Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Anne Whateley posted:

Apparently New York isn't an audition city this year? That is some bulllllllshit.

Ugh. Not again. Thanks, DeBlasio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Umm maybe I'm dumb but it won't let me put in a Canadian postal code this year? What's up with that, are we not allowed to do it anymore?

I think someone posted on the Jeopardy Facebook page regarding that, and I seem to remember a couple hours back that whoever controlled that social media account said that it was an oversight and should be fixed now. New form to fill out means things like that might fall through the first time around.

Propaniac posted:

Is there some reason not to just lie? Fake name, fake everything, sure I'm eligible. And then if you do get the call just tell them the truth then.
Rather not have to go through the hassle if I do get called in for an audition since the contestant coordinators are awesome people. There'll probably be a thing for checking eligibility prior to the actual test going live, likely when they ask when you want to take the actual thing. I remember seeing something where they said they would send a followup email prior to the actual test dates, so there's another time clarification could happen.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Ugh. Not again. Thanks, DeBlasio.

Honestly, this never gets old...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I think someone posted on the Jeopardy Facebook page regarding that, and I seem to remember a couple hours back that whoever controlled that social media account said that it was an oversight and should be fixed now. New form to fill out means things like that might fall through the first time around.
Yeah, I get it for sure. It still hasn't been fixed though, this morning it still asks me for a zip code.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I get it for sure. It still hasn't been fixed though, this morning it still asks me for a zip code.

Apparently, according to the Jeopardy Facebook page, you need to try it a couple of times. The person who posted the original complaint said she needed a couple attempts before it went through after the person controlling the social media account said it was fixed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Apparently, according to the Jeopardy Facebook page, you need to try it a couple of times. The person who posted the original complaint said she needed a couple attempts before it went through after the person controlling the social media account said it was fixed.

Cool, thanks!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

Cool, thanks!

No problem.

Also, Michael killing it again today. Almost flubbed that Daily Double by now answering the form of a question, but caught himself in the end there.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Michael is a mad man with his wagering. I love it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Michael owns. Finally someone with the guts to bet big.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Didnt he set a record today? I thought I read he got the third highest single (adult) game win in the show's history. Just under Ken Jennings and Roger Craig (and that Lincoln kid from last year's Kid's Week).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Didnt he set a record today? I thought I read he got the third highest single (adult) game win in the show's history. Just under Ken Jennings and Roger Craig (and that Lincoln kid from last year's Kid's Week).

According to the official Jeopardy Hall of Fame of highest one day totals, he just beat out a Ken Jennings score for number 3 on the list with $57k, if you don't count Skyler from Kids Week. Roger Craig and another Jennings score in the $70k amount overtake him. The list hasn't been updated yet, but I confirmed his score on J-Archive, which seems to have update his game rather quickly today...

Man, I guess I now know why he was so excited for his episodes on the Jeopardy Facebook page and constantly talking about them. I think he's also live tweeting his episodes, but I have no idea what his Twitter handle is.

Man, Michael is awesome, and I hope he wins enough games to make the Tournament of Champions.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Man, Michael is awesome, and I hope he wins enough games to make the Tournament of Champions.

Welp, guess I spoke too soon...

Bad bets on the Daily Doubles in Double Jeopardy did him in, which is a shame. Oh well, he still has third place on the One Day Winnings chart and something like $96k.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Wow, what a crash and burn.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Huh, according to the Final Wager, an episode of Celebrity Jeopardy was filmed on Tuesday, to be aired next month, around May 12th, to celebrate Jeopardy's 7000th episode milestone. Apparently, Keith found out who the contestants are for that episode from one of said contestant's Tweet: https://twitter.com/kevinolearytv/status/583089882593030145/.

