Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Al-Saqr posted:

I find Anita Sarkeesian very boring to listen to and most of the alternatives she's advocating are incredibly bland designs and the outlook she has to what women 'Should' be in gaming is very drab. I cant event work up enough passion to have an opinion on her work since my eyes start drooping whenever I hear her talk.

it's directly because the idiot losers who hounded her that gave her the influence and media presence and funding she has. I cant even understand what makes any of these folks even mad, talk about the ultimate use case in self-defeating.

when you go look at her blog she takes well loved characters like Samus and simply adds bulky tank pilot armor to her zero suit and calls it 'empowerment', losing whatever striking design choices that made the character interesting to look at, which is entertainment art 101.

I dunno, I support the general gist of what she has to say, but I think there's a reason why there's so few videos compared to the hulabloo and media events she goes to.

Wow thanks for letting us know. Thank goodness you were able to work up enough passion to post your boring loving opinion on the internet. Guess you and Anita have something in common after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

emeriin posted:

On the topic on Anita's liveliness, I believe she said once she can't afford to even make jokes because it's too dangerous. And I heard her on a livestream once last year, and it was genuinely surprising to hear her sounding like she was having fun.

Wasn't there someone in this thread who bumped into her randomly and said she seemed really quiet and then found out that some stalker of her had just been arrested earlier that day at a talk she was giving?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jack Gladney posted:

Wasn't there someone in this thread who bumped into her randomly and said she seemed really quiet and then found out that some stalker of her had just been arrested earlier that day at a talk she was giving?

Yea pretty much I imagine it's hard to be super peppy and cheery when you know every frame of your video is going to be dissected by nerds eager to prove what you REALLY mean by 'it's lovely that in many games the only female role is a victim rather than a hero' is 'literally murder all men, every man, shoot them in the head for feminism also I hate games'.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

Because illiterate nerds don't seem to get the fact that a spear trumps a sword in pretty much all situations by virtue of poking someone to death.

But muh animus says sword a best.

On another note those reaction videos. Can't they at least once bother to actually address the points without twisting her words like they always do?
Sword fights are more visually interesting. That's really the reason

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I dunno, this bit from Crouching Tiger leads me to believe that in a martial action flick basically any kind of weapon will be interesting if choreographed well.

God drat Rich Evans got owned this last BotW

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sword fights are more visually interesting. That's really the reason

I know they're more appealing in terms of fighting style and the ways you can manipulate the fight to make it more enjoyably to watch. What rubs me the wrong way is that the conversations aren't about which is more appealing, gun fights or sword fights and why. It's people trying to poorly justify that a sword user can defeat a gun user before he can pull the trigger.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
If anyone want to say how a sword can beat a gun, just show them raiders of the lost ark. there debate done, gun wins.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cyron posted:

If anyone want to say how a sword can beat a gun, just show them raiders of the lost ark. there debate done, gun wins.

That guy in Raiders wasn't a Special A rank Strider.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I hope you learned your lesson, Al-Saqr. Don't try to have a reasonable discussion about Anita's work in this thread.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

I hope you learned your lesson, Al-Saqr. Don't try to have a reasonable discussion about Anita's work in this thread.

We had a reasonable discussion. Al-Saqr happens to be wrong.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

bullshit. you went to name calling. there was no dabate.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 4, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cyron posted:

bullshit. you went to name calling.

Please utilize the quote function to demonstrate where I engaged in name calling.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

Please utilize the quote function to demonstrate where I engaged in name calling.

DStecks posted:

Yeah, why should a tough rugged bounty hunter character have a tough, rugged look? I can't masturbate to that at all.

saying that he want to jerk off to cartoon charaters. and bobbyk post that just insults him. people saying why she seem dull due to the abuse online and death threats is a dabate and thoese people are right and deseave cookies.

don't get me wrong al went down the shiter fast when he brought up review score drama.

on second thought I think I agree with you. crying over review scores for anything is a surefire way to be taken as a joke.

