Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Rexxed posted:

For the most part the cheapest thing will do this. Even a tablet will skype and hearthstone and stream netflix if it supports HDMI output. I think with a chromecast or otg to hdmi adapter even my nexus 7 2013 would handle these tasks, although I find hearthstone less annoying with a mouse (but the tablet can do that, too).

Hey, thanks for the help. Options are a little more limited in Australia.

I guess I'm looking at something like the Acer ES1-311-C9XM 13" Notebook for $300. No idea what the processor is like though [Intel Core Celeron N2840 Processor (1MB Cache, 2.58 GHz)].

For better "value", I can see the ThinkPad E450 on sale for $900, but I'm not sure I need any of its extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Optiquest posted:

Is the touchscreen on the xps 13 better than the non touch? Anyone find themselves utilizing the touch screen or do you forget its there? Hows the keyboard? Looking for something lighter than my T420 with better battery that I can carry around school all day.

I'm also curious if the touch screen and the QHD screen are worth it. I've read a couple reviews that mention scaling issues with the upgraded screen but not sure how prevalent they are.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SteveMcQueen posted:

I'm also curious if the touch screen and the QHD screen are worth it. I've read a couple reviews that mention scaling issues with the upgraded screen but not sure how prevalent they are.

Scaling issues with a QHD screen are more of a windows issue, you can read a review of just about any super-high-def-screen computer and read about them.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Someone wrote that this model of laptop have loose screws and maybe superfish. Is there anything else i should know about it?

Lenovo Z710 17.3" Full HD
GeForce 840M, Core i7-4702MQ, 8GB RAM, 1000GB SSHD, DVD±RW, Windows 8.1

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

teagone posted:

You might not even need to install Ubuntu. When you jump into Chrome OS you'd be surprised at how efficient it is for most things. Netflix being one of them :) There's a Netflix "app" in the Chrome Web Store that you can pin to your Chrome OS shelf that also gives you the option to run Netflix in it's own separate window.

Planning to install "alongside" with a handy shortcut key to switch between them. I'm a Rails dev and need to get some work done so running Ubuntu isn't really an option if I'm not running OS X.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Optiquest posted:

Is the touchscreen on the xps 13 better than the non touch? Anyone find themselves utilizing the touch screen or do you forget its there? Hows the keyboard? Looking for something lighter than my T420 with better battery that I can carry around school all day.

The non-touch version with the 1080p screen has significantly better battery life, which sounds like something that would be useful for you.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

The non-touch version with the 1080p screen has significantly better battery life, which sounds like something that would be useful for you.

Also, as mentioned, scaling is a windows issue. If you have a 1080p screen that's only 13 inches and run scaling lots of little things look weird like a pixelated iTunes icon or menu items. If you turn scaling off, or to 100%, the windows stuff becomes small enough to juuuuust be on the edge of comfortability for me. So if you get QHD you'll pretty much have to use scaling just to be able to see your mouse cursor. If scaling bothers you, don't get the QHD.

I got the 1080p non touch and run scaling at 100% because the pixelation bothered me. I love it.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

SteveMcQueen posted:

Did you go for the 1080p screen or the upgrade? I'm about ready to pull the trigger but unsure on if the screen upgrade is worth it.

I just got the standard, it's great. I am probably not knowledgeable enough to really comment on whether it's better than the upgrade or not. I just can't believe how clear and crisp everything is. Also the keyboard is really satisfying somehow..

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Trying to learn Unity in my spare time, but my laptop just broke. I think it was a wire that attached to my charger, and I may be able to sided it for a few more weeks of life, but it's on it's way out.

I used to have an Asus K55n which I got for about $300 USD, and found reasonable value for the price. I'm poor as dirt and can't really afford much better, but want to be able to run games, what's my best option?

EDIT: I'm also apparently a Gorilla, as my laptop casing was falling apart, so please warn me if the system in question is fragile.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 4, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Moriatti posted:

Trying to learn Unity in my spare time, but my laptop just broke. I think it was a wire that attached to my charger, and I may be able to sided it for a few more weeks of life, but it's on it's way out.

I used to have an Asus K55n which I got for about $300 USD, and found reasonable value for the price. I'm poor as dirt and can't really afford much better, but want to be able to run games, what's my best option?

EDIT: I'm also apparently a Gorilla, as my laptop casing was falling apart, so please warn me if the system in question is fragile.

There was a guy a page or two back trying to offload his old laptop. An older gaming notebook for 500 or so is probably your best bet.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Guess I'll go with the non touch xps 13. 8.1 or 8.1 pro? 256gb an okay value for the extra $100 or should I just install a bigger ssd myself?

Are both displays IPS?

Guess everyone is about out till the 23rd anyway

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 4, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A MIRACLE posted:

Planning to install "alongside" with a handy shortcut key to switch between them. I'm a Rails dev and need to get some work done so running Ubuntu isn't really an option if I'm not running OS X.

