Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Innerguard posted:

Repeating question from earlier : which is the best place to use the fragrant branch of yore first - i.e gains access to the most immediately useful thing?

I don't know about SOTFS (which apparently added in a ton more branches and statues), but in vanilla DS2 rosabeth is probably the best choice. (She's the statue in that fork off of Majula past the Benhart guy with the big blue sword.) Plus if you beat the boss in the shaded woods afterwards you can get another branch from Tark, which you can use to save either Ornifex or Straid, both of whom trade weapons for boss souls (or open the path to the chest with the Lion Mage set, which also has another branch).

e: So what's the deal with the full moon sickle? It's a scythe, so it only does half damage if you hit with the shaft instead of the blade, but its moveset is so incredibly lovely that an enemy can be too close for the first 1hR1 but too far for the second 1hR1. And the 1-handed R2 is so slow and so short ranged that you'll always get hit before it goes off. I enchanted it up and tried to use it for a while because it looks cool as hell, but I was pretty much constantly thinking "this would be 3 times easier with my bastard sword".

e2:

Steve2911 posted:

I agree with this, but I do like that it made the player choose which route they wanted to go down first, not knowing when (or if) they'd find another branch. I think when I found the first branch, I'd seen two statues up to that point and I thought I had to choose which to save and which to leave forever.

It's sort of a false choice, though. Only one of the statues actually opens up a new route, the rest just reveal single pieces of loot (or Straid and Olaphis). I remember thinking there was going to be a new level behind Straid's cell because of the bonfire in there, and I was really disappointed when it was just a merchant and nothing else.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sector_corrector posted:

I sort of hated the Fragrant Branches in the original game, since it seemed like the laziest possible way to gate content. The fact they added more really doesn't do anything for me.

I agree with this, but I do like that it made the player choose which route they wanted to go down first, not knowing when (or if) they'd find another branch. I think when I found the first branch, I'd seen two statues up to that point and I thought I had to choose which to save and which to leave forever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Innerguard posted:

Repeating question from earlier : which is the best place to use the fragrant branch of yore first - i.e gains access to the most immediately useful thing?

The lady that's petrified on the switch by Benhart to access a full third of the early game, is the single most cost effective Branch in the game. All of the others are basically estus shards or nice armor/weapons. You could make an argument for Straid as well, but that's more if you know what you're doing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Orv posted:

The lady that's petrified on the switch by Benhart to access a full third of the early game, is the single most cost effective Branch in the game. All of the others are basically estus shards or nice armor/weapons. You could make an argument for Straid as well, but that's more if you know what you're doing.

Yeah, this hasn't changed. Unfreeze her, and maybe save one for the Ruin Sentinels if you're on SotFS edition (unless you want to just skip those because you can).

Also, does anyone know where Lucatiel's summon for the Rotten got to?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like the branch idea if it was used to gate build-defining stuff. Like, clearly the best staff in the game, or the merchant for a specific type of magic, or the leader of a covenant. Give the player N-1 branches in the course of a regular game, and make their application have some sort of meaning for their build. The way it is now you might as well just have a switch or a lever that activates at a certain point. Choosing to get Straid or Rosabeth isn't that interesting, especially since you have to unfreeze Rosabeth at some point anyway. Other statues, like the guy who gates some loot in shaded woods, are just boring. It sort of sucks that instead of making the choice more interesting they seem to have doubled down on the less compelling implementation.

Eh... it's not a huge deal in the long-run.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Booya posted:

Somebody tell me the good thing to download to use my PS3 controller on the computer, please.

ScpServer; clean and simple. Connect your DS3 via USB and let Windows do it's thing. Run the driver installer and then the ScpServer exe. It should automatically pick up the DS3 and make it work as a 360 controller.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
God drat, I cannot do guard breaks or jump attacks at 60fps, but nail it every time at 30fps. That has to be some kind of bug. Does that mean that I'm basically get half as many iFrames at 60fps, since the frames are moving twice as quickly as 30fps?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Holy moley, Staff of Wisdom is now located in Tseldora. A decent Sorcery tool at last.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

NeurosisHead posted:

God drat, I cannot do guard breaks or jump attacks at 60fps, but nail it every time at 30fps. That has to be some kind of bug. Does that mean that I'm basically get half as many iFrames at 60fps, since the frames are moving twice as quickly as 30fps?

