Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009
I just adopted a Frenchie about two weeks ago. He is an old boy (10 years almost exactly), and was really good about going outside to pee for a week, knows a lot of commands, etc. Last week I noticed he was leaking a little in the house, and chalked it up to age and scheduled a vet appointment. However the leaking became worse, moved the appointment up, and they got him on antibiotics on Friday, for a two week course for a suspected UTI. Bloodwork was fine.

However he doesn't let me know when he needs to go out, he is just happy whenever we go (with the infection it is every 2-3 hours). He has peed his bed twice now, but when I'm out. Today I was at home working and he was in his bed in the same room, and soaked most of it and just lay in it. I assume he was asleep and didn't notice, but it is troubling me that he'd just lie in his own urine.

I have 10 more days of antibiotics before another vet visit, so I would like to use the time to speculate wildly about what else it could be, or hear previous experiences with dogs and UTIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I adopted a shepherd mix from the shelter last week, and while she's amazing and smart so far, I've hit an impasse with my roommate and his sheepdog.

Basically, my dog isn't free fed and his is. I asked my vet about this and she said that the best course of action is to schedule feed both of them from now on. When I ran this by him it was a surprising and blunt explosion of dog civil rights and "gently caress that my dog eats when he wants" and acting like Obama was gonna come take his guns away.

I totally get that he doesn't want to be unfair to his dog and make it do something it isn't used to, but I have to ask if my dog can even be trained to free feed. She's pretty young, about a year old, and I doubt she couldn't be trained when considering how smart she is. The good thing is that neither of them resource-guard and are already close friends.

I just want some goon input on the subject.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

The best option is to get his dog fed on a schedule too. Sneaking food is likely too rewarding for your pup for you to be able to effectively train him to leave the bowl for any length of time. You could maybe keep your roommate's dog's food behind a closed door for him to nibble at during the day as you guys grant him access to the room, but that's :effort:.

Tell him to suck it up. Nicely.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My girlfriend and I got a puppy, and she lives in the US, where it's registered. I live in Canada.

It just got its first rabies shot. If I/we bring the puppy to Canada, I know we're fine. But the US says you can't bring a dog across the border that until it's been 30 days since it's vaccination.

Would it be stuck in Canada until it's been 30 days? I'm not sure how it works, and the Googles tell me the basics, but this doesn't seem to be a question people have asked.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I should probably put this in the Lawn Forum but I couldn't find it. I'm sitting here looking at pictures of my puppy in the yard four years ago, and he is playing on grass. Meanwhile I'm looking at my puppy playing in the yard now, and it's mostly dirt.

I know there are people who manage to have both lawns and dogs--I've seen them. I'm not looking for a golf-course-quality lawn here. Just something that will not turn into mud when the snow melts (as it just did, leaving mud).

Any ideas?

ETA: I do pick up things he drops that can be picked up, daily. I'm not talking about circles of dead grass here, I'm talking no grass.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Maybe grubs? Grass at my parent's place got demolished one year by grubs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

So our yellow lab has been having a bit of a flea problem lately. Wanted to ask a couple questions, and get feedback on my plan to deal with it.

We live in San Francisco and take the dog to a dog park 2-3 times per day (we live 1/2 a block away). The park is always filled with many dogs and often a few napping homeless as well (i.e., flea heaven). Over the past month or so, we've noticed maybe 5-7 fleas per week on the dog. Haven't found more than one at once even with pretty thorough combing, and he doesn't seem to be very itchy or have much/any flea dirt on him. He's been on monthly Frontline Plus since we've had him (2+ years).

With the climate in SF and the frequency we take him to the park, am I correct to assume that we'll probably always find the errant flea crawling around on him before FLP gets a chance to kill it? I definitely don't want to let this problem get any worse, but also want to set realistic expectations for my own sanity's sake.

My plan is to:
1) Increase vacuuming
2) Spray some anti-flea stuff on his rest areas and carpets
3) Switch from FLP to Advantix II, and maybe to a q3w schedule instead of monthly
4) Add in Sentinel for the flea egg killing (and replace his current Heartgard)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice!

A few spritzes on the body (not near the eyes) before the dog-park with a pungent essential oil based flea repellent could help. I use a mix of Eucalyptus, Bergamont, and Lemongrass in a mineral oil carrier on myself and Max. Smells amazing. Do not, however, use this on cats, they are sensitive to some essential oils. I know it sounds super hippie, but I've found it to work because it's just so darn pleasant smelling.

That, and Comfortis keeps Max flea free.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Rhymes With Clue posted:

I should probably put this in the Lawn Forum but I couldn't find it. I'm sitting here looking at pictures of my puppy in the yard four years ago, and he is playing on grass. Meanwhile I'm looking at my puppy playing in the yard now, and it's mostly dirt.

I know there are people who manage to have both lawns and dogs--I've seen them. I'm not looking for a golf-course-quality lawn here. Just something that will not turn into mud when the snow melts (as it just did, leaving mud).

Any ideas?

ETA: I do pick up things he drops that can be picked up, daily. I'm not talking about circles of dead grass here, I'm talking no grass.

