Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Randy Death Rally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Shorter version of the Rand video:

Probably closer to this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah man, I always thought bringing back the half hour campaign commercial would be a cool idea, I just never wanted it to be done by someone awful like Rand. Way to kill the dream, dude.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Actually, Newt brought the 30 minute ad back in 2012 with his Vultures of Wall Street attack on Mitt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWnB9FGmWE

But I'm betting Rand's will be an uplifting biopic about him and the free market. Or, better idea: part one of a 10 part series of him reading the Galt speech.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Actually, Newt brought the 30 minute ad back in 2012 with his Vultures of Wall Street attack on Mitt.

But I'm betting Rand's will be an uplifting biopic about him and the free market. Or, better idea: part one of a 10 part series of him reading the Galt speech.

And Obama did one in 2008. OFA had saved a bunch of cash planning for a bruising endgame, but then between a surge in donations after Palin became more known and the collapse of the economy they just had a bunch and were like "gently caress it, use it or lose it"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

site posted:

Ah man, I always thought bringing back the half hour campaign commercial would be a cool idea, I just never wanted it to be done by someone awful like Rand. Way to kill the dream, dude.

I want the return of campaign/advertisement songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxYDTTNYMic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

And Obama did one in 2008. OFA had saved a bunch of cash planning for a bruising endgame, but then between a surge in donations after Palin became more known and the collapse of the economy they just had a bunch and were like "gently caress it, use it or lose it"
Wow, what the gently caress I'm way behind the times here.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Presidential campaign song started in 1840 with Harrison who was the first President to actively campaign for the office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxf5dTL3sg0

There was a great episode of Slate's Whistlestop podcast on it, detailing the ball and the hard cider. Worth a listen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

So Hillary is legally bound to announce within 15 days? I wouldn't have expected her announcement to come this early, so I'm very surprised by that report of her "campaign activity".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chamale posted:

So Hillary is legally bound to announce within 15 days? I wouldn't have expected her announcement to come this early, so I'm very surprised by that report of her "campaign activity".

I remember articles about the Clinton campaign looking at property in Brooklyn a month or two ago, so either it's just coincidental timing that it's getting official now or they planned on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chamale posted:

She will need to file Form 2 with the FEC in the next 15 days or someone will be able to file a complaint with the FEC.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Chamale posted:

Depends which legal entity signed for it, but probably.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

She will need to file Form 2 with the FEC in the next 15 days or someone will be able to file a complaint with the FEC.

Ole' Savior 2016

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
Isn't this really good timing on Hillary's part then? Any momentum Ted Cruz and Rand Paul (and Marco Rubio, almost forgot him) might have had as far as press coverage would be stopped the second the media jumped on the Hillary train.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If Hillary is spending a single microsecond sweating Ted Cruz and Rand Paul's "momentum", her campaign is in dire trouble.

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
I think it's the other way around - Cruz and Paul would be sweating over having their press coverage shrink to nothing when she announces. I doubt she's concerned at all. But the timing would be good nonetheless.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm struggling to figure out why more press coverage on Ted Cruz and Rand Paul is at all a bad thing for Hillary. Every day that passes with either of them still thinking they have a chance makes a Dem victory more likely and I will be a sad liberal when they stop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

If Hillary is spending a single microsecond sweating Ted Cruz and Rand Paul's "momentum", her campaign is in dire trouble.

Plus, if anything, everyone at the Clinton Campaign is praying for Cruz and Paul to have endless momentum in the primary.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Trolling would be Clinton filing Form 2 at 8AM of April 7 without an announcement.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

badatom posted:

Isn't this really good timing on Hillary's part then? Any momentum Ted Cruz and Rand Paul (and Marco Rubio, almost forgot him) might have had as far as press coverage would be stopped the second the media jumped on the Hillary train.

The only thing Cruz is going to accomplish is making Bush's ride to the nomination easier by splitting the tea party / religious vote. I think she'll only be concentrated on Bush.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lote posted:

Trolling would be Clinton filing Form 2 at 8AM of April 7 without an announcement.

