Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

For a dude in his 20s, I enjoy listening to crotchety old Jim Cornette far more than I probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sockser posted:

For a dude in his 20s, I enjoy listening to crotchety old Jim Cornette far more than I probably should.

Im as crotchety as Cornette so I enjoy him

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo part two of Jake the Snake on Pipers podcast is real loving dark, holy poo poo. I can understand why jake had substance problems.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope Bryan is just spitballing about the ER main event being Rollins/Orton/Reigns, because I'm really not eager to see a third straight title match be a triple threat. That's one area where you can legit say "going to the well too many times."

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Benne posted:

I hope Bryan is just spitballing about the ER main event being Rollins/Orton/Reigns, because I'm really not eager to see a third straight title match be a triple threat. That's one area where you can legit say "going to the well too many times."

god I hope it's just rollins/orton just because that'll be a good match and they need to get roman out of the main event picture for a little while. Let him punch Wade Barrett for a while or something.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark
Reigns vs. El Torito - Spear vs. Gore
I legit guarantee that would get Reigns over like no one else on the roster.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Gatorfade posted:

But then I would be chanting for Rhino to show off a real gore.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

Retromancer posted:

god I hope it's just rollins/orton just because that'll be a good match and they need to get roman out of the main event picture for a little while. Let him punch Wade Barrett for a while or something.

Big Show is coming off his Andre Battle Royal win, he's just the sort of hot up and coming star for Reigns to prove himself against, especially in front of a Chicago crowd.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Korelle posted:

Big Show is coming off his Andre Battle Royal win, he's just the sort of hot up and coming star for Reigns to prove himself against, especially in front of a Chicago crowd.

We kid, but you know if he won the title that's who his first opponent would be, that or Kane.

Oh yeah, think Big Show is turning face soon? Since Randy congratulated him on his Win and then ran down Kane and Rollins.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Big show has probably turned three times in the time it took me to post this

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Craig is okay except for the occasional "jesus christ craig" moment.

We've gone too long without National Treasure Dr. Karl Stern chat. I need to catch up on his shows.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rodney the Piper posted:

We've gone too long without National Treasure Dr. Karl Stern chat. I need to catch up on his shows.

I'm never up to date on Stern because I usually save his shows for last since they're not really time sensitive.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Gatorfade posted:

This just reminded me that we're approaching a year since WeeLC.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rodney the Piper posted:

I'm glad he's feeling better

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sockser posted:

Sometimes his "get off my lawn" schtick gets a little cringeworthy when he gets into politics or cultural issues. For being a guy that spent 30 years in front of large groups of people, he's really misanthropic.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

coconono posted:

Sometimes his "get off my lawn" schtick gets a little cringeworthy when he gets into politics or cultural issues. For being a guy that spent 30 years in front of large groups of people, he's really misanthropic.

well yeah

if i spent 30 years mostly in front of nwa crowds i'd be cynical too

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

well yeah

if i spent 30 years mostly in front of nwa crowds i'd be cynical too

My theory is that Jim has unresolved PTSD from his time in Mid-South. Those fans were goddamned insane.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

coconono posted:

as far as his political rants go I pretty much agree with everything he has to say since it's usually how evil and greedy republican politicians are but I wouldn't know what to think if he actually influences anybody who didn't already know

Eleanor Pwnsevelt fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 3, 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

as far as his political rants go I pretty much agree with everything he has to say since it's usually how evil and greedy republican politicians are but I wouldn't know what to think if he actually influences anybody who didn't already know

It's funny that "Bitter old Democrat" is somehow a relief compared to how stereotypical the other side is

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

CombineThresher posted:

My theory is that Jim has unresolved PTSD from his time in Mid-South. Those fans were goddamned insane.

Last week I watched that angle where they tared and feathered Magnum TA and it looked like fans had to be restrained. It was a near riot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gatorfade posted:

Last week I watched that angle where they tared and feathered Magnum TA and it looked like fans had to be restrained. It was a near riot.

Which wrestler was it who apparently used to turn his head towards the crowd during beat-downs and whisper mournfully,"...help me...." towards them? I remember somebody telling the story to Cornette recently and it sounded like he didn't have a clue it had happened, which is both hilarious and terrifying.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

Jerusalem posted:

Which wrestler was it who apparently used to turn his head towards the crowd during beat-downs and whisper mournfully,"...help me...." towards them? I remember somebody telling the story to Cornette recently and it sounded like he didn't have a clue it had happened, which is both hilarious and terrifying.