No you will have twice as many i-frames in the sense that you need twice as many to be invulnerable for the same amount of time. there never was a problem with i-frames. Probably because it's linked to the refresh rate rather then the framerate or some poo poo like that.

I'm also not sure if guard break or jump attack frames are an issue because I don't have problems switching back and forth.

The only thing that I can say for sure is infamously tied to the framerate is actually your weapon's durability loss when it touches something invincible or dead. But that is no longer a bug but a feature. A stupid feature, but still.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For a first run through, how viable is it to mix in miracles and/or sorcery? Should I not bother until NG+? Just wondering if I can cherry pick some low hanging utility spells to ease the run.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

victrix posted:

For a first run through, how viable is it to mix in miracles and/or sorcery? Should I not bother until NG+? Just wondering if I can cherry pick some low hanging utility spells to ease the run.
If you're looking for utility spells you absolutely can mix and match. You can even use spices to lower the stat requirements for, say, a weapon buff or something else you wanna use without too much of a stat invenstment.
If you want to use pyromancy too this isn't an issue anyway because the scaling of pyro spells is just a small bonus for people who play casters anyway, but it's still powerful even with lower stats.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I feel like all my pvp skills have gone away in the couple months that I didn't play. I'm getting murdered while invading the bell all the time.

Is there a new twink strat or something because sometimes people take barely no damage at all, from piercing, slashing or even blunt, like they have thousands of health.

This is at extremely low SM too, like 250k...

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

Use your small white soapstone. Co-op with someone for a few minutes. Assuming you succeed, it's like resting at a bonfire but without respawning enemies: estus is refilled, damaged (but not broken) equipment is repaired, spells are refilled. Plus your humanity is restored.

Needless to say, do this before you're two smacks away from breaking your weapon. When I'm at about half durability with each of my weapons, I throw down my soapstone sign and go from there. Sometimes I backtrack to an earlier part of the level where I'm more likely to be summoned or have things to kill if I am summoned.

Corollary: if you see small white signs yourself, even if you're not planning on making a run on the boss yet, summon them. So long as there are enemies around to kill anyway. It's often people who just want a refill. And hey, if you make it to the boss with them, so much the better.

I tried this. Seems like a pretty good idea until you factor in my lovely luck with disconnecting or the host dying (or me dying) or whatever else would cause me to go home early, leaving me with even more degraded weapons.

Really I think From should just patch in infinite weapon durability right now and just pretend the entire ill-conceived mechanic never existed. But yea this has been discussed to death already, it's just frustrating. It's very nearly ruining the game for me right now.

Edit: speaking of bugs, invisible armor?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 4, 2015

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

DarthJeebus posted:

I tried this. Seems like a pretty good idea until you factor in my lovely luck with disconnecting or the host dying (or me dying) or whatever else would cause me to go home early, leaving me with even more degraded weapons.

Really I think From should just patch in infinite weapon durability right now and just pretend the entire ill-conceived mechanic never existed. But yea this has been discussed to death already, it's just frustrating. It's very nearly ruining the game for me right now.

Edit: speaking of bugs, invisible armor?

Not a bug. Merely an armor that cannot be seen by cowards.

What do your eyes tell you?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I wish the weapons in this game were broken into functional tiers/groups and randomly placed in the various metal chests throughout the game.

