Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah, he shows his hand now. This whole enterprise seems to exist to keep Annie out of the forest. I was right, he's clearly being placed as a manipulative influence over Annie--she won't respect anyone but his authority, after all. Seperating her from Kat helps with that as well. I wonder why they'd go through the effort though. Are they concerned that Annie wouldn't listen to them? Or is the status quo important to preserve, and Annie's success as Forest Medium threatens that?

Mysterious. I see Antimony either standing up to her father here or we have a chapter of flashbacks before she decides to fight back. Her blindness regarding her father's misdeeds regarding her has been a major character issue and that seems poised to be resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He is not cartoonishly evil, but he is an extremely powerful antagonist, because this story is about emotions and he is causing a lot of those right now for the main character.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I don't think it's too hard to reconcile "Anthony has an agenda here" with "Anthony is incapable of processing feelings". He has feelings, to be sure (hell, we've seen robots having feelings, it was the plot of the last chapter and everything), he's just cripplingly-unable to deal with them, in himself or anyone else. I think that's actually why he came across as (and frankly, was) manipulative up through the end of the class period: his goal wasn't to single out Annie for humiliation and make the rest of the class resent her for costing them time, it was to remove her from an emotional context (father-daughter) and place her in a strictly professional one (teacher-student). This isn't some brilliant stratagem, it was him experiencing feelings and dealing with them by making them go away; same with the instructions for the rest of the class to keep quiet while Annie was out.

Then, the moment class is over, he starts with [canned_parental_speech.disappointment()], and gets visibly upset/angry when anything (the subject of his arm, Kat eavesdropping, Annie protesting that she works for the Forest) forces him off-script. Because that's what this is: a script, and I'm betting that other people were right when they guessed that it's Headmaster Llanwellyn's script.

None of which makes him any less of a tosser for doing this to his daughter, to say nothing of having abandoned her for four years, but it's the difference between "Anthony, you monster! :argh:" and "God dammit, Tony :ughh:"

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Seriously, besides this newest thing about 'No I don't want you hanging out with those forest boys!' he's not said anything wrong, factually or for what's good for Annie. He's a bit of a tosser, not the new hitler.

Yeah, this is my take on it. He's been an emotionally incompetent rear end in a top hat about it, but everything he's done is consistent with wanting the best for Antimony. Parents don't ground kids, forbid them from wearing make-up, or make them repeat schoolyears solely because they're pricks.

Also, how long has Anthony been back at the court? How recently did he find out that Antimony had been cheating in every class?

Because say, for example, that your wife dies, and your daughter is going to die of the same thing. You love your daughter, and you become consumed with the need to save her. Being characterised by trust in the scientific method and specifically not magic (which failed to save your wife and dismissed the issue as the natural way of things), you head out into the world and use your academic skillset to try and cure the condition. OK, maybe you don't handle the actual leaving-your-daughter-in-someone-else's-care thing all that adeptly, but you're innately terrible at doing emotion things and there's not a lot you can do about your own emotional make-up. And hey, maybe you just don't want to scare the poo poo out of your daughter by telling her she's a fire spirit who's going to die if she ever tries to have a baby.

So you disappear and spend three years desperately trying to cure your daughter's inevitable magic cancer. You come back after this work, and you suddenly get the bombshell dropped on you that her academic work is total poo poo, she's a plagiarist, a liar, skips detentions, flagrantly ignores all the rules that have been put in place for her safety, and has thrown in with Coyote, who probably told Anthony to go piss up a rope when (I'm speculating here) Anthony came to him and asked for help saving Surma.

Why wouldn't Anthony be absolutely furious? He's not being abusive, he's reacting to the revelation that his daughter is apparently a lousy student who is going to get herself killed one way or another. Why wouldn't he feel it appropriate to punish her? And ask any (regular, non-abusive) parent - one of the most effective ways to punish a kid for misbehaving is to embarrass the poo poo out them in front of their friends over it.

He's not a monster. He's a strict dad with (as far as he can tell) a lovely kid, who needs drastic course correction.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Inglonias posted:

That was basically the only emotion we've seen or heard from this rear end in a top hat so far.