EDIT: I just looked at al's rap sheet, I feel like I deserve a probation for being dumb enough to defend him.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 4, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jack Gladney posted:

She's a lot livelier in her earlier video series about tv, and she takes more risks in the analysis she provides. Since becoming so famous she's really toned everything down and taken on a very different persona, probably because there are so many nerds out for her blood. There definitely seems to be a monkey's paw-taint to a lot of what she's gotten: she only wanted a few thousand to do another short video series and now not only has to spend tons of money making it really long but is subject to the worst sort of scrutiny. I don't blame her for taking a long time: she has to preemptively defend herself from a huge crowd that doesn't even listen in the first place.

I think it takes an incredible commitment to principle to keep working on something that she was probably lukewarm about in the first place instead of just saying "gently caress this" and trying to disappear. She's given a few talks about her work, but she doesn't seem happy in any of them. If it were you in her place, would you keep grinding out videos?

I actually went to one of the talks she gave, and she's more lively there but really only just. One of the things that stuck out to me was one of her introductory remarks, she described the endless torrent of stupid hate as merely a time sink, she says her videos take longer than before because she wants to do a good job by all the money people are giving her and because dealing with the stupid assholes takes time. She really made it sound like drudgery, she gets so much inchoate hatred that it's just tedious. I agree, I don't really think she's all that eager to do these videos anymore, but on the other hand I don't think she wants to be seen as backing down from the interminable drudgery that is her ridiculous hatedom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Omnicrom posted:

I agree, I don't really think she's all that eager to do these videos anymore, but on the other hand I don't think she wants to be seen as backing down from the interminable drudgery that is her ridiculous hatedom.

She's really brave, good on her. I hope she can live in peace when this is all over.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Cyron posted:

EDIT: I just looked at al's rap sheet, I feel like I deserve a probation for being dumb enough to defend him.

An argument should be based on its merit, not where it comes from. Just cause Hitler disliked smoking doesn't make it ok.

EDIT: But, ugh. I see where you're coming from.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The cynical side of me believes firmly that she'll probably have to watch over her shoulder for decades to come. But the hopeful part really wants to think she won't have to.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah I mean if it were up to me Samus would never be shown outside of that suit beyond hints and small glimpses like in Super Metroid and Prime, but she was a character that was designed to look rad as gently caress from the very beginning, but even in the earlier games the zero-suit was there in the official art, there was one with an xray of her suit with half her body showing inside it, looking really buff and powerful, but that's a design choice because obviously she'd need a skin tight suit to fit inside the armor. its a solid design choice with actual reasons behind it.

Wasn't she wearing a zero suit of some sort in the first metroid when you entered the Justin Bailey code?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gianthogweed posted:

Wasn't she wearing a zero suit of some sort in the first metroid when you entered the Justin Bailey code?

Actually it went as far as a bikini depending on if you meet certain Time and Collection % conditions. For all of them through to Super Metroid.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Gianthogweed posted:

in the first few games it was treated like armor that can be remove in pieces and with the art that show the x-ray in super metriod she wore something skin tight but it looked like something you where at the gym (at least the gym of the future). when the zero suit was brought in, the power armor became something like the power rangers where it morth away by bressing a button. it fine but instead of something in power rangers that is a belt buckle, it a one piece spandex jumpsuit with build in high heels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cyron posted:

in the first few games it was treated like armor that can be remove in pieces and with the art that show the x-ray in super metriod she wore something skin tight but it looked like something you where at the gym (at least the gym of the future). when the zero suit was brought in, the power armor became something like the power rangers where it morth away by bressing a button. it fine but instead of something in power rangers that is a belt buckle, it a one piece spandex jumpsuit with build in high heels.

The high-heels only came in with Other M. And the less said about Other M, the better.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Jack Gladney posted:

She's a lot livelier in her earlier video series about tv, and she takes more risks in the analysis she provides. Since becoming so famous she's really toned everything down and taken on a very different persona, probably because there are so many nerds out for her blood. There definitely seems to be a monkey's paw-taint to a lot of what she's gotten: she only wanted a few thousand to do another short video series and now not only has to spend tons of money making it really long but is subject to the worst sort of scrutiny. I don't blame her for taking a long time: she has to preemptively defend herself from a huge crowd that doesn't even listen in the first place.

