Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What's a citadel and how do I shoot it

(I understand the concept of all-or-nothing armor, I just get so few citadel hits it seems like I must be doing something wrong. Also! When targeting a stationary ship, should you generally click on its deck line, or waterline?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Waterline.

The citadel is the natural consequence of all or nothing armor. It's the most important guts of the ship. Engine, fuel, ammunition, etc. You can generally find it around the waterline amidships.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

General Battuta posted:

What's a citadel and how do I shoot it

(I understand the concept of all-or-nothing armor, I just get so few citadel hits it seems like I must be doing something wrong. Also! When targeting a stationary ship, should you generally click on its deck line, or waterline?)

Aim at the midsection between the turrets and hope it disperses into the right spot. At any significant range the guns are too inaccurate for you to hit the citadel consistently, despite official forums posters who don't understand statistics.
Cruiser and destroyer guns won't citadel hit battleships under normal circumstances, even if you hit the right spot.
Aim at the waterline.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Mind you, the game only pops up "Citadel Hit" if you actually penetrate the citadel. If you're hitting directly below the turrets or directly below the smoke stacks, you're hitting the right spot even if it doesn't flash "citadel hit". Also, you can't over-penetrate it either. This mainly comes into play when battleships are shooting cruisers at close range, but cruisers can do the same to destroyers. In either case, you want to switch to HE.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The matchmaker must think I'm pretty awesome, because twice now it's sent my Saipan up against a Lexington alone (in terms of CVs that is). Getting neutered by an enemy carrier 2 tiers above you sucks, but hey at least I have 4 5-inch guns that I can maybe shoot at something!!!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So, does anyone think this game has the legs to keep running for a while when it's out of Beta?

I find it simply doesn't have enough complexity to keep me amused. I have ground out a Cleveland and a Kongo and I have no interest in getting anything else as it's a boring grind all said and done, which compared to how much I played WoTs Beta is pretty damning. I really can't put my finger on why I think it's bad, it's a combination of a few things but I can't even be arsed to log in any more and when I do I just get my 1.5 games.

I think it tries to be the game that all the serious ship spergs wanted, but it isn't, but if you point this out you just get dog piled.

Serious discussion.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's a little hard to say because there's a few interest-killing but relatively trivial issues on top right now - mainly the terrible maps and completely hosed balance between ship types and within ship lines. Most players end up stopping at T6 simply because all ships over that point are either downgrades or just dreadfully boring.

But yeah, there does seem to be a need for some more involved game systems - more complex maps, more involved damage control, CVs certainly need a gameplay shakeup, deautomating AA a bit probably wouldn't hurt, etc. The problem is that the the utter cretins you find sailing your average battleship (seriously these guys make tanks players look smart and proactive) are already overwhelmed. Somehow.

Prav fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 4, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Part of it is just the lack of content, really. Two tech trees worth of ships on three different maps simply isn't very interesting. If they add new nations and give them a unique feel, I can see that add a lot to the game (also the nationalism factor).

But yeah, CVs are some of the least fun you can have while technically consuming an entertainment product. Even if you hit all your strikes (i.e. the other team has the idiots who sit their battleships perfectly still for a change) you spend a lot of time twiddling your thumbs. God help you if the enemy is moderately capable and dodges your strike. I've had games on the Independence where my total contribution to the battle was two scout planes shot down. First strike had just dropped torpedoes when the target got obliterated by a salvo, second strike was disrupted by AA fire and missed all torpedoes. Didn't have time or planes for a third.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Burt posted:

So, does anyone think this game has the legs to keep running for a while when it's out of Beta?

I find it simply doesn't have enough complexity to keep me amused. I have ground out a Cleveland and a Kongo and I have no interest in getting anything else as it's a boring grind all said and done, which compared to how much I played WoTs Beta is pretty damning. I really can't put my finger on why I think it's bad, it's a combination of a few things but I can't even be arsed to log in any more and when I do I just get my 1.5 games.

I think it tries to be the game that all the serious ship spergs wanted, but it isn't, but if you point this out you just get dog piled.

Serious discussion.
Navyfield lasted for years and this game has a foundation that is 10x better I think.

Like posters above have said, slotting in better maps and having ship trees that are actually filled will be enough to make it last. I can't speak to CVs as I don't have one yet, but with actually balanced ship lines alone it would be a marked improvement. At this point you don't even have a full nation's ship tree in terms of availability between what is in game right now between the USN/IJN. The Soviet Navy will be in soon enough (half of it blueprints-only ships I suppose), and I would expect the RN to come quickly after too. The French, Germans, and Italians are decent options for expansion as well once you flesh out their trees with unbuilt designs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm the annoying guy shutting down the airspace and killing all your planes (it is a 1.5x game):

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
You guys do much in the way of teaming up? Platooning or whatever the nautical equivalent is? I'm wondering if getting 3 goons on voice and just focus firing everything would be very viable. I don't play though, so no idea if the reality of the game makes that a reasonable tactic or not.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd team up but goons always play with incomatible ships so I've ended up soloing instead :|

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Navyfield lasted for years and this game has a foundation that is 10x better I think.