And that assumes it was emotion. That was conveniently ambiguous wording on Donald's part. What if a recording of her voice was a necessary component of Annie's bone surgery?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Have you heard the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"? Because no matter how much you want to help your daughter, vanishing for a really long time with nigh zero contact means that you are being a lovely dad. Showing up and deriding her in front of a class full of her friends makes you a lovely dad and a lovely teacher.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Carver is intervening after he found out that the boarding school he sent Annie to completely failed to educate hee outside of two subjects, despite receiving high scoring report cards for years.

"If only I had been there for her, how do I make this right" seems like a reasonable motivation right now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad that Annie is getting her just deserts for flagrantly abusing the trust of her best friend.

Also lmao at all the goons thinking that anyone who doesn't wear their emotions on their sleeve must be autistic.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
Usually when we characterize someone as a strict parent they're not literally absent from their child's life for 3 straight years, though. The other side of being a strict parent is that you're paying close attention to your child. Even if that attention may seem negative, you're involved. You expect them to behave a certain way because you've spent time teaching them to behave that way.

If this moment came after 3 years of him trying to get her to behave better and her obstinately going her own way, it would be more understandable. Earned, even.

And maybe (probably!) his behavior is explained by how hyper-rational and emotionally stunted he is. Maybe (again, probably!) he really is trying to do the optimal thing for his daughter and he's calculated that he stands a better chance of saving her life if he stops wasting time on playing the role of a father and invests all of his time and effort into finding a cure. Maybe (PRO-BA-BLY) he actually has her best interests in mind.

That doesn't matter. Lots of villainous people in fiction have perfectly rational or noble motivations for their behavior. The fact is, this is a guy who abandoned his obligations as a father for 3 years and then as soon as he reentered his child's life immediately set about humiliating and scolding her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Anthony's emotions aren't just not on his sleeve; they're in a box, in an egg, in a duck, on an island, somewhere in Russia.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The vibe I'm getting from Anthony is that he's going to put Annie through the GC equivalent of homeschooling. Does anyone else get that feeling?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So, worst dad, Anthony Carver or Martin Mertens?

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Elysiume posted:

Have you heard the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"? Because no matter how much you want to help your daughter, vanishing for a really long time with nigh zero contact means that you are being a lovely dad. Showing up and deriding her in front of a class full of her friends makes you a lovely dad and a lovely teacher.

Hey, I'm not saying Anthony's the ideal dad, or even one of the better dads to have. But he's not a lovely dad. 'lovely' carries the connotations of laziness, indifference, or an active pattern of conscious physical and emotional abuse. Anthony hasn't demonstrated any of this. He clearly cares about Antimony. He's not necessarily good at being a dad, but he's actively working to improve Antimony's lot, even if that doesn't necessarily mesh with her or our opinions on what's good for her.

Incidentally, I've never liked nor agreed with the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". It's only ever used to make someone feel bad for doing the best they can. In the absence of omniscience, good intentions are all we have.

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

Usually when we characterize someone as a strict parent they're not literally absent from their child's life for 3 straight years, though. The other side of being a strict parent is that you're paying close attention to your child. Even if that attention may seem negative, you're involved. You expect them to behave a certain way because you've spent time teaching them to behave that way.

If this moment came after 3 years of him trying to get her to behave better and her obstinately going her own way, it would be more understandable. Earned, even.

And maybe (probably!) his behavior is explained by how hyper-rational and emotionally stunted he is. Maybe (again, probably!) he really is trying to do the optimal thing for his daughter and he's calculated that he stands a better chance of saving her life if he stops wasting time on playing the role of a father and invests all of his time and effort into finding a cure. Maybe (PRO-BA-BLY) he actually has her best interests in mind.

That doesn't matter. Lots of villainous people in fiction have perfectly rational or noble motivations for their behavior. The fact is, this is a guy who abandoned his obligations as a father for 3 years and then as soon as he reentered his child's life immediately set about humiliating and scolding her.