I think it takes an incredible commitment to principle to keep working on something that she was probably lukewarm about in the first place instead of just saying "gently caress this" and trying to disappear. She's given a few talks about her work, but she doesn't seem happy in any of them. If it were you in her place, would you keep grinding out videos?

It does kind of suck that she's committed to making all those videos now and probably really isn't too into making them anymore. What really sucks is that there's so much negativity in the whole "Tropes vs. Women" theme. When I saw Amazing Atheist's new vid and saw the list of vids she still had to do to fulfill her kickstarter agreement it just looked miserable. Every video just seemed like such a downer. The whole "tropes vs. women" theme is all about pointing out the bad aspects of games, without accentuating any positives. It's no wonder she's switching gears now and trying portray a positive example for once. It's too bad she chose a blank slate of a character with no personality whatsoever. Still, I can't feel too bad for her because she's probably making way more money than all of the internet critics out there. She could walk away from this if she wanted to. If she really wanted to she could just buckle down, lock herself away from her accounts and ignore her critics for awhile so she could pound out shorter videos as quickly as possible to fulfill her agreement and walk away. I know I have to do that sometimes when I have projects to complete and need to take away my internet distractions, but it can be very difficult. But, if she can't do that, she can just give up on the project altogether and maybe donate the remaining money to charity. I'm sure her backers would forgive her. Yes, there will be a backlash from her critics as always, but it will die down as people move on to other things. Still, I don't think she wants to walk away from all that money and power and I'm not sure I would either if I were in her place.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 4, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Al-Saqr posted:

I find Anita Sarkeesian very boring to listen to and most of the alternatives she's advocating are incredibly bland designs and the outlook she has to what women 'Should' be in gaming is very drab. I cant event work up enough passion to have an opinion on her work since my eyes start drooping whenever I hear her talk.

it's directly because the idiot losers who hounded her that gave her the influence and media presence and funding she has. I cant even understand what makes any of these folks even mad, talk about the ultimate use case in self-defeating.

when you go look at her blog she takes well loved characters like Samus and simply adds bulky tank pilot armor to her zero suit and calls it 'empowerment', losing whatever striking design choices that made the character interesting to look at, which is entertainment art 101.

I dunno, I support the general gist of what she has to say, but I think there's a reason why there's so few videos compared to the hulabloo and media events she goes to.
She’s preaching more or less the safest and most obvious material to the uneducated as possible. Her views are rarely original, highly dumbed down, and she has this tone that comes off as patronizing to me – as if she’s uncovering new earth in feminism by pointing out really blatantly obvious tropes in the most banal way possible. I realize her videos aren’t for me, though, and that a lot of people literally need to be educated on feminism as if they are highly temperamental toddlers.

What’s most remarkable about the situation surrounding her is gaming culture’s incredibly violent, hateful, and ludicrously charged reactions to her Kickstarter campaign and videos. There have been rape threats, threats to inflict violence, a game where you punch her face until it resembles that of someone beaten within an inch of their life, floods of sexist remarks telling her to get back in the kitchen or to make a sandwich, accusations of her deceiving people out of their money or even stealing it (despite an MRA making a campaign to raise money, receiving it, and then producing nothing and running off – something they’re keen to stay silent on), etc.

The fact that Anita’s work is unremarkable and inoffensive is exactly why the whole phenomenon around her is so astounding. All it took was one woman to start a campaign to educate gamers about sexism for gaming culture to nearly collapse in upon itself because of its intensely toxic hatred and vitriol. That all it took for this to happen was someone saying only the very beginning of what absolutely needs to be said is shocking, and has been extremely revealing of how far gone gaming culture has become in a way that the content of her work has only begun to scratch the surface of (also I hear her latest video has a bunch of slut shaming so gently caress that).

I mean, it’s great that there’s someone with the courage to put up with all of these horrible threats and abuse to bring out and expose the toxicity and wretchedness of “gamers,” but she’s spoon-feeding baby food level information to people with a smiling, friendly face. I don’t think she’s realized the reaction to her is far more important than anything she’s said. Imagine if she was angry. Imagine if she was visibly colored. Imagine if she was non-hetero. Imagine if she was overweight. Imagine if she was poor. Imagine if she was promiscuous. Imagine if her gender was non-binary.