I didn't realize dual-booting on a Chromebook was an option, haha.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Optiquest posted:

Guess I'll go with the non touch xps 13. 8.1 or 8.1 pro? 256gb an okay value for the extra $100 or should I just install a bigger ssd myself?

Are both displays IPS?

Guess everyone is about out till the 23rd anyway

Check out the chart: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx You probably don't need any of that.

The SSD is standard sized M.2 so it's replaceable, but you won't get a 256gb for $100 so it might actually be worth the upgrade.

Both are 1080p.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Demonachizer posted:

Will I regret getting the 3k display on the W550S?

Also is the touchpad super horrible? I feel like Lenovo did something weird lately with their touchpads. I bought my daughter an X1 carbon with the stupid touch function keys and the clicking on the touchpad is almost unusable especially if using the trackpoint. I noticed that the W550S has hardware mousekeys for the trackpoint so that seems to be better at least.

Sorry for quoting myself but I think it might have gotten lost on last page in the middle of the night.

EDIT: I guess from my research the scaling in windows sucks. I was wondering because it seems the macbook pro retinas are 3k panels as well and they are considered cream of the crop. Is there a bright spot on the horizon? I really want a touch screen but it if 3k would actively be a detriment I guess I could live without. Does it look like W10 will have better scaling?

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 5, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well drat. I was trolling the local classifieds online this morning and found a T440s for $550. Got the guy to $500 just by asking.

1080p IPS touch
i5 4300U
8gigs RAM
256 SSD
Fingerprint/webcam/backlit
2.9 years left on the warranty

Was running Ubuntu but I downloaded the 8.1 Pro USB installation from Microsoft. The key in the BIOS activated instantly.

Looks like it's never been used.

Lucky day I guess. I'm not sure he understood what he had, but cool.

I know it has the horrendous single slab clicky pad but I am over it.

Was eyeing the Dell infinity touch, but no more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They come with a 3 year warranty so yeah that has to be nearly brand new.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The T450s apparently comes with three m.2 slots if configured correctly. One is taken up by the cache drive and is easily replaced. A second is taken up by the WLAN card, which seems like a good idea to leave in. The third is, as best I can tell, a 2242-sized slot that requires a single-sided SSD.

Do these things exist? After a bit of searching last night I couldn't find anything that seemed to be 2242 and single-sided.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Optiquest posted:

They're about the same quality, if you search my posts in this thread I have some side by side pics. The touch looks a little nicer as the screen has a sheet of glass that's flush with the front. The non touch is recessed a little bit like a regular screen.

They're equally bright, equal color reproduction. Non touch is matte though. Which is a good thing if you're a laptop snob. Dell really pulled out all the stops with this one.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 5, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only real complaint I've seen (the webcam is not a real complaint, who cares?) is that apparently the screen is dimmer than the competition.

Personally I've never found a need to really kick up the brightness on a laptop though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dell Australia, why won't you let me get a non-touch XPS13 with a 256 GB drive. :sigh:

Anyone know any discounts or deals applicable down here to Dell, by the way?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MikeJF posted:

Dell Australia, why won't you let me get a non-touch XPS13 with a 256 GB drive. :sigh:

Anyone know any discounts or deals applicable down here to Dell, by the way?

Is AAA a thing in Australia? In the US they'll get you like ~15% off, which'll pay for a year of their service and then some.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
AAA pays for itself so many times over annually if you actually remember to use it

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
My brother is looking to get a laptop for music production. He doesn't want a MBP because he basically thinks he can get a comparably spec'd setup from a windows PC that is nice enough.

His budget is ~$1500 and his must haves are:

i7 quad core
16gb ram
ssd
15 inch screen
portable (in terms of a 15" so like 4-6lbs)

Things like the ram and SSD do not need to be options from the manufacturer, as long as the ability to upgade is there.

The models he is considering are:

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-77FS (This has a 5400 rpm drive that is supposedly not totally easy to replace)
ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS74
MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-444

He is really having trouble making a decision and is by no means tied down to any of the models listed. He is open for whatever you folks wanna suggest.

Thanks for any help!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think a lot of acer laptops I've worked on tend to put the HD under the keyboard, and the keyboard doesn't seem to always want to go back in properly from what I've seen, at least on their lower end models :shrug:

Otherwise I've always had good luck with acer

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
I use my macbook pro on a wooden table that has a metal covering. It gets really hot. Should I worry about this overheating long-term with 3-8 hours of use per day?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jewce posted:

My brother is looking to get a laptop for music production.
Don't forget to add a 1080p IPS screen to the requirements. Indispensible on any machine that's going to fulfill any sort of 'productivity' role.

Always nice to actually see enough of your timeline/plugin windows in a DAW. I did Cubase on 1366x768 for three years and you basically can't get anything done.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
IPS is indispensible for productivity?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is AAA a thing in Australia? In the US they'll get you like ~15% off, which'll pay for a year of their service and then some.

