Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yes.
Most of the servers are European, and mist of the maps aren't textured, but its farther along than most games are at launch these days.
It definitely fills my shock combo fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
http://www.firefall.com/news/looking-forward-a-new-way-to-travel

New dev blog out today. I'm sure it's totally legit and has nothing to do with what day it is.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Inimicul posted:

http://www.firefall.com/news/looking-forward-a-new-way-to-travel

New dev blog out today. I'm sure it's totally legit and has nothing to do with what day it is.

Your avatar makes it all the better.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Seems fun, looking forward to it.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
And here i was thinking that Red5 was doing something to keep the spark alive, and then April fools...

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

eSporks posted:

Electron sucks because Red5 are big dumb idiots that removed shock combos, which are an homage to the best weapon in all of FPS history.

Mostly because EMP Grenade and Salvo Proxy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AirborneNinja posted:

Mostly because EMP Grenade and Salvo Proxy.
I have no idea what this means.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The Electrons original abilities.
EMP grenade worked somewhat like bulwark used to, except instead of a pansy shield it spawned a lasting EMP field, Salvo Proxy was Shoulder Rockets but a non-HKM ability.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Shoulder rockets sucks so much, it may as well be a non-HKM ability.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Salvo Proxy did work a little differently. Instead of volley firing rockets that then tracked it launched a single large rocket that split before coming down on your cursor.
Pubbies bitched about it sucking and eventually R5 decided to get rid of it and EMP grenade and make the Electron a buff bitch. Then they gave the Arsenal shoulder rockets for reasons.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The new PTS patch is finally out.

Info: http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/pts-tester-focus-1-20-experience-pts-character-wipe.6354321/
How to PTS: http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/how-to-download-and-access-the-pts-server.6353721/

The focus of this PTS is the level 1-20 progression with the new systems Red 5 is designing. This means the new combat system, the item tinkering system, the new core missions, etc. A player wipe was performed, so you have to create a new one. Also, ARES Job Boards are not activated at this time.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I applied to Goon Squad in this game of jet packs and machine guns. God help me.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So far the new new new user experience is pretty good. They combined the old Battle Lab with the current NPE, with some other tweaks. Like lots of music. Also, wow, Copa has changed. But the biggest change of all? Aero has a new voice. I've been playing this game for over 3 years now and I just cannot get used to it.

Also, we lost the GOONS army on PTS. They deleted all the characters but didn't delete the armies. :(

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

So far the new new new user experience is pretty good. They combined the old Battle Lab with the current NPE, with some other tweaks. Like lots of music. Also, wow, Copa has changed. But the biggest change of all? Aero has a new voice. I've been playing this game for over 3 years now and I just cannot get used to it.

Also, we lost the GOONS army on PTS. They deleted all the characters but didn't delete the armies. :(

She does not have a new voice, what you are likely hearing is Pre-VA Scratch recordings, what they use before paying out for the actual Actress, before lines are finalized someone in the R5 office just records the lines to make sure the voice triggers work and so on. Not much point paying for a recording session for stuff that is a work in progress.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

d3lness posted:

So, just picked up Firefall off steam and decided I liked it. Played Medic and its nifty, but fell in love with the assault since it reminds me of my days airshotting nerds with my rockets in TF2. Picked up the Firecat since I love the abilities with the Merc pack off steam which means I can afford one more advanced class. Was curious if there are any advanced classes that I should totally steer clear of or any advanced classes that are horridly overplayed. Currently looking at Dragonfly because of its glorious support strength.

Here's where you are:

Firecat: Incredible mobility, massive burst damage ability. Decent AoE. Battle rhythm is staying alive by using your mobility to bunch your enemies up, dash in and explode, dash out and contain.

Here's where you're thinking of going:

Dragonfly: Everybody wants 2-3 of your for boss fights. You really are a support class though, and don't forget it. Absolutely stupid to go into a Baneclaw PUG without one, otherwise... Ehh. It's nice to die less I guess. Never really played one though, so it's an outsider's view. Fact is though, there's no tank checks in this game. You're not essential to a competent group.

Suggestions:

Recluse: AoE murder machine. Combined with the ability to put out more damage as your targets increase and the 10% damage as healing perk any bio gets, you're practically unkillable. You have access to some healing, although honesltly, you're more valuable reducing the incoming DPS. Poison Trail, Evacuate, Creeping Death, Evacuate, Siphoning Unit. You're loving unstoppable, and the frame's a long-time dev favorite and I don't really see a nerf coming soon.

