Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parachute posted:

No I mean like where they would actually cut away to a sit-down interview at any point, really. I definitely remember a lot of the in-the-act exposition the lead would give.

ah. I feel like there are a few of those? it's been a long minute since I've seen the movie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ah. I feel like there are a few of those? it's been a long minute since I've seen the movie too.

There are a couple sit down interviews like in the cafe and stuff but the whole film is "unedited" so it doesn't have any of the polish one usually associates with mockumentaries. It's all presented as rough footage which is why I guess it gets caught up in the "found footage" genre occasionally.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The line between found footage movie and mockumentary can sometimes be very thin.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

VHS 2 and 3 sucks, I'm glad we could all agree on this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I can't agree on that. V/H/S/2 is better than either V/H/S or Viral. It's the closest to being a new media version of Creepshow. The other two are basically just Videodrome, once writ too small, then again writ too large.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Chichevache posted:

I saw it in theaters :420: and I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Definitely worth watching if you'd like a good laugh. There were some pretty funny scenes in it. Nina Dobrev is fine as hell too.

Yeah, I was pretty :350: too which seems almost necessary for this movie. And god drat she really is fine.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

American Netflix? It's only giving me suggestions based on Let's Be Cops.

I thought I had my VPN on US Netflix but I guess it was on Canadian. We get random stuff. :shrug:

GonSmithe posted:

Let's Be Cops is pretty vile.

I mean, I understand not finding the movie funny, but vile? That's just harsh. Although I'm not gonna lie, the movie came out at a terrible time for cops in the US.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Doubleposting because

ravenkult posted:

VHS 2 and 3 sucks, I'm glad we could all agree on this.

is so goddamn false I can't wrap my head around it. VHS2 is thoroughly entertaining, even through the weakest segment (Honeymoon) and Viral is 3/4ths good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mash posted:

Doubleposting because

is so goddamn false I can't wrap my head around it. VHS2 is thoroughly entertaining, even through the weakest segment (Honeymoon) and Viral is 3/4ths good.

Honeymoon is from the first one

not only can we not agree which of the movies were good, we can't agree which of the movies were which

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not only can we not agree which of the movies were good, we can't agree which of the movies were which

I just woke up gimme a break :v:

Certain segments from VHS 1 and 2 blur together for me, probably because I've only ever watched them back to back.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Slumber Party Alien Abduction.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Honeymoon and the alien dog camera one are the worst segments of their respective movies.

Honeymoon is like someone decided to make a new Tales of the Unexpected but forgot to add any wit or charm. Alien dog is just bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They're more like if someone wanted to make an extremely good movie, and an extremely cool one, in that order.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ozmunkeh posted:

Honeymoon and the alien dog camera one are the worst segments of their respective movies.

Honeymoon is like someone decided to make a new Tales of the Unexpected but forgot to add any wit or charm. Alien dog is just bad.

Agreed. Slumber Party and Honeymoon are the worst two in the series, for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honeymoon is the second best of the first, and SPAA is the second worst of the second. or does that confuse you?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Honeymoon is the second best of the first, and SPAA is the second worst of the second. or does that confuse you?

I plan on watching Viral this weekend and hopefully will be able to work out which is the third best of the second worst movie. Wish me luck.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think I like all the shorts besides Wingard and Barrett's in the second.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
God's Not Dead was the best hatewatch I've seen in a while. It's heavy handed even for a Christian film with a strong agenda.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best part is how it's not enough that Kevin Sorbo is an awful atheist, he is also literally evil and makes menacing supervillain speeches about how he's going to destroy the kid's entire life.

And the premise is just him saying "FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS CLASS let's agree that God is Dead so we can talk about other philosophy" and somehow this is an outrage that WILL NOT STAND. Like he seriously tells the kid "dude I don't care if you pray tonight or whatever I'm just saying FOR THIS CLASS let's skip the argument entirely". I think that's pretty reasonable

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Fun fact: Some fundamentalists got mad at God's Not Dead for acknowledging that the Big Bang happened.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Netflix has devolved badly in the last 3-5 years. I know it's not their fault but the catalog is now like 85% B-class documentaries/documercials, horror sequels, and occasionally a good movie or TV show. It seems like they hardly add anything older than 30 years ago to the streaming catalog anymore.

What I want is pretty much the streaming equivalent of channels like TCM, but most older films are only streamable a la carte on services like Amazon and VUDU. There is the Warner Archive but that is pretty B-quality stuff and they know it. Hulu is good for the Criterion Collection, but what do you do when you want to watch older movies that are... I dunno, middlebrow? Like old musicals, comedies, etc.?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Netflix has devolved badly in the last 3-5 years. I know it's not their fault but the catalog is now like 85% B-class documentaries/documercials, horror sequels, and occasionally a good movie or TV show. It seems like they hardly add anything older than 30 years ago to the streaming catalog anymore.

