Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The only thing I remember about Daikatana 64 was a screenshot from a review of the game that was a NPC talking in text (because cartridge ROM is expensive!) with hilariously little proofreading evident. It was something like "Go away your, nuts!!"

I wonder if they fixed that for the release version? It was by Kemco, so... probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

How bad is N64 Daikatana? I'm tempted to buy it off of eBay and play it, but only if it's particularly remarkably bad in some way. Other than the obvious problem of being Daikatana.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know this existed. I guess I didn't find out Doom 64 was different from Doom until much later either.

I cannot even imagine how bad that would be to play.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I recently gave away my demo disc that came with the original retail FFVII PC to the local gaming store to use in their display. The entire sleeve is just a big ad for Daikatana, even though it also had Theif and Tomb Raider demos on it. Great choice of focus Eidos.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know this existed. I guess I didn't find out Doom 64 was different from Doom until much later either.

I cannot even imagine how bad that would be to play.

No, no you cannot.

Basically, imagine Daikatana. Now imagine it looks several orders of magnitude worse, is considerably buggier and clunkier, doesn't have the usual save game options, and makes no effort to optimize its gameplay for a console. Now imagine you're playing that with an N64 controller.

I love that I own this thing and so help me god I'm never going to try playing it again.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
N64 Daikatana is horrific all the way, and I say this as someone that really enjoys the PC version. There is no reason to play it at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DoombatINC posted:

No, no you cannot.

Basically, imagine Daikatana. Now imagine it looks several orders of magnitude worse, is considerably buggier and clunkier, doesn't have the usual save game options, and makes no effort to optimize its gameplay for a console. Now imagine you're playing that with an N64 controller.

I love that I own this thing and so help me god I'm never going to try playing it again.

Yeah I'm thinking Daikatana but with a loving N64 analog stick to aim with is pretty much the ninth circle of hell. :stonk:

Did they let you do the janky dual-controller FPS control scheme that Goldeneye did?

:suicide:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

DoombatINC posted:

No, no you cannot.

I see it around at our local used game store sometimes...

...I'm always half tempted to grab it just because.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

This N64 talk reminded me that I've, shamefully, never played Doom 64. Is there any (legal) way to obtain the ROM to play with Doom 64 EX, short of buying a Nintendo cartridge and dumping it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Nope, and N64 rom dumpers are difficult to make work and use on modern computers, good luck.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

Nope, and N64 rom dumpers are difficult to make work and use on modern computers, good luck.

No they're quite easy, so long as you have an actual parallel port. Just need a Gameshark Pro.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

An actual parallel port, a very specific version of a Gameshark Pro, and Windows 98 or a virtual machine that can attach directly to your parallel port.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Related to Daikatana on Nintendo systems, wasn't there a Game Boy Color adaptation prototype that was supposed to be decent?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Kill all minorities

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

This N64 talk reminded me that I've, shamefully, never played Doom 64. Is there any (legal) way to obtain the ROM to play with Doom 64 EX, short of buying a Nintendo cartridge and dumping it?

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/faq/

Not really, no.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Kill all minorities
source your're john carmak quotes??

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

An actual parallel port, a very specific version of a Gameshark Pro, and Windows 98 or a virtual machine that can attach directly to your parallel port.

It's not a "very specific" version, it's the single most common version of the N64 Gameshark. Also you don't need Windows 98 or it in a VM, XP also works fine and Vista 32 bit at least works with it too (i've never tried GSCC XP with 64 bit windows or 7 at all, since I've not had a computer with both a parallel port and that).

You actually have to go out of your way to buy an N64 Gameshark without the port these days.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think the keyword there was modern. Most modern computers don't have a parallel port.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think the keyword there was modern. Most modern computers don't have a parallel port.

You can purchase one for any desktop for under $10, and even get them for under $30 for many laptops (so long as they have an expresscard port). And of course VMs are free these days. Overall cost if you didn't already have a gameshark would be under $50 by far.

It's a lot simpler than trying to do something like dump roms from SNES games or something like that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with trying out Doom 64: Absolution for now - how does it compare to the real game?

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Linguica posted:

source your're john carmak quotes??

Segmentation Fault posted:

lmao he was the guy that claimed that Carmack was misogynistic but couldn't turn up any proof of that

Just because there isn't a peer-reviewed source for misogynistic John Carmack quotes doesn't mean that Carmack didn't say misogynistic things and isn't a misogynist--it just means that he never said misogynistic things while he was being recorded. That's it.

