Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also Wendy has hooves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

qnqnx posted:

please, this is no place for your fetishes
Don't tell me that, tell TenaciousJ.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

sharrrk posted:

banjo-kazooie don't deserve to be in smash

I will end you

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
WayForward just sent an email to the Shantae backers saying they'd love to see her in Smash, complete with alternate outfit concepts. That kind of support is probably the best way for any third party character to be added, and I'd love to see Shantae show up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"I’m not going to have just any character participate from other companies” -Masahiro Sakurai

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dresh posted:

WayForward just sent an email to the Shantae backers saying they'd love to see her in Smash, complete with alternate outfit concepts. That kind of support is probably the best way for any third party character to be added, and I'd love to see Shantae show up.

Eh, I don't know. Shantae is an alright game but something about the character herself always struck me as kinda skeevy, and it's not the fact that I'm pretty sure Bozon has a genie fetish.

Besides, Shovel Knight is the superior Indie character.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Shovel Knight should be in the game with Shield Knight as an ice climbers duo.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

shantae would own but she will never be in smash 4

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shantae would not be a good fit for Smash 4, a game which turned all of its prior transforming characters into individual, non-changing ones.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm pretty sure any third party characters are going to continue to be massive names from massive franchises. We're talking dates-back-to-the-NES stuff like FF and Castlevania as the series that are likely to be next in line. Look at Pacman, Sonic, Megaman, and ask "is Shantae on that level?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

Shantae would not be a good fit for Smash 4, a game which turned all of its prior transforming characters into individual, non-changing ones.
She could work like Shulk, but also I don't know who she is.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Shantae could be the new Pokemon Trainer.

But so can Tingle.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pokemon Trainer should come back but fight without Pokemon.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The pokemon do not need a trainer to find fulfillment in their lives.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Reiley posted:

There are ways of working around it, like basing her moveset off of Pirate's Curse, or just making her transform for certain attacks like the props the Villager pulls out. Now obviously Shantae isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but at least she's not Ridley.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Put me in the game thanks

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I could probably throw and beat up Marth

I'm not as fit as wii fit trainer but I could take yoga classes

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 4, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

"I’m not going to have just any character participate from other companies” -Masahiro Sakurai

Agreed. It has to be Gilgamesh, Goemon or Simon Belmont.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's a disturbing lack of Diplomacy in this page. Obviously the right answer is Wonder Red. Just base most of his A moves off the solo mission and rival battle with Wonder Blue.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
In non vote related news, this is incredible and you should watch it.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Blackheart posted:

Agreed. It has to be Gilgamesh, Goemon or Simon Belmont.

Everytime he gets brought up I immediately think of The Tower of Druaga because that's the Gilgamesh I want most. In terms of third party I feel Black Mage, Simon Belmont and Bomberman are probably the best fits, though I'd love Shantae or Shovel Knight to pop up. A part of me even wants Beck from Mighty No. 9 just so he can fight Mega Man.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Diplomacy in this page. Obviously the right answer is Wonder Red. Just base most of his A moves off the solo mission and rival battle with Wonder Blue.

I liked the idea of his specials and Smash attacks being different Unite Morphs that get bigger when you hold the button for a bit. Blue and Pink could be among the alts since they could fit into the hitbox easily, maybe with some other miscellaneous Wonderful Ones filling in the other outfit slots.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Uh, heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo, leader of the space pirate band known across the universe as the Guyzoch, Prince Vorkken.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm pretty sure any third party characters are going to continue to be massive names from massive franchises. We're talking dates-back-to-the-NES stuff like FF and Castlevania as the series that are likely to be next in line. Look at Pacman, Sonic, Megaman, and ask "is Shantae on that level?"

This is the hard truth but like hell if fans can acknowledge it in their hearts.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Banjo tweet is kind of interesting but it makes a lot of sense that Microsoft would be down for that

They're working on a new Banjo-Kazooie game right now over at Rare and getting him into Smash would be basically free publicity. They don't have their own Smash Bros competitor that they'd prefer to use him in instead or anything like that.

