Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I really, really don't like Tyler and Carolyn siding with Blue. I just think that's stupid. There's no way I would have expected Blue to turn on each other before they broke up that pair. Considering they spent the whole episode talking about how they needed to stay distant and not tip everyone off to them being close and at the end of the episode they're both turning on a White Collar to be a minority pair in a majority alliance? That just strikes me as moronic. White Collar could have played with No Collar and decimated Blue and then flipped and taken out No. Maybe that wouldn't have worked perfectly but Carolyn and Tyler are now playing for the hope that Blue splinters before they decide to eliminate all threats. Which considering the Joakin/Rodney and Sierra/Lindsey votes seems to be their MO.

I think Tyler's an idiot in general and playing a terrible game but I was disappointed in Carolyn. She's really impressed me right up until that decision.

I don't think it was a bad move. Carolyn and Kelly seemed friendly, and they could have easily made a Carolyn/Tyler/Kelly/Mike Final Four pact, like the Malcom/Denise/Lisa/Skupin one. They could have done it with the No Collars as well, but the problem is that the No Collars are a strong threesome, who would outnumber them once they got to five. Even if they persuaded Jenn and Hali to break off from Joe, it is very risky bringing someone like Joe even into top 5 or 6. Look at what happened in Nicaragua where they left Fabio as the last opposing tribe member remaining, then he proceeded to win three Immunities in a row then the title. Rodney, Sierra and Will are barely threats on their own. Plus Carolyn can't stand Shirin.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GaussianCopula posted:

Someone please explain to me why Jenn's idol play was that great. She got a feeling that she might be going home today and played the idol at the first tribal where there was a realistic chance she might go home. That's not a great play but not being James from China level retarded. No collar was lucky that the person who had the idol was also the person targeted.

Successful idol play any idol play is exciting.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When's the last time an ENTIRE alliance's votes are all negated? It rarely happens.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Jenn's idol play just made amazing television, is the thing, even if many perceptive people would have made the same call.
Yeah, a truly amazing play would have been like, if say Spencer in Cagayan had successfully counter-predicted Tony and played his idol on Jeremiah. But I don't think anything like that is ever likely to happen.
Still, invalidating seven votes is really cool.
Also, I know a lot of you seem to hate edgic, but Jenn has a huge edit, and the No-Collars in general have been portrayed most favorably, aside from Mike.
People can mock me later if I'm wrong, but the winner is Jenn or Mike. Joe is screwed, Sierra's the most invisible of the remaining players, Dan's awful, Rodney's implied to be someone that makes big moves, but also a misogynist douche, Tyler is toneless and doesn't really have a story, Shirin has a redemption edit but she's still herself so can't win unless she gets a REALLY beneficial situation (say, if Rodney and Dan decide they want to ally with her), Will is...I don't know, I guess not getting enough really, and then Carolyn's a sticky wicket for sure, but she never seems like she's having any fun. Ever. and Hali's just Jenn's goofy sidekick.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Jenn's idol play just made amazing television, is the thing, even if many perceptive people would have made the same call.
Yeah, a truly amazing play would have been like, if say Spencer in Cagayan had successfully counter-predicted Tony and played his idol on Jeremiah. But I don't think anything like that is ever likely to happen.
Still, invalidating seven votes is really cool.
Also, I know a lot of you seem to hate edgic, but Jenn has a huge edit, and the No-Collars in general have been portrayed most favorably, aside from Mike.
People can mock me later if I'm wrong, but the winner is Jenn or Mike. Joe is screwed, Sierra's the most invisible of the remaining players, Dan's awful, Rodney's implied to be someone that makes big moves, but also a misogynist douche, Tyler is toneless and doesn't really have a story, Shirin has a redemption edit but she's still herself so can't win unless she gets a REALLY beneficial situation (say, if Rodney and Dan decide they want to ally with her), Will is...I don't know, I guess not getting enough really, and then Carolyn's a sticky wicket for sure, but she never seems like she's having any fun. Ever. and Hali's just Jenn's goofy sidekick.

I wouldn't rule Hali out, it seems like every episode there's a confessional or two that exists solely to endear us to her.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Lots of people are high on Hali for some reason, but I think she'll go down soon.