Nighthawk: A much more valuable support class. Tag enemies over a huge area so they're visible behind walls and add 35-50% damage. Give your friends infinite ammo and +50% RoF for up to 20 seconds out of what, 49? You're still a support class though, don't forget it.

Bastion: Another class that's been bad as gently caress (in the good way) for a long time. No other class comes close in area denial, even the Recluse.

For dread, I can't say I have a favorite, but Arsenal needs some work (even though it + a Nighthawk is capable of some truly insane poo poo, it's very nerf-vulnerable and aside from that, meh) and I love my Rhino. Haven't maxed Mammoth yet though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MadHat posted:

She does not have a new voice, what you are likely hearing is Pre-VA Scratch recordings, what they use before paying out for the actual Actress, before lines are finalized someone in the R5 office just records the lines to make sure the voice triggers work and so on. Not much point paying for a recording session for stuff that is a work in progress.

You know, that sounds good and all, but I just played the first mission (rescue Oilspill from Blackwater) and both Aero AND Oilspill had re-recorded lines with new voice actors. The same lines that are in the game right now.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Dragonfly: Everybody wants 2-3 of your for boss fights. You really are a support class though, and don't forget it. Absolutely stupid to go into a Baneclaw PUG without one, otherwise... Ehh. It's nice to die less I guess. Never really played one though, so it's an outsider's view. Fact is though, there's no tank checks in this game. You're not essential to a competent group.

For what it's worth, Dragonfly is my most powerful battleframe so far. If you know how to fit it correctly, you can have absurd damage and self-healing. I pretty much can solo everything with it with ease.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 4, 2015

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

You know, that sounds good and all, but I just played the first mission (rescue Oilspill from Blackwater) and both Aero AND Oilspill had re-recorded lines with new voice actors. The same lines that are in the game right now.

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/what-have-you-done-with-aero.6316321/#post-92063221

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Here's where you are:

Firecat: Incredible mobility, massive burst damage ability. Decent AoE. Battle rhythm is staying alive by using your mobility to bunch your enemies up, dash in and explode, dash out and contain.

Here's where you're thinking of going:

Suggestions:

Recluse: AoE murder machine. Combined with the ability to put out more damage as your targets increase and the 10% damage as healing perk any bio gets, you're practically unkillable. You have access to some healing, although honesltly, you're more valuable reducing the incoming DPS. Poison Trail, Evacuate, Creeping Death, Evacuate, Siphoning Unit. You're loving unstoppable, and the frame's a long-time dev favorite and I don't really see a nerf coming soon.

Raptor: A much more valuable support class. Tag enemies over a huge area so they're visible behind walls and add 35-50% damage. Give your friends infinite ammo and +50% RoF for up to 20 seconds out of what, 49? You're still a support class though, don't forget it.

Bastion: Another class that's been bad as gently caress (in the good way) for a long time. No other class comes close in area denial, even the Recluse.

For dread, I can't say I have a favorite, but Arsenal needs some work (even though it + a Raptor is capable of some truly insane poo poo, it's very nerf-vulnerable and aside from that, meh) and I love my Rhino. Haven't maxed Mammoth yet though.

ftfy

Also, Nighthawk has had some weird changes in the past, and right now unless you want to try sniping with weird netcode/hitboxes, you're probably better off with Raptor. Nighthawk DOES have one saving grace, in that it's Master-tier perk is usable on other frames, and 25% move and attackspeed slows on headshots are awesome on everything. If you can get consistent headshots/killshots, Execution can make you a monster. If you can use Smoke Screen on your back line, you can save them from getting targeted by snipers. The Mine is.....I'm not gonna lie, it kinda sucks, but it's one of two AoE moves for the Nhawk that don't include a Grenade launcher secondary.

