Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

Tracking indicates my ls7 will arrive the comming weeks, the Bentley in about a month. Im still confused how my wife talked me into the Ls7. I was thinking something like a Rover v8. I like my woman

Your wife sounds amazing. Did she make you get the Tesla too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NitroSpazzz posted:

The M5 came with a hideous radio head unit. The rest of the stereo install is decent and will likely stay but I need a head unit that matches the rest of the car. Are there any companies that make head units that look like mid/late 80's BMW style but would function with a newer audio install? Basically I don't want a big screen, a bunch of lights and graphics.
Speaking of bimmers I'm just curious, did you ever put those bmw sticker stripes on anything?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

There's no anything friendly radio units anymore. Aside from Blaupunkt everything else looks like it belongs in a riced out 90s honda civic. I'm convinced there's a huge market for somebody to design a halfway decent head unit with a simple utilitarian design that doesn't flash blue, red and orange lights every time you turn on your car.

Don't forget Becker.

Unfortunately both of them are a whole lot more money than I want to spend on a radio.

I think you're right: if someone came out with a mid to lower market non-blinkenlight radio with the BT, handfree, AUX in features you can now find in $80 radios they would probably do well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bluetooth isn't a requirement just a feature that would be kind of nice to have. I'll have to find somewhere local I can see Blaupunkt in person to see how boring/dim I can make it. Those Nakamishi's are nice, never heard of them until now...$1700 for a head unit though. It's strange because there's a decent selection for older radios that match cars from the 50's and stuff but nothing really for the period between that and the flashy poo poo that's popular now.

Agreed, it seems a company like Blaupunkt could easily take some of their old designs and add in features while having them look the same and completely dominate the market.

I mean Porsche supposedly sells this for $700 which is pretty awesome.

Or, for simple/cheap with USB: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Car-MP3-Tuner-LCD-Displayer-Car-MP3-Player-Kit-with-USB-SD-Card-FM-Color/700799190.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bluetooth isn't a requirement just a feature that would be kind of nice to have. I'll have to find somewhere local I can see Blaupunkt in person to see how boring/dim I can make it. Those Nakamishi's are nice, never heard of them until now...$1700 for a head unit though. It's strange because there's a decent selection for older radios that match cars from the 50's and stuff but nothing really for the period between that and the flashy poo poo that's popular now.

Agreed, it seems a company like Blaupunkt could easily take some of their old designs and add in features while having them look the same and completely dominate the market.

I mean Porsche supposedly sells this for $700 which is pretty awesome.

I am amazed how cheap in dash DVD/Displays are getting

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yes, they are, but I thought I had read that there was only one "production model" floating around in painter's tape blue and that it was at the New York auto show right now. What color was it?

benefits of living in Deteoit I guess haha

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fart Pipe posted:

As in Brock Samson? Hmm, thats hard to compete with but Stitch is fireproof and bulletproof, and hes really strong :colbert:

haha both him and the biblical hero :3: were a little worried because there's a breed restriction at the apartments we live at but we won't be able to find out what they are until Monday, and we have to pick him up tonight or else we won't be able to get him at all. I know golden retrievers and labs are clear, but the internet says that most places with breed restrictions don't like huskies or GSD's so my wife is stressing out about it lol

my wife's identical twin has his brother so now they're thinking of names like Mowgli and Baloo or Bert and ernie lol. I still like Samson though

add me on snapchat timothyjimothy for puppy pix :3:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 4, 2015

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Tusen Takk posted:

Fairly certain that's a 2010ish RS500: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_%28second_generation,_Europe%29#Focus_RS_500

Still pretty neat since they were never sold here

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Fairly certain that's a 2010ish RS500: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_%28second_generation,_Europe%29#Focus_RS_500

Still pretty neat since they were never sold here

I think you're right, it even says RS 500 under it :shobon:

good eye

now to import one from Europe :getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

fjelltorsk posted:

Tracking indicates my ls7 will arrive the comming weeks, the Bentley in about a month. Im still confused how my wife talked me into the Ls7. I was thinking something like a Rover v8. I like my woman

