Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suvivarium isn't good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The guns sound real nice though

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Robot Randy posted:

The guns sound real nice though

Probably the best part about it. The SKS sounds about as close to a real SKS as I've heard in media. Good pair of headphones makes the game great. I've never heard the "chatter of gunfire" until this game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Downloaded Survarium(?) and other than a very very vague aesthetic closeness in looks to STALKER it doesn't have anything compared in terms of quality.

It's just roaming around lovely maps shooting enemies in a never ending team deathmatch. Not only can't you pick up weapons (you have a mosin and the other guy decided to waste money on the game to have an AK-74 at level 3? Tough luck!) but you can't even pick up ammo. If you use a Ppsh and a Makarov they'll both share ammo so when you run out of smg bullets you also run out of pistol bullets. Have fun meeleing people!

It's just a terrible arcade shooter game. Super disapointing. At least it's free.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Mans posted:

Downloaded Survarium(?) and other than a very very vague aesthetic closeness in looks to STALKER it doesn't have anything compared in terms of quality.

It's just roaming around lovely maps shooting enemies in a never ending team deathmatch. Not only can't you pick up weapons (you have a mosin and the other guy decided to waste money on the game to have an AK-74 at level 3? Tough luck!) but you can't even pick up ammo. If you use a Ppsh and a Makarov they'll both share ammo so when you run out of smg bullets you also run out of pistol bullets. Have fun meeleing people!

It's just a terrible arcade shooter game. Super disapointing. At least it's free.

Their F2P model owns because you can buy a 25$ gun or whatever but you wont have the equivalent rank armor so you basically paid 25$ to hold a fancy gun while getting your rear end in a top hat reamed

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you want to pay $25 to get reamed you can always donate to star citizen.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
But with survarium you can actually see and use your purchase

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Survairiarium is good and fun. The maps and gunplay are great. However if you're averse to f2p multiplayer shooters, which most goons seemingly are, then I have no idea why you'd even bother downloading it.

The new NA servers aren't as good as I was hoping though, still get over 100 ping.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 4, 2015

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Mans posted:

This is also, I feel it has to be emphasized, a beta. This is primarily there to test the netcode and make sure the mechanics of the game are functional. The part that I expect most of you are interested in, with the anomalies and exploration and other STALKER-y poo poo, is not out yet, so don't get too worried.

Personally, I really like the lethality of the guns; it very much reminds me of the early parts of any of the STALKER games where you're running around in a jacket with a busted-up shotgun that jams every third shot.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If it's a beta, a lack of content is totally understandable.

I know little of the game except that it's from ex GSC devs, what is the idea of the game? A big free roaming shooter á la DayZ minus the zombies?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frank.club posted:

Suvivarium isn't good

Hold up you guys might be right I'll change this opinion in a bit

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

I know little of the game except that it's from ex GSC devs, what is the idea of the game? A big free roaming shooter á la DayZ minus the zombies?

Their end goal is having PvE free roam with quests and the usual STALKERy crap. Currently it's still pretty early in beta, which makes it peculiar that they didn't release it on steam as early access, but I can see early access having a bad rep lately. Right now they're focusing on getting the gameplay and levelling stuff working for discrete PvP matches on contained maps, which are a lot easier to develop for. Previously they only had servers hosted in EU and Russia, but they finally released some NA servers the other day. There’s a couple of the usual DM game modes, but the game mode I find the most fun is where you search for battery things hidden throughout the map and return them to your base, or steal batteries from the opposing team’s base and bring back to yours. First to 10 batteries or whichever team has the most at the end of the match wins. However, because of the recent release on steam, there are a lot of new players that are locked to just TDM for the first few levels or something. So right now it’s hard to find a match for anything other than low level TDM. And since the majority of players are low level now, the higher level players tend to get put into lower level matches, resulting in the aforementioned AKs cleaning house on new players with just mosins. You can actually see how the matchmaking works while you wait, it’s kinda nifty. The playerbase should balance out after a couple weeks.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 4, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lamprey Cannon posted:

This is also, I feel it has to be emphasized, a beta. This is primarily there to test the netcode and make sure the mechanics of the game are functional. The part that I expect most of you are interested in, with the anomalies and exploration and other STALKER-y poo poo, is not out yet, so don't get too worried.