The roadblock is more that Nintendo isn't going to have any interest in promoting a competitor's product even if the character originated on a Nintendo platform. Snake was weird because mostly the MGS games weren't on Nintendo platforms, but they had just done Twin Snakes on the Gamecube and Kojima knew Sakurai personally (I think?) so that made it an easy sell. Plus Konami isn't, y'know, Sony or Microsoft.

Banjo would be rad but it'll never happen.

Also the Shantae developers pushing for their character is kind of weird. It's cute and fun when fans are really into it and design fan-made costume palettes and stuff, but when the game's developers start doing it, I don't know. It seems sort of bizarre. It'd be bigger advertising for Shantae than they've ever been able to afford for her games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Also the Shantae developers pushing for their character is kind of weird. It's cute and fun when fans are really into it and design fan-made costume palettes and stuff, but when the game's developers start doing it, I don't know. It seems sort of bizarre. It'd be bigger advertising for Shantae than they've ever been able to afford for her games.

WayForward just really loves video games

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Anybody else feel like most dash attacks in this game send you just a little bit further than they ought to? You know, that awkward distance between "follow-up-friendly" and "kill move" that sends them just far enough to not be useful either way?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dresh posted:

I liked the idea of his specials and Smash attacks being different Unite Morphs that get bigger when you hold the button for a bit. Blue and Pink could be among the alts since they could fit into the hitbox easily, maybe with some other miscellaneous Wonderful Ones filling in the other outfit slots.

As much as I'd love it to be Wonder Red as the whole team, I think it's best to keep it tight and just have Unite Fist (and maybe Tombstone or the other buyables) basically have him like in the one solo section but also add Unite Attacks because gently caress it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Anybody else feel like most dash attacks in this game send you just a little bit further than they ought to? You know, that awkward distance between "follow-up-friendly" and "kill move" that sends them just far enough to not be useful either way?

They are usually just meant to gain some stage control.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The W101 are tricky because of proportions. You need a single character whose size is on par with the other fighters, but you also obviously can't have non-final-smash attacks that are massive enough to sweep across the whole stage. So you'd end up with... Wonder Red, by himself, with slightly big red fists?

I'm not against having them, but it feels like a Ridley situation where they can't be included without dropping/altering a lot of their characteristics.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

This applies to literally every move

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Mario literally has the body proportions of a newborn infant so I don't think the Wonder dudes would be a problem.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

This applies to literally everything

True, true. Maybe they'll release a patch with Mewtwo that'll fix everything some things a thing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Reiley posted:

Mario literally has the body proportions of a newborn infant so I don't think the Wonder dudes would be a problem.

When I say proportions, I'm not talking about appearance/cartoonishness. I'm talking about the fact that the whole concept behind W101 is that the characters collectively morph into weapons that are dozens of times their own size.

In Smash Bros, they have to be fighter size and their weapons/attacks also have to be fighter size.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

mario doesnt fight by having 100 other marios combine into a weapon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This applies to literally every move

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh okay I never played those games. I've been owned by my own petard

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

sharrrk posted:

This would be pretty rad if it did happen, though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Reiley posted:

Oh okay I never played those games. I've been owned by my own petard

It's only one game and you should get it with your club nintendo coins while they're still safe with wario

Roflfox posted:

In non vote related news, this is incredible and you should watch it.

This is a good match of smash brother

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 4, 2015

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

As much as I'd love it to be Wonder Red as the whole team, I think it's best to keep it tight and just have Unite Fist (and maybe Tombstone or the other buyables) basically have him like in the one solo section but also add Unite Attacks because gently caress it.

It's kind of that tricky point between accuracy of the character, and game representation. This is the game where Ness uses all of Paula's PSI moves, so I don't mind a bit of leeway in letting one guy use different Unite Morphs, but yeah there could also be enough to do with the fist and the buyables that it might not be necessary.

sharrrk posted:

But he almost fought alongside 127 other Marios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

When I say proportions, I'm not talking about appearance/cartoonishness. I'm talking about the fact that the whole concept behind W101 is that the characters collectively morph into weapons that are dozens of times their own size.

In Smash Bros, they have to be fighter size and their weapons/attacks also have to be fighter size.

I'd think of him being Olimar size and his B/Unite Fist moves being Rosalina-Bowser sized.

• Locked thread