Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

You mean had a good layout and put about 25% more shells downrange than the Des Moines. It might not win reliably against a Des Moines but it'd win reliably against anything else and likely do a better job of it, since it was literally more capable in every way except long range AA and HP pool. The Long lances got lost in a tree-wide nerfing. I'm not sure it needed all that though.

I don't know about you, but I consider HP pool to be pretty valuable. And yeah sure half that stuff were global changes but the end result is that the entire line is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

xthetenth posted:

You mean had a good layout and put about 25% more shells downrange than the Des Moines.

Senjo could fire faster than the Des Moines? I thought the whole shtick with the Moines was that it could fire the fastest since it has autoloading guns or something. I think I'm mis-interpreting this somehow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Aoba is pretty terrible at least, so much citadel and so little firepower despite having 8" guns that even an Omaha is a better than even chance of crushing it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I want to play with goons in a few min when I get home. Is the server in the op still correct?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

OSad posted:

Senjo could fire faster than the Des Moines? I thought the whole shtick with the Moines was that it could fire the fastest since it has autoloading guns or something. I think I'm mis-interpreting this somehow.

It's got three more guns but a slower reload. It used to be not that much slower so you'd put out more shells per minute. It's down to 4,6*12=55,2 shells/min now vs 90 on the D-M.

ps. Atlanta king of ships 168 s/m broadside.

Prav fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 3, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zotix posted:

Since moving from fighting bots to actual players, my teams have been a complete mess. Like 3-4 people dying within the first 2 minutes, which puts the rest of the game at nearly a 2 - 1 the whole time.

Welcome to the WG experience.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Shipped out in my Wakatake for some destroyer fun since I had a pretty bad time in my Omaha and got into a Tier 3 Destroyer vs. St. Louis game. I was on the destroyer side, 7 destroyers (and other boats) vs. 7 St. Louis (and some destroyers.)
Took out 5 ships mostly with torpedoes all by myself and earned over 100k credits and 5k xp. Of course I only needed 1k to get an Isokaze so now I have so much XP on the Wakatake I can't convert over.

Destroyers are very hit and miss :psyduck:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Prav posted:

I don't know about you, but I consider HP pool to be pretty valuable. And yeah sure half that stuff were global changes but the end result is that the entire line is a joke.

HP pool is only one input to survivability and I heard Senjo took a hit more gracefully, and it took one similarly gracefully at least when I tested it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EponymousMrYar posted:

Shipped out in my Wakatake for some destroyer fun since I had a pretty bad time in my Omaha and got into a Tier 3 Destroyer vs. St. Louis game. I was on the destroyer side, 7 destroyers (and other boats) vs. 7 St. Louis (and some destroyers.)
Took out 5 ships mostly with torpedoes all by myself and earned over 100k credits and 5k xp. Of course I only needed 1k to get an Isokaze so now I have so much XP on the Wakatake I can't convert over.

Destroyers are very hit and miss :psyduck:

I tend to get some decent games with American destroyers because they have reasonably good guns, which makes them great for murdering other destroyers, especially ones who can only think in torpedo. With Japanese destroyers, I do poorly or really well. Your torpedoes are all you need and other destroyers and cruisers die to only a few torpedoes. Bigger ships take more but they also have a harder time getting out of the way.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's so satisfying when you launch your torpedoes at a BB just before you die and then the torpedoes hit while your sinking.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I think I'm starting to get the hang of playing a DD. I'm having way less games where I instantly die at the very beginning. I have no clue what I'm doing different though. Quick someone say something to dissuade me from playing more before I do something dumb like attempt to grind for a Fletcher.

Anyway I attempted a bunch of manual dive bombing today to see if it's any better. Verdict: I'm apparently very bad at judging where the centre of the ship will be, but good at judging where the ship as a whole will be. Every single manual drop I did landed to the barest left or right of the centre of the ship, sometimes clipping it with a single bomb. Went back to just auto-dropping so I could focus on my torp bombers instead. Anyone else had any luck with manual dive bombers or should I not bother?

Also anyone while in a CV love seeing the BB players (usually in a Kongo where this works best) who slow to 1/4 so they can bait you into leading them at 1/4 then speeding up as soon as you go in for the run? Having your two squadrons come in with about a second or so delay between them and dropping the first volley on top of him, and the second one in front of him is great. They'll always speed up, probably with their best :smug: face on, see the second barrage and usually slow down, eating the entire first volley and usually part of the second because they can't slow down fast enough. poo poo's never not funny.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I just had a match where I was dueling an Isokaze in my Minekaze, and she launched torpedoes 4km away who then materialized just 1km away from me.

This has literally never happened to me and whoever it was that complained about this a couple of pages back, sorry I talked poo poo, one major embarrassment later and I believe you now.