Imagine if she talked about any of the problems those people experience within the gaming community on top of the simplest feminist dialogue. Anita’s content is mediocre, forgettable, and non-challenging. The reaction gamers have had to what Anita has said is unforgettably, unforgivably hosed-up and depressingly revealing.

If you’re looking for alternatives – other women who have the righteous anger necessary to tear down what needs to be deconstructed – there are a lot of game critics that talk about social issues going on with games in ways more meaningful than Anita Sarkeesian. I feel like a lot of them have poor criticisms when it comes to a game’s mechanical proficiencies (there aren’t many I’d read regarding the finer points of classic gaming, for example), but there’s an abundance of feminist voices out there harshly criticizing things wrong with games today in ways that they need to be criticized.

It’s worth noting that I am not familiar with Anita’s personal and professional backgrounds. I have, however, seen her post with a humongous stack of Xbox 360 games, noticed that her apartment has looked quite nice in her videos, and if I remember correctly, observed that her recording equipment even prior to receiving funding was pretty nice.

From this, I can extrapolate that she’s probably well off. From that, I can assume she’s going to have a pretty sheltered perspective on what many marginalized peoples experience. Has she said anything about queer women? Women of color? I’ve not heard anything, so I’m going to assume no, probably not. While it’s possible she has had a rougher background than what I’m assuming, I think her work speaks for itself in how it seems to rarely, if ever, cover more than the “average” woman.

I’ve also heard from numerous sources that her last video has a lot of uncomfortable language revolving around slut-shaming and denigration of sex workers and the promiscuous, which further supports my assumption that she’s well-off and sheltered from a lot of heavily marginalized women.

From the videos I have seen and the writing on her site, she takes an academic approach, which leads me to assume she’s probably received a college education and again reinforces my belief she’s sheltered from many particularly marginalized female voices. I don’t much care for academic approaches, because I feel like they’re a hands-off approach (which is extremely inappropriate for social issues and video games, which literally require you to put your hands upon something). Academia is also something I believe exists to support those already within its structure, and I find its structure to be extremely ableist and classist.

I really and genuinely think that what she’s doing is important, and by no means whatsoever do I want her to stop doing it. As I said, by mere nature of being a prominently visible feminist in gaming and not backing down, that alone is doing amazing things in drawing out and making people aware of how toxic and awful gaming culture is.

However, her feminism feels really textbook and academic. It glosses over a lot of extremely marginalized types of women and has this almost sterile approach to educating people on what I consider to be really obvious tropes. Her work is a pretty good introduction for the uninitiated, but only as a first baby step.

Tropes Vs. Women is shallow, it sugarcoats. It feels like a privileged perspective for people with privileged perspectives to maybe kinda start questioning things. It works at a slow pace and contrary to the disgusting vitriol it has drawn, is way too calm, like it is worried it’s going to offend the giant, temperamental baby it’s attempting to teach. Gaming culture’s persistent and deliberate toxicity doesn’t need an academic dissection of tropes, it needs a violent takedown. Wouldn't you agree with that, Al-Saqr?

Jack Gladney posted:

Does she wear an astronaut diaper, or is her pee filtered and recycled into the suit's cooling system?

What does she eat in there?

emeriin posted:

On the topic on Anita's liveliness, I believe she said once she can't afford to even make jokes because it's too dangerous. And I heard her on a livestream once last year, and it was genuinely surprising to hear her sounding like she was having fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWCj8ejKj4

Omnicrom posted:

I actually went to one of the talks she gave, and she's more lively there but really only just. One of the things that stuck out to me was one of her introductory remarks, she described the endless torrent of stupid hate as merely a time sink, she says her videos take longer than before because she wants to do a good job by all the money people are giving her and because dealing with the stupid assholes takes time. She really made it sound like drudgery, she gets so much inchoate hatred that it's just tedious. I agree, I don't really think she's all that eager to do these videos anymore, but on the other hand I don't think she wants to be seen as backing down from the interminable drudgery that is her ridiculous hatedom.
http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/109319269825/one-week-of-harassment-on-twitter

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 4, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

DStecks posted:

No you really didn't.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

loving hell, I can't tell who's worse, gamergaters or the cruel god that allows the abomination that is their existance.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

WickedHate posted:

loving hell, I can't tell who's worse, gamergaters or the cruel god that allows the abomination that is their existance.