Longswans please make this ♡

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Aparently every time you kill the forlorn another piece of his gear becomes available from straid. I'm really itching to see what that sword is like

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ethanol posted:

I had to rage quit again at Iron Keep last night. Those loving knights that don't stumble but refuse to lay the gently caress off your shield, combined with the turtle men and the explosive arrows........arrg I want to kill myself. probably died 30 times here yesterday

Get something blunt. The craftsman's hammer is my go to weapon for any strength character because it's basically the best weapon, it swings like a straight sword but two/three hits the entire iron keep at +2.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

DarthJeebus posted:

I like it when you help a guy with pursuer and then he black crystals you out of there. After a certain amount of souls gained while you're there, it should just act like duty fulfillment after you get crystaled out by an rear end in a top hat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What the hell are those things with a million swords in No Man's Wharf and where can I expect to see more of them. Also, I appreciate the new shortcut to make boss runs a lot easier. Or, I would if Flexile Sentry were actually hard. Also it's really funny how there's a baked in shadow where there is no longer a chest.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So now that I'm carting around a small arsenal of random junk weapons and I have access to two smiths who are selling more, is it the case that I can pretty much take any 'basic' weapon that I like and upgrade it to usability throughout the game?

I'm currently using a fire longsword which is ok, and a heike sword that has lightning, so I have two elements, which is nice, but I hate the moveset on the heike blade.

Can I pretty much grab any mace or spear or whatever weapon that has moves that I like and upgrade it to be worthwhile?

edit: Also I talked to a king rat and was just squashed by a hippo armadillo cyclops man. This game is loving weird.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

victrix posted:

So now that I'm carting around a small arsenal of random junk weapons and I have access to two smiths who are selling more, is it the case that I can pretty much take any 'basic' weapon that I like and upgrade it to usability throughout the game?

I'm currently using a fire longsword which is ok, and a heike sword that has lightning, so I have two elements, which is nice, but I hate the moveset on the heike blade.

Can I pretty much grab any mace or spear or whatever weapon that has moves that I like and upgrade it to be worthwhile?

edit: Also I talked to a king rat and was just squashed by a hippo armadillo cyclops man. This game is loving weird.

Watch where you sit next time, lmao

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
So are Heide items rare drops now or are there still specific knights who drop them? I didn't get anything from clearing Heide's so I don't know if I'm in the wrong place or just unlucky.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

So are Heide items rare drops now or are there still specific knights who drop them? I didn't get anything from clearing Heide's so I don't know if I'm in the wrong place or just unlucky.

I got a hat and pants from killing those dudes in Heides and I got a Heide Lance from a Heide Knight that was in jail somewhere else.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I wish the weapons in this game were broken into functional tiers/groups and randomly placed in the various metal chests throughout the game.

Longswans please make this ♡

You joke (at least I think that was to me), but that is technically possible, actually. If you were to go through the game data and pick out where every metal chest item loadout is, you can replace them.

You'd need to write a program that can keep an external file configuration though, so that it would persist between saves (like how Watchdog uses a file to hold your banlist). You'd load the program and it would make the needed changes to the game.

That said, you'd also need to find someone willing to map out the item lots. In other words not me, if I recall those things are kind of annoying.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 4, 2015

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Tallgeese posted:

You joke (at least I think that was to me), but that is technically possible, actually. If you were to go through the game data and pick out where every metal chest item loadout is, you can replace them.

You'd need to write a program that can keep an external file configuration though, so that it would persist between saves (like how Watchdog uses a file to hold your banlist). You'd load the program and it would make the needed changes to the game.

That said, you'd also need to find someone willing to map out the item lots. In other words not me, if I recall those things are kind of annoying.

I hope someone does. That would be wonderful. I'm glad to know it's possible!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Unfortunately, something like that would require going through the game's item lot tables. Someone could use QuickBMS to do it I suppose, if they knew the data structure for those tables.

And I'm assuming my memory is working right and the Item Lot tables contain chest data and not just enemy drops.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

DarthJeebus posted:

Yeah, I've run into that too. Mostly the host dying. (If you die, that's your responsibility.)

That's why I do it before I'm really in any sort of risk of breaking things. Also why I backtrack sometimes to put my sign down somewhere that a. it's more likely to be seen, b. it's more likely to be used, c. there are a bunch of nearby trash mobs for me to help with.

For example in the wharf, you'll get reliable hits around or just after the bridge/water part near the beginning, and unless the host has pre-cleared or something (which they usually won't have done, if they're grabbing a small sign in that area), there are lots and lots of trash mobs nearby with very low risk to the host, and you'll complete your duty easily.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So watching the old "This is how you DON'T play..." videos made me reinstall DS2. I don't have the new version because I had all the DLC and am cheap. Is there any PVP scene still for the original version of the game? Or did everyone just migrate over? I was hoping to start a new character and screw around with that.