Oh, yeah, totally. You're right on all points. But I don't think that that makes him an abusive father or a lovely person, which is what people have been arguing. I wouldn't call him a villain so much as an antagonist. He's not being nasty - he's just wrong about some things.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 4, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Faux Mulder posted:

Hey, I'm not saying Anthony's the ideal dad, or even one of the better dads to have. But he's not a lovely dad. 'lovely' carries the connotations of laziness, indifference, or an active pattern of conscious physical and emotional abuse. Anthony hasn't demonstrated any of this. He clearly cares about Antimony. He's not necessarily good at being a dad, but he's actively working to improve Antimony's lot, even if that doesn't necessarily mesh with her or our opinions on what's good for her.

I dunno it's pretty lovely to basically try and ostracize your daughter or even a student from a class for an innocuous mistake (by making the entire class suffer for her Wearing makeup) when from the framing it wasn't mentioned beforehand at all.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Faux Mulder posted:

'lovely' carries the connotations of laziness, indifference, or an active pattern of conscious physical and emotional abuse. Anthony hasn't demonstrated any of this.

What about when he literally performed some kind of weird magic surgery on her without her consent or knowledge?

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Stormgale posted:

I dunno it's pretty lovely to basically try and ostracize your daughter or even a student from a class for an innocuous mistake (by making the entire class suffer for her Wearing makeup) when from the framing it wasn't mentioned beforehand at all.

He embarrassed her, he didn't try to ostracise her. No sane adult would assume that the rest of the class would somehow turn against her over that issue.

And kids wearing make-up is a fairly standard thing for both teachers and parents to object to. Girls who showed up to class wearing make-up at my secondary school would be sent home to wash it off.

Heliotrope posted:

What about when he literally performed some kind of weird magic surgery on her without her consent or knowledge?

We have no idea what was actually happening there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Faux Mulder posted:

And kids wearing make-up is a fairly standard thing for both teachers and parents to object to. Girls who showed up to class wearing make-up at my secondary school would be sent home to wash it off.

:psyduck: This is literally something I never saw happen in any school I grew up in. Like that sounds insane to me, if a teacher at my school did that to a girl, I feel like most parents would be like "uh what the gently caress?" and the teacher would at least hear from them. The comic is complicated obviously because he's also happens to be her parent, but no I would say it's not fairly standard at all.

I think it's weird that there are people saying he's not a lovely dad. He is a lovely dad, and this stuff he's doing to her right now is lovely, even if she had been cheating on her homework. This would be a completely different situation if he hadn't been absent from her life, but he has.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It is fairly standard, particularly in schools with uniforms. Same with boy hair length.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Faux Mulder posted:

He embarrassed her, he didn't try to ostracise her. No sane adult would assume that the rest of the class would somehow turn against her over that issue.

The making the class wait in silence for her to come back is to embarrass/distance a Troublemaker from the rest of the class which is how it was used when I was growing up entirely (notably the "If someone isn't caught for an infraction the whole group is punished)#

And yes it may be fairly common in schools but not at Gunnerkrigg as she has been allowed to wear it in every class, his is the only one where this is a rule and basically embarrassing her for it without warning is still a bad thing.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: This is literally something I never saw happen in any school I grew up in. Like that sounds insane to me, if a teacher at my school did that to a girl, I feel like most parents would be like "uh what the gently caress?" and the teacher would at least hear from them. The comic is complicated obviously because he's also happens to be her parent, but no I would say it's not fairly standard at all.

Maybe it's a UK/US thing? I don't think it would surprise many people in the UK. My school (a fairly bog-standard state-run one) had moderately strict uniform rules which specified against make-up, jewellery, certain hairstyles and colourings, that sort of stuff.

Stormgale posted:

And yes it may be fairly common in schools but not at Gunnerkrigg as she has been allowed to wear it in every class, his is the only one where this is a rule and basically embarrassing her for it without warning is still a bad thing.

Yeah, it's a bit over the top, but I think the root of it is that he's seething mad (and not without reason) and this is part of the punishment. It's his way of communicating to Antimony how angry he is with her. It's probably not the healthiest way of doing it, but... Anthony Carver.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blackheart posted:

It is fairly standard, particularly in schools with uniforms. Same with boy hair length.