Next they will be hailed as the two messenger of God!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Jack Gladney posted:

Does she wear an astronaut diaper, or is her pee filtered and recycled into the suit's cooling system?

What does she eat in there?

Jeez, why should Anita's clothing come into this discussion? :colbert:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Cyron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FjLEMA0F0

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Now that he's done Blue the only song I really wan't Todd to do a OHW on is The Reason.

Ok, maybe if he could just do a slightly longer ep about lovely dance music that was only big in the UK, that could be good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cyron posted:

If anyone want to say how a sword can beat a gun

Whaaat? You want to beat my bum?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box A posted:

I’ve also heard from numerous sources that her last video has a lot of uncomfortable language revolving around slut-shaming and denigration of sex workers and the promiscuous, which further supports my assumption that she’s well-off and sheltered from a lot of heavily marginalized women.

It is interesting to read this, because on another site I sometimes visit, one poster raised a similar criticism (from a feminist perspective, from what I understood) of Anita's videos; she said that while she agrees with the basic thrust of them, and while she wants to support what Anita does, she doesn't feel comfortable watching her videos because she thinks they come across as sex-negative. I haven't watched any of Anita's videos myself, so I don't know if that's a fair or accurate comment, but this part of your post (your post in general, really) reminded me of that.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ok, maybe if he could just do a slightly longer ep about lovely dance music that was only big in the UK, that could be good.

Remember when ringtone music was a thing? I don't just mean Crazy Frog, Sweetie the Chick and Nessie the Dragon, but when ringtones were advertised on Channel 4. You could text a number and get a really bad MIDI version of "Mr Lonely" sent straight to your Nokia 3310!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

It does kind of suck that she's committed to making all those videos now and probably really isn't too into making them anymore. What really sucks is that there's so much negativity in the whole "Tropes vs. Women" theme. When I saw Amazing Atheist's new vid and saw the list of vids she still had to do to fulfill her kickstarter agreement it just looked miserable. Every video just seemed like such a downer. The whole "tropes vs. women" theme is all about pointing out the bad aspects of games, without accentuating any positives. It's no wonder she's switching gears now and trying portray a positive example for once. It's too bad she chose a blank slate of a character with no personality whatsoever. Still, I can't feel too bad for her because she's probably making way more money than all of the internet critics out there. She could walk away from this if she wanted to. If she really wanted to she could just buckle down, lock herself away from her accounts and ignore her critics for awhile so she could pound out shorter videos as quickly as possible to fulfill her agreement and walk away. I know I have to do that sometimes when I have projects to complete and need to take away my internet distractions, but it can be very difficult. But, if she can't do that, she can just give up on the project altogether and maybe donate the remaining money to charity. I'm sure her backers would forgive her. Yes, there will be a backlash from her critics as always, but it will die down as people move on to other things. Still, I don't think she wants to walk away from all that money and power and I'm not sure I would either if I were in her place.

There are actually positive examples in most videos. It's not negativity to think carefully about something, especially if it's something you enjoy. That lesson in particular seems to be something a lot of her critics need to learn.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is interesting to read this, because on another site I sometimes visit, one poster raised a similar criticism (from a feminist perspective, from what I understood) of Anita's videos; she said that while she agrees with the basic thrust of them, and while she wants to support what Anita does, she doesn't feel comfortable watching her videos because she thinks they come across as sex-negative. I haven't watched any of Anita's videos myself, so I don't know if that's a fair or accurate comment, but this part of your post (your post in general, really) reminded me of that.

