Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Did anybody make a Cyberpunk Dystopia mod yet? I want to designate an area of my city as 'Ghoul Paradise" or make cybereyes illegal downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

All of a sudden, a huge portion of my high density housing (west side of town) got sick. Like, thousands of people all at once. This doesn't affect the low density east side. I have no idea how that happened, is it an issue with the plumbing and water pipes?

I also get a lot of notices that my farming industry (a lot of which is now unfortunately empty) needs workers immediately. They've said this for years, and I have no idea what to do. How do I solve this, beyond just waiting for more people to come to town?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Riosan posted:

All of a sudden, a huge portion of my high density housing (west side of town) got sick. Like, thousands of people all at once. This doesn't affect the low density east side. I have no idea how that happened, is it an issue with the plumbing and water pipes?

I also get a lot of notices that my farming industry (a lot of which is now unfortunately empty) needs workers immediately. They've said this for years, and I have no idea what to do. How do I solve this, beyond just waiting for more people to come to town?

Check your water supply and water pollution.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

beerinator posted:

This already happens. Click the person's name.

Thank you for this. I'm no dummy when it comes to city builders, but for some reason things in C:SL escape my oversight.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

If Chirpy is too intrusive, try Chirpy Banner:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406623071

It requires Mod Corral:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419090722

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
PSA: Even though dezoning an area doesn't perform immediate interactive demolishing like other games, the buildings will still get demolished even if you rezone with their correct type while paused. Also, cims won't just move to other housing if you bulldoze their other homes. Lost 2000 residents to that one. Oops.

Also also, check out ChirpFilter, it removes the noise and just leaves service complaints.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 4, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What the gently caress...reinstalling unsubscribed all my mods?? For gently caress's sake...

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

sincx posted:

Check your water supply and water pollution.

Maybe I've hosed up badly, or I'm missing something obvious. I don't understand how to fix it. It's beginning to spread to other housing areas, and it appears that the pipes are moving properly in both areas. Are there any ways to bulldoze pipes and just start fresh?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

God drat trains keep backing up at the map border altough I solve the problem every time. There should just be some kind of delete script which nukes all the trains getting to border.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Subyng posted:

What the gently caress...reinstalling unsubscribed all my mods?? For gently caress's sake...

I had a scare yesterday when I thought this happened but restarting Steam fixed it.

Also, make a private collection of your current mods so you don't lose them!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

KakerMix posted:

I had a scare yesterday when I thought this happened but restarting Steam fixed it.

That's what has worked for me.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Riosan posted:

Maybe I've hosed up badly, or I'm missing something obvious. I don't understand how to fix it. It's beginning to spread to other housing areas, and it appears that the pipes are moving properly in both areas. Are there any ways to bulldoze pipes and just start fresh?

Yes, you can bulldoze pipes, but that's not the solution.

Get your water pumping stations as far away as possible from your drain pipes. You don't want them even in the vicinity of each other. Pop open the pollution report (icon looks like a purple barrel) and look at the dark red zone of contamination coming from drains.

When placing them, you'll see arrows in the body of water. You want all pumps upstream and all drains downstream. You have pumps right next to your drains and you're sucking up sewer water back into the system. This is what's making people sick.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416492685&searchtext=

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

Elevated walkways? Elevated Walkways.

I want something like this so bad. The Gate Tower building someone made inspired me to try and maybe do megablocks with elevated walkway connections but I have no idea if that would work (like do the cims only spawn at the base of the building or what?) and also I haven't modded anything ever.

But I want Megacity Skylines.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Legitimately wasted real money in order to make the badges for this game so I could get the two chirp emoticons.

What have I become.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright I've gotten bored of this city, starting a new one.

Pretty much no traffic problems, a couple issues in the outskirts since I haven't optimized well out there but the heart of the city is fine. Couple red spots, but those are just high traffic spots - nothing is really jammed up.