I don't believe there's any link between the American Automotive Association and the Australian Automotive Association. In any case, certainly no deals.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jewce posted:

My brother is looking to get a laptop for music production. He doesn't want a MBP because he basically thinks he can get a comparably spec'd setup from a windows PC that is nice enough.

Are we talking america? Because in my native land of weird prices, the kingdom of Denmark, a laptop specced like a rMBP will cost you the same as a real rMBP.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

sarehu posted:

Productivity generally implying several consecutive hours a day behind the screen, I'd say yes. Worth the upgrade at least.

I've got a bit of confidence in the IPS technology guaranteeing at least a passable screen. I'll never buy a TN panel unseen again, however. Some are ok, some are really, really bad and make me want to cry.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jewce posted:

His budget is ~$1500 and his must haves are:

i7 quad core
16gb ram
ssd
15 inch screen
portable (in terms of a 15" so like 4-6lbs)

Things like the ram and SSD do not need to be options from the manufacturer, as long as the ability to upgade is there.

The models he is considering are:

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-77FS (This has a 5400 rpm drive that is supposedly not totally easy to replace)
ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS74
MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-444

He is really having trouble making a decision and is by no means tied down to any of the models listed. He is open for whatever you folks wanna suggest.

Thanks for any help!

Macs don't have anywhere near the price premium they used to, and sometimes are even the cheaper option. If he wants a rMBP, he should get an rMBP, I can't think of any non-Apple laptops that are comparable without costing more. He might look at the Dell M3800 series, but by the time you spec them nice they're $2000+.

If he's willing to sacrifice screen quality, build quality, and get a bulky laptop, he could look at Sager / Clevo machines, that's going to be the cheapest way to a 15" machine with a beefy quad core. They're certainly not bad, just a little big.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

sarehu posted:

its indispensable if you value your eyesight

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

go3 posted:

its indispensable if you value your eyesight

I know it's trendy to be too good for TN, but I'm going to play devils advocate and suggest that on productivity laptops that aren't doing graphical content creation, IPS is a luxury and not a necessity. Panel quality is more important for watching movies or looking at photos than it is getting work done. TN panels don't have to be bad either, the Macbook Air still uses a TN panel and it gets recommended around here like crazy.

Edit: Am I missing something? Can someone explain to me how TN panels hurt your eyes? Have you guys just tried turning down the brightness?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 5, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Again, depending on the value your put on your eyesight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Demonachizer posted:

Sorry for quoting myself but I think it might have gotten lost on last page in the middle of the night.

EDIT: I guess from my research the scaling in windows sucks. I was wondering because it seems the macbook pro retinas are 3k panels as well and they are considered cream of the crop. Is there a bright spot on the horizon? I really want a touch screen but it if 3k would actively be a detriment I guess I could live without. Does it look like W10 will have better scaling?

It's more random application developers than it is windows itself- Some things will work totally fine scaled to 150-200% DPI, others will be hilariously awful depending on how terrible/lazy the dev in question is. That said, Microsoft's own programs are included in the hit and miss factor, which is sorta mind boggling, but that's the way it is. Win10 is probably better in that MS is fixing more of their own stuff as time goes on (And anything metro/modern UI/whatever has perfect scaling too, and they're moving more windows UI and settings to that style), but it's still nothing like a magic bullet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a second issue with a flag a program can set. Let Windows handle scaling, or the program will scale itself.

Many choose the latter but then don't actually do anything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Twerk from Home posted:

I know it's trendy to be too good for TN, but I'm going to play devils advocate and suggest that on productivity laptops that aren't doing graphical content creation, IPS is a luxury and not a necessity. Panel quality is more important for watching movies or looking at photos than it is getting work done. TN panels don't have to be bad either, the Macbook Air still uses a TN panel and it gets recommended around here like crazy.

Edit: Am I missing something? Can someone explain to me how TN panels hurt your eyes? Have you guys just tried turning down the brightness?

LIght weight is a luxury. A good panel is a necessity.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

There are very bad TN panels out there. They look okayish at high brightness -if they even offer that- and very quickly devolve into a featureless grey rectangle once you start turning that down. That's barely hyperbole. Looking at them is tiresome either way. Damaging? Nah. But not worth bothering with for the money you save.

I have one of those in a 2014 Lenovo laptop, in case you thought I was a time traveler from 15 years ago. I've seen TN panels that are perfectly ok as well. I just don't think it's worth taking the gamble when ordering a laptop, typically sight unseen from a website. You're already spending $1000-$1500, why handicap it with a lesser screen. Some well known and known good laptops may get a pass based on reputation and a wealth of good reviews. Most laptops don't have that going for them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Some well known and known good laptops may get a pass based on reputation and a wealth of good reviews. Most laptops don't have that going for them.

Even where they do the actual panel used is something that can change without notice and vary widely in quality - even Apple is affected by this (although they at least make an effort to keep standards consistent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Boiled Water posted:

Again, depending on the value your put on your eyesight.

TN panels don't hurt anyone's eyesight. (Maybe this is hard for you to understand if you spent your childhood in front of a CRT, the X-rays zapped your neurons.)