Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

In order to hurt the wallets of people reading this thread, it's important that I let you know that that Musicansfriend has a big sale on thread-enjoyed TC Electronic pedals like the Alter Ego V2 delay ($70) and T2 reverb ($90), among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
How well does the alter ego work for synths? I couldn't find any demos on youtube.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I feel like there's a few places this question could go, but this might be best. I am not sure that what I'm trying to do is fully possible, but I'd like to run it by the group and see if there's an angle I'm missing.

Short version: I'd like to adjust the drive on my amp without increasing the volume.

Using a POD HD500X, I'd like to map the expression pedal to the amp's drive. I'd have a default setting wherever you like, let's say 60, but then if I turn on the pedal I can modulate it from 0 to 100. The issue of course is that a drive level of 100 is significantly louder than 0 (and to be clear, I mean from 0 to 100 is deafening, it's not "some boost", it's just about unplayable). I don't want the volume adjustment, I just want to change the color of the sound. You can of course adjust this on a per sound level - if I have one preset with 0 and another with 100, I simply make the entire preset with 0 louder. But adjusting it on the fly results in some very large volume swings.

The idea that I had was to put a compressor directly after the amp in the signal chain - by placing it after, I thought I could squash it down such that 0 would be louder and 100 would be quieter. What actually happens is that 0 becomes so compressed that it sounds ridiculous (you can practically hear air lightly grazing the pickups) - if I compress it any less than that then the volume is still too varied when I roll on and off the drive.

Anyway, I understand what I want the end result to be but this may just not be too feasible. Does anyone have ideas?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't have a POD but is it possible to modulate the volume with the expression pedal too so from 0 to 100 drive it is set to say 100 to 30 volume or something, like invert it? I do this with Guitar Rig and it works after some fiddling, but dunno of the POD can do this

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's a valid approach but best I can tell, and I'm looking at the advanced guide right now, this isn't possible.

However your post does remind me that at some point I need to just stop buying things like PODs and just plug my loving guitar into the computer...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's been a long time since I was a Line6 user, so I don't know how much memory they give you for user presets nowadays, but since it's always about balancing out the gain setting and channel volume, could you set up a bunch of presets in a row where you matched gain/volume to balance out, but left everything else the same? Maybe do it in increments of 5, or however subtle you need it. Then you could cycle through - are they compatible with MIDI expression pedals yet? If so, you could have a gradual "gain" pedal while leaving your volume free to control the master output.

The downside is that you'd have to have all the other settings identical on each channel, unless they've implemented a way where changing channels leaves certain settings intact, as with master volume, but if you're doing this to use live you probably won't be wildly changing guitar sounds over the course of one song.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

If the HD500 has a limiter use that after the drive section instead of a compressor.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
After the war that suggestion is far too complicated and isn't gonna do it in this case. A limiter is probably the best choice - nothing in the unit itself but could throw one in the FX loop.

Ahh well, it seems like I looked at the angles at least. I don't think there's a true way to do what I'm thinking of, but I'm figure out a close approximation (ie setting drive to go 50 to 80 instead of 0 to 100, that kind of thing, reduce the variance). Thanks all.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

After the war that suggestion is far too complicated and isn't gonna do it in this case.

[Glances at current 15 pedal home effects chain] Overcomplicated? ME?!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Shiiiit I'm on a heavy nostalgia trip - not just yet, but in a month or so I'm going to buy a Boss GX700 and a Digitech GSP-2101 to throw in the rack. Does anyone need them in 2015? Absolutely not, but they're incredibly cheap now, and I had them in the 90s, so, me wanty. I'll hook them to a patch bay so I can bring them in and out of the chain. That'll give me pedals, into the HD500, FX loop to the rack, and back to the HD500. Overcomplicated!

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 10, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pair the GX700 with a mosfet power amp and you got instant Bolt Thrower.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
So I'm looking for a recommendation for a reverb, and I've read the thread, the Supernatural seems to be the way to go but a few assorted comments have left me somewhat questioning that. While I like the idea of being able to get the crazy dripping wet 'verbs that echo off into infinity, the main thing I'd find myself using often is a light plate or hall style reverb to just add a little bit of space. Does it really not do that too well? I'm also liking the demos I'm hearing for the Polara, I'm almost unsure if the difference save for a few different modes. Out of the alternatives to a light reverb, the most likely fancy one I'd be using is the Spring gone extra drippy, and they both seem to do that quite well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The plate and spring on the Supernatural are so good that it's worth buying for those alone. You can easily dial them in for a subtle effect.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I didnt love the digitech verbs like everyone else seems to. I prefer the TC ones.