Hong Kong map (I think)

I'd have a lot more money coming in but Birch Square has a lot of high rise buildings from the workshop so I'm spending a lot on special buildings.

e: loving chirper popped up right as I hit f12

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Westminster System posted:

Legitimately wasted real money in order to make the badges for this game so I could get the two chirp emoticons.

What have I become.

There are chirp emoticons? Know what I'm doing when I get home...

Also I keep thinking about that RPS interview and how they had an idea in mind that hasn't appeared as a mod yet, curious to what it might be.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Is there an easy way to add all my subscribed items to a collection or will I have to add them one by one?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

But I want Megacity Skylines.
They did mention in the RPS interview that after tunnels they want to add terraced buildings. So while you never know what might be moddable in a few months time, but giant monstrous blocks sound in the pipeline. That said it'll probably be made as a mod before they can even do it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Subyng posted:

Is there an easy way to add all my subscribed items to a collection or will I have to add them one by one?

Nope, one by one. Steam workshop is great in that it exists, but it is very 'this was designed in 2005 and never touched again' in its design and usability.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Sometimes a collection will have a "Subscribe to all" button at the top of the list, but not always.

I've yet to determine a reason for why or why not it shows up.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What can I do about this?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

What can I do about this?

There are 3 places where traffic can enter your city from the highway. Make more.

Your grid on the left looks great for north/south transit, but really lovely for east/west. Try extending some of those roads to cover the length of the grid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone figured out what causes train jams at the edge of the map? It's so random, but it seems like once a connection is prone to clogging it will always clog. So I'll just make maps with a bunch of train connections and hope half of them work.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dublish posted:

There are 3 places where traffic can enter your city from the highway. Make more.

Your grid on the left looks great for north/south transit, but really lovely for east/west. Try extending some of those roads to cover the length of the grid.

I'll try to make more space for highway stuff. I tried not to make the western stuff into a full grid because I thought too many intersections in a row slowed down traffic.
Any idea what I can do in the eastern (residential) area? It's mostly commuting to work and shopping that's the problem there, I think.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GrossMurpel posted:

Any idea what I can do in the eastern (residential) area? It's mostly commuting to work and shopping that's the problem there, I think.
Start with taking the three N-S four-lane roads and only making one of them intersect the busy E-W road (make it like a trident a few buildings before the E-W road). You have too many intersections on that E-W road.

Then upgrade all the 4-lane roads to 6-lane. They're the same width and handle intersections slightly better.

Regarding the west side, that's a lot of industry. Industry needs to go to other industry (specialized -> generic), commercial, and out of town. Your little red curly-Q north highway entrance ramp is probably almost all goods leaving your city -- if you put a highway exit on the west side (like near where your road crosses over top of the highway) a lot of that traffic won't go "through town".

edit: also in my opinion, just because the road shows red doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. If it's red with no backups, seems ok to me.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 5, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I need more city building music. Already exhausted the Sim City 3 and 4 soundtracks.

Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi seem to work well. Any other recommendations?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I'll try to make more space for highway stuff. I tried not to make the western stuff into a full grid because I thought too many intersections in a row slowed down traffic.

Too many intersections can slow down traffic (WithoutTheFezOn has pointed out one such location on your map), but too few intersections is forcing all your traffic onto those two 6-lane roads in the west.

If you're going for a proper grid, you'll want something more like this:

The thick black lines are your major arterials, and the thinner black lines are local 2-lanes. I've sketched out a frontage road system in blue that should make it easier for traffic to enter and exit the highway where it wants, though the on/offramps are probably going to be a little cramped in that format.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SwissCM posted:

I need more city building music. Already exhausted the Sim City 3 and 4 soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU :v:

Bonus points if youre listening to it while using this map http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407345037&searchtext=toronto

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Those of you with a 4790k, what kind of temps are you seeing? I just got one and with a H100i I am in the mid 70's and hit 81 on my 160k 25-tile city. My other temps seemed normal range of 30-35 idle and 50-60 in other games.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

SwissCM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?PoopPoopFart

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks this is just what I've been looking for :shrek:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
First thing I do when I find traffic problems is look at intersections around those problems.