Navyfield was a fun game that actively punished you for trying to play it. But the gunnery in Navyfield was much more engaging than what Warships has.

The Battlestations series had gunnery like Warships, but there were more arcadey features for you to preoccupy yourself with. You could aim secondaries and AA platforms, respawn ships, fly your own planes, manage damage control, and switch control between multiple ships.

There needs to be more to do in this game. Also it seems like the damage model was changed to a more unpleasant state from the weekend to the closed beta. Previously, it was relatively hard to get consistent citadel hits on any ships besides Japanese cruisers. Now it seems that everything is about that fragile, while the Japanese cruisers end up softer than most destroyers.

Unrelated, but one of the Nagato's hidden strengths is that it's so goddamned inaccurate that it's impossible to juke it in a destroyer. You'll swerve, and one shell will go where you were heading, and the other one flies out, hits you amidship and one-shots you.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

How does battleship self-repair work? What determines how much damage is repairable?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm at about T-4 now and it's getting to a point where competency actually matters. What should my basic strategy be for cruisers or battleships?

I find myself getting killed too early in the match which makes me think I'm either being too aggressive or failing to understand the flow.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

raverrn posted:

How does battleship self-repair work? What determines how much damage is repairable?

You take damage and you get a notification saying "Light, medium, heavy" damage. I guess light and medium are fixable and heavy damage not really.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Burt posted:

Serious discussion.

I honestly don't really find the game to be as fun as I expected. The core of the game is really solid, the problem is with everything in the game that isn't shooting at other ships.

Top complaints for me: The maps are terrible and there are too few of them. The only map that I like is the beginner map, the islands make for some fire lanes while providing cover. It also doesn't make sense to restrict maps by tier when you only have 5 maps. Also, the domination style maps end way too quickly, a team that caps 2 points quickly and manages to get a decent point lead early on will win.

Another thing for me is that going up a tier doesn't feel like I've actually improved a ship all that much, outside of the US cruiser line and some of the battleships. The destroyer lines in particular just look dull from tier 5 on. In tier 6 and above games, it feels like the match is decided by who has the most battleships, and the cruisers and destroyers don't feel as useful. Don't get me wrong, they can be useful if things go right, but battleships are just better. Carriers are just really boring to play against and to play.

I feel that ships could really do with being tougher though. I wouldn't mind if the damage control system had stored charges, so you could say use 1, then 30s later use another, but now there is a 2 minute recharge per use. Its not fun being taken out of the game for a couple of minutes because the rudder is broke.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

When Boteclans becomes a thing, I propose that the first goonclan should take an abbreviation of a naval significance, a la:
[USS] [USN] [NAVY] [RN] [KM] [DKM] [CORPS] [VET]
and give it some stupid meaning, thus denying these assets to the enemy.

Watch the butthurt roll in.

E: even better if a goon actually is one of them, and therefore validating the clan

Ee: VETS as in veterinary med

I know the likelihood of getting one is slim :(

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 4, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Due to their complete unoriginality, they will all be grabbed 5 seconds after the servers come up to do so.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

ArchangeI posted:

But yeah, CVs are some of the least fun you can have while technically consuming an entertainment product. Even if you hit all your strikes (i.e. the other team has the idiots who sit their battleships perfectly still for a change) you spend a lot of time twiddling your thumbs. God help you if the enemy is moderately capable and dodges your strike. I've had games on the Independence where my total contribution to the battle was two scout planes shot down. First strike had just dropped torpedoes when the target got obliterated by a salvo, second strike was disrupted by AA fire and missed all torpedoes. Didn't have time or planes for a third.

I have to disagree with this, wrt to CVs. It's probably just a subjective personal preference thing, but I think carriers are far less boring than being stuck on the other side of the map from any targets in a slow gun-boat. At least your planes can get anywhere on the map in relatively short order and selectively kill whatever enemy BB is playing the most competently, thus making a tangible difference on the game as you save your pubbies from eventual death one ship at a time. Plus you get a sweet view of the map as your planes fly around, it's actually pretty cinematic to use the close in cam as your planes are going to or from target. It feels a lot like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVklQ8IyUbw

Plus a lot of what you said can be simply be alleviated by smarter play. Don't drop torps on someone who's about to die anyways, and don't go in when cruisers blow their ability. It can be hard to hit even a BB if they're trying to dodge, but manually dropping two groups at a time will usually give you a good chance to hit at least 3-4 torps, with bonus points if they already blew their repair on putting our the fires your DBs caused.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Missing Name posted:

When Boteclans becomes a thing, I propose that the first goonclan should take an abbreviation of a naval significance, a la:
[USS] [USN] [NAVY] [RN] [KM] [DKM] [CORPS] [VET]
and give it some stupid meaning, thus denying these assets to the enemy.