However the fact that two Carmack fans found it plausible enough that he did say misogynistic things to warrant further investigation does speak volumes about Carmack's character and views.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
LAST TIME, ON DAIKATANA:

We all appreciated some fine street art:

A blocky mass of grey polygons flew sideways at us and gave us free rocket enemas:

We discovered the undersea projects of Alcatraz, and then discovered the buildings were rented out to swarms of sharks:

Hiro and his posse finally climbed their way up to the TOWER OF CRIME, where we spent most of our time riding extremely-unsafe and inefficient elevators:

Within this hive of scum and poorly-coded villainy we fought all kinds of evil mercenaries, ranging from the green doomguy-knockoff, to the green doomgirl, to the most nefarious foe of them all, the green tactical gimp:

Also the cyber-gorillas were unleashed. They immediately leapt into walls, getting stuck inside the geometry where they were slowly stabbed to death by Hiro:

GOTY 2455 AD

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 4, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've never gotten used to how busy and "bumpy" all of Daikatana's textures are. Pretty distinct, though. You could probably post a piece of frog poo poo or some other asset from the game that I don't remember ever seeing and I could still tell it was from Daikatana.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Something else worth pointing out about Daikatana 64: there's no Daikatana in the game.

Hogama posted:

Related to Daikatana on Nintendo systems, wasn't there a Game Boy Color adaptation prototype that was supposed to be decent?

It wasn't a prototype, it was officially released in Europe but cancelled in NA because Daikatana. It's an okay Zelda-style game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

John R. was kind enough to host the ROM of the GBC Daikatana on his website. Dunno if it's still the case.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

LAST TIME, ON DAIKATANA:

We all appreciated some fine street art:

A blocky mass of grey polygons flew sideways at us and gave us free rocket enemas:

We discovered the undersea projects of Alcatraz, and then discovered the buildings were rented out to swarms of sharks:

Hiro and his posse finally climbed their way up to the TOWER OF CRIME, where we spent most of our time riding extremely-unsafe and inefficient elevators:

Within this hive of scum and poorly-coded villainy we fought all kinds of evil mercenaries, ranging from the green doomguy-knockoff, to the green doomgirl, to the most nefarious foe of them all, the green tactical gimp:

Also the cyber-gorillas were unleashed. They immediately leapt into walls, getting stuck inside the geometry where they were slowly stabbed to death by Hiro:

GOTY 2455 AD

Wow, you managed to survive Mishima's Labs in one piece. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that godawful mission.

I can't wait for your reactions to the missions afterwards. :allears:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

scroton_ posted:

Just because there isn't a peer-reviewed source for misogynistic John Carmack quotes doesn't mean that Carmack didn't say misogynistic things and isn't a misogynist--it just means that he never said misogynistic things while he was being recorded. That's it.

However the fact that two Carmack fans found it plausible enough that he did say misogynistic things to warrant further investigation does speak volumes about Carmack's character and views.

"just because we have no proof that Carmack said something misogynist doesn't mean he's not a horrible sexist" lmfao

Like I get sociological theory and how systems of oppression are so pervasive that everyone is subconsciously sexist and racist, but I'm not going to hold Carmack to something he didn't say. My asking for evidence of Carmack's sexism does not imply any opinion toward the likelihood of his opinions on women; I just prefer to not judge someone until I have the facts available.

On the other hand, I'm not certain that Scroton ISN'T responsible for Duke Nukem Forever, Daikatana, and Brutal Doom. Just because there's no evidence of that doesn't mean it's not necessarily true. Why are you early FPS Hitler?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So I finally finished Plutonia and now I never ever want to see a revenant again. What's a good baby's first unofficial WAD? Looking for something to spice things up a little, possibly a bit easier (or actually just less annoying) than Plutonia on HMP. Back to Saturn X? Scythe? The above mentioned Doom 64?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Scythe, definitely.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've never gotten used to how busy and "bumpy" all of Daikatana's textures are. Pretty distinct, though. You could probably post a piece of frog poo poo or some other asset from the game that I don't remember ever seeing and I could still tell it was from Daikatana.

Daikatana's character textures are excellent, hard to appreciate in game as the models aren't great. Forcing nearest neighbor helps a little.

The guy who did most of these textures, Kenneth Scott

http://superactionfunboy.tumblr.com/

also textured most or all Q3 characters, did an even better job. Later worked on D3 and you can still see his style there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I honestly thought that gun was part of the level geometry until I saw the later screenshot.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

At night, John Carmack sneaks into the oculus rift lab and comments 'women are bad' into the code

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i heard carmack was building rocket ships to try and escape from the blacks

Just because there isn't a peer-reviewed source for John Carmack saying he wanted to leave planet Earth to escape the blacks doesn't mean that Carmack didn't say he wanted to leave planet Earth to escape the blacks and isn't a racist who wants to flee the planet--it just means that he never said racist planet-fleeing things while he was being recorded. That's it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

closeted republican posted:

Wow, you managed to survive Mishima's Labs in one piece. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that godawful mission.