One nice little touch about the Recon classes, all three can use the R36, and the Raptor and Nighthawk passive Perks and HKM's can be used with it for hilarious effect. I'm pretty sure Raptor's Overload has it's sound removed if use it with the R36 because it would probably crash PC's otherwise.

tl;dr, play Raptor

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

ftfy

Also, Nighthawk has had some weird changes in the past, and right now unless you want to try sniping with weird netcode/hitboxes, you're probably better off with Raptor. Nighthawk DOES have one saving grace, in that it's Master-tier perk is usable on other frames, and 25% move and attackspeed slows on headshots are awesome on everything. If you can get consistent headshots/killshots, Execution can make you a monster. If you can use Smoke Screen on your back line, you can save them from getting targeted by snipers. The Mine is.....I'm not gonna lie, it kinda sucks, but it's one of two AoE moves for the Nhawk that don't include a Grenade launcher secondary.

One nice little touch about the Recon classes, all three can use the R36, and the Raptor and Nighthawk passive Perks and HKM's can be used with it for hilarious effect. I'm pretty sure Raptor's Overload has it's sound removed if use it with the R36 because it would probably crash PC's otherwise.

tl;dr, play Raptor

gently caress you no, the last thing the game needs are more useless snipers that sit way the gently caress back and don't do anything for objectives. Nighthawk is loving awesome, forget sniping, grab an R36 and go to town with your stealth ninja powers.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You have to admit that running into a massive swarm of Chosen (like standing at the terminal in a tower) and popping smoke is hilarious. Stand in the cloud mowing them down with the R36 while they mill about as if nothing's wrong. You'll know that the smoke has dissipated when they all turn to look at you. Hit decoy and :frogout:

PTS Goons is alive and well but since I didn't recreate with the same name, Nalin is still an officer. I wonder if it'll relink you if you used the same name?

Edit: You're right, Nalin. I just did crash down and can't get used to Oilspill's changed name. I haven't really noticed much difference in Aero's voice but I haven't been listening too closely. Oilspill's is so different it's hard to unhear.

Edit2 Return of Posting: I tried recreating the next character with the same name and it didn't bind. Goons PTS now created.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 4, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Well I'm getting back into this.

I assume i have been booted from GOONS?

If so I shall apply again - where ever I need to do that?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DarkDobe posted:

Well I'm getting back into this.

I assume i have been booted from GOONS?

If so I shall apply again - where ever I need to do that?

You can post your in-game name here, or you can access the army menu, find GOONS, and apply.

Also, I just now gave every single member of GOONS the ability to invite. I don't care if you invite all your dirty pubbie friends. I'll still keep the visible "officer" list filled with people who are usually online, but now everyone will be able to accept applications.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nalin posted:

You can post your in-game name here, or you can access the army menu, find GOONS, and apply.

Also, I just now gave every single member of GOONS the ability to invite. I don't care if you invite all your dirty pubbie friends. I'll still keep the visible "officer" list filled with people who are usually online, but now everyone will be able to accept applications.

I'm on there as Dobe
I'll apply in game.

I am still in the army! Nevermind.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That's what I'm saying Nighthawk is the best.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

So they removed battleframe stations and the ability swap frames at will without rolling a new char on pts, when asked about this phobos tells us that this is the plan going forward, one char - one frame because that is how all hte other mmos does it and the noobs had difficulty understanding the old system?!!

This might be the dealbreaker for me.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Lazer Monkey posted:

So they removed battleframe stations and the ability swap frames at will without rolling a new char on pts, when asked about this phobos tells us that this is the plan going forward, one char - one frame because that is how all hte other mmos does it and the noobs had difficulty understanding the old system?!!

:ohdear:
Thats a much larger change than I previously heard about.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lazer Monkey posted:

Do you know where Phobos said that? Last I heard, the plan is for new players to only start with 1 Accord battleframe instead of all 5. Once you get to level 20, you have the option of unlocking another frame. The Accord frames are levels 1-20, while the Advanced frames are 20-40. If you buy an Advanced frame early, it will start at level 20. You still will have the option of having multiple battleframes on one account.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Lazer Monkey posted:

What happens to people who unlocked everything under this system?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
They keep everything but I think they lose access to the accord frames. Everything on those frames gets put in inventory. It's been weeks since that specific question was answered and I only remember the broad strokes. I'm not 100% sure they'll stick with that idea though. The PTS forums are rife with bitching about that.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Inimicul posted:

They keep everything but I think they lose access to the accord frames. Everything on those frames gets put in inventory. It's been weeks since that specific question was answered and I only remember the broad strokes. I'm not 100% sure they'll stick with that idea though. The PTS forums are rife with bitching about that.