There are different types of grass that thrive in different parts of the country/world. Maybe call a landscaping company and see what you have planted now?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

a life less posted:

Tell him to suck it up. Nicely.

He's being completely unwilling to listen because "he's had dogs before, he knows more than the vet" and "it's unfair to his dog."

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Kind of a weird question---sometimes when walking we pass another dog in a yard, and my smaller dog immediately will start whining and trying to pull me towards this dog. Were it not for the whining I'd say she was being aggressive but she never barks or growls at these dogs, just whines and pulls. I'm confused.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rolo posted:

He's being completely unwilling to listen because "he's had dogs before, he knows more than the vet" and "it's unfair to his dog."

Sorry your roommate is an rear end. Free feeding is loving stupid unless you have special snowflake dogs. Honestly, if you don't free feed your pup and it has access to areas where Jerkface keeps his dog's food out its bound to cause issues between the dogs at some point in time. I would either gate the areas off or ask if there would be some way to restrict your dog's access. Its your loving dog, so he should be able to understand that.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Astrofig posted:

Kind of a weird question---sometimes when walking we pass another dog in a yard, and my smaller dog immediately will start whining and trying to pull me towards this dog. Were it not for the whining I'd say she was being aggressive but she never barks or growls at these dogs, just whines and pulls. I'm confused.

Aggression is often rooted in anxiety/excitement. If it were my dog, I'd redirect focus to me and not allow him to approach the other dog. Approaching other dogs in an excited or forceful manner is a good way to start trouble.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
edit: Removed.

Didn't want to break a PI rule.

Sorry.

Krime fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 19, 2015

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Does anyone know just how bad persimmons are for horses? We found some growing wild super conveniently close to our yard but now we're about to fence in the area for our horses. This is apparently defcon 5 for my brother who is freaking out that 4 trees in one spot out of 25 acres is certain death by colic for all of them. I don't know how to break it to him that the woods are probably full of them but seriously, I will cut a bitch if he touches those trees.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
I'd probably fence off those trees or something if possible, because it is a pretty known risk factor. I had a pasture with persimmon trees that I didn't even think were a risk until a horse colicked and the vet strongly recommended restricting access to persimmons because he treated a lot of colic related to them. We were able to treat it medically but when I was talking about it with a neighbor she told me she had to pay for surgery for her mare after the mare ate them. They're not toxic but they're fairly high risk of having a bezoar form around them. I mean, it's hardly certain death or even certain colic (there were 5 horses in my persimmon pasture and only one had an issue, though he did colic pretty quickly after we fenced off that area and started turning them out there so...) but it's not a risk I'd really want to take again.

If you have 25 acres though you can probably just fence off the trees themselves with a reasonable circumference. Even portable electric fence might work depending on how they're distributed. Persimmons aren't terribly enticing to horses so I don't think it would be any more difficult than fencing off the average oak or cottonwood or whatever, especially if they have plenty of other stuff to eat to keep them busy (that's how it worked for us anyway). Might be a good compromise between preventing colic and saving the persimmons (which I also support because persimmons are amazing).

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Sounds like we'll just not let them near them then. The fence isn't started yet so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd never heard of them doing that before but with our luck one would probably be stupid and try to eat every single persimmon that ever existed.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Can anyone recommend a heavy-duty rope or other tugging toy? My pibble mix loves tug of war but destroys those PetSmart ropes almost instantly.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Tuffy Mega toys. I bought mine from Amazon for little under $25. They aren't chew toys, but they do a great job for tugging and throwing/fetching.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
What about for extreme chewers? My dog doesn't seem crazy about Kongs but can shred almost anything else.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Eponine posted:

Tuffy Mega toys. I bought mine from Amazon for little under $25. They aren't chew toys, but they do a great job for tugging and throwing/fetching.

Thanks for this recommendation! We got one in the mail today, and she is over the moon with it. We just have to keep her from ripping it up...

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
How much water should a cat be drinking? Mine is in a cone of shame (infected anal gland :gonk:) and is sulking so I've been bringing food/water to her and carrying her to the litterbox. So far today she's had a couple tablespoons of water plus a heaping spoonful of wet food but I don't know how persistent I should be with giving her more.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
e: Had a sick dog, think he's feeling better now.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 3, 2015

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

My dog has been licking her front paw quite a bit, and I've looked at it and she seems to have ripped/broken one of her claws. It's obviously hurting her a lot, since she bit me when I looked at it. Is there anything I can do to stop her from licking it? Or should I just let her do it? I just don't want it to get infected.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

micropath posted:

My dog has been licking her front paw quite a bit, and I've looked at it and she seems to have ripped/broken one of her claws. It's obviously hurting her a lot, since she bit me when I looked at it. Is there anything I can do to stop her from licking it? Or should I just let her do it? I just don't want it to get infected.
Take her to the vet.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Crooked Booty posted:

Take her to the vet.

I plan to, but it'll be Tuesday before I can do that since the vet is closed until then. Just thinking of something to do in the meantime.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

micropath posted:

I plan to, but it'll be Tuesday before I can do that since the vet is closed until then. Just thinking of something to do in the meantime.
A cone might keep her away from it. Sometimes they can still get at their front feet though if they are determined.