Took me a while to place the last one, but one of those contestants is pretty recognizable. The replies to that tweet spell it all out if you're having trouble though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope Rodgers is uncatchable going into FJ

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Also, looking around the internet, there were two Jeopardy related April Fool's jokes I found. First one was by Jeopardy themselves, mentioning on their Facebook page (and maybe other places, I dunno) that they were hiring a Vanna White style assistant for Alex, responsible for revealing the clues, and that auditions would be soon. That was a pretty easy pick up though, since the board really is that high. Keith Williams was having fun with it, saying that contestants would probably start picking from the bottom of the categories as a courtesy, and that a cherry picker would be needed for the lower value amounts at the top of the board.

Speaking of Keith Williams, the other Jeopardy related April Fools joke was apparently orchestrated by his brother or something? I dunno, but someone set up Just Wager $4000, playing off of Keith's blog and YouTube video series The Final Wager, and got a bunch of well known former Jeopardy champions (including Arthur Chu, Sandie Baker, Julia Collins, Ben Ingram, Kristen Sausville, and Jon Pearson, the Teacher's Tournament Winner) to record some YouTube stuff hot it. Arthur's is hilarious, as is Ben's. Check all of it out if you have the time.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 2, 2015

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
I have a question for those that have been on the show. On today's episode, there was a weirdly worded question that seemed to ask what sacrament is required to receive Eucharist. A contestant answered Confirmation, got an affirmative from Alex, and I immediately knew that was not true.

Alex said something about it at the end of the episode but didn't really elaborate what exactly was wrong with the question...anyway, what would you do if you know something is blatantly wrong while filming? Do you start protesting then and there? Do you bring it up at commercial? There are corrections all the time, so I just wonder if people start immediately bitching as soon as they are docked or someone gets credit for something wrong.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrincessKate posted:

Alex said something about it at the end of the episode but didn't really elaborate what exactly was wrong with the question...anyway, what would you do if you know something is blatantly wrong while filming? Do you start protesting then and there? Do you bring it up at commercial? There are corrections all the time, so I just wonder if people start immediately bitching as soon as they are docked or someone gets credit for something wrong.

A friend of mine who was an ex-contestant:

quote:

...But in a general sense, yes, the production team doesn't like to interrupt game flow. With extremely rare exception, they'll stop to check a response only during commercial breaks, or after a Daily Double has been selected. Contestants can ask them to check a response during commercial breaks as well.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PrincessKate posted:

I have a question for those that have been on the show. On today's episode, there was a weirdly worded question that seemed to ask what sacrament is required to receive Eucharist. A contestant answered Confirmation, got an affirmative from Alex, and I immediately knew that was not true.

You tell a contestant coordinator during a commercial break. The production crew hands you little bottles of water and touches up your makeup, while Maggie, the Head Contestant Coordinator, comes over and asks you how you're doing during all the breaks. You can bring it up with her then.

And a question about Communion for a show to air on Good Friday, good timing.

Shame about Tom though. Had a decent enough lead going into Final, but then missed the clue. He was so excited after the John Quincy Adams clue about the Anti-Masonic Party, what with him being a FreeMason and all... I knew it after going off the hint towards Russia, jumping right to Belarus.

So many people salty on the Jeopardy Facebook page about the champs spelling of Byelorus and why it was accepted. The old spelling of the region's name was Byelorussia, pronounced basically the same as now. That's why the pronunciation doesn't change with that spelling.

Also, people coming out of the woodwork to complain about the Communion question as well right after they see it. Had to keep telling people that Alex apologizes at the end of the show. Why do I keep going back to that Facebook page anyway?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Byelorus is basically how you'd transliterate it from Russian, anyway.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Speaking of that episode, one hilariously wrong answer achieved some minor notoriety in the meme world: https://imgur.com/gallery/V8Hrv

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I'm a terrible New Yorker, as I missed the NYC Landmarks Final. To be fair, I've never been to the Chrysler Building, and my mind went to Grand Central, even though I know it has a different design in its main lobby. Then again, I should've maid the connection with Chrysler and transportation.