Personally, I really like the lethality of the guns; it very much reminds me of the early parts of any of the STALKER games where you're running around in a jacket with a busted-up shotgun that jams every third shot.

Well, it might improve in the future and i certainly hope i can play STALKER online someday. But the way i saw it the game looked like it was trying to be an arena shooter with no sense of balance between free and cash equipment. And not being able to pick up ammo and guns made playing TDM unfun because you had to literally kill yourself after four or five kills.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's starting to grow on me. The f2p model sucks tho but I might be willing to throw cash at it if/when it gets pve stuff

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I doubt I'll touch it before they get pve stuff because I have no interest in a stalker deathmatch game

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jehde posted:

Survairiarium is good and fun. The maps and gunplay are great. However if you're averse to f2p multiplayer shooters, which most goons seemingly are, then I have no idea why you'd even bother downloading it.

The new NA servers aren't as good as I was hoping though, still get over 100 ping.

If you didn't manually switch yourself on the website you're still on EU/RU servers

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mans posted:

Well, it might improve in the future and i certainly hope i can play STALKER online someday. But the way i saw it the game looked like it was trying to be an arena shooter with no sense of balance between free and cash equipment. And not being able to pick up ammo and guns made playing TDM unfun because you had to literally kill yourself after four or five kills.

Actually it's one of the best balanced f2p games out there, I don't think you quite understand how it works. You can purchase weapons using the in game currency you get from each match, or buy premium currency to buy the same stuff with. The only thing that only premium currency can buy is customizations like camo and decals. But the thing that matters is that each weapon (and armour, and ammo, etc) has a different equipment level, so different loadouts will have different overall equipment levels. The equipment level is what determines who you get matched up with, not your experience level. This is something a lot of new players don't get because it's not really explained in the game. So if you just start the game and spend a bunch of money buying an AK, then you'll be put in matches with other people with AKs and similarly leveled equipment. However, because as mentioned before, there's a lot of new blood, so the matchmaking is a bit wonky right now.

I don't know why you're so insistant on being able to pick up guns from dead bodies, this isn't STALKER where you can just nick a VSS to make everything trivial. Yes it's currently a loadout based arena shooter, if you're averse to this, then it's not for you. There may be some looting aspect in the PvE part, but it's just PvP for now. Being able to resupply ammo at the base or something would be nice, but I never run out of ammo unless I'm dumb and forget to restock before a match. May I suggest not wasting ammo so much? If you're running out of ammo after 4-5 kills then you are wasting a whole lot. Also there's no point in taking the TT33 along with the PPSh, take the TT33 if you're using the mosin.

Robot Randy posted:

If you didn't manually switch yourself on the website you're still on EU/RU servers

I did manually switch on the website, but I suspect they only bought one server farm on the east coast or something. They are a small studio in Ukraine though so it's understandable that they have very limited resources. 100 is a lot less than 200 though so I shouldn't complain too much. :v:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 4, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jehde posted:

Actually it's one of the best balanced f2p games out there, I don't think you quite understand how it works. You can purchase weapons using the in game currency you get from each match, or buy premium currency to buy the same stuff with. The only thing that only premium currency can buy is customizations like camo and decals. But the thing that matters is that each weapon (and armour, and ammo, etc) has a different equipment level, so different loadouts will have different overall equipment levels. The equipment level is what determines who you get matched up with, not your experience level. This is something a lot of new players don't get because it's not really explained in the game. So if you just start the game and spend a bunch of money buying an AK, then you'll be put in matches with other people with AKs and similarly leveled equipment. However, because as mentioned before, there's a lot of new blood, so the matchmaking is a bit wonky right now.

I don't know why you're so insistant on being able to pick up guns from dead bodies, this isn't STALKER where you can just nick a VSS to make everything trivial. Yes it's currently a loadout based arena shooter, if you're averse to this, then it's not for you. There may be some looting aspect in the PvE part, but it's just PvP for now. Being able to resupply ammo at the base or something would be nice, but I never run out of ammo unless I'm dumb and forget to restock before a match. May I suggest not wasting ammo so much? If you're running out of ammo after 4-5 kills then you are wasting a whole lot. Also there's no point in taking the TT33 along with the PPSh, take the TT33 if you're using the mosin.