With most gear these days its all "good" its just a matter of preffered flavour really.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah, and to expand on that in my experience TC reverbs are lush, full sounding warm reverbs, almost like a synth pad resting under your guitar tone. Digitech reverbs are brighter and more likely to cut through a mix without losing the main aspect of each individual reverb. You can't go wrong with either though I do agree that TC has a certain warmth and body to theirs that is something special.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'll have to give the TC pedals a look too, I'd forgot about things like the HoF, the Trinity just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. Thanks for chiming in on the Supernatural too, I'm a total idiot in that one of the demos I liked actually did have a low-reverb part within it, just relatively short and jammed in the middle [And haunted by the ghost of David Lee Roth].

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There it is. I wasn't even playing guitar or thinking about it, and I got there. The problem I asked about earlier in the thread about how I can roll on and off the drive without affecting the volume. It's not a drive problem. It's a volume problem.

Amp A - 0 drive, center panned
Amp B - 100 drive, center panned

Then the volume pedal just controls the mix, between 0/100, 100/0, 50/50, anything in between. Just set the volume level of each amp so that they're equal, that way when you go from clean to drive it doesn't increase in volume.

Haven't actually implemented it, but yep, there it is. :)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Genius! Well done man, pleased you figured it out

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
btw my g/f got me an organizer. dont think anyone guessed it, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, and to expand on that in my experience TC reverbs are lush, full sounding warm reverbs, almost like a synth pad resting under your guitar tone. Digitech reverbs are brighter and more likely to cut through a mix without losing the main aspect of each individual reverb. You can't go wrong with either though I do agree that TC has a certain warmth and body to theirs that is something special.

Once I added a Holy Grail to my pedal board I stopped looking for anything else ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah i'm a holy grail guy too. used to keep it just set on spring mode, but i've been liking the hall mode lately.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Sorry in advance for the wall of text!

Here's something amusing that happened to me this past week re: pedals. I recently started a two-piece as the guitarist/singer and I was worried that it might sound a little thin since I'm no Jack White so I thought I should go the Japandroids/DFA1979 route and use two amps to fill out the sound.

I bought one of those ABY switches, ran everything into my Marshall and my Ampeg and called it good. It sounded passable, but not exactly like I had envisioned, but I figured rather than stagnate the writing process I'd roll with it and tweak the sound when I got around to it. I went to a friend's house a month or so back and played his Vox AC15 Twin and holy poo poo I was in love. :black101: It sounded exactly like what I had hoped my rig would sound like, so I started making plans to swap out the Marshall for a Vox thinking this would solve my problem. Two weeks later I found a crazy deal on an AC15 Twin on CL, snatched it up and took it to the practice space.:hist101:

I didn't want to deal with figuring out the dual amp thing until I had a good handle on the Vox, so I switched the ABY into "A" mode to play the Vox, and to my surprise it just didn't sound anywhere near as good as it did at my friend's house, like at all. It was kind of shrill, hollow, and just incredibly unmusical. I kept tweaking on it for the next hour, changing channels, messing with the gain staging, everything I could think of thinking maybe I just had the settings wrong. Eventually, despairingly I just said gently caress it, and considered going back to my Marshall rig.:negative:

I played a few practices with the Vox to try and get the hang of it, but about halfway through my fourth practice with it I decided I'd had enough and was going to swap back to the Marshall when one of the cables on my board shorted out. I didn't have a spare, so I just took the then-unused ABY box out of the chain to free up a cable and HOLY poo poo the Vox roared to life, sounding loud, beautiful, and EXACTLY LIKE I HAD HOPED WHEN I BOUGHT THE drat THING. Even when awitched to "A Only" the ABY box was halving my signal, sucking all the life out of it! :eng99:

tl;dr: ABY box was sucking so much tone I almost sold my amp until I realized what the problem was, now I'm happy as a clam. If your tone is suffering, try removing pedals one by one to see if it makes a difference!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Try putting a buffer of some sort directly in front of the A/B switch.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Try putting a buffer of some sort directly in front of the A/B switch.

The funny thing is, I like the way the Vox sounds so much I'm ditching the two amps idea, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time. A TS with drive at 0 works for that a sort of thing, right?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i never heard of an A/B/Y messing up your signal at all much less halfing it. Are you sure it wasnt the bad cable that was loving with the sound?

edit: clarification

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 16, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i never heard of an A/B/Y messing up your signal at all much less splitting it. Are you sure it wasnt the bad cable that was loving with the sound?

