Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just read the latest chapter. Arato looks like she'll end up a lot better than Nikumi since she actually has a goal to achieve and doesn't look like she's joining Souma's harem, which is cool because I actually quite like her.

It's a bit weird that Souma was comparing himself trying to catch up to his Dad with Arato being fine at staying behind Erina, because I think Souma at least said he wanted to beat his Dad. Though I guess Hayato wanting to be the best counts as more ambitious than either of them anyway? The thematic reasons for why someone is a better cook in this manga can be pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think this isn't really a short arc, that was just a small segment that finished in the overall larger series of these internship things.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nahxela posted:

I think this isn't really a short arc, that was just a small segment that finished in the overall larger series of these internship things.

Merely an appetizer as this may be the main course

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's a bit weird that Souma was comparing himself trying to catch up to his Dad with Arato being fine at staying behind Erina, because I think Souma at least said he wanted to beat his Dad.

The point of that scene was to tie back to the "give your dishes your own flavor" thing that decided the tournament. So far everything Soma does is basically an inferior version of what his father would have done because, well, Soma learned how to cook from working with his dad. He wasn't aiming to be second to his dad forever like Arato was with Erina, but by cooking like him he was unknowingly dooming himself to that; remember all those matches he's had with his dad? Soma will probably never be able to outwit his dad if he cooks the same way, so he has to find his own path. Which is easier to do in Tootsuki, because other people are with him, like Dojima said waaaaaaay back at the end of the training camp.

Honestly, the writing in this manga is pretty solid.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Okay I'm almost convinced that the writing is "solid" but you have to wrap all of that up around the underlying premise that your food sucks unless you cook it for someone you love.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That'll be Soma's big revelation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eej posted:

Okay I'm almost convinced that the writing is "solid" but you have to wrap all of that up around the underlying premise that your food sucks unless you cook it for someone you love.

Not suck, just not as good as it could be. Megumi lost to Kurokiba after all and Kurokiba doesn't cook for any reason but to win. And Takumi lost to that copy guy as well, and he was cooking for his brother at the time.

Cooking for someone you care about is just another one of the thematic shonen ideals this manga uses and adapts for its premise. It's also got standing up from your losses and improving on them, having the ambition and desire to win, following your own path and not anyone else's, and learning and growing with your friends. It's basically shonen 101, if you fight for someone you care about you are stronger than if you're just fighting for yourself. If this was just a cooking manga it'd be dumb as hell but it's also a shonen, where one of the best cooks hangs around naked most of the time, a top chef's personality changes completely once he puts on a bandana and where you flunk out of cooking school if you can't singlehandedly improve an established restaurant. It being ridiculous comes with the territory.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eej posted:

He's a shonen protaganist. His theme is "Because I have friends."

Some assholes speed-scanned 110 in semi-passable english:

http://mangadoom.co/Shokugeki-no-Soma/110/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

He's a shonen protaganist. His theme is "Because I have friends."

Some assholes speed-scanned 110 in semi-passable english:

http://mangadoom.co/Shokugeki-no-Soma/110/

Looks like Shinomoya is going to try and master a french-japanese fusion style (using burdock, a widely popular vegetable in Asia, not often used in Europe), which will make for some interesting stories. I've been watching Mind of a Chef and David Chang does some amazing stuff when trying to make new styles of ramen, and one of my favorites is where he takes the traditional style of making ramen broth (4-10 hours) and manages to make the same quality (or better) broth in 10 minutes by using freeze dried mushrooms, chicken, pork, and other seasonings.

One of the amusing things he mentions is how in Japan ramen is constantly being experimented with and modified and new styles emerge, but if people develop a new style/technique outside of Japan no one really regards it as "authentic". Looks like Shinomoya is going back to his roots to create something new and unique that will capture the taste buds of Japan.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 16, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pentyne posted:

Looks like Shinomoya is going to try and master a french-japanese fusion style (using burdock, a widely popular vegetable in Asia, not often used in Europe), which will make for some interesting stories. I've been watching Mind of a Chef and David Chang does some amazing stuff when trying to make new styles of ramen, and one of my favorites is where he takes the traditional style of making ramen broth (4-10 hours) and manages to make the same quality (or better) broth in 10 minutes by using freeze dried mushrooms, chicken, pork, and other seasonings.

One of the amusing things he mentions is how in Japan ramen is constantly being experimented with and modified and new styles emerge, but if people develop a new style/technique outside of Japan no one really regards it as "authentic". Looks like Shinomoya is going back to his roots to create something new and unique that will capture the taste buds of Japan.

Ooh, and it's on Amazon. I'll watch that, thanks for mentioning it! Which episode is this, S1E1, or S1E11?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 16, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I like Shinomiya. Now that he's chilled out he's a pretty cool dude.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ooh, and it's on Amazon. I'll watch that, thanks for mentioning it! Which episode is this, S1E1, or S1E11?

