Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chomp8645 posted:

It was an obvious shill, man.

I didn't get a bad vibe from it at all so I was surprised so many people acted like he was some kind of monster. And even if it was a heartless shill, who actually cares that much?

Whatever, more talking about board games, less petty bullshit. I played Tammany Hall last night, was pretty interesting. Not usually my style of game, but once I got the hang of the strategy it was fun. Any recommendations for similar stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Merauder posted:

I didn't get a bad vibe from it at all so I was surprised so many people acted like he was some kind of monster. And even if it was a heartless shill, who actually cares that much?

Whatever, more talking about board games, less petty bullshit. I played Tammany Hall last night, was pretty interesting. Not usually my style of game, but once I got the hang of the strategy it was fun. Any recommendations for similar stuff?

They cared enough to buy me a title! Honestly, no shill at all. Trying to share a cool game with the community, I guess I missed the "must post X times to be cool with the OGs". Nonetheless, tonight will be doing a viewer game showing off Camp Grizzly. Never done full viewer interaction board game stream before.

Have you tried Discworld:Ankh Morpork? That might fit what you are looking for.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Has anyone developed/found a good tool for drumming up local trades/sales? I am allergic to shipping costs and want to get rid of/exchange a ton of games.

It looks like BGG's rudimentary API doesn't let you retrieve user locations even if they're public.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm liking that I got a new AV even though I hadn't said a word about unboxing-gate, good work butthurt AV buying dude

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mr.Trifecta posted:

They cared enough to buy me a title! Honestly, no shill at all. Trying to share a cool game with the community, I guess I missed the "must post X times to be cool with the OGs". Nonetheless, tonight will be doing a viewer game showing off Camp Grizzly. Never done full viewer interaction board game stream before.

Have you tried Discworld:Ankh Morpork? That might fit what you are looking for.

Twitch streams are viewed by decent amount of gamers as the domain of attention whores. You also used the word "unboxing," which also tends to set off red flags. I think if you made a post beforehand talking about this cool game you got called Camp Grizzly to check for interest first you would be in the clear.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
7/10 for the guy buying people pictures of games they'd sooner eat than play. 0/10 for the sixth grader who just learned mean words at recess.

Recently found a local store that does a (trans-inclusive) "Ladies Night" on Wednesday, gone a couple times now. Nothing over the top--mostly they just give you a free soda and the reasonable expectation that you can play games with other people who haven't jizzed on an anime body pillow in the past 6 hours.

Introduced an older gal to Galaxy Trucker two weeks ago, and showed her the iPhone app. She came back this week with a hollow look in her eyes, and stories about scaring her coworkers by shouting "MOTHERFUCKER I'VE GOT GUNS ON EVERY ROW BUT THAT *EXACT* ONE YOU CHOSE" at her phone over lunch break.

I've never felt so proud as an ambassador of this hobby.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 4, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Malloreon posted:

Has anyone developed/found a good tool for drumming up local trades/sales? I am allergic to shipping costs and want to get rid of/exchange a ton of games.

It looks like BGG's rudimentary API doesn't let you retrieve user locations even if they're public.

Garage Sales and Flea Markets?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gutter Owl posted:

7/10 for the guy buying people pictures of games they'd sooner eat than play.

You started this at 10/10. Then you edited it to 8/10. Then 7/10.

What's the deal man?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Chomp8645 posted:

You started this at 10/10. Then you edited it to 8/10. Then 7/10.

What's the deal man?