We survived the labs (if you'd call it surviving), but we left so much behind in those horrific neon-green corridors. Mostly piles of gibs within the electrically-charged elevator shafts.

The map wouldn't be that bad, honestly, if they didn't turn the entire area into a keycard scavenger-hunt. 'Ride elevator A to generic concrete room A to find the blue keycard so you can backtrack to elevator B to generic lab B and get the yellow keycard to elevator C. Then do it again.' At least we had the wacky, ineffectual-against-anyone-but-yourself laser-light-show grenades to keep us company.

We had completely forgotten about the cyber-apes. Their sudden appearance by bursting out of random crates with no buildup whatsoever was easily the highlight of that entire section of the game.

Was there an actual story reason as to why there's deadly cyber-frogs/apes/rats yukking it up in Daikatana's future? Are Mishima's RND teams that bored when they're not attempting to misuse ancient artifacts for their own evil business practices?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

i heard carmack was building rocket ships to try and escape from the blacks

Just because there isn't a peer-reviewed source for John Carmack saying he wanted to leave planet Earth to escape the blacks doesn't mean that Carmack didn't say he wanted to leave planet Earth to escape the blacks and isn't a racist who wants to flee the planet--it just means that he never said racist planet-fleeing things while he was being recorded. That's it.

hosed up if true

honestly if you're denying carmack's interest in model rocketry is due to his latent desires to escape black people then that just shows your subconscious understanding that carmack in fact does want to escape blacks by leaving the atmosphere

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

loga mira posted:

Daikatana's character textures are excellent, hard to appreciate in game as the models aren't great. Forcing nearest neighbor helps a little.

also textured most or all Q3 characters, did an even better job. Later worked on D3 and you can still see his style there.

Ahhhh that's funny because I always felt like Quake 3's texture work was reminiscent of Daikatana. Interesting.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

loga mira posted:

You can tell he did the texture work with the non-Doom characters in Quake 3, they've got that bubbly bumpy thing going on too.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Arivia posted:

So I finally finished Plutonia and now I never ever want to see a revenant again. What's a good baby's first unofficial WAD? Looking for something to spice things up a little, possibly a bit easier (or actually just less annoying) than Plutonia on HMP. Back to Saturn X? Scythe? The above mentioned Doom 64?

I really enjoyed Perdition's Gate, by Bob and Tom Mustaine. It was originally supposed to be part of Final Doom along with TNT and Plutonia, but that fell through. It was released as a standalone thing eventually, but the rights are so tangled up Mustaine has a free download of it here on his personal website. It's a really cohesive set of levels, and they all play pretty well. Has a weird thing where the maps actually get smaller/shorter in episode 3. It's a good challenge, but is never too intense. Give it a try!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Like, maybe this is gonna be a controversial opinion, but daikatana is noooowhere near as bad a game as duke nukem forever.

A lot of good work went into Daikatana. The music is excellent, and as was brought up earlier the enemy and weapon textures are real works of art let down by fairly crude models. It's kind of sad that a lot of the people responsible for Daikatana maybe won't want to put it on their CV because of its reputation, when they work they did on it was really top notch. Daikatana could've been a great game, and is still bizarrely appealing in a lot of ways just for the sheer strangeness of it, and I think if they'd stuck to the quake 1 engine it would've been a great game. The sad story of its development cycle is mirrored in the game itself.

Duke Nukem Forever is just warmed-over trash. I'm on my 4th playthrough of Daikatana now and I've still not been able to force myself through a single run of DNF.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

And my opinion Daikatana and Duke Nukem forever are almost equally as bad, I would say even say that DKF is more playable if that's worth anything. It really show that they just jump from one bandwageon to another while they where making the game instead of sticking to their guns which inder the end product a lot. One of them is that loving obsession to go on console, that was the main reason the game looks nowhere like in 2001; they had to remade the game so it can fit on ps2 and xboxs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Like, maybe this is gonna be a controversial opinion, but daikatana is noooowhere near as bad a game as duke nukem forever.

I completely agree, there are traces of good game in Daikatana. DNF is irredeemable crap all over, there's not one level I can call okay. It's more fun dicking around in DK w/ cheats enabled than legitimately playing DNF.