It sounds like an absolutely retarded idea, so I can imagine there would be bitching indeed.

On another note: Is amazon even meant to be playable? It took some 15 people to capture a single tower, and barely at that. The larger objectives with multiple floors and points become a tidal wave of elites.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Better too hard than too easy, IMO. The game previously had little or nothing fun to do if you were high level.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Inimicul posted:

I couldn't find a red post about it just the pat thread people complaining.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Amazon is a lot like rolling a rock up a cliff that gets steeper and steeper. If you are in a group that's doing well, it's going to get harder. I've been in a platoon capping a base when suddenly 15 of the new hulking elite juggs rained down on us and we were only on stage 2 of 3. If your group is getting their poo poo pushed in over and over again, the Chosen stop sending in the A team and after a while you start getting empty drop pods.

TL;DR: If it's hard, start sucking.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's nice to know in these heady times of good themepark MMOs (FF14), nostalgic cRPGs (Pillars of Eternity) and general competence, that Firefall is still an absolute clusterfuck of a game, stumbling too and fro from one mediocre idea to another.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is that where the station went!? It's been really fun having to re do the tutorial over and over every time I want to see how a new frame works in the PTS. Assholes.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Lazer Monkey posted:

If this is an actual change then I am leaving Firefall forever.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Hey guys, I haven't played Firefall since shortly before the beta ended, how is the game going these da- :yikes:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
They talked about this over a month ago.

http://www.firefall.com/news/looking-forward-firefall-s-progression-system

You can still have multiple frames on your account. You don't have to freak out over this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nalin posted:

They talked about this over a month ago.

http://www.firefall.com/news/looking-forward-firefall-s-progression-system

You can still have multiple frames on your account. You don't have to freak out over this.

As someone who played just enough of the game in beta to have an idea of what the different accord frames do but not having played in long, long time, the change is really frustrating. I made an engineer, realized my turret bleeds now and I don't start off with 3 disposable turrets, and gave up before completing the tutorial. So I go back, make a dreadnought, get to my second ability and I dunno, it's not as bad as the new engineer but I don't think it's for me. I start over again and try the assault which I enjoy, the changes to the main gun are interesting and I enjoy both the powers I'm given in the tutorial. But my first play session in the PTS involved plaything through the tutorial once half way, once to the boss, and once again all the way through. And I'll need to do it again if I have the patience to see what's up with the medic.

I mean, these problems aren't limited to Firefall - too many MMOs make jump through hoops to get the 15 minutes of play time you need to have the most basic impression of a class - I got REAL sick of the starting space ships in Wild Star. It's not that this is Firefalls personal gently caress up, it's that it wasn't a problem and now it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jack B Nimble posted:

As someone who played just enough of the game in beta to have an idea of what the different accord frames do but not having played in long, long time, the change is really frustrating. I made an engineer, realized my turret bleeds now and I don't start off with 3 disposable turrets, and gave up before completing the tutorial. So I go back, make a dreadnought, get to my second ability and I dunno, it's not as bad as the new engineer but I don't think it's for me. I start over again and try the assault which I enjoy, the changes to the main gun are interesting and I enjoy both the powers I'm given in the tutorial. But my first play session in the PTS involved plaything through the tutorial once half way, once to the boss, and once again all the way through. And I'll need to do it again if I have the patience to see what's up with the medic.

I mean, these problems aren't limited to Firefall - too many MMOs make jump through hoops to get the 15 minutes of play time you need to have the most basic impression of a class - I got REAL sick of the starting space ships in Wild Star. It's not that this is Firefalls personal gently caress up, it's that it wasn't a problem and now it is.

Since you aren't a new player, you won't have to worry about being limited by your frame choices. You will retain all the ones you currently have. In fact, it will be easier to level up your advanced frames as they will all start at level 20.

These changes are really about newbie retention. They did lots of polls and analytics and determined that yes, your average MMO player is a moron. Lots of people picked a frame, didn't like the one they chose, found out you can't create a new character, then quit in frustration. This was a thing that happened a lot, as incredulous as it sounds. The multiple accounts, limited choices, step by step initial 1-20 experience with core missions... All of these were decided upon because pubbies are really, really stupid people.

Aside from this, it seems your complains are about the new combat system, which is fine. Post your feedback on the Firefall forums or something.

• Locked thread