Game selection, mostly. Like, Ascension or Relic would be a better slap to BL than Dungeonquest. Geez, it's like some people don't meticulously curate a list of what games the thread posters hate.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Basically just give Cosmic Encounter to everybody.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The General posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hey mysterious av guy, posting your dumb unboxing stream as your first post in a thread is tacky as sin and space hulk is a bloated dog fart of a game, buy me an av tia

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also discworld ankh morpork is an unbalanced heap

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
What is going on

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Every time people talk about RPGnet as though it's the most passive-aggressive of the traditional games internet forums someone is always happy to remind me that on Something Awful people are willing to waste $10 a pop to badly insult someone, a thing they could just as easily do for free.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If people's avatars are changed I will have no idea who is saying what because I am horrible with names.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zombie #246 posted:

What is going on

You know how in Munchkin you sit around for endless hours spiting each other for no reason, and then you buy a $20 expansion so you can do it again?

Board games threads work the same way, and are equally fun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The General posted:

Cosmic Encounter looks fun, I donno you guys.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kai Tave posted:

Every time people talk about RPGnet as though it's the most passive-aggressive of the traditional games internet forums someone is always happy to remind me that on Something Awful people are willing to waste $10 a pop to badly insult someone, a thing they could just as easily do for free.

I know right? Ya'll coulda bought some better board games with that money.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

enigmahfc posted:

If people's avatars are changed I will have no idea who is saying what because I am horrible with names.

Yeah same.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You know how in Munchkin you sit around for endless hours spiting each other for no reason, and then you buy a $20 expansion so you can do it again?

Board games threads work the same way, and are equally fun.

Thinking I should do a reboxing video

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Reboxing videos might actually serve a purpose, especially for packed boxes like Caverna and stuff.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Make a series of unboxing videos which are just the same as the start of a Tom Vasel review.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

Reboxing videos might actually serve a purpose, especially for packed boxes like Caverna and stuff.

Any game by Level99 could use reboxing videos.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Cosmic Encounter looks fun, I donno you guys.

But how much does the box weigh? Thanks

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sloober posted:

If you buy all the expansions and try to cram them into the box (requiring the aforementioned reboxing video)? About 700lbs or so.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
I bought Luchador!: Mexican Wrestling Dice and basically it rules if you want to role play as a luchadore or a WWE character. I'm talking actually high-fiving your tag team partner and spouting your horrible impromptu tag lines, or just ripping off existing wrestlers. Also impersonating Jim Ross works too.

Something like your first hit on a dude being a table slam, and then having your tag team partner yelling "OH MY GOD IS THAT LEGAL?" just feels SO RIGHT.

e: the shipment with Luchador also came with Star Wars: Imperial Assault but that poo poo has a lot of words in its rulebook and I've been in a drunk-gaming mood lately.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Sloober posted:

I have them all in one box and it weighs 7lb 3oz, hope this helps.

Acolyte! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 4, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

See? Only two orders of magnitude off. :D

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
oh god i didn't even talk to that guy what is happening

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dungeon Quest is a terrible awful game because the title makes you think it's like Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Pets but it's actually completely different.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Dungeon Quest is a terrible awful game because the title makes you think it's like Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Pets but it's actually completely different.

ahahahahahahahahahah

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Similarly, Dungeon Lords is an awful game because it makes you think it'll be about dungeon crawling and then suddenly it's a worker placement?? What the gently caress vlaada I thought we were tight.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

What's up bad game box avatar crew? Anyone up for a game of Elder Sign?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scyther posted:

Only if we houserule it into a fire, and then play literally anything else.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I'm legit a little disappointed that I didn't get one

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Elder Sign aint bad on the phone while you're taking a dump.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Whoever bought all these terrible board game avatars has made this thread like a dozen times better.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Lilli posted:

Whoever bought all these terrible board game avatars has made this thread like a dozen times better.

It is a thing of beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I wish i had enough SA street cred to earn a "bad" board game AV. I think Dungeon! would go well since it was one of my first board games back in the day, although I would also like HeroQuest. Both are not very good games.

I taught two players Tash Kalar today at my FLGS, getting one of them to buy the box they had at the store, and the other guy put it on his list to get soon.

Scyther posted:

I'd play it but I have a couple bad games in my collection that I legit enjoy, and Elder Sign is one of them.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 5, 2015