Watch the butthurt roll in.

E: even better if a goon actually is one of them, and therefore validating the clan

Ee: VETS as in veterinary med

I know the likelihood of getting one is slim :(

VET already exists. Assuming when it goes more unified, it shouldn't be available since it exists in tanks. Then again, I don't think clans carried over in planes, but just saying.
http://na.wargaming.net/clans/1000003520/

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Maybe get [YMCA] for all the 'In The Navy' and other Village People jokes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Another thing for me is that going up a tier doesn't feel like I've actually improved a ship all that much, outside of the US cruiser line and some of the battleships. The destroyer lines in particular just look dull from tier 5 on. In tier 6 and above games, it feels like the match is decided by who has the most battleships, and the cruisers and destroyers don't feel as useful. Don't get me wrong, they can be useful if things go right, but battleships are just better. Carriers are just really boring to play against and to play.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think it has something to do with the main guns of many ships not feeling particularly powerful or unique. Shells fly a bit further, numbers get a bit bigger, but that's really kind of it. You pump one broadside after another into your opponent, but unless you get a lucky citadel hit, it rarely feels like you have much impact. It's also why I enjoy destroyers so much more than the other ship types, because landing a good salvo of torpedoes has much more impact and feels way more satisfying than pounding away with the guns.
It's probably a bit of a tired comparison by now, but in War Thunder tanks, every single shot is a pretty big deal and has the capability of severely crippling or outright destroying your opponent, so upgrading to something with a bigger gun felt that much more significant even if it's just a few more milimetres of penetration or a slightly bigger explosive filler. Personally I think it'd help if they made the guns more accurate in terms of spread but more difficult to aim (i.e. less/no autoaim for range/elevation), and made criticals more common but with a shorter duration. That would make the player feel more in control of their actions and less at the mercy of the shell dispersion RNG. Landing a full broadside should be something nice and rewarding and not just a few centimetres of the enemy's HP bar.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Burt posted:

Serious discussion.

If it released now I'd get a Minekaze and play it occasionally. It's fun enough for a free game.

I didn't play tanks beta so I don't know how it compared, but there's just nothing very interesting to do in boats. You drive around, left click enemy ships and wait for the RNG to give you citadel hits. The baseline is a lot better than navy field, but aiming in navy field was much more engaging than in boats. Citadel hits just do so much more damage that it obliterates any concept of interesting aiming.

It really needs more things to do, part of which would be solved by unfucking the class balance.
And the official forums are full of turbo grogs suggesting complexities that's make the game less interesting.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 4, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The only things I wanted after Langley was a faster ship with more planes. But the next CV's have some mighty retarded layouts available. I want 2 fighters & 1 torp, but it's either 2 fighters 1 bomb or 1 fighter 2 torps. Wtf?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

James Garfield posted:

I didn't play tanks beta so I don't know how it compared

Current WOT but with half the bullshit.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Ihmemies posted:

The only things I wanted after Langley was a faster ship with more planes. But the next CV's have some mighty retarded layouts available. I want 2 fighters & 1 torp, but it's either 2 fighters 1 bomb or 1 fighter 2 torps. Wtf?

This opens up high in the tree. I think the Ranger has a dumb 3(!) fighter 1 bomber loadout if you just want to say 'gently caress you' to every other CV on the field. That said, I think more fighters is less useful than more TBs, since those let you contribute to the actual ship fight.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Depends on the definition of contribution. I prefer to contribute by scouting and killing enemy tb's so they don't ruin the days of my team's bb's. Even a 1 tb squad was enough to get some damage done in games.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Generation Internet posted:

This opens up high in the tree. I think the Ranger has a dumb 3(!) fighter 1 bomber loadout if you just want to say 'gently caress you' to every other CV on the field. That said, I think more fighters is less useful than more TBs, since those let you contribute to the actual ship fight.

The problem with the ranger though is that the saipan and the lexington has an option for 2x fighter + 2x torp bomber. This option isn't available to the ranger for some unknown reason.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I got my first cheating accusation by a pubbie today:

Apparently I'm going to be reproted by that guy.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 4, 2015

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I've only had a "Reported" text blurb myself after two volleying a guy but he couldn't be baited. :smith:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

CitizenKain posted:

I honestly don't really find the game to be as fun as I expected. The core of the game is really solid, the problem is with everything in the game that isn't shooting at other ships.