Not entirely, I'll test it out next practice. Either way it's redundant so it's getting axed from my current board, but it'll be nice to know if it really was the culprit or not. I was just tired of futzing with it at that point and just wanted to rock out ;)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so I got one of those discs that let you turn pedal knobs with your foot and, I kinda like the creepy reverb of the afterneath with the drag all the way counter clockwise more than I like the supernatural verb,

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Picked a fender vi and I'd like a nice reverb and delay pedal for playing post rock. Any recommendations?

I'm in Holland for a while and can't really find any decent stores near me to try pedals out :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UncleBlazer posted:

Picked a fender vi and I'd like a nice reverb and delay pedal for playing post rock. Any recommendations?

I'm in Holland for a while and can't really find any decent stores near me to try pedals out :(
Hardwire Supernatural for reverb, any of the TC Electronic Flashback models for delay.

Through much trial and error (years of buying pedals, selling them and getting different pedals), I've found that the Supernatural is the best post-rock reverb outside of the Eventide Space which is like $500, and the Flashback is the best delay I've owned so far. There might be a better delay out there, but this is the best one out of the like 4 or 5 delay pedals I've had.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure if this is the right thread, but what's everyone's go-to for pedal boards? My friend is slowly building up quite the collection (Five right now, four of which are dirt), for a bassist especially! I've only got two, but I intend to grab a delay and phaser at some stage, although one of my current pedals won't be used most likely. I was looking at Pedaltrain Classic Jr's, because they seem to be able to hold around eight standard pedals plus a supply. I really don't want to make my own and would rather buy a good quality board when I need one.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

syntaxfunction posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but what's everyone's go-to for pedal boards? My friend is slowly building up quite the collection (Five right now, four of which are dirt), for a bassist especially! I've only got two, but I intend to grab a delay and phaser at some stage, although one of my current pedals won't be used most likely. I was looking at Pedaltrain Classic Jr's, because they seem to be able to hold around eight standard pedals plus a supply. I really don't want to make my own and would rather buy a good quality board when I need one.

I have a couple Pedaltrains (a Jr and a Nano), and I like them a lot. That said, I am very curious about Holeyboards too; I like the idea of a riser in the back and I kinda dig the look...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Right now I'm using an old shelf made out of metal and some zipties. Also I put a sticker on it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JohnnySmitch posted:

I have a couple Pedaltrains (a Jr and a Nano), and I like them a lot. That said, I am very curious about Holeyboards too; I like the idea of a riser in the back and I kinda dig the look...

I really, really like my Holeyboard. Can't say anything bad about it. The guy who runs the company is wonderful to deal with as well.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I'm using an SKB Stage 5 and while I'm only using it for 1 amp it's great since it comes with a solid fully isolated power supply.

Slight disclaimer though, the owners of SKB are great friends of the family so I was able to get it way below cost so if it wasn't for that I would have probably just built one myself or used a pedal train.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Interesting. I have never heard of Holeyboards. They seem nice, although a tiny bit pricier than an equivalent Pedaltrain. SKB seems a bit overkill with it's powered boards and stuff. Also costly. Shelfboard is a cool idea too. Luckily I have time until I have enough pedals to require/justify a board.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh boy, here comes the GAS again :shepicide:

Okay, so I was watching tonight's all-U2 episode of Jimmy Fallon, and the only good part was getting to hear The Edge's guitar tones. I started to wonder what delay he uses, so I looked it up and found it was an SDD-3000. I'm guessing he uses the rackmount version from the 80s, but Korg reissued it in pedal form. Now I'm watching all kinds of YouTube demos of it and I want to sell my TC Flashback and get this. I really don't have the money for that, but I also really want this thing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3THdwHXEY

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Does anyone make an ABY box with a MIDI plugin that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? My guitar players use pods and started using a computer to control their patch/channel changes during live shows. I use a good old fashioned pedalboard and an ABY box to act like a channel select, just wondering if I can get in on the MIDI action without dropping 200-300 for what I'm finding so far.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I'm looking for a compressor pedal to give a nice attack to picked bass. I want to add some extra punch to each note. I grabbed a DigiTech Main Squeeze from my local shop but it was defective, so I'm taking it back to look for something else. They have a Boss LMB-3 I'm looking at, would that do the trick? Any other recommendations? Cheaper is better, but not so cheap that it's gonna hiss and die on me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been back to my old self lately using fuzz pedals, playing filthy QOTSA riffs and doomy blues, so of course someone tosses up a EQD Cloven Hoof on the local gear trade group and I just can't help myself. It'll be here tomorrow. Hail. If anyone is curious about it I'll write a review after I have time to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting
Haven't seen a lot of talk about this one in here, but the preorder for the new run of Montreal Assembly's Count to Five is up. Definitely hop on that if you're wanting a crazy pedal.

Seawaffle fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 24, 2015