I did manually switch on the website, but I suspect they only bought one server farm on the east coast or something. They are a small studio in Ukraine though so it's understandable that they have very limited resources. 100 is a lot less than 200 though so I shouldn't complain too much. :v:

Yeah plus you can get an over under with slugs pretty quick and bam it's amazing

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah forgot to mention, the sawed-off side-by-side can be used as a sidearm, with shot or slugs. It's amazingly effective and probably the best sidearm until you unlock the APS, and even still.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
You can resupply ammo from your spawn, and im p sure autobuy is ticked on automatically

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

You can resupply ammo from your spawn, and im p sure autobuy is ticked on automatically

Oh, well then. :v: Are the ammo resupply points marked on the minimap? I haven't had to restock ammo after a match in forever, but that definitely used to be a thing.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Jehde posted:

Oh, well then. :v: Are the ammo resupply points marked on the minimap? I haven't had to restock ammo after a match in forever, but that definitely used to be a thing.

It looks like a grey crate on the minimap

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Bolow posted:

It looks like a grey crate on the minimap

This just shows how little the devs have explained. Me and DarkDobe are part of the "old guard", so any questions about poo poo should be tossed our way. So much of the game is discovered by trial and error, but (at least in my case) when figured out really expands the game lifetime.

I personally love it, as it nails a certain flow and handling that I haven't found in any other FPS recently. But it's definitely not for everyone, and as the early game can be a slog playing alone (Nevermind how much it seems like everyone is hacking; it's actually pretty rare).

If you're looking for a hard PvP shooter that requires some serious attention to sound and has a prevalence of one shot kills, Survarium might be for you. Give it a go, friend us and squad up, and if it doesn't jive no worries. But if it does, and you put in some time to master the mechanics, it has some of the most rewarding moments in any game (immediately followed by being teamkilled by a noob who knows nothing). Earlier today I had a match where I went 28/4 or something, and for most of it my heart was pounding and I was so in the zone (lol) I didn't even have to think. A quick check of the map, no friendlies ahead, some footsteps echoing down the corridor and then a massacre perpetrated by me.

It honestly reminds me of my experience with Hotline Miami 2. That rush of adrenaline, the knowledge that you have to trust your reactions and the tension that comes with that. Then a few minutes of calm, when you can't find any enemies but can hear gunfire in the distance. So you follow the source, knowing in a moment your life will be decided by the twitch reactions you've so effortlessly cultivated.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 5, 2015

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

And then you raise your AKM at the waiting target, he sees you and sprays you down from 50m out with an smg :negative:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found out about tk'ing because of some dude who perfectly Ron Perlman'd into my shot. I got the collateral and killed the guy I was aiming for too. I'm down to squad up are your steam names same as your forums

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
my steam profile is /robotrandy if anyone wants to add me

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Ahundredbux posted:

Aren't betas supposed to be feature-complete?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

drkeiscool posted:

Aren't betas supposed to be feature-complete?

:rolleyes: I admit its hard to define what a beta should be these days

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Installed Misery 2.1.1, got into the game and decided to change my controls. X-Ray engine has stopped working. Yup.

EDIT: Now I can change my options, but I get random CTDs. No error message the game just went poof, but the XREngine process was still running.

live free or dont fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 5, 2015

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sajeezzar posted:

Installed Misery 2.1.1, got into the game and decided to change my controls. X-Ray engine has stopped working. Yup.

EDIT: Now I can change my options, but I get random CTDs. No error message the game just went poof, but the XREngine process was still running.

There's always an error message, it's just in your log instead of being immediately presented to you.

If you find the appdata folder for the game (assuming you're using Steam version) go to logs in there and look at the only one you can open with Notepad. Go the bottom of the log and copy/paste the "Fatal Error" section.