Sex positivity is about respecting the agency and intelligence of individual living people, like not assuming they're victims who need to be rescued just because they wear hijabs or work as prostitutes. You can't be sex-positive about media like movies or tv because the people in them aren't real. They're reflections of the ideas of the people who make them, and if you want to understand those ideas you need to keep them available for discussion. You can't shame the princess in Super Mario for being passive because she isn't real, and you can't celebrate her choice to embrace her role because she can't make any choices on account of not being real. There are two different levels of understanding here.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cyron posted:

wow, so now we're looking at rap sheets? is this the direction we're going in?!

holy poo poo the level of antagonism for saying that I find her delivery style boring and her alternative designs drab is really something. maybe we should have a rule in this thread to never discuss anything ever even in the content of Anitas work ever, since even that's too much for some people. in any case. I just brought up a review score as an example of how one single definition of what good character design 'should' be can sometimes be inflexible but ok I guess that's something I shouldn't talk about either.

Just to be clear:-

a) I think anita should keep doing what she's doing unfettered and undisturbed, more success? more power to her.

b) I just happen to personally find her delivery style very monotone and boring. and her alternative choices for character designs drab and inflexible, when the choices available to designing characters that are visually striking and fit their personality can be a lot wider in entertainment art.

But whatever a single 24 hour probation that I learnt my lesson from makes me an inhuman monster who shouldn't have an opinion on peoples work I guess.

quote:

I really and genuinely think that what she’s doing is important, and by no means whatsoever do I want her to stop doing it. As I said, by mere nature of being a prominently visible feminist in gaming and not backing down, that alone is doing amazing things in drawing out and making people aware of how toxic and awful gaming culture is.

However, her feminism feels really textbook and academic. It glosses over a lot of extremely marginalized types of women and has this almost sterile approach to educating people on what I consider to be really obvious tropes. Her work is a pretty good introduction for the uninitiated, but only as a first baby step.

Tropes Vs. Women is shallow, it sugarcoats. It feels like a privileged perspective for people with privileged perspectives to maybe kinda start questioning things. It works at a slow pace and contrary to the disgusting vitriol it has drawn, is way too calm, like it is worried it’s going to offend the giant, temperamental baby it’s attempting to teach. Gaming culture’s persistent and deliberate toxicity doesn’t need an academic dissection of tropes, it needs a violent takedown. Wouldn't you agree with that, Al-Saqr?

well I'm not well versed enough in feminist literature and dialogue to give any kind of opinion as to the levels of 'privilege' she might or might not have, but I agree that she's very brave for continuing to do what she's doing, that the level of toxicity and hate she's receiving is absolutely insane and should be fought back against. I personally would prefer her to start being a little more brazen and active in her videos (if she's going to get hounded anyways she might as well fight it full on.), but maybe she's not that type of person. It does seem like she has this 'academic outsider looking in' levels of superficiality, considering how the vast majority of her audience are already gamers she could go in deeper and go a little more head-on with the way she expresses herself.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

well I'm not well versed enough in feminist literature and dialogue to give any kind of opinion as to the levels of 'privilege' she might or might not have, but I agree that she's very brave for continuing to do what she's doing, that the level of toxicity and hate she's receiving is absolutely insane and should be fought back against. I personally would prefer her to start being a little more brazen and active in her videos (if she's going to get hounded anyways she might as well fight it full on.), but maybe she's not that type of person. It does seem like she has this 'academic outsider looking in' levels of superficiality, considering how the vast majority of her audience are already gamers she could go in deeper and go a little more head-on with the way she expresses herself.

It's less to do with personality and more to do with having that poo poo infecting your life. It's very easy to say you'll fight back against trolls on a forum when there's so many degrees of separation between you and the people you're fighting against, but when they start calling your house or threatening places you go to, that's a very different level of real and it's scary, scary poo poo.

She could be as antagonistic as a Teletubbie and people will still throw insults at her, and really, the points she's making are not meant to be antagonistic to begin with, even if the people who are against her take them as such. I don't see much point in starting to kick an anthill when it's already ten feet tall.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

You've felt the need to tell the thread three times now how boring you find her. Ok. Noted.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when ringtone music was a thing? I don't just mean Crazy Frog, Sweetie the Chick and Nessie the Dragon, but when ringtones were advertised on Channel 4. You could text a number and get a really bad MIDI version of "Mr Lonely" sent straight to your Nokia 3310!