Hali is everything a straight, red-blooded, Merican, straight man could want: a female Chris Pine, minus any threatening demonstrations of competence.

Plus she seems to get more screen-time than she really should considering she doesn't really make any major plays or demonstrate any special insight into what's going on.

I wanted Carolyn to stick with the No Collars so they could form The Fellowship of All The Idols and vote out the surfeit of douchebags on the blue collar tribe.

One thing I noticed is that Will seems to more well-liked and personable than I might have thought. I've always liked him but because he sucks so hard at challenges I assumed the other players didn't respect him much. But when he makes a joke everyone seems to laugh genuinely. It helps that he is actually funny too. But I can't really see him winning even if he makes it to final tribal unless he's there with two goats who are even goatier than they are now. And Dan even specifically grew a goat beard already.

I feel bad for Joe. He's hardly the only athletic player out there yet he seems to be singled out as an unstoppable challenge threat who will make an immunity run to final three if he's not stopped at the first opportunity.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joe has been a monster in challenges though. He's clearly been the best player in them, so that's why he's been singled out.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Joe's gonna go full Colby and win everything and I will laugh and laugh

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Jen's idol play was great for two reasons. One, that has to be the most # of votes negated with a single idol, and two her mad scientist cackling as the votes were read was hilarious.

Jen rules.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

SweetJahasus posted:

Jen's idol play was great for two reasons. One, that has to be the most # of votes negated with a single idol, and two her mad scientist cackling as the votes were read was hilarious.

Jen rules.

Nope, it merely ties Russel Hantz record from Samoa.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

GaussianCopula posted:

Nope, it merely ties Russel Hantz record from Samoa.

Well drat.

But Russell sucks and Jen rules. :can:

:boom::gitgud:

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
My goodness, the person Redmond just added to the list as a fan vote option for S31:

GREG BUIS!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They should do a season with just the first boot offs.

Call it losers vs. losers vs. old people.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

They should do a season with just the first boot offs.

Call it losers vs. losers vs. old people.

They can bring back Francesca and Fairplay, so I'm all for it.

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?
Since Francesca got voted out first twice, does that mean that she would get two chances, and be automatically re-entered into the game when she inevitably got voted out first for a third time?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ColonelCurmudgeon posted:

Since Francesca got voted out first twice, does that mean that she would get two chances, and be automatically re-entered into the game when she inevitably got voted out first for a third time?

No, they simply would just cast 19 people and before they get the maps to their new camps Jeff just says, "Sorry Fran, we don't have a buff for you, you are the first loser on Survivor: Losers"

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

ColonelCurmudgeon posted:

I think it would only be fair to just give her a Tyler Perry Idol at the beginning.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They could hide the idols in the rice bags. Like 10 of them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Survivor: One Idol Per Person. You show up on day one, and everyone gets an idol.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Piell posted:

Survivor: One Idol Per Person. You show up on day one, and everyone gets an idol.

This would actually be fascinating. You'd have to balance guaranteed safety on early votes vs taking it late game. Plus you'd have the potential for more double idol plays. People who manage to keep them all the way to the merge are targets. This would work best with no hidden idols.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
My preferred outcome was still Jenn using the idol on Hali after getting their information on the target from Will, but this was the second best result.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

MisterZimbu posted:

My preferred outcome was still Jenn using the idol on Hali after getting their information on the target from Will, but this was the second best result.

What else would have been fun is if Carolyn played her idol for Kelly after Jenn plays her idol, and Hali goes home from just one stray vote

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
good episode. lol at the bee.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bbf2 posted:

What else would have been fun is if Carolyn played her idol for Kelly after Jenn plays her idol, and Hali goes home from just one stray vote

Is there a procedure if all votes are negated? Do they revote for new people? Immediate purple rock? Probst's head explodes?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there a procedure if all votes are negated? Do they revote for new people? Immediate purple rock? Probst's head explodes?

The logical outcome would be revote with all people who have votes (no one) being not allowed to vote, as this is what happens in case of a deadlock anyway. Purple rocks are only used in case the same people are deadlocked after a revote, which would be the 3rd vote in this case.