Oh man I wish I knew. I try to watch as much Mid-South as I can, but it's hard to come by sometimes. Is it on the Network yet?

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Jerusalem posted:

That would be Ricky Morton and his fantastic selling.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jerusalem posted:

Ricky Morton. Corny said it was very effective but he hated it because he was usually on the receiving end of whatever yahoo would try to help.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gatorfade posted:

Those fans used to load water pistols with Drano and try to shoot heels in the face, too. Ted Dibiase says his hair started falling out from stress after working heel there for a year.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

Those fans used to load water pistols with Drano and try to shoot heels in the face, too. Ted Dibiase says his hair started falling out from stress after working heel there for a year.

Haha jesus. Are there any specific interviews or threads these stories are at?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know if anyone's gathered them, I've just heard them from all the interviews I've read. Cornette says that he hated working Louisiana because the people there (especially Cajuns) were the markiest of the marks, the Mark Wahlberg of marks. It was too dangerous.

quote:

“The fans in Lake Charles, La., were crazy. The Freebirds would get their tires cut, so they started driving to the police station and having the police bring them to the show. The fans then cut the tires on the police car that brought The Freebirds.

“They put Drano in water guns and tried to squirt (Skandor) Akbar in the eyes. We’d have a dozen cops circle us in a flying wedge and walk us to and from the ring, so fans had to get inventive to get at people. They shot glue into the keyholes of our cars. They lipsticked the headlights. If I was by myself and not traveling with the boys, I’d do drive-throughs. I wouldn’t even get out of the car.”

One night while driving down the interstate out of Lake Charles, says Cornette, fans tried to run them off the road.

“There were three lanes. We’re in Dennis’ van and he’s driving. Two cars full of Cajuns come up on either side of us. Dennis pulled out the biggest handgun I’d ever seen from under the seat and just held it up in front of his face, and those cars hit the brakes, and we were gone.”

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sandow talked about getting stuck with hot pennies in Puerto Rico in the past decade.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know if anyone's gathered them, I've just heard them from all the interviews I've read. Cornette says that he hated working Louisiana because the people there (especially Cajuns) were the markiest of the marks, the Mark Wahlberg of marks. It was too dangerous.

Cornette's epic 4-hour shoot interview with RF goes into a lot of detail about this. Watts specifically engineered fans in that territory to take everything super seriously, to the point of not smartening up the cameramen filming their local TV interviews, so the fans there were supermarks who believed everything they saw in the ring well after fans in other territories figured out that it was fake. This was a great strategy for drawing good houses in Shitsplat, Arkansas every week, but it was a bit rough on the talent.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well it's the South. They're already dumber than everyone else, might as well use it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Well it's the South. They're already dumber than everyone else, might as well use it.

I still don't totally get poo poo like this cause you'd figure most of these guys would've been in an actual fight themselves at some point. MS and similar promotions weren't exactly trying to be Pancrase so all I can think is that people thought pro wrestlers were just so much better at fighting that it looked fake as poo poo. Like how some people think Aikido is real because Steven Segal does it

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

I still don't totally get poo poo like this cause you'd figure most of these guys would've been in an actual fight themselves at some point. MS and similar promotions weren't exactly trying to be Pancrase so all I can think is that people thought pro wrestlers were just so much better at fighting that it looked fake as poo poo. Like how some people think Aikido is real because Steven Segal does it

steven seagal guided anderson silva towards being the greatest mixed martial artist of all time, aikido is real

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

steven seagal guided anderson silva towards being the greatest mixed martial artist of all time, aikido is real

The best part about this poo poo is how many fighters are in on this type of joke about Segal except for Segal himself, who thinks he's actually contributed

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ai-ki-do... HEAT

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

oatgan posted:

it was steroids, none of it counts

Aesop Poprock posted:

yea but it turns out real fights look like a smelly corn-fed wrestler sitting on you for 15 minutes while punching you in the head or a brazilian falling on his rear end and aggressively scooting at you and no one wants to think about that too much

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 4, 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

it was steroids, none of it counts

yea but it turns out real fights look like a smelly corn-fed wrestler sitting on you for 15 minutes while punching you in the head or a brazilian falling on his rear end and aggressively scooting at you and no one wants to think about that too much

Watching the second get sat on by the first is still really satisfying though

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

There's a really good discussion about wrestling hotlines on today's show.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I'm catching up on Karl Stern shows and the Terry Funk drop at the end of the 3/27 show is amazing. Terry Funk is the GOAT.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Cornette's epic 4-hour shoot interview with RF

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sub Rosa posted:

Which one?