OSad fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 3, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

That long range graphics bug is going to murder my cruiser fun. Iirc, it's anything over 11.5k you need to lead an extra half to a full length of the ship (though the exact length is still a mystery to me.) I was wondering why I was sucking so bad with max range fire in my Cleveland.

Montefarle
Apr 12, 2005

Insert name here posted:

I think I'm starting to get the hang of playing a DD. I'm having way less games where I instantly die at the very beginning. I have no clue what I'm doing different though. Quick someone say something to dissuade me from playing more before I do something dumb like attempt to grind for a Fletcher.

Anyway I attempted a bunch of manual dive bombing today to see if it's any better. Verdict: I'm apparently very bad at judging where the centre of the ship will be, but good at judging where the ship as a whole will be. Every single manual drop I did landed to the barest left or right of the centre of the ship, sometimes clipping it with a single bomb. Went back to just auto-dropping so I could focus on my torp bombers instead. Anyone else had any luck with manual dive bombers or should I not bother?

Also anyone while in a CV love seeing the BB players (usually in a Kongo where this works best) who slow to 1/4 so they can bait you into leading them at 1/4 then speeding up as soon as you go in for the run? Having your two squadrons come in with about a second or so delay between them and dropping the first volley on top of him, and the second one in front of him is great. They'll always speed up, probably with their best :smug: face on, see the second barrage and usually slow down, eating the entire first volley and usually part of the second because they can't slow down fast enough. poo poo's never not funny.

For DB i find the time needed to manual aim not worth the effect.

You can achieve the same effect by pre-setting your DB auto-drop on your target's expected turning angle.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Armor of the Aoba is even weaker than I thought. Got a Citadel penetration at 7km on it last night with a Nicholas. Shooting HE. The higher tier Japanese ships really need a buff of some sort, and I'm not sure just fixing the torpedoes is enough, because right now they're almost unilaterally strictly weaker than their counterparts.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

Insert name here posted:

Yea it frikkin rulezzz, I posted about it like a page ago

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kubrick posted:

I downloaded the client ahead of time the other day. I don't know if that's pathetic or practical.

seems practical to me, now, because it's yours (zxqv8 never provided his email)

Also, thanks PadreScout for the game, it's great :3:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So... the Cleveland. Yeah, that thing needs a big nerf or to get bumped up to T7. :stare:

Though credit where it is due, the Kongo ate several torps from a beautiful suicide run from our Kuma when the two of us double-teamed her.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The aoba seems to require more support to work compared to the cleveland. I'll give it that. The torps are fun though, but I haven't been able to use them lately. I'm finding myself in a lot of t9 matches where I'm the sole t6 on my team. So I'm holding waay back at max range except BB guns are such that our BBs are even further back. Oh, and carriers are minimal, so even ghosting them for aa cover is pointless.

Also, plane kills need to give more xp/credits.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

The torps are fun though, but I haven't been able to use them lately.

I don't get the love over torpedoes on the Japanese cruisers; the firing angles you have compared to destroyers are just simply awful. On the Aoba for example, you have to almost always expose your complete flat side to the enemy in order to even start to have a shot. If you find yourself being engaged by a Cleveland (and the Aoba has to fight Clevelands nearly every match) and he's got any semblance of just starting a T-cross, then your angle is ruined and you have to spend more time swinging your somewhat clumsy hull around. Plus, exposing your weak citadel like that while under fire hardly seems appropriate, and often times while doing so, the enemy cruiser has already had time to deal significant damage to you or outright destroy you as you're trying to get a good angle on him.

You can try doing this to battleships, but I honestly find the risk of engaging a smart battleship driver at 7km or less on poorly-armored IJN cruisers about as smart as trying to outgun a Cleveland at tier 6. The torpedo thing on Cruisers feels like it's an afterthought you can launch away and hope for a kill while you're sinking away, though I won't discredit the idea that I'm merely using them wrong.

Edit: Maybe "love" is a silly word to use here, but it does feel like when people mention IJN cruisers, it's "Well, they're a bit worse than the american ones, but they've got torps!".

OSad fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 3, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

OSad posted:

Edit: Maybe "love" is a silly word to use here, but it does feel like when people mention IJN cruisers, it's "Well, they're a bit worse than the american ones, but they've got torps!".

I get pretty marginal use from them, but they're a decent ambush tool if there's an American cruiser or battleship hanging around an island. Under no circumstances try to out-torp a destroyer.

North is a terrible map. It's just too big. 90% of my draws are on North, because it encourages pubbies to wander into nothing and also eliminating any use for destroyers besides fastcapping.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

I want to play with goons in a few min when I get home. Is the server in the op still correct?

Yes, any of the shitlords in TeamSpeak can grant you the access to be able to move around else I will fix it when I get home after work.