I hope she does precisely that - effortlessly throwing overwhelming shade at those fuckers will drive them even further into their fart-smelling depravity, which only helps her.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama can easily hand the win to Hilliary simply by doing ~thing~ and having the Republican nominee/nominees have a melt down about it.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Venom Snake posted:

Obama can easily hand the win to Hilliary simply by doing ~thing~ and having the Republican nominee/nominees have a melt down about it.

Alternatively the economy can go into a recession as the election nears and make it really hard for Hillary to win.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Venom Snake posted:

On Monday, January 26, President Obama will give a speech in the Rose Garden about how great a guy Jeb Bush is. On Monday, November 7, he will give a speech about how great he thinks voting is.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
How is anyone this stupid? How how how? How does even one single person click like on my comment about Ted Cruz being prayed into the white house?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mitt Romney posted:

Alternatively the economy can go into a recession as the election nears and make it really hard for Hillary to win.

It could be raining burning acid and If Obama asked people to stay safe and don't go outside the entire Republican clown car would hold press conferences outside and die of acid cancer death just to spite him and get up in the polls.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
Wasn't there a recession in 87 or 88?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Joementum posted:

This is a goldmine:

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/160/15031401160/15031401160.pdf

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/954/15031401954/15031401954.pdf

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/365/12030751365/12030751365.pdf

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 4, 2015

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

eternalname posted:

Wasn't there a recession in 87 or 88?

There was, but I seem to remember the worst of it hitting after Bush I was already in office. It basically lost him his second term.

echronorian posted:

How does even one single person click like on my comment about Ted Cruz being prayed into the white house?

IIRC this was exactly how Huckabee supporters thought he was going to win in 2008.

Improper Umlaut fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 4, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I mostly remember 1988 as the year the savings and loan crisis became a daily thing on the news.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I mostly remember 1988 as the year the savings and loan crisis became a daily thing on the news.

Oh that's right! I was about 8 or 9 years old at the time but I remember the bailout being fairly well received by the general public (I could be totally wrong about that).

Antti posted:

This is a goldmine:

I liked this one as well
http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/487/13031021487/13031021487.pdf

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Images like this always make me glad I don't live in an early primary state. :unsmith:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

Images like this always make me glad I don't live in an early primary state. :unsmith:

Why the gently caress do GOP fringe candidates have so much trouble putting together a basic suit :barf:

baw fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 4, 2015

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

baw posted:

Why the gently caress do GOP fringe candidates have so much trouble putting together a basic suit :barf:

I think it's intentional. If you wear a sharp bespoke suit in the Heartland, you'll come across as a coastal elitist. You want something that doesn't fit quite right and doesn't look too fancy.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

more friedman units posted:

I think it's intentional. If you wear a sharp bespoke suit in the Heartland, you'll come across as a coastal elitist. You want something that doesn't fit quite right and doesn't look too fancy.

depends where you're goin'

there are places where you need to wear Good Sharp Church Clothes

baw
Nov 5, 2008

So he has to be folksy or whatever but between him and Rand Paul I'm beginning to associate terrible fashion choices with terrible political beliefs

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PupsOfWar posted:

depends where you're goin'

there are places where you need to wear Good Sharp Church Clothes

In that picture, Cruz is at an all-you-can-eat BBQ buffet, which does seem like a place where you might not want to wear your best clothes.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

is he in iowa or in new hampshire?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The "all you can eat BBQ buffet" is obviously a South Carolina thing, c'mon.

more friedman units posted:

The winner of the 2012 Iowa caucuses:

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

In that picture, Cruz is at an all-you-can-eat BBQ buffet, which does seem like a place where you might not want to wear your best clothes.

There is a difference between your best clothes and whatever the gently caress he is doing there. Good-quality practical clothes almost always look good.

Don't make excuses for him Joe. He is a disgrace.

• Locked thread