This is going to be awesome :allears:

You've got a great wife. She's a wonderful influence :3:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Its not like she has knowledge of performance engines, she has just seen the dance where i try to be sensible, buy the boring option and then end up with the overly expensive option in the end

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I came up with an explanation for why we never get huge vans for long stretches of time then like five of them come in on the same loving day

its the pheromones, man

the van pheromones

like killer loving bees but '82 chevy G20s

some say you can hear their mating cals off in the distance. they sound remarkably like whalesong bleating out of fat white sunburned old men, calling their brethren to the firestone

compelled by a natural order they themselves do not understand, generations of instinct taking over and the herd finally forms

magestic in their creaking suspension and oil marking for territory, they lumber onwards in search of shangri la

the land of Firestone

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

the land of Firestone

:golfclap:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

I came up with an explanation for why we never get huge vans for long stretches of time then like five of them come in on the same loving day

its the pheromones, man

the van pheromones

like killer loving bees but '82 chevy G20s

some say you can hear their mating cals off in the distance. they sound remarkably like whalesong bleating out of fat white sunburned old men, calling their brethren to the firestone

compelled by a natural order they themselves do not understand, generations of instinct taking over and the herd finally forms

magestic in their creaking suspension and oil marking for territory, they lumber onwards in search of shangri la

the land of Firestone

Your one hell of a poet. My work is like this with fords. We wont have any for a week or two then BLAM the shop is full all week with ford vehicles.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Speaking of Ford, thank christ they made the Idle Air Control motor easy to get to on the Crown Vics. Pull two 8mm bolts, a plastic hose, and a clip on power plug and it pops right off. Theoretically my random howling / high idle problem should be fixed now. Feels good to finally get stuff fixed now that the weather's warming up :3:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Tusen Takk posted:

Do you guys ever get too excited about a car? (which as mentioned above this is the last gen RS, not the upcoming one)

I seriously just came back to this thread to check if TT had responded because I'm excited about a car that I won't even have the opportunity to pay more than MSRP for until like a year from now and longer if I manage to stay sane and not overpay just to get it sooner.

I should probably just make a different bad decision and buy a 997 or an impossible to find reasonably priced manual e9x M3 sedan.

Or remodel my kitchen since I spend more time working on my house than my cars. :sweatdrop:

OK, enough procrastinating today, time to go pressure wash the patio and mow the lawn.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

Speaking of bimmers I'm just curious, did you ever put those bmw sticker stripes on anything?

I'll be putting a set one the E21 and likely a set on the M5.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Furious 7 was outstanding. They tied in every single movie. Great Paul Walker tribute as well.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Converted the AWD Catte to LEDzzz.

After I plug all the leaks, I'm going to lower dat sumbitch, put on slicks, and embiggen the spoiler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

You mean the ONLY benefit of living in Detroit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

You mean the ONLY benefit of living in Detroit.
Pros:
-amazing Arabic and Asian food
-see the newest big three cars before everyone else
-the red wings
-no smog tests
-huge amount of fresh water swimming holes and even surfing
-Canada is a short drive
-the UP

Cons:
-terrible roads
-terrible winters
-mediocre economy
-high crime rates
-nothing to do except drink at bars or smoke at hookah lounges

idk, it looks like we won't be moving to Tampa after all so I'm trying to think positive

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Meh. poo poo is the same no matter where you move unless it's a drastic change in weather. The grass is always greener.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fjelltorsk posted:

If only the car already had a large-capacity, all-aluminium V8 fitted!

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

InitialDave posted:

If only the car already had a large-capacity, all-aluminium V8 fitted!

With total fire damage and a holes in the block. My initial goal was to just build a cool twin turbo V8. A car to put it in was more an aftertought

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I played with my steam engine today. I haven't messed with it since I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMATmvnuuI

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fjelltorsk posted:

What is your wife's AI account?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Motherfuck why can't adults act like adults. Cousin is mad at my wife for some stupid poo poo the cousin's husband did. I need a cigar, whiskey, and a quiet fishing spot.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

fjelltorsk posted:

With total fire damage and a holes in the block. My initial goal was to just build a cool twin turbo V8. A car to put it in was more an aftertought

Did the idea of finding a salvage P85 for a drive train ever cross your mind?