Kim Justice did a whole video on the Crazy Frog. That thing even got a couple of kart games.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The interesting thing about Samus is that she's like Wonder Woman. They're both the highest profile female characters of their respective mediums, I happen to be a fan of both videogames and comics, and I'm also a fan of both their respective companies (Nintendo and DC, respectively). However, neither of them know what the gently caress to do with them, because they immediately follow up a really good run (The "Prime" games for Samus and Brian Azzarello For Wondie) with utter poo poo (Other M/The Finches), not to mention the ugly histories of exploitatiton that both companies have done with both characters in order to cheaply appease with their core fanbase. What I'm saying is, Samus' predicament isn't new and it's a drat shame that Nintendo won't learn from another company with another high profile female character of what not the gently caress to do because at this point, unlike Wonder Woman, Samus is bound for obscurity (unless Nintendo is planning some kind of giant Super Smash Bros movie project a la "The Avengers" but I'm not holding my breath).

Oh and to the whole Zero Suit discussion, yeah, it's exploitation. Even if someone were to say it's meant for comfort, Samus' power suit could be padded from the inside to compensate instead of having her wear something that skin-tight. The armor point is useless too because form-fitting armor is superfluous--armor is generally made to be bulky as possible and even personal armor like kevlar vests, meant to fit underneath clothes, are still bulky as hell. It's just there to titilate and that level in "Zero Mission"where she's running around wearing nothing but that and you have to sneak around the space pirate base was the absolute worst part of the game. The Metroid series and Samus really did and does deserve better but Nintendo won't listen.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 4, 2015

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Benny the Snake posted:

The interesting thing about Samus is that she's like Wonder Woman. They're both the highest profile female characters of their respective mediums, I happen to be a fan of both videogames and comics, and I'm also a fan of both their respective companies (Nintendo and DC, respectively). However, neither of them know what the gently caress to do with them, because they immediately follow up a really good run (The "Prime" games for Samus and Brian Azzarello For Wondie) with utter poo poo (Other M/The Finches), not to mention the ugly histories of exploitatiton that both companies have done with both characters in order to cheaply appease with their core fanbase. What I'm saying is, Samus' predicament isn't new and it's a drat shame that Nintendo won't learn from another company with another high profile female character of what not the gently caress to do because at this point, unlike Wonder Woman, Samus is bound for obscurity (unless Nintendo is planning some kind of giant Super Smash Bros movie project a la "The Avengers" but I'm not holding my breath).

Oh and to the whole Zero Suit discussion, yeah, it's exploitation. Even if someone were to say it's meant for comfort, Samus' power suit could be padded from the inside to compensate instead of having her wear something that skin-tight. The armor point is useless too because form-fitting armor is superfluous--armor is generally made to be bulky as possible and even personal armor like kevlar vests, meant to fit underneath clothes, are still bulky as hell. It's just there to titilate and that level in "Zero Mission"where she's running around wearing nothing but that and you have to sneak around the space pirate base was the absolute worst part of the game. The Metroid series and Samus really did and does deserve better but Nintendo won't listen.

This is provably partly because the Metroid games aren't very popular in Japan and Japanese companies tend to prefer to pander to their domestic bases than their international ones. In fact, Other M was made as an attempt to create a Metroid game that would appeal to Japanese players.

It sold like poo poo there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Sex positivity is about respecting the agency and intelligence of individual living people, like not assuming they're victims who need to be rescued just because they wear hijabs or work as prostitutes. You can't be sex-positive about media like movies or tv because the people in them aren't real. They're reflections of the ideas of the people who make them, and if you want to understand those ideas you need to keep them available for discussion. You can't shame the princess in Super Mario for being passive because she isn't real, and you can't celebrate her choice to embrace her role because she can't make any choices on account of not being real. There are two different levels of understanding here.

Sounds fair. I mean, I'm not probably not familiar enough with some of the ideas, but that clarifies things a bit. :shrug:

• Locked thread