First: a problem isn't necessarily a red spot on your traffic overlay. Red is heavy, depending on other traffic.

In my experience, bad traffic is almost always in one of those red zones, but it's a red zone that actually has multiple light traffic backups. Meaning there's a line of cars or trucks that are backed up through multiple turns of the traffic light. You're always going to have red zones, just because some traffic has to be worse than other traffic.

Second: if you do actually find real traffic problems, you probably have too many intersections. Delete some of those intersections, or make more roads merge together into the same intersections. Don't worry about displacing people. This is the life of a good mayor.

If you're dealing with traffic off of an interstate, check the length of your off ramps. Lengthen those if possible. I fixed a pretty big problem with my industry traffic by lengthening an offramp and removing an extra intersection.

If you don't care about a little bit of cheating: keep reading.

Save your game and try a few things. You have to wait multiple days to see changes. Cars in motion, already have their pathfinding. You have to wait until after your road changes before people/cars will get new pathfinding from the source. If after many days your traffic isn't fixed, you can reload from the save and try again.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SwissCM posted:

I find that 80s and early 90s instrumental electronica/krautrock such as Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream work very well, especially if you like watching cars and trucks go about their business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0XuGnur6k

Here's Exit by Tangerine Dream as an example

I also recommend 76:14 by Global Communication

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 5, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Baronjutter posted:

Has anyone figured out what causes train jams at the edge of the map? It's so random, but it seems like once a connection is prone to clogging it will always clog. So I'll just make maps with a bunch of train connections and hope half of them work.

I've had this bug before and thought it was due to the large output of trains from my city. I just intentionally derailed the regional tracks and waited it to clear for a week, then reinstalled it and it now works well. Really don't know what causes it, though.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians (and I suppose some of his other stuff) is really good for this. Sufjan Stevens' The BQE would be great (maybe also the States albums if you don't mind singing)

Starhawk64 posted:

Here's Exit by Tangerine Dream as an example

I also recommend 76:14 by Global Communication
Also maybe classic Orb (the first 3-4 albums up to Orbus Terrarum, anyway). A few other things like Stereolab or Sigur Ros work reasonably well too.

And to blow my own trumpet, I was finishing up some poo poo right about when the game came out and basically I tested out the final mixes while playing the game.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

suddenlyissoon posted:

Those of you with a 4790k, what kind of temps are you seeing? I just got one and with a H100i I am in the mid 70's and hit 81 on my 160k 25-tile city. My other temps seemed normal range of 30-35 idle and 50-60 in other games.

That doesn't seem right. I'm running a 2600k @ 5ghz with an h80 and I've never broken 59, while streaming on twitch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This game made my computer's fan come on full power which I never heard before, only when running on fast. It was kind cool, I could control the pitch of my fan almost instantly by adjusting the speed of the game. Eventually I figured out I just needed to clean my computer out and now it runs cool and quiet again.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Did anybody make a Cyberpunk Dystopia mod yet? I want to designate an area of my city as 'Ghoul Paradise" or make cybereyes illegal downtown.

Build more 4x4 farms. You'll have a huge cyberpunk dystopian gridlock for miles on all your streets and nearly all your farms will look like futuristic genetic research facilities.

SwissCM posted:

Did you just have a stroke mid sentence or is that Welsh? :v:

I find easy listening in general to be a good match with city builder games. Especially given the tendency for them to be 50s style America.
Edit: another great option is "music to shop to" or that generic shopping music that used to be played a lot in stores back in the day. Before normal music supplanted it. A lot of it is easy listening too.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

SwissCM posted:

Steve Reich stuff, like Music for 18 Musicians. Pretty similar to the SC4 music, if I remember right