My question would be what happens if they have a deadlock at the final tribal council, with F3 usually having 8 jury members who could potentially vote 0-4-4. Does the 3rd place person cast the deciding vote in that case?

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 5, 2015

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Is Flipped Off worth watching at all? Has anybody watched it? I'm wondering if there is enough Russell to make it worthwhile.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I just finally caught up with the season. It is so good! Jenn is a hero and Carolyn and Sierra rule and everybody but Hali is an actual presence it's fantastic :allears:

And I get that Blue + White + Will didn't have enough trust to effectively work together but they had enough votes to split between Jenn and Hali~

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

I just finally caught up with the season. It is so good! Jenn is a hero and Carolyn and Sierra rule and everybody but Hali is an actual presence it's fantastic :allears:

And I get that Blue + White + Will didn't have enough trust to effectively work together but they had enough votes to split between Jenn and Hali~

If they're not trusting Will then a vote split strategy is too risky, cause then Will just needs to vote with the No Collars for them to win the vote with 5.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

You don't split the vote when you have at least three, if not five people that might not be 100% loyal (Rodney, Sierra, Will, Taylor, Carolyn). I would blame Taylor and Carolyn most for the failed vote (which does not really hurt them, so they could care less), because they KNOW that Shirin doesn't have an idol (Carolyn found the WC idol) and should have nudged the majority to vote her out. But it might be for the best for the remaining majority alliance, as they now are on an more equal footing, compared to before where the core blue collar had a pretty tight grip on the game.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jenn :swoon:

Jeff Probst posted:

Jenn is a tricky one for me. We had a love-hate relationship. Best described as—I loved her, she hated me!

Also this gif

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 5, 2015

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

So... Jeff is bitter because she shot him down?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

GaussianCopula posted:

The logical outcome would be revote with all people who have votes (no one) being not allowed to vote, as this is what happens in case of a deadlock anyway. Purple rocks are only used in case the same people are deadlocked after a revote, which would be the 3rd vote in this case.

My question would be what happens if they have a deadlock at the final tribal council, with F3 usually having 8 jury members who could potentially vote 0-4-4. Does the 3rd place person cast the deciding vote in that case?

I believe in the first case it would go to fresh vote with the tie rules. The people who played idols would not vote nor could they be voted for but there would be two rounds of voting in case there was another tie.

As for the final tribal council I think I heard that in that case the third place person votes for the winner if possible and in the case of a 3-3-3 then I guess the jury revotes. It's also possible that they would declare a tie and split the money since any vote would be affected by the edit and could be seen as unfair.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The best way to resolve the 4-4-0 tie is to have each finalist cast a vote at final tribal council, to be revealed only if they are third place. As for 3-3-3, no idea.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

The best way to resolve the 4-4-0 tie is to have each finalist cast a vote at final tribal council, to be revealed only if they are third place. As for 3-3-3, no idea.

Production knows the votes anyway, so they can just have the right person cast their vote if it's necessary. A 3-3-3 tie is impossible, because we usually have a 8person jury if there is a f3

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

blue squares posted:

That's probably what they do. In the case of a 3-3-3 if it's still a tie with finalist votes then then it's probably a three way tie to win and the money is split.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
So in case anyone hasn't been paying attention to the updated list for next season:

Greg loving Buis!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Praying for the following to make it.

Shane Powers (my all time favorite along with Lex)
Jeff Varner
Stephen Fishbach
Kass McQuillen
Spencer Bledsoe

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Can individual immunity winners still give their necklace to another player?

Can they do it after the vote?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Elphiem posted:

I have been assuming they CAN give it to another player, but don't bother talking about it anymore if nobody's going to do it. But, they can't do it after the vote, they'd have to do it before. It can't actually negate votes and do any surprise poo poo, just make it so you can't vote for a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Elphiem posted:

Yes you can but you better have a HII in pocket or you'll likely get a Reversal of Fortune by making that play

quote:

Only Tony's Tyler Perry Idol had that power and it's a horseshit way of doling out HIIs. May the show never do that again.

• Locked thread