What I want is pretty much the streaming equivalent of channels like TCM, but most older films are only streamable a la carte on services like Amazon and VUDU. There is the Warner Archive but that is pretty B-quality stuff and they know it. Hulu is good for the Criterion Collection, but what do you do when you want to watch older movies that are... I dunno, middlebrow? Like old musicals, comedies, etc.?

There's a fair amount of old sci-fi on there that I have really enjoyed. Amazon Prime has some deep cuts from the 60s that are kind of in the exploitation realm, but all stuff I had never heard of before.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

neonnoodle posted:

Netflix is a goldmine for indie and foreign genre films. Literally the entire catalogue of past Fantastic Fest entries has been on instant at one point or another.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

neonnoodle posted:

I don't think they expected your generation to patronize their service.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

neonnoodle posted:

You could borrow someone's WatchTCM password.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

neonnoodle posted:

That's not exactly true. Movies like Marty, The Apartment and The Hustler were added just a couple months ago. They added a number of old westerns a few months before that. It's not the most common category they add, but there's always some decent selection that's older than 30 years.

If you're really looking for alternatives, you could also look at the lists of old movies that get uploaded to Youtube. Most of it is :filez:, but some of it is public domain stuff like Suddenly. And some of it is stuff that isn't public domain but has slipped through the rights ownership cracks over the years and never came out to DVD, so it's still the only way to see those movies short of finding old VHS tapes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

morestuff posted:

You could borrow someone's WatchTCM password.

WatchTCM has a good variety (it's just every TCM movie from the last 7 days on demand). I wish it was in HD though, and that it was viewable on something other than PC or phone. Hell, it doesn't even support Chromecast. I had to run an HDMI cable from my PC to my TV.

Some of the best stuff TCM shows is in the middle of the night. Being able to watch that stuff on demand is great. I dread the day that I finally cut the cord and lose access to TCM.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
A season of Iron Chef America is up. :dance:

Like all Food Network stuff, it's a bunch of random episodes from the various seasons.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A poo poo ton of Jack Lemmon movies and a huge helping of Hitchcock would make me love NF more. The Sci Fi department is lacking too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched VHS Viral, and I wanted to stopped at Bonestorm because nothing will get better than that. (It didn't)

Those kids owned. They're dicks, but they sorta won me over when they gave the homeless dude the bar and the cigarette, and then completely won me over when they started kicking rear end. Horror protagonists fighting back will never not be awesome to me.

I guess everything was alright. But Bonestorm was fun.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I love basically all of the first two VHS movies and my favorite bit is still the bro rape short from the first one.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

morestuff posted:

I think someone (Hundu?) recommended Snow on tha Bluff as something along those lines. I saw it was up on Netflix, I'll hit it eventually.

I loving love Snow on tha Bluff. It's absolutely up there with the best found footage.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

I love basically all of the first two VHS movies and my favorite bit is still the bro rape short from the first one.

The bro rape short was the best. Sets up the tone, and legitimately creeped me out. Everything else has been hit or miss after that one.

"I like you."

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Leper Residue posted:

Like all Food Network stuff, it's a bunch of random episodes from the various seasons.

The chairman wasn't near dramatic enough in Iron Chef America. They really let the storylines go by the wayside.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Franchescanado posted:

The bro rape short was the best. Sets up the tone, and legitimately creeped me out. Everything else has been hit or miss after that one.

"I like you."

Hands down the best individual scene in the series for me. My fiance and I stay still have fun quoting that to each other.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
D-D-DDOUBLE POST

I am less than 3 minutes into the movie, but I highly recommend Wolfcop to everyone who is currently breathing. This movie is clearly a modern masterpiece and not watching it is like pissing on the Mona Lisa.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Dreamcatcher showed up recently on canadian Netflix. It's surprisingly not terrible if you approach it as a light buddy comedy. Special effects hold up well, the cast is doing a good job, even the plot is moving along with purpose.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leper Residue posted:

Why would you watch this unless you've already watched the hundreds of Japanese episodes on YouTube though? Maybe it got better eventually but I recall Iron Chef America being really weak when I tried it out. The original still owns though.

e: Three Kings got added recently if you want to see a really good funny and cool movie about the war in the Middle East pre-9/11 and also Marky Mark and Ice Cube and George Clooney being funny

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

iv46vi posted:

Dreamcatcher showed up recently on canadian Netflix. It's surprisingly not terrible if you approach it as a light buddy comedy. Special effects hold up well, the cast is doing a good job, even the plot is moving along with purpose.

Dreamcatcher has the exact same appeal as Wolfcop, but was made as a serious adaption to a garbage Steven King novel. Dreamcatcher has a mind boggling cast for the kind of stupid movie it is. I think Morgan Freeman must have just said gently caress it and dialed up the hammy acting as hard as he possible could. His eyebrows, at the very least, are up to 11.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

iv46vi posted:

Dreamcatcher is my favorite comedy outside of Tango and Cash. It even had Morgan Freeman stink out loud in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

iv46vi posted:

I thought you said Dreamscape and was hoping to see how well it held up.