Top complaints for me: The maps are terrible and there are too few of them. The only map that I like is the beginner map, the islands make for some fire lanes while providing cover. It also doesn't make sense to restrict maps by tier when you only have 5 maps. Also, the domination style maps end way too quickly, a team that caps 2 points quickly and manages to get a decent point lead early on will win.

I feel that ships could really do with being tougher though. I wouldn't mind if the damage control system had stored charges, so you could say use 1, then 30s later use another, but now there is a 2 minute recharge per use. Its not fun being taken out of the game for a couple of minutes because the rudder is broke.

It just sort of feels like there is less to do. You line your ship up, start tracking enemy ships and just play the shot landing game, of which it feels like you have only modest control. Everything revolves around the massive citadel hits which is kind of boring. Compared to tanks, I just feel like there is so much less I can do to play well.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Citadel pens really need to be toned down.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Citadel hits should probably do like 25% more damage plus bonus module damage, instead of doing three or four times the damage. It's really stupid that a citadel hit does an order of magnitude more damage than another shell that hits half a meter higher.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

James Garfield posted:

Citadel hits should probably do like 25% more damage plus bonus module damage, instead of doing three or four times the damage. It's really stupid that a citadel hit does an order of magnitude more damage than another shell that hits half a meter higher.

No.. No its not.

Citadel hits means that you have hit very vulnerable components. The shell that hits 1 few meter higher does not. Case and point, HMS Hood. 1 solid hit to the magazine was enough to turn this BattleCruiser into a submarine.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Prav posted:

Citadel pens really need to be toned down.

This I can agree to. Perhaps drop torp up front damage and put more damage weight into the flooding would alleviate some of that issue too? Then again, perhaps torps are mainly a problem is the lower tiers.

My biggest issue with the game is the same one with tanks though. It is the players. I've had games where torps did matter in that I was sunk by them. But it wasn't because the destroyer launching them was awesome and outwitted me. It is generally because there are 3 destroyers vomitting torps at me because our team is down to 4 ships remaining and the enemy is down 1 ship. Battleships hanging so far back. Long range accuracy needs some help or something because if destroyers and cruisers push in to be at their range, all the enemy battleships will focus you because their accuracy is improved over the drop shots on enemy battleships.

Maps need more islands too. There are a few where I can dance between a couple and put some shells out while having an escape option to stop getting shelled. Meanwhile there are other maps where literally the islands mean nothing other than to divide north from south.

I would REALLY like to know why wargaming is so paranoid at mirror maps (this goes for tanks as well as botes). MOBAs are mirrored other than perhaps where a nest is (and there is a similar one to the other side taking up the empty stuff, just not as powerful but with similar access). Hell, why is tf2 so popular? The maps are exactly the same for red and blue. There is a varied no mans land, but the base is laid out the same other than a palette swap. CTF1 for quake 1 was also mirrored. There is nothing wrong with mirrored maps. It gives a better frame for casuals and spergs alike. If your casuals can wander around their base and learn the land, they'll suddenly know how to get around the enemy side and understand things. The same casuals if they get sniped off from a certain approach, they'll remember that same defensive point in their base.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Dalael posted:

No.. No its not.

Citadel hits means that you have hit very vulnerable components. The shell that hits 1 few meter higher does not. Case and point, HMS Hood. 1 solid hit to the magazine was enough to turn this BattleCruiser into a submarine.

The HMS Hood did not have hit points. :science:

Seriously though, this game is not realistic enough for that to matter. Citadel hits are functionally equivalent to damage RNG. In tanks the random damage spread is +- 25%, in boats it's two orders of magnitude.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 4, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

James Garfield posted:

The HMS Hood did not have hit points. :science:

Also magazine detonations are already their own category.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hahahahahaha

Please wargaming keep citadel hits the way they are because they allow my US destroyer's guns to wreck dumb pubbie cruisers' games.

Also getting out of tier 5 and going into tier 6 Farragut is like night and day simply because I don't have to pull a stupid S-turn to launch all my torps anymore and solo wreck battleships in a single pair of spreads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Dalael posted:

No.. No its not.

It was already a submarine, the Bismarck just sent it on its last dive

http://www.hmshood.com/ship/hoodspecs7.htm posted:

Public Nickname: The "Mighty Hood"
Crew Nickname(s): There were several...some of which were not particularly flattering! We'll list just the most common ones here:

"The Seven Bs" ("Britain's Biggest Bullsh*ttingest B*stard Built By Brown")
"H.M.S. Wobbly" (or variations thereof)
"Largest Submarine in the Fleet"

because of how "wet" the ship drove in any weather