I've always found the entire culture of uniforms and dress codes in certain schools pretty regressive. Like, 1834 regressive. I guess if you grew up with it it doesn't seem like such a big deal, but it's just nutso to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Faux Mulder posted:

Maybe it's a UK/US thing? I don't think it would surprise many people in the UK. My school (a fairly bog-standard state-run one) had moderately strict uniform rules which specified against make-up, jewellery, certain hairstyles and colourings, that sort of stuff.

It could be a US/UK thing, and I never went to a private school so there is that as well.

Regardless, Stormgale is right in that it's never been an issue for the school before, this is an Anthony rule

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In the US, it's particularly common in private schools, but also in public schools depending on the region. It all depends on how strict parents are willing to let the schools be about that kind of thing.

Where I live a student actually getting sent home for something as minor a dress code infraction would be unheard of and would result in angry parents. Public schools have sometimes tried to introduce uniforms but they can't actually force students to wear them, especially if their parents don't want them to.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Faux Mulder posted:

or an active pattern of conscious physical and emotional abuse.

On this point I have to disagree. Being physically or emotionally abusive unintentionally, because you're ill-fit to be a parent for whatever reason, does not exempt you from being a "lovely parent." Plenty of lovely parents think they're doing what's best for their child.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Faux Mulder posted:

Incidentally, I've never liked nor agreed with the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". It's only ever used to make someone feel bad for doing the best they can. In the absence of omniscience, good intentions are all we have.
It's kind of cheating to say there's no pattern of abuse because he took a multi-year sabbatical from parenthood and indefinitely dropped his kid off at boarding school. Short-term, withholding affection is a pretty commonly recognized form of emotional abuse, and publicly humiliating your kid would also arguably fall into that category.

I don't really agree with how you're interpreting the saying. The point is that good intentions aren't enough. You need to actually do the good thing, and it needs to actually be good, for you to have done a good thing. If a parent beats their kid to try to bring them into line, their intentions are good but they're being a terrible parent.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Faux Mulder posted:

Yeah, it's a bit over the top, but I think the root of it is that he's seething mad (and not without reason) and this is part of the punishment. It's his way of communicating to Antimony how angry he is with her. It's probably not the healthiest way of doing it, but... Anthony Carver.

Yes but my point this is the definition of being a lovely parent? Especially if your job has you have power over your kid you shouldn't be using that to exercise your anger at them?

Macaluso posted:

Regardless, Stormgale is right in that it's never been an issue for the school before, this is an Anthony rule

I'm going to savor this for the rest of my life.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

On this point I have to disagree. Being physically or emotionally abusive unintentionally, because you're ill-fit to be a parent for whatever reason, does not exempt you from being a "lovely parent." Plenty of lovely parents think they're doing what's best for their child.

Stormgale posted:

Yes but my point this is the definition of being a lovely parent? Especially if your job has you have power over your kid you shouldn't be using that to exercise your anger at them?

Sure, I don't disagree, but I think we're getting caught up on the definition of 'lovely' here. To clarify, I don't think that Anthony is a good dad, but I find it difficult to think of him as a bad guy. From what we've been shown, and what we haven't been shown, my impression is that he is and has been doing what he reasonably believes is best for Antimony. And yeah, this isn't the healthiest way of dealing with his anger, but he's a human being. Adults get angry and yell at kids all the time. Doesn't mean they're terrible unredeemable assholes.

Elysiume posted:

It's kind of cheating to say there's no pattern of abuse because he took a multi-year sabbatical from parenthood and indefinitely dropped his kid off at boarding school. Short-term, withholding affection is a pretty commonly recognized form of emotional abuse, and publicly humiliating your kid would also arguably fall into that category.

Neither sending a child to boarding school nor embarrassing them in front of their friends constitute emotional abuse.

Lurdiak posted:

I've always found the entire culture of uniforms and dress codes in certain schools pretty regressive. Like, 1834 regressive. I guess if you grew up with it it doesn't seem like such a big deal, but it's just nutso to me.

The idea is that if you have a uniform, the poor kids who can't afford expensive clothes don't get bullied by those who can.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 4, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Faux Mulder posted:

Neither sending a child to boarding school nor embarrassing them in front of their friends constitute emotional abuse.
loving :lol: at calling what Anthony did "sending a child to boarding school," jesus christ

"hey buddy just dropping you off at school see you in six years"

"nah don't bother giving me your phone number it's cool"

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 4, 2015

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Elysiume posted:

loving :lol: at calling what Anthony did "sending a child to boarding school," jesus christ

Sorry, maybe I'm misremembering some details here. What else did he do?