EDIT: sucked up the 20 bucks and bought scholar because someone told me about some cool new pursuer fights and placements. I am intrigued now. I need to find out what the soul levels and poo poo for PVP are now.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 5, 2015

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Think this is worth the $20 startover if I'm at the last boss and haven't touched any of the DLC content yet (I own everything though)? Or should I just finish the entire original?

Maxed out in almost every covenant too; the thought of starting over is kinda aghhhh

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
So I killed Pate and took his spear and headed over to Belfry. First off, gently caress the pursuers everywhere, especially the one at the bottom of that ladder. It is so tight down there and his sword clips through everything, no using the ladder to hide behind while you heal, you get caught on that drat box while rolling, it is brutal to fight down there as someone who doesn't use a shield. However, getting into the covenant with that spear has been a blast. I hadn't used spears at all the last time I played Dark Souls 2 and I was missing out! I kill almost everyone with that thing, it is as if no one is aware of the range it has.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dongsweep posted:

So I killed Pate and took his spear and headed over to Belfry. First off, gently caress the pursuers everywhere, especially the one at the bottom of that ladder. It is so tight down there and his sword clips through everything, no using the ladder to hide behind while you heal, you get caught on that drat box while rolling, it is brutal to fight down there as someone who doesn't use a shield. However, getting into the covenant with that spear has been a blast. I hadn't used spears at all the last time I played Dark Souls 2 and I was missing out! I kill almost everyone with that thing, it is as if no one is aware of the range it has.

Yeah, spears are amazing. Everyone looks at the lance you can now get in FotFG and goes :stare: and treats it as a real man's weapon. But something completely mundane like the cheap as gently caress spear you can get from Leningrast? "Psh, just some noob."

And then they get poked to death. :getin:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The Joe Man posted:

Think this is worth the $20 startover if I'm at the last boss and haven't touched any of the DLC content yet (I own everything though)? Or should I just finish the entire original?

Maxed out in almost every covenant too; the thought of starting over is kinda aghhhh

Yup. Currently working on a list of changes in case you wanna check the changes by yourself.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Any body see a bug where if you two-hand a weapon, you automatically go into the 'blocking' animation and cannot unblock? Just started up a new game as a cleric. :stare:

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, spears are amazing. Everyone looks at the lance you can now get in FotFG and goes :stare: and treats it as a real man's weapon. But something completely mundane like the cheap as gently caress spear you can get from Leningrast? "Psh, just some noob."

And then they get poked to death. :getin:

I picked up the channeler's Trident and so far it has carried me to victory the two times I've been invaded. I've made dual wielders swap to a shield and they still die to me. (stone ring is too strong). Get a spear, hitting for 140 for no stats is too good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Check the lower keys in your keyboard. Stuff like N and Z are auto block, auto run and stuff.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

PseudoFaux posted:

I picked up the channeler's Trident and so far it has carried me to victory the two times I've been invaded. I've made dual wielders swap to a shield and they still die to me. (stone ring is too strong). Get a spear, hitting for 140 for no stats is too good.

:black101:

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Is there a spreadsheet or something that shows what levels I should be for each area for PVP/Coop?

I played about 4 hours today and somehow blew bast the giant, the pursuer, the sentinels, and gargoyles. Consequently I am like level 55 which seems too high to be able to play with others in the Wharf and the area before that?

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

dongsweep posted:

Is there a spreadsheet or something that shows what levels I should be for each area for PVP/Coop?

I played about 4 hours today and somehow blew bast the giant, the pursuer, the sentinels, and gargoyles. Consequently I am like level 55 which seems too high to be able to play with others in the Wharf and the area before that?

The piece between hiede's and the warf is co-opless. Until you reach the bonfire outside no-mans you will not be able to summon. Also, most people skip no-man's

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

dongsweep posted:

The areas with their images highlighted in orange on the warp map means there's players on that are around your soul-memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there like any primary soul-level for PVP anymore?