Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Chompsky was going binky crazy this morning and it made me sad that I had to put her back in her pen so I could leave for work. It's great, I hear her running around really quickly upstairs, then she bolts down the stairs as fast as lightning, and then just runs in circles downstairs for a bit, hopping around like a dumby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Does anyone have any experience with traveling long distances with rabbits?

Looks like I am going to be moving from MA to either Texas or California in the next couple of months and I'm trying to get as much information about traveling with rabbits as possible.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

voodoonoid posted:

Does anyone have any experience with traveling long distances with rabbits?

Looks like I am going to be moving from MA to either Texas or California in the next couple of months and I'm trying to get as much information about traveling with rabbits as possible.

giant crate in the back, lots of food and water. It may get a bit stressed by the trip but they are resilient as long as the AC is on and they have something to eat and drink. I always covered the top part of my cage with a big towel so they couldn't see anything out over the windows that would scare them.

Find pet friendly motels along the way. There are websites for it. I always found old towels were easier for travelling bedding the. Normal bedding. Just toss them when they are dirty in the morning and replace it.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
It can be kind of annoying if you're used to driving grueling days, but ours benefited from our stopping every 2-3 hours to let them come out of their semi-catatonic driving state to drink and eat a little. About 15 minutes per 2-3 hours seems enough, more if t aren't consuming food and water.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
We have already decided that Hass is going to stay in her one safe spot which is her giant cage that will stay in the back seat of my car so we can watch her. Keeping her cage covered with a towel is a really good idea. Thank You.

Pet friendly hotels is a must at this point (we have a cat also) so I will be sure to call ahead on our journey.

Hass has one more planned visit to the vet before the journey so I will be able to get their help as well.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
This morning Chompsky hopped up on my bed and landed right next to my face and woke me up. She does this sometimes, and it always scares the poo poo out of me, but it's too drat cute for me to really care. She then hopped around for a little bit before finding this new place to make her hang out. She stayed there for a good 10 minutes just chilling like that. She was probably trying to figure out what would be the best spot to dig a hole in my comforter to maximize my annoyance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My rabbit always found the bed exciting but a bit confusing. Lots of curious sniffing followed by excited leaps in the air.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

voodoonoid posted:

We have already decided that Hass

Omg

Is her name Hasenpfeffer

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Omg

Is her name Hasenpfeffer

Yes! My boyfriend and I are trained chefs. It made too much sense.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

voodoonoid posted:

Yes! My boyfriend and I are trained chefs. It made too much sense.

I request the highest of fives.

Happy Easter, bunhavers! Bunsnuggles today, DISCOUNT EASTER CANDY TOMORROW.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet is my easter bunny. SHe left what looks like chocolate all over the carpet!

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
gently caress. I found some sort of knot or bare skin lump or something on Pepper's leg. She's got a vet appointment, but I'm scared to death. Someone tell me she'll be okay. :(

She's currently eating and drinking like a champ, and she's spayed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bean posted:

gently caress. I found some sort of knot or bare skin lump or something on Pepper's leg. She's got a vet appointment, but I'm scared to death. Someone tell me she'll be okay. :(

It's some sort of benign growth. At worst they'll remove it and she'll need a little care for her leg.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bean posted:

Two of mine had big old lumps that they just removed. Usually it's just a fatty deposit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Of course Ella stops eating and starts bloating a bit the moment I leave town. Fortunately, FAVORITE HUMAN is on the case. Dad and that rabbit love each other. Critical care and whatever the vet perscribed last time and we have leftovers of with all the easy-to-follow instructions in the fridge.

Dum bunny.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

This morning Chompsky hopped up on my bed and landed right next to my face and woke me up. She does this sometimes, and it always scares the poo poo out of me, but it's too drat cute for me to really care. She then hopped around for a little bit before finding this new place to make her hang out. She stayed there for a good 10 minutes just chilling like that. She was probably trying to figure out what would be the best spot to dig a hole in my comforter to maximize my annoyance.

If you're going to sleep all out in the open and not safe in your burrow someone has to watch out for predators like hawks, bobcats and those bastard squirrels.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Recently Snoopy has started being a lot more mean to Peanut when it's getting to food time. If they hear the rustling of a grocery bag, or the opening of the pellet box, Snoopy starts to grunt at Peanut and chase her around the house biting her bum.

They are best friends the rest of the time, and I suppose it's just a dominance thing, but I'm a little worried she'll actually bite her hard and hurt her badly one of these days.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
When I sit at my computer in the mornings drinking coffee, Chompsky likes to hop up on the couch and just stare at me sometimes. Do any of your rabbits ever climb up this high on things?

She goes up there pretty often. It's really cute when I'm laying on the couch and she'll climb up there, and perch herself over my head.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

When I sit at my computer in the mornings drinking coffee, Chompsky likes to hop up on the couch and just stare at me sometimes. Do any of your rabbits ever climb up this high on things?