Almost all of the episodes have a great Japanese segment, I'll list my favorite.

Episode 1 Ramen: Pretty much all about ramen, noodles, instant noodles, ways to cook ramen broth, etc.
Episode 2 Pig: Details how Chang created a version of katsu bushi (dried, preserved fish that's rock hard and shaved into slices and served everywhere in Japan) using pork instead and how once the technique is perfect any animal protein can be made the same way and open up tons of new ways to prepare Japanese cuisines that formally used the fish k-b.
Episode 7: Simple: Covers a lot of the "simple" Japanese food traditions like yakitori that are refined to perfection and a ramen restaurant where there's no talking aloud
Episode 10 Japan: Covers Japanese bar culture, food markets, and an extremely formal meal served at a Japanese temple that's looks like actual art
Episode 11 New York: Features a NY guy living in Japan running a ramen restaurant who's developed his own unique take on tonkatsu ramen that's pretty popular
Episode 12 Fresh: Covers how precise the fishmongers are when they kill fish, and how even fish can be aged like steak for better flavor, and then covers the freeze dried food experiment where Chang makes a ramen broth in 10 minutes he says is as good or better then the broth Momofuku (his flagship restaurant) makes over the course of 12 hours.
Episode 13 Soy: Pretty obvious, you get to see fresh tofu being made using the same techniques they've done for centuries and how miso is made

Mikl posted:

I like Shinomiya. Now that he's chilled out he's a pretty cool dude.

He seems like the kind of chef who's hovered at that 2 Michelin star level for years and has sat comfortable while being slightly afraid to push for a 3rd star by challenging himself until he finally faces a new experience and is forced to admit he's stagnant. One of the things Gordon Ramsay talks about the most when it comes to Michelin Stars is how you have to keep pushing the boundaries of quality and experience because the people are paying Michelin level prices and you absolutely cannot stagnant or rest on your laurels.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 16, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This made me read the Wikipedia artcle on Michelin stars, and apparently some Japanese restaurants got stars and didn't expect to...and the owners were actually reluctant to take them because it causes traffic to go up so much it hurts their quality.

The latter is an interesting premise and very Souma/his dad-like.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

pentyne posted:

The funny thing is, Shinomiya is a Japanese person, but most people I know think he's "arrogant French guy." Also his French assistant girl looks much more obviously asian than anyone else.

Fabricated posted:

This made me read the Wikipedia artcle on Michelin stars, and apparently some Japanese restaurants got stars and didn't expect to...and the owners were actually reluctant to take them because it causes traffic to go up so much it hurts their quality.

The latter is an interesting premise and very Souma/his dad-like.

Sukiyabashi Jiro is the most well known of these - a Michelin Three Star sushi restaurant in a train station. It got really popular due to the movie Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

I'm just glad we're not going to rehash Shinomiya being a dick and threatening to expel Soma over and over. I wonder if they're gonna use this arc to finish off the story with the other side-story girl who obviously had the hots for Shinomiya.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

The funny thing is, Shinomiya is a Japanese person, but most people I know think he's "arrogant French guy." Also his French assistant girl looks much more obviously asian than anyone else.

Sukiyabashi Jiro is the most well known of these - a Michelin Three Star sushi restaurant in a train station. It got really popular due to the movie Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

I'm just glad we're not going to rehash Shinomiya being a dick and threatening to expel Soma over and over. I wonder if they're gonna use this arc to finish off the story with the other side-story girl who obviously had the hots for Shinomiya.

Yeah, Jiro Dreams of Sushi was the first thing that popped into mind as well. They went reservation-only, too.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Anime Japan 2015 trailer for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUAnRpHnndw

I'm not feeling the song, but the foodgasm/shounen posing game is on point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
New chapter has been up for a while. Looks like Souma finally realizes the difference between working in a restaurant kitchen vs. running a local shop.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Do we have a list of all the meals cooked in this series? Some of them look amazing, even in monochrome and sound even better, I'd like to try making some of the simpler ones.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

sharktamer posted:

Do we have a list of all the meals cooked in this series? Some of them look amazing, even in monochrome and sound even better, I'd like to try making some of the simpler ones.

Speaking through personal experience, the onion and red wine sauce Souma used for his Don Shokugeki versus Nikumi is loving delicious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I like where they're going with the Michelin star hunt since that's completely serious over-the-top business even in real life. A meal at a three-star restaurant is about 300 bucks a plate - the only places that get these stars are in major cities where Michelin does city guides, so there's a huge amount of competition.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I believe in the volume extras, there are written recipes (some adjusted for obvious reasons like certain ingredients not being readily available), but only Batoto has those pages uploaded from what I remember.

There's already a dedicated Shokugeki no Soma wikia that has all the dishes that were cooked so far written down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I like where they're going with the Michelin star hunt since that's completely serious over-the-top business even in real life. A meal at a three-star restaurant is about 300 bucks a plate - the only places that get these stars are in major cities where Michelin does city guides, so there's a huge amount of competition.