And, uh, you sound like you're getting a little bit mad about this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Faux Mulder posted:

And, uh, you sound like you're getting a little bit mad about this.

He hasn't contacted her once until this moment. Since her mother died.

He sent his daughter to boarding school immediately after the loss of her mother, and then never contacted her again for years.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Faux Mulder posted:

Abandoned her.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Faux Mulder posted:

Sure, I don't disagree, but I think we're getting caught up on the definition of 'lovely' here. To clarify, I don't think that Anthony is a good dad, but I find it difficult to think of him as a bad guy. From what we've been shown, and what we haven't been shown, my impression is that he is and has been doing what he reasonably believes is best for Antimony. And yeah, this isn't the healthiest way of dealing with his anger, but he's a human being. Adults get angry and yell at kids all the time. Doesn't mean they're terrible unredeemable assholes.

I just think he's a lovely parent. As much as you hate "The road to hell is paved in good intensions" inversely all the good intentions in the world don't make some actions tolerable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey that's not true.

He called her up once with a shopping list.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Faux Mulder posted:

The idea is that if you have a uniform, the poor kids who can't afford expensive clothes don't get bullied by those who can.

I very briefly went to a private school with uniforms. That poo poo does not work. Also wow there was a lot of drug dealing at that school.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

He hasn't contacted her once until this moment. Since her mother died.

He sent his daughter to boarding school immediately after the loss of her mother, and then never contacted her again for years.

Oh right, yeah, OK. I did sort of mention that earlier on, but yeah, that's lovely.

But again, remember - we don't know what he was doing out there. There may be a good reason that he couldn't contact Antimony sooner.

I mean, the other thing of it is, this is a fictional mystery story. Like, isn't it obvious to everybody else that there's something much deeper going on that we're not privy to yet, and that given that the only times we ever see Anthony he's being overtly presented as an rear end in a top hat, part of the deeper thing is probably that he's not really that much of an rear end in a top hat?

Lurdiak posted:

I very briefly went to a private school with uniforms. That poo poo does not work. Also wow there was a lot of drug dealing at that school.

Yeah, I don't know about private schools, they have their own issues. It worked at my school with regards to clothes, to the extent I can tell, but kids will always find other poo poo to pick on each other about.

Edit: Also, do we know what the actual timespan was between Surma's death, Antimony's move to the Court, and Anthony's leaving? Do we know the extent of the communication between Antimony and Anthony after Surma's death? I don't remember any mentions, and I don't quite believe it was none.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 4, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The reason he has done to Annie what he did is because he loves her. Part of the reason why this is a story is to explain how this is possible.

Please remember the main words that this comic is about.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Faux Mulder posted:

But again, remember - we don't know what he was doing out there. There may be a good reason that he couldn't contact Antimony sooner.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Faux Mulder posted:

I mean, the other thing of it is, this is a fictional mystery story. Like, isn't it obvious to everybody else that there's something much deeper going on that we're not privy to yet, and that given that the only times we ever see Anthony he's being an rear end in a top hat, the deeper thing is probably that he's not really that much of an rear end in a top hat?

It's likely that he was doing things he thinks are important. That still doesn't justify his behavior.

It's going to be an important part of this story for Annie to come to the realization that the pedestal she places her father on isn't one he deserves. I think there are going to be more redeeming aspects of his character that will be revealed as we go along, but the way that Annie constantly excuses his cold and distant behavior is indication that we're also going to see her relationship with him change. Both things will be interesting to see play out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Hey that's not true.

He called her up once with a shopping list.

Which was actually a coded message for satellite coordinates so he could do Space Magic Surgery on his daughter's soul.

Tony has mental issues and he's absolutely, undeniably an unfit parent whatever his intentions might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Faux Mulder posted:

Yeah, I don't know about private schools, they have their own issues. It worked at my school with regards to clothes, to the extent I can tell, but kids will always find other poo poo to pick on each other about.

It was just really easy to tell who was rich and who wasn't, is all I'm saying.