Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm reading Incorruptible and while it's really good I really hate Horacio Domingues art. He's like a shittier Mark Bagley and I'm already not that big a fan of Bagley.

Really looking forward to getting to the part where Takara takes over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What the hell is coming out of his mouth.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm going to be generous and assume it's wintergreen lifesavers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

McSpanky posted:

What the hell is coming out of his mouth.

Radioactive semen.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Maybe it's supposed to be meth and someone doesn't understand what meth mouth really is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gotham Academy is a gat dang good looking comic.
GA #6

Mingue Helen Chen

Karl Kerschl

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gotham Academy is a gat dang good looking comic.
GA #6

Mingue Helen Chen

Karl Kerschl

This is now a thing I will be reading

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Karnegal posted:

This is now a thing I will be reading

Karl Kerschl may be one of the greatest unsung artists of our time.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The lace on her arms is nuts. When I was reading that issue I was like, "Why would an artist do that to themselves?!" I guess Karl just loves us that much.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Man, I wish I liked that book, that art is wonderful.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just buy it for the art! :D I'm sure it doesn't sell nearly as much as it should.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
However well it sells, it should sell better. It's a wonderful, wonderful book.

The Endgame tie-in was adorable.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Wendell posted:

The lace on her arms is nuts. When I was reading that issue I was like, "Why would an artist do that to themselves?!" I guess Karl just loves us that much.

It looks like it's a pattern fill. Look closely at the armpits. The pattern continues right over the lines for the armpit/bust. Real patterned fabric/lace wouldn't do that, it would bunch up at the joints. That being said, even though it's a time-saving technique, it's executed subtly and very well in this case.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Wendell posted:

Err... it doesn't look hand drawn to me either, it looks like a pattern fill yeah. It's flat. It looks great nevertheless.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

It looks like it's a pattern fill. Look closely at the armpits. The pattern continues right over the lines for the armpit/bust. Real patterned fabric/lace wouldn't do that, it would bunch up at the joints. That being said, even though it's a time-saving technique, it's executed subtly and very well in this case.

Oh, whoops. It looked so much better than the typical flannel skirt ones that I missed it.

And sorry to have offended you so greatly Flesh Forge.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I really like books where everything is painted in one go by one person, instead of pencils – inks – colors by three different people. Do you guys have any recommendations to that end? I love the art in Drifter, for example.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

wayfinder posted:

I really like books where everything is painted in one go by one person, instead of pencils – inks – colors by three different people. Do you guys have any recommendations to that end? I love the art in Drifter, for example.

Recently, G.I. Zombie's art was by the great Scott Hampton alone (other than lettering and Darwyn Cooke covers :))
https://www.comixology.com/Star-Spangled-War-Stories-2014/comics-series/21283?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

e: 'painted in one go', though. No idea what his process is, but it's probably not that. There's definitely digital colouring in there.
e: Looking at it, Drifter ain't that either. Closer than I thought!

eee: Frazier Irving always does all the work, right? He's amazing.
https://www.comixology.com/Seven-Soldiers-Klarion-the-Witch-Boy/comics-series/8122?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA Seven Soldiers: Klarion
https://www.comixology.com/Xombi/comics-series/5670?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA Xombi
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-and-Robin-2009-2011/comics-series/2925?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA Batman and Robin #13-16
https://www.comixology.com/Annihilator/comics-series/25430?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI Annihilator
https://www.comixology.com/Uncanny-X-Men-2013/comics-series/9576?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA Uncanny X-Men #5-7,10
https://www.comixology.com/Masters-...TGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM This Skeletor comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 3, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The outlining on this is an odd choice. Reminds me of when all the videa games were cell shaded.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Wendell posted:

And sorry to have offended you so greatly Flesh Forge.

How did I come across offended, I actually kind of went out of my way to make it sound timid. All is well bro.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

The current Iron Fist series is drawn, inked, colored and written by Kaare Andrews. It takes the character in a different direction than the previous series, but it's solid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The best Frazer Irving work is his covers for Bedlam, the short lived Image series about a man who is basically the Joker cured by experimental brain surgery.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

wayfinder posted:

Are you specifically asking for painted comics, or are comics of any art style with one artist acceptable?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Are you specifically asking for painted comics, or are comics of any art style with one artist acceptable?

Hard to say, really—I already hope that I'm not asking in the wrong thread (the Kersch pages just reminded me), and I'm not trying to be incredibly specific in how the actual process of the books has to be or anything.

That painted look, though. Man! That's the thing I crave! :)

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Marvel is releasing re-mastered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy comics, and they're a bloody travesty: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04..._medium=twitter

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shitshow posted:

Marvel is releasing re-mastered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy comics, and they're a bloody travesty: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04..._medium=twitter

I thought we were done with Special Editions. :(

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Shitshow posted:

They probably want to appeal to new readers who aren't used to the old coloring styles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, now I finally agree with you guys. That gradient job looks horrible. Most times I don't have any problems with it, but this time it looks horrible enough that even I don't like it. It looks like a robot recolored it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
They also straight up erased original artwork (quite a bit!) on that first page. poo poo from top to bottom.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That C3PO face panel is a tribute to lens flare. It looks like parody.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

goatface posted:

That C3PO face panel is a tribute to lens flare. It looks like parody.

They're just preparing everyone for JJ Abrams' Episode 7.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cool. Now it looks like a Bluewater comic.

Those Darkhorse omnibuses will be hot items on Ebay in a sec.

e: Looks like you can still get 'em on Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Long-Time/dp/1595824863

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 3, 2015

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

I really loved how pretty Marguerite Sauvage's stuff was from the Thor Annual. I also dug the story that Noelle Stevenson wrote for it.

The young Thor story was pretty grand, too.

I love the Young Thor story as well.

For an entirely different reason. I totally get a Korgoth of Barbaria feeling from the last panel. And those faces are cartoon gold.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...wait, what are those foot things Sauvage gave the elf queen? Is that a real thing?

Her story for Sensation Comics was pretty good too. And notably managed to make it's point more efficiently than the most recent story that used a similar hook.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 3, 2015

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Gaz-L posted:

...wait, what are those foot things Sauvage gave the elf queen? Is that a real thing?

Her story for Sensation Comics was pretty good too. And notably managed to make it's point more efficiently than the most recent story that used a similar hook.

I'm guessing the elf queen likes some foot padding. Maybe Kickboxing is big in Alfheim?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PicklePants posted:

I really loved how pretty Marguerite Sauvage's stuff was from the Thor Annual. I also dug the story that Noelle Stevenson wrote for it.

The young Thor story was pretty grand, too.

For an entirely different reason. I totally get a Korgoth of Barbaria feeling from the last panel. And those faces are cartoon gold.

I also really liked straight edger CM Punk writing a story about getting really, really drunk.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

PicklePants posted:

3rd panel: Never knew Mephisto had a drinking problem. :v:

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I like to think Cap had been holding that pose - motionless - for the past few minutes while Robin was prepping to introduce him.

From Batman & Captain America #1, circa 1996.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Shitshow posted:

Murdering Howard Chaykin artwork with modern coloring has been a custom for more than a decade, but this one is somehow an achievement in that field.

PicklePants posted:

You should read Chew by the same artist

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Galactus drink shoulda had kirby dots coming off of it instead of those blue energy flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

The best Frazer Irving work is his covers for Bedlam, the short lived Image series about a man who is basically the Joker cured by experimental brain surgery.

Is the story anywhere close to the quality of covers? I mean I'd imagine not given Nick Spencer's spottiness as a writer. I do like the premise.