Champ is doing pretty decent at the moment. Let's see if she becomes a 5 time champ today.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Nice payday for Kerry. I had no chance on that Final.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I usually fast forward through the beginning and the interviews, so I just realized the champion is from nearby!

Go New Hampshire!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Good Schadenfreude today

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Kerry continues her streak, thanks to Kaya betting big on a Double Jeopardy clue and missing it. Knowing Final Jeopardy also helps, but after missing that big bet, it was a pretty big long shot for Kaya to pull it out. Still, she was playing pretty well right before that...

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

My DVR didn't record yesterday's because of the dumb Cubs :argh:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Kerry continues her streak, thanks to Kaya betting big on a Double Jeopardy clue and missing it. Knowing Final Jeopardy also helps, but after missing that big bet, it was a pretty big long shot for Kaya to pull it out. Still, she was playing pretty well right before that...

I think I would have bet big on that Daily Double given that category since I know all of the NBA teams and know a little Spanish. And I would have gotten it wrong too. I saw oro and I immediately answered Golden State.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I could translate most of the spanish pretty literally (I got "little gold" but had no idea what team that referrred to) but know so few American sports teams apart from hockey ones that I answered "Denver Broncos" for the first one and was surprised when it was wrong :(

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Does anyone else groan whenever they see a contestant introduced as an actor?

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
"Stay at home wife" (NOT mom) was the worst code for unemployed I've ever heard on the show.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

PrincessKate posted:

"Stay at home wife" (NOT mom) was the worst code for unemployed I've ever heard on the show.

"A freelancer from..."

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Dr Zaius posted:

Does anyone else groan whenever they see a contestant introduced as an actor?

That guy was pretty much Paul Lynde reincarnated, so I'm willing to give him a pass.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Kerry was awesome, shame to see her go. Still, we'll be seeing her in the ToC in the future, so there's that to cushion the blow.

Too bad Michael didn't make it that far, though...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This new guy owns

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Haha Alex's befuddlement over the second Daily Double was great

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SoupyTwist posted:

Haha Alex's befuddlement over the second Daily Double was great

Did he chug a quart of Nyquil before the show?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

This new guy owns

I want all Jeopardy players to act like stoned college students. That was hilarious.

Also "all of it" should be the only acceptable way to true Daily Double.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahaha yeah, that dude ruled.

The best was when he spent like 20 seconds deciding what to bet on one of the daily doubles. I couldn't even be mad at all the time he was wasting.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

Hahaha yeah, that dude ruled.

The best was when he spent like 20 seconds deciding what to bet on one of the daily doubles. I couldn't even be mad at all the time he was wasting.

I dunno, he left so many clues up there, mostly because people couldn't be bothered trying to figure out roman numerals... The pause with how long he took for a wager in that last Daily Double was killer as well, I thought he would've been better at doing math on the fly due to his job as a currency trader... Still, entertaining game. People online were complaining that he might've been trying to intentionally staff the game to keep his lead, though I didn't think so. He did breathe a sigh of relief when Double Jeopardy was over though, and it seemed like he wanted to avoid the roman numerals category altogether after being burned on the Daily Double. Can't say I blame him, though...

Final took me a while to get, because I didn't think that anyone would ever consider Rasputin a saint... Still, he was the most prominent early 20th Century Russian connected with religion I could think of, so... The champ had put it away by that point though, so there was no chance he'd lose unless he bet dumb, but I'm glad to see that he didn't. Would've had to rake him over the coals if he pulled a Cliff Clavin...

Surprised everyone missed the first clue with the Dear Virginia letter from the Sun. Pretty sure Macy's plays a commercial harkening back to that every year around Christmas, and an old reporter dude reads it on the air on like Christmas dad every year here in the New York local news. Pretty sure one of the contestants was from New York or its environs. Dunno how they could've missed that since it happens every drat year here...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

How did Alex make it as a poker player? Dude spent the entire game either visibly pissed off or confused.