In the last 2 decades Japan has been getting an extraordinary number of stars relative to the rest of the world, and many people have criticized the Michelin Guide for being more lenient with Japanese restaurants but every food show I've ever seen that covers Japan portrays the bulk of Japan's food culture as far more serious then most other countries, and chefs like Jiro are closer to the norm rather then the exception.

Getting a 3 star Japanese restaurant is still difficult and it really comes down to absolute unfettered perfection and never letting the slightest detail slide. In Jiro's restaurant one of the training chefs had to make the tamago, the egg sushi topping, hundreds of times before Jiro finally told him it was acceptable. One of the reviews I remember most about Dreams of Sushi was how Jiro continues to try and improve his food any way he can, from washing the rice a different way, to hand massaging squid for 45 minutes instead of 30 because he found the extra time really brings out the perfect texture and flavor. Fun fact, the entire situation looks depressing as hell for the first son, who's still working under Jiro in his mid-50s because he can only take over when Jiro retires/dies, and the second son left and started his own restaurant and quickly gained 2 Michelin stars but is still seen as a "discount Jiro's"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
^^^^^^^

In case you hadn't noticed, that's two or three times that Jiro Loves Sushi has come up in about as many pages. If you haven't watched that yet.... why the deuce not?! It's free on Amazon if you've got Prime!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

Anime Japan 2015 trailer for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUAnRpHnndw

I'm not feeling the song, but the foodgasm/shounen posing game is on point.

I was watching this, going 'yeahhh look at that food LOOK AT THAT FOOD BROTH BROTH BROTH BROTH BROTH'

I rewatched it, noticed Nikumi's boobswing when she sliced through the meat, and realized that this is probably going to be even more indefensible than the manga already is. :negative:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Patware posted:

I was watching this, going 'yeahhh look at that food LOOK AT THAT FOOD BROTH BROTH BROTH BROTH BROTH'

I rewatched it, noticed Nikumi's boobswing when she sliced through the meat, and realized that this is probably going to be even more indefensible than the manga already is. :negative:

I dunno, it's not even that big of a step from Koufuku Graffiti.

Then again, my sense of shame may just be incredibly decayed.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed boobswing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's going to be one of those gifs like with the Maoyuu Maou Yuusha anime where the words "plot" and "economics" were superimposed over the Maou's massive swinging rack within the first few episodes.

I'm just wondering if the food reactions are going to be full on orgasmic sounding or just slightly erotic.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Considering the visuals I suspect the former.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

There's going to be one of those gifs like with the Maoyuu Maou Yuusha anime where the words "plot" and "economics" were superimposed over the Maou's massive swinging rack within the first few episodes.

I'm just wondering if the food reactions are going to be full on orgasmic sounding or just slightly erotic.

It would be a disservice to the manga if it wasn't the former.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man that Erina jiggle through a blazer, shirt and presumably a bra.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Re: the current arc, the way I can see Souma "making a lasting impact" is that he wins the respect of the sous-chef, who in turn learns not to judge people for things other than their skills in the kitchen.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Viz's chapter is up. There are some significant translation differences between it and the speedscan. I'll be interested in seeing Casanova's translation.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Crunchyroll picked up the license to stream the anime. The first episode should be up today.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/04/03/crunchyroll-to-stream-food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma-anime

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I loved the after credits sequence. Otherwise the first episode is OK, I suppose.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I loved the after credits sequence. Otherwise the first episode is OK, I suppose.

The food reactions are about as insanely over the top as you'd expect.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

MajorMarcus posted:

Crunchyroll picked up the license to stream the anime. The first episode should be up today.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/04/03/crunchyroll-to-stream-food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma-anime

Solid first episode; whoever was in charge of music production did a drat good job with matching the over-the-top visuals and setting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Solid first episode; whoever was in charge of music production did a drat good job with matching the over-the-top visuals and setting.

The OP and ED sound generic as gently caress though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's a cheap shounen jump cash in what are you expecting?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

MajorMarcus posted:

Viz's chapter is up. There are some significant translation differences between it and the speedscan. I'll be interested in seeing Casanova's translation.

Casanova's is up and I'm curious what the differences are between that and the Viz one. I thought Souma would have learned more cooking techniques from his father since much was made of his using poêle in one of the earliest chapters. Also, I guess that his visible mark on Shino's is to have his new dish chosen for the menu from one of his earlier failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Casanova's is up and I'm curious what the differences are between that and the Viz one. I thought Souma would have learned more cooking techniques from his father since much was made of his using poêle in one of the earliest chapters. Also, I guess that his visible mark on Shino's is to have his new dish chosen for the menu from one of his earlier failures.

The translation is a little different and Casanova tends to go a bit heavy on the filtering. Someone on 4chan posts Viz's when they go up, so you can find it if you search the offsite 4chan archive