--
So for Radium/UWR, I hosed up when removing the static lighting renderer and now the game is crashing for me and Ddraig when trying out the new engine. It'll take a little while but I'm going to have to add it back.
I may take advantage of this opportunity and just port all the changes to the newest version of the engine, which has an updated version of both libogg and libvorbis :)

The tripping feature is also not working as intended for some reason. The console command used works, but you have to restart the game before the shader-part of the tripping effect works. Pisses me off that Xray was coded this way.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Just generally speaking, does anybody have any recommendations on how to move around at any reasonable speed in Lost Alpha? I've just finished raiding X18, and now I need to take the documents back to Sin HQ, and the car I drove is flipped over (because of course it is). Are there any shortcuts/fast travel options/console commands to get me there faster?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I've been recruited into Radium (formerly UWR) as the 'gameplay' guy, I guess. Pretty excited as this is the first project that actually has other people involved with it aswell.

Swartz is keeping a lot of stuff under wraps for the moment so given the limited options I have I figured I'd get started on creating a Zone that actually 'feels' alive.

One of the (many) things I disliked about Misery is how they tried to make the Zone seem more 'alive' with the random assortment of miscellaneous trash items without really giving consideration of how stalkers would use them or any sort of real sense that these might be things that don't exist merely to provide a different economy stream via selling them.

A good example is how outside of selling them or the items just existing on corpses there's no real sense that stalkers even know these things exist. I guess it's hard to explain...

I personally think that interactions with npcs are a much more effective way of providing a zone that is 'alive' rather than just dumping random crap around and assuming that people will think "This is a shaving kit, I guess stalkers use razors!" (even though everyone in the Zone has a beard, in Misery's case).

I'm using Nimble as a bit of an example with this. I've coded in an option for him to import 'luxury' items. Nimble is portrayed as being the guy who can get stuff, so why is it exclusively limited to weapons/armor? In a place as isolating and depressing as the Zone can be, you'd think Nimble (who has been around a bit) would understand that people living in such a place would be very thankful for pointless little items that remind them of home. So I've given him the ability to also go on order runs for various sorts of 'home made' foods that you wouldn't normally find in the Zone. Stuff like homemade cakes, moonshine, proper 'cooked' food etc.

I guess these are also largely pointless items in that they're essentially just extra sources of food but by limiting them to Nimble and having the option for them sort of creates a more vibrant sense that the Zone is actually a place where people live, often for a long time, and doesn't really exist solely for the player to have somewhere to shoot people etc.

I guess I'm a stickler for things like this but most of the games I find the most immersive actually take the time to think about little things that are sort of taken for granted. "Where do people get food?" is a good example.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Skin cream, for the Fruity Rudy in every S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Swartz is keeping a lot of stuff under wraps for the moment so given the limited options I have I figured I'd get started on creating a Zone that actually 'feels' alive.

I don't mean to keep things under wraps, I just have a lot of unfinished content and I get embarrassed if it's not perfect. If you want the alpha early I could zip it up tonight, you'll just have to understand it has some issues (for the most part: no new ui icons, misaligned sights for guns, guns with poo poo animations). That's really about it, and so far it's still just basically a gun mod as things are lagging. If you do want it early though give me a good 12 hours as it's a big mod and will take a while to upload.

Also working on adding the R1 renderer back so you can actually work with the mod ;)

Another thing I did another "whoopsie": I renamed the save games something obscene as a test, and it turns out the game will refuse to load them, so I have to change that back :)

Also, I know you're good with scripts obviously, but have you ever tinkered with a game engine's source code? It's really not that hard (I don't know C++ yet I'm adding working code) and I get the feeling you'd get the hang of it if you tried it out. I can send you the source if you want, once I modify it to work again, if that interests you.

BTW, sending you an email with those configs and scripts I mentioned :)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I am absolutely terrible at anything to do with weapons, in COP/CS especially as the way they're implemented there is even more incomprehensible to me than in SOC where everything is just contained in one file, so I'm kind of glad there's someone else doing that stuff.

And sure I'll take a look at the source if you're willing. Always looking to learn new things, I guess.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

I am absolutely terrible at anything to do with weapons, in COP/CS especially as the way they're implemented there is even more incomprehensible to me than in SOC where everything is just contained in one file, so I'm kind of glad there's someone else doing that stuff.

And sure I'll take a look at the source if you're willing. Always looking to learn new things, I guess.

Emailed link to source base I'm using. Will give you my version when I'm done fixing the code and removing the pre-compiled .libs.
I'll be up late, so you'll likely get this today (depending on your time zone, I haven't looked up the time in the UK).

