface, Tupac, A$AP, Action Bronson... anything that involves violence or braggadocio will do it for me. Alternately it's the podcast edition of This American Life. Thug life...

prom candy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 6, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

my pregame involves hurriedly scrolling through the last 3 pages of this thread on the walk from the parking lot to the rink. it helps me visualize success and superiority

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm going to start leaving random encouraging messages, in case that's true.

sellouts, you're a special person and your eyes shine like diamonds in the moonlight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

3 pages takes like a month to fill up in here, unless you're going back and re-reading all that wonderful prose we generate.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
3 pages ago I couldn't stop or skate backwards. the system works!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

my pregame involves hurriedly scrolling through the last 3 pages of this thread on the walk from the parking lot to the rink. it helps me visualize success and superiority

Your skating is so silky smooth that it reminds me of kittens walking on pillows.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I listen to noodly indie pop on the way to and from games. Recently I went on a big Sia kick and would hum "Elastic Heart" while waiting for the puck to drop on faceoffs.

I think my dislike of metal means I don't deserve my SA account or something.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i appreciate that everyone took that as me looking for words of encouragement and not making GBS threads all over everyone. it's great that everyone here can tell that i'm loving around most of the time.

Pleads you can share those words when i pick you up for games next season.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

3 pages ago I couldn't stop or skate backwards. the system works!

Sweet, I have something to look forward to.

Dear me 3 pages from now: Don't gently caress up (much) and don't skate on your face thx and :love:
- Duke from the past

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Scored my first and second goal in my LTP class 2 weeks ago. Our last 6 weeks were all just scrimmages. Sure my goals were on an empty net with a goalie cutout, but my team lost 4-2 and the only goals scored the whole game were on the empty net. It was probably my second best game I've played, I played better last week, and I had a breakaway that I missed due to not wanting to be a dick who skates it into the net. I shot it and it hit off the inside edges of one of the "scoring" holes. Oh well. It's been a great confidence boost, I'm playing top line which may or may not have anything to do with skill but makes me feel better. My line definitely had the most chemistry and best chances IMO.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Question for you first time LTP peoples: So what should I expect on night/class #1 here? Are you going full pads and gear right off the bat or what? I haven't heard any word from them via email or whatever on what to expect/bring/etc.

MajorJohnSteed
Dec 20, 2014

Duke Chin posted:

Question for you first time LTP peoples: So what should I expect on night/class #1 here? Are you going full pads and gear right off the bat or what? I haven't heard any word from them via email or whatever on what to expect/bring/etc.

My first night was full gear, but on the rink's website they listed out the gear you're expected to have for the LTP, so I was prepared. Probably your best bet is to email or call somebody and get that figured out. Don't want to get there and not be able to participate because you were waiting for somebody to email you.

As for what we did, started off with pretty basic forwards/backwards swizzles, half swizzles, inside/outside edges. Then there was a few passing drills, then we broke into groups for a few modified scrimmage like drills (only 2 per side skating, others posted around the boards, things like that). After that was the 5 on 5 scrimmage until the end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just wear full pads, if it's okay to have a stick and puck out there, everyone else is going to be in full gear too.

Sooner you get used to them the better anyways. Plus falling really does hurt less if you're geared up.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Go full gear. It's not one of those situations where you are going to look like a doofus if you are in full pads.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ :hfive: it's literally impossible for me to not look like a doofus at any given time :v:

Well, on the plus side my new gear bag literally just came off the ups truck so hooray for clearance sales and timely delivery. I'll being the full kit as prescribed by the above since I can now carry it all in one shot and can fire that old rear end too-small duffel bag into the sun.

Thanks for the heads up, folks - now to go sit in traffic on the way to the arena!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Plus when you get used to skating in full gear you'll feel so light the next time you skate without it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...still gonna wear my helmet tho.

:D

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Definitely go full gear. I just did the minimum for week one (helmet, gloves, cup) and I fell and it hurt. Almost everyone else was in full gear. Also don't expect that everyone else will be brand new, most of the people in my class were low-tier players looking for more puck time and technique practice. Next fall I'm going to be one of those people as well.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I left my gear outside to air out and several spiders made my skates their new home.

Am I going to get a suprise next time I take my gear out the bag? :iiam:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I tend to listen to more upbeat things on my way to the rink - like old school Metallica, occasional forays into power or progressive metal, even Green Day / Offspring - but I've found that, on days when I'm feeling it, pumping up the volume and singing along to something like Jesus Christ: Superstar or Les Mis really opens up my lungs and has a totally noticeable effect when I get on the ice.

Eh, but occasionally:

communist kangaroo posted:

I play books on tape[/NPR] and get stoned before my games.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I carpool with my buddy who lives in the same apt complex I do, and he has an unlimited Data plan and GCL, so he watches/I listen to games on GCL on the way to our games.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Went full gear and yeah damm near 40 or so of the 45 people in my class were full kit. poo poo was fun even if it was just forward skating drills, of which I can TOTALLY always use more of. I swear every time I gear up I literally forget how to hockey stop on the most meager fashion I can now. :manning:

Still, totally looking forward to Wednesday's class.

Also:

prom candy posted:

Also don't expect that everyone else will be brand new, most of the people in my class were low-tier players looking for more puck time and technique practice.

...yeah, like a good 1/5th of the class is the above listed folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had the weirdest penalty shot tonight.

Mis handled the puck off the first touch but recovered it with a kick up from my back foot to keep the forward progression.

I start setting up for my move and the goalie catches an edge and falls backward. My mind went blank and I forgot my move but the whole top of the net was now open. I shoot and it goes low right into the five hole and I heard a thud. Then I see it trickle through and into the net.

Everyone acted like it was some sick goal but it was literally all accidents and luck. I think it might have been caught on video so I can see how terrible it looks at full speed.

We played a 1-1 game for 45 minutes then somehow figured out a way to lose 8-1 in the span of 10 minutes. Our goalie played the best game of his life ... but the rest of our team played terribly in front of him in the third and every rebound ended up going in.

I think it's called a prolapse when your rear end gets blown inside out. That's definitely what happened tonight .