She goes up there pretty often. It's really cute when I'm laying on the couch and she'll climb up there, and perch herself over my head.
My old rabbit loved to get as high as he could. And then he'd climb up on things as well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, are you reading "No Meat Athlete" or is that for Chompsky?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

All books are for rabbits to destroy

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

brycey posted:

All books are for rabbits to destroy

I learned this the god drat hard way

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet loves to climb things too. There's a reason I keep calling her a lagomorphic edmund hillary.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
I wanna know where you're finding these cool freak bunnies that love to climb. Mine always wants to be as close to the ground as possible. They must have some himalayan pika in the blood.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ella is sick. I just got home. She has grown a lump the size of a small gumball on her jaw. Favorite Human and I are on the road to the vet now

Edit: yay it is a tooth abcess that needs surgery :sterv:

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 17, 2015

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I let my rabbit climb all over piles of stuff when he was super little and I think that's where he picked up the urge. Tried to climb on top of a desk not too long ago. Almost made it, too.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

The last time I was home, my bun had a bit of a mishap trying to hop up onto a chair - she missed by a tiny bit, leading her to hold on with her front paws and madly kick with her back paws, which were dangling out into space. She's normally much better and more coordinated when it comes to climbing like that, though!

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Dammerung posted:

The last time I was home, my bun had a bit of a mishap trying to hop up onto a chair - she missed by a tiny bit, leading her to hold on with her front paws and madly kick with her back paws, which were dangling out into space. She's normally much better and more coordinated when it comes to climbing like that, though!

Chompsky does that a lot when hopping up on things and it is the cutest thing ever. The best is after she does something stupid, she always sits there and looks at me, like she's threatening me ."you didn't see that!" Sometimes she'll be running around downstairs really fast, and then she'll bolt up the stairs, and she pretty much always biffs it halfway up while trying to double jump stairs. She'll either make it halfway up a stair, and hang on for dear life while kicking her back legs trying to get up, or she'll run head first into the side of the step.

Silly dumby.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm so sorry to hear that, Suspect Bucket... for what it's worth, it sounds like you gave Ella a wonderful life, and I'm sure that she knew how loved she was.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm sorry Suspect Bucket. Ella seemed like a sweet bunkin.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
She's at a bridge, being guided over by a little black dog on break from her duties in Hell.

Hellacious thunder and lighting last night. I think she's showing off.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone know any tips for stimulating bunny appetite?

My GF's female bunny had surgery a few days ago (turned out to be some kind of constipation) and ever since then she's been maybe eating a third or less of what she normally does.

She's getting Critical Care recovery food and is being offered her pick of fresh delicious herbs. She'll grudgingly eat a little to stop my GF from continually dangling basil leaves in her face but she'll barely touch any food without some serious prompting.

We had her by the vet for a checkup and she got her some kind of appetite stimulant shot but it doesn't seem to have had much effect.

My GF is worried as hell so I'd really appreciate any tips from you guys :shobon:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How's her water consumption?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

How's her water consumption?

She seems to be drinking ok. Still slightly less than normal but not to the point that it's worrisome.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

PerilPastry posted:

She seems to be drinking ok. Still slightly less than normal but not to the point that it's worrisome.

Did the vet give you any gut motility drugs for after the surgery? Reglan/metoclopramide?

Is it pooping?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

pseudonordic posted:

Did the vet give you any gut motility drugs for after the surgery? Reglan/metoclopramide?

Is it pooping?

No. Should we look into that?

She IS pooping, although the amount has been as dramatically reduced as her appetite.

Edit: Turns out she DID get some gut mobility drugs. She's also on painkillers.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 21, 2015

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The gently caress do you want? Attention? I'll give you attention. Look at this, millions of years of evolution says that anything that picks you up will carry you away and eat you. This is your own personal hell! You invited this. Oh you're so soft too. loving piece of poo poo.

marbors
Mar 11, 2014
My holland lop, Rosie, is a free roam bunny, has access to the whole house. Yesterday I got a new rabbit, 18 months old, never been indoors. I'm hoping to train her to be a free range bunny as well. First obstacle is bonding her with Rosie.

Today, new bunny was hopping around the side of the cage where Rosie was at, obviously trying to get her attention. A while later, Rosie got close to the cage, and new bunny nipped at her. Immediately after that, they looked like this:

This is good, right? Both look relaxed.
Does this mean the nip was an attempt to groom, or friendly attention-seeking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

RacistGuidingLight posted:

The gently caress do you want? Attention? I'll give you attention. Look at this, millions of years of evolution says that anything that picks you up will carry you away and eat you. This is your own personal hell! You invited this. Oh you're so soft too. loving piece of poo poo.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but if your bunny lets you pick them up despite those millions of years of evolution, it means that they absolutely love and trust you! I think that is an absolutely wonderful position to occupy in your bun's life, as a bunny owner and all.