Also, did you want the current progress I have of Radium uploaded? If so let me know so I can get started uploading it, because as I said it takes a while.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ddraig posted:

So I've been recruited into Radium (formerly UWR) as the 'gameplay' guy, I guess. Pretty excited as this is the first project that actually has other people involved with it aswell.

One of the (many) things I disliked about Misery is how they tried to make the Zone seem more 'alive' with the random assortment of miscellaneous trash items without really giving consideration of how stalkers would use them or any sort of real sense that these might be things that don't exist merely to provide a different economy stream via selling them.

A good example is how outside of selling them or the items just existing on corpses there's no real sense that stalkers even know these things exist. I guess it's hard to explain...

I personally think that interactions with npcs are a much more effective way of providing a zone that is 'alive' rather than just dumping random crap around and assuming that people will think "This is a shaving kit, I guess stalkers use razors!" (even though everyone in the Zone has a beard, in Misery's case).

I'm using Nimble as a bit of an example with this. I've coded in an option for him to import 'luxury' items. Nimble is portrayed as being the guy who can get stuff, so why is it exclusively limited to weapons/armor? In a place as isolating and depressing as the Zone can be, you'd think Nimble (who has been around a bit) would understand that people living in such a place would be very thankful for pointless little items that remind them of home. So I've given him the ability to also go on order runs for various sorts of 'home made' foods that you wouldn't normally find in the Zone. Stuff like homemade cakes, moonshine, proper 'cooked' food etc.

I guess these are also largely pointless items in that they're essentially just extra sources of food but by limiting them to Nimble and having the option for them sort of creates a more vibrant sense that the Zone is actually a place where people live, often for a long time, and doesn't really exist solely for the player to have somewhere to shoot people etc.

I guess I'm a stickler for things like this but most of the games I find the most immersive actually take the time to think about little things that are sort of taken for granted. "Where do people get food?" is a good example.

If you're looking for stuff to add, I always find myself hoarding premium liquors in every open world game I play. There's something fun about building your "stash." Maybe some premium vodkas, etc?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I can't keep up anymore--is there somewhere i can patch up my lost alpha to the latest?

Whats the latest CoP mods? last one i was doing was SGM 2 which was insane and the new misery had just come out and totally sucked.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I think I'm done with Misery. I don't mind the difficulty that much, but the crashing and instability is killing me. Zaton was OK for the most part, only a few crashes, but in Jupiter every time I go to the east side of the map past the quarry the game gets increasingly unstable. I don't know if it's got something to do with the lighting (Using DX11 with most settings at max) because I read that DX10 and 11 have been causing some problems in STALKER and every time I load a save the game resets all the lighting and it looks weird as gently caress.

What the gently caress is up with Jupiter by the way? 4 poltergeists, burers and controllers inside a building that I can't get near because I die even with a shitload of psy protection. It's like the devs decided to "make the game hard" by just putting a huge amount of mutants in some places. Iron Forest was ridiculous too, but I just sniped the controller and poltergeists then stood on top of the chopper and plinked at the 5 bloodsuckers with my AK. The mod feels stupidly unfair, even though I love the difficulty. NPCs that spray infinite bullets at you and don't care about anomalies or shots to the head while I have to sell my rear end to Owl for 30 7.62 bullets and die instantly when I even look at a flame anomaly or catch a stray 9mm bullet from some elf eyed motherfucker firing a pistol behind a wall of fog. Seriously, one guy just walked casually into the anomalous grove in Jupiter. He didn't give a gently caress. It's a shame that I have to tweak some things myself in the settings like making the NPCs take as much damage as I am taking and poo poo like that.

Arghy posted:

I can't keep up anymore--is there somewhere i can patch up my lost alpha to the latest?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/downloads I think the latest patch is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Sajeezzar posted:

What the gently caress is up with Jupiter by the way? 4 poltergeists, burers and controllers inside a building that I can't get near because I die even with a shitload of psy protection.

To be fair, the Jupiter Plant (the outside) always struck me as being far too barren in vanilla CoP. Some mercs and dogs, and I think a psydog, maybe?

To be fair again, I've never played Misery, so maybe somewhere in the middle ground would be cool.