If you can soak the foot, that'd be a good start before she sees the vet. Warm water with povidone iodine works well. Put in just enough iodine to get the water tea-colored.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Slugworth posted:

A cone might keep her away from it. Sometimes they can still get at their front feet though if they are determined.

If you can soak the foot, that'd be a good start before she sees the vet. Warm water with povidone iodine works well. Put in just enough iodine to get the water tea-colored.

Thank you, I did manage to get her to keep her foot in the water for a little while with constant patting and liberal application of treats. I've also applied a soft bandage. I'm keeping an eye on her and she's leaving it alone for the moment.

Thanks again for the help!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

micropath posted:

I cleaned it as best I could, put some antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it up. I think I did that once or twice a day until it healed enough to take the bandage off. No problems but you'll probably need a helper.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend a dog lead attachment for a pedal bike? I've seen some on Amazon but I'm specifically after one which can both hold the lead and keep it away from the bike, and allow my dog to pull the bike (he enjoys it too much).

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I don't have recommendations, but google around for bikejoring attachments and you should be able to find something. Like this http://www.xtradog.com/shop/bike-joring-attachment.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anjow posted:

Can anyone recommend a dog lead attachment for a pedal bike? I've seen some on Amazon but I'm specifically after one which can both hold the lead and keep it away from the bike, and allow my dog to pull the bike (he enjoys it too much).

I think it's generally discouraged to let dogs pull a bicyclist. However, Bikejoring is a thing. http://www.bikejor.com/

however,

quote:

This page focuses on being safe while bikejoring.

Ha, ha , ha, safety? You have got to be kidding!

If you want to TRY to avoid injury, consider the following things:

You WILL be thrown off the bike, plan for it. Wear long sleeves, gloves, padding, etc. Figure out how you want to come off your bike and fall (roll).
As for attaching, they seem to use a tow line attached to the handlebars. You'll also want to invest in a harness, as pulling by the collar is super uncomfortable for extended periods of time.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Glad I asked, looks like letting him pull when I'm not specifically out to do that is not a good idea. I'd been letting him pull whilst holding the lead in my hand, but I guess I can better anticipate and deal with jerks on it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You could always hook him up to a 4 wheel scooter instead, that's a lot more stable and slower. And training a dog to pull IN HARNESS can have benefits. It can teach them that harness = pull time and collar = walk nice. What kind of dog do you have?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Half malamute, half border collie. He just loves working!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anjow posted:

Half malamute, half border collie. He just loves working!

Oh my god. Make him power a turbine, he will solve the energy crisis.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

My old roomie had a thing like this that worked alright, it had a full harness though and not just a neck collar.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I tried a homemade setup for bikejoring. The problem I ran into is if it's over 70 degrees. Which living in LA it ALWAYS is. It was to hot for her. I only did it twice before I decided she was getting over heated and just went back to normal walks. She seemed to enjoy it though.

It also didn't tire her out but for an hour. It made her want MORE exercise if anything.

Anonymous Pie
May 9, 2010
Im trying to make sense of something that happened at the dog park today.

The backstory: My boyfriend and I adopted a shiba-inu terrior mix from PAWS (an animal welfare group) around two weeks ago. We have visited 3 different off leash dog parks without incident.

Today he got into a scuffle with another dog. I was around 20 feet away from my dog when this started. From my point of view the other dog started the scuffle and showed agression first. They were barking and lunging at each other. The other dogs owner was right next to his dog, when he tried to grab his dog my dog bit him drawing blood.After the man grabbed his dog, my walked away.

I feel terrible about this. Should I not take my dog to other parks? Can I do anything to avoid this situation?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Anonymous Pie posted:

Im trying to make sense of something that happened at the dog park today.

The backstory: My boyfriend and I adopted a shiba-inu terrior mix from PAWS (an animal welfare group) around two weeks ago. We have visited 3 different off leash dog parks without incident.

Today he got into a scuffle with another dog. I was around 20 feet away from my dog when this started. From my point of view the other dog started the scuffle and showed agression first. They were barking and lunging at each other. The other dogs owner was right next to his dog, when he tried to grab his dog my dog bit him drawing blood.After the man grabbed his dog, my walked away.

I feel terrible about this. Should I not take my dog to other parks? Can I do anything to avoid this situation?

I assume you're in the Chicago area. I have two dogs in the city, both are rescues and we (usually) spend about an hour a day at our local dog park. One of our dogs is notoriously bitchy to other dogs and they are terrible on leash. Firstly, I would identify what you believe set your dog off. The dog park we go to has a man with four terribly loud spaniels that bark constantly for the entire time they are there. If there were too many dogs at the park, it was probably a stressor too.

I believe that calling a dog off is the best way to deal. If the dog was aggressive towards your dog first, it's important to be able to call your dog off from a potentially bad situation and reset them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The low tonight is 63°F, is that safe to let a Yorkie stay outside overnight? Covered porch available, but he likes to sit in the cover of a bush, despite the porch and soft bedding available.