Magni posted:

So... the Cleveland. Yeah, that thing needs a big nerf or to get bumped up to T7. :stare:

I don't think the Cleveland can survive versus tens if they bump it up a tier unless they gently caress with the armor some.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 3, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The Japanese cruisers are pretty weak in general. Kuma, Mogami and maybe Tatsuta can compete, but otherwise the torpedoes don't make up for the overabundance of citadel hits and the generally worse guns.
The closed beta patch hit Japanese cruisers pretty hard between torpedo visibility and damage model changes, and they weren't outstandingly strong before it. The upcoming patch should mitigate that some, if super test forum is correct.

Also Cleveland shouldn't be tier 6, especially as Worcester is apparently sort of in game at tier 10. It's pretty blatantly shoehorned into the slot but I don't know if there's a better candidate.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

I do not have PM capability. If I get a code, please contact me on Teamspeak or email it to rwbelliii at gmail dot com. Thanks!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I gave destroyers a chance last night. I figured I wouldn't like them. Ive been pretty successful in the jp tier 2 destroyer. But I've still got a lot to learn on tactics

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

How do I manually target torpedo bombers rather than just send them to auto attack?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Zotix posted:

So I gave destroyers a chance last night. I figured I wouldn't like them. Ive been pretty successful in the jp tier 2 destroyer. But I've still got a lot to learn on tactics

You can't really judge DDs at tier 2. Tier 4-5 are the happy hunting grounds where you will have the most fun until you have to adapt tactics when you go to tier 6 and above.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Good news, everyone! After being top-tiered in a battleship in a match with no aircraft carriers, I've finally figured how to survive in one! :downs:

Also my secondaries did a lot of the work/kills for me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kubrick posted:

How do I manually target torpedo bombers rather than just send them to auto attack?
Hold down the alt key. You can use it for friendly fire and suicide too. :)

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
When does the daily exp multiplier reset?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Zettace posted:

When does the daily exp multiplier reset?

8pm EST I believe. You'll need to convert for your own timezone.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
The first impression I have of this game is that I'm not very good at this.

The second is that the mechanics are sound for a beta.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
:argh: Three weeks later and still no Gold, fffffff :argh:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Crash74 posted:

:argh: Three weeks later and still no Gold, fffffff :argh:

I want more ship slots. I want more ship slots and I don't want to sell my favorite ships. :(

Edit: I thought the whole mention that the Myogi can do a great kiting maneuver was a joke, but I actually enjoyed the grind way more than I thought. It can do a great kiting maneuver, and it's durable enough that it can take shots on the butt and survive until its next repair cooldown. This ship has let me get away with a whole lot more than I was supposed to in quite a few matches and people are often desperate to hightail it behind you trying to get you killed, getting them killed in the process.

OSad fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 4, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

You can't really judge DDs at tier 2. Tier 4-5 are the happy hunting grounds where you will have the most fun until you have to adapt tactics when you go to tier 6 and above.

So how does the tier 3 jp dd fare? I unlocked it earlier today but didn't play it?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Decent guns but abyssal turret traverse means that you need to rely more on your torpedoes when fighting enemy destroyers but the extra range opens up better blind fire opportunities and you can do more hail Mary torping.
If you get in close enough you can murder things two tiers above you with ease if you manage to hit them with tight spreads.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 4, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Wish I had replays on for that match. Minekaze, tier 5 battle. We take 2 points and contest 1 early, and ship kills are even for a bit. I'm doing doughnuts on B in layered smoke screens and having fun dodging a bazillion torps, nailed a Phoenix and a Kawachi and helped take down a Clemeson.

At some point though the enemy heavy hitters show up to A and C and they steamroll our guys there. We do manage to clear B and I break out to hunt down the enemy Langley and Independence. I tunnel a bit here because while I'm plotting my course through their spawn I glance up to reveal that it's just me and our two carriers vs 6 enemies.

Points were in our favor for most of the match, but are now steadily ticking the enemy's way. I detect the independence, who divebombs me once, but I pop smoke when he tries to repeat. He dodges the max range torp run. Enemy cruisers have the range on me now, but my second set of fish is out, and I'm hoping I can get one more kill before I die. And then just as I'm set on fire from a second cruiser volley, all my torps slam home (he turned into them at the last second, not that it mattered).

And then the match ends. Victory. On points, from the carrier kill. We must have had 900+ or something, because I did not expect to survive, nevermind win.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Poil posted:

Hold down the alt key. You can use it for friendly fire and suicide too. :)

Thanks!

Now, how do I do those super long range shots I keep seeing battleships do? I keep seeing people fire across the map, but I can't move my turret up any higher.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Kubrick posted:

Thanks!

Now, how do I do those super long range shots I keep seeing battleships do? I keep seeing people fire across the map, but I can't move my turret up any higher.

Battleships have a longer range than cruisers which I believe is longer than destroyers. There is a fire control system module upgrade that will generally up your range by about 10%. Don't expect to be shooting at battleships while outside their range unless you are in a battleship yourself and shooting at lower tiered ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Kubrick posted:

Thanks!

Each type of gun has it's own maximum range.