Dave, stop linking me to cars I have nowhere to store :arghfist::v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fjelltorsk posted:

Then godspeed to you, good goon sir. :wotwot:

Cakefool posted:

Dave, stop linking me to cars I have nowhere to store :arghfist::v:
It's only a little one!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I'm first in line at a red light in front of an onramp to the city's main freeway, and this mk4 golf pulls up beside me loaded with stuff and one of these in tow, I can only assume it was loaded too. Light goes green, I'm in Merge Mode so I've got about 2/3rds throttle into the SC and about a quarter of the way down the ramp I hear the sound of an approaching 4-cylinder letting out a deranged sort of battle cry. I didn't see anything inherently speedy pull up at the light (and I'm usually the only person on the road who merges at more than half the speed limit so I almost never get passed on an onramp, let alone in the 2nd fastest car I've ever owned) so I did a double-take and a shoulder check and sure enough this probably-overloaded VW is passing me. It was pretty clear he was going to be breaking the speed limit and I didn't plan on doing so so I backed off and gave him some extra passing room, as well as a frown of approval as he went by.
It was as humbling as it was amusing, ain't no sleeper like a sleeper with a 10' trailer behind it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

It's only a little one!

I could park it on the E46 roofrack for a little while.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I need a cigar, whiskey, and a quiet fishing spot.

I have to say, you seem to have your poo poo sorted quite well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Heard back from my old boss. He told me to put in my 2 weeks notice. :woop:

Only downsides will be losing direct deposit and access to decent food on the clock, but my commute takes me right past my credit union.

NitroSpazzz posted:

The M5 came with a hideous radio head unit. The rest of the stereo install is decent and will likely stay but I need a head unit that matches the rest of the car. Are there any companies that make head units that look like mid/late 80's BMW style but would function with a newer audio install? Basically I don't want a big screen, a bunch of lights and graphics.

Nthing Blaupunkt. They've always made solid, and for the most part, non-ugly stereos. Some of Alpine's stuff may work too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 4, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yesterday I finished bringing a mower back from the dead that had been kissed by a bulldozer. It just needed some gentle caressing with a 12lb sledge and a couple of crowbars, a wheel, one of those bolt things with the plastic knob for the handle, and the muffler. The old one was rusted and snapped off on me so I had to get the rusted remains of the threaded section out of the exhaust port while my son was "helping" me by pulling on the pull start. When I liberated a donor muffler all the spot welds broke so I had to re-weld it.

Still, got that poo poo sorted. The deck is kind of twisted so it looks like a car torquing it's frame cocking one wheel off the ground but hey, free mower. Don't know why it was thrown out really. It's ancient but the motor is perfect.

Good to have something positive happening even if it is just gaining the ability to mow the grass again. 2015 has been a poo poo of a year.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Not much of a basketball fan but today is a good day to live in Madison Wi. :)
Cant wait to throw up on state street later tonight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A maybe 10 year old kid just totally caught me checking out his incredibly hot mom's rear end. He looked so disappointed in me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

A maybe 10 year old kid just totally caught me checking out his incredibly hot mom's rear end. He looked so disappointed in me.
Please tell me you gave him the "A-OK" hand sign and mouthed "Nice!" at him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Please tell me you gave him the "A-OK" hand sign and mouthed "Nice!" at him.

I just smiled ans shrugged. His disappointment continued.

But for serious, she was way to hot to not look.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Welp, points to Kastein. XJ's issue was a seat base mounting hole blowing out. Slapping a patch on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Rhyno posted:

I do my grocery shopping on the way home from work between 4-5pm and window shop the poo poo out of all the hot depressed housewives dragging their children along. Its really a great way to end a work day.

• Locked thread