Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogren

Enlightened beast
Spirit among mortals
Spreader of wisdom
Forever watchful
Good kitty
:angelcatte:

FluffieDuckie posted:

Phone posting from vacation to remind everyone that I love you all for doing this (and for other reasons too).

Except I am he. He has a funny butt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
:wave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
the sound cue is helpful

joke_explainer

dogcrash truther posted:

the sound cue is helpful

other than that it keeps giving me a heart attack, yes

dogcrash truther
the sound played now but the probe counter didnt update...

cuntman.net

make security drone a mod so he can debug it

Piso Mojado

probe security drone till it works.

joke_explainer

so there is a file it uses to store the results from the server, which it queries every 10 seconds, and every request reads that file until the file's timestamp is 10 seconds old

this is so it doesn't sit there requesting data from SA every second for every person reading it, no matter how many people read it, there's only one request every 10 seconds

my development copy also has a cache, and I've been deploying from dev to prod with just copying the dir over

when I overwrite the cache it's confused on one tick because it looks like everybody just disappeared / fails read, but then the next second, we go from 0 to 106 probes or whatever

so it plays the sound when I deploy from dev to prod

I'll try to remember to delete the cache before copying it over in the future, sorry everyone.

joke_explainer

i just pushed an update that will keep it from playing the song on load, even though it was cool, its pretty loud / annoying when you're refreshing a lot. now it should only play on probe

Piso Mojado

dev, test, then prod! :redass:

Piso Mojado

do you have this in github? I'm genuinely interested in the code

joke_explainer

its embarrassingly bad because I did not figure out how I wanted it to work before I started making it, I thought I would just make a # in plain text that appeared when you loaded the page but then got carried away but hop on IRC if you want it

joke_explainer

Piso Mojado posted:

dev, test, then prod! :redass:

i did test it. no amount of testing on dev would have detected this bug, as it was caused by the act of deploying it

treasure bear

joke_explainer posted:

i did test it. no amount of testing on dev would have detected this bug, as it was caused by the act of deploying it

test deployment on the staging server

joke_explainer

Cumt posted:

test deployment on the staging server

that would work, but I just meant in this 1 step model

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

test is a noun in this case not a verb.

treasure bear

joke_explainer posted:

that would work, but I just meant in this 1 step model

it's clear that you just don't care enough about the byob probation tracker platform to implement proper process

joke_explainer

cumt's is really amazingly done tho. did you know when its displayed in the gas chamber, it has a grey background, while in the normal forums its the blue background?

dogcrash truther
i assumed its' just got a transparent bg

joke_explainer

nope, dl it, its blue background for anybody not viewing it in the gas chamber. very cool

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Cumt posted:

it's clear that you just don't care enough about the byob probation tracker platform to implement proper process

its shameful, really

Piso Mojado

how dare you do something nice and thoughtful for the forums without adhering to strict enterprise level deployment best practices!

treasure bear

it can't be transparent for dumb technical reasons so i made it detect if it was posted in the leper's colony

here's the code for mine http://pastebin.com/6jrzS19w

security drone's site is more gooder and it was his idea to make a script to track it

lumpycnt

i realize i'm that guy of this place, but i do declare secdrone/joke_explainer should be the ultimate mod of this forum. he's amazing.

joke_explainer

lumpycnt posted:

i realize i'm that guy of this place, but i do declare secdrone/joke_explainer should be the ultimate mod of this forum. he's amazing.

thanks LC but dogcrash is doing a fantastic job imo

Finger Prince

I fell for the miliband honeypot, at least that's what I assume it was, or maybe it was just a retroactively applied rule, but anyway rules in BYOB frighten and confuse me. But I made an effort to try and understand, and I think, if I've got this right, a needy cat or dog in a shelter will get clean bedding and fresh water and food for another day if I post this.

Not that I wouldn't have posted it anyway.

lumpycnt

joke_explainer posted:

thanks LC but dogcrash is doing a fantastic job imo

dogcrash is the king, but you're the baron of byob

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
barons are far lower in the feudal hierarchy than kings, owned

bwatts

i think you should stop sucking up to good posters and try making something funny

Bwee

Gone Fashing posted:

barons are far lower in the feudal hierarchy than kings, owned

lumpycnt

vice.com op-ed posted:

i think you should stop sucking up to good posters and try making something funny

you should stop encouraging posters to get an addiction

bwatts

i've not gone to sleep without a couple of benzos for the last 2000 days, and i'm not addicted. don't see why anybody else would be

lumpycnt

i realized benzos were bad after a month of hearing conversations in the ventilation system, you're destroying yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dogcrash truther

lumpycnt posted:

i realized benzos were bad after a month of hearing conversations in the ventilation system, you're destroying yourself

please stop now, fellow poster, yoiu have made whatever point you were going to make

dogcrash truther
it can only go downhill from here. you do not like benzos. you thin k theyre bad. we get it.

dogcrash truther
please do not continue to post about this, desperately trying to change the opinions of people whose opinions arent going to change, becoming more and more personal in your appeals, talking about how you lived undera bridge or stripped copper wiring from construction sites or whatever. nobodys mind will change and you will be giving us Too Much Information

joke_explainer

god I love the sound of the cannon going off

tao of lmao

i loving love drugs

tao of lmao

i'm glad we're talking about the drugs in a doggy charity thread

dogcrash truther

joke_explainer posted:

god I love the sound of the cannon going off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bwatts