Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ryas posted:

Bellri's cover of "G no Senkou."
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25124537
[url]http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25124537[/url] if you don't have a Nico account.

Good stuff, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This series could really use a Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm watching Overman King Gainer, and I really wish you assholes hadn't been all, "oh I hope Kia Mbeki and Kun Soon turn out to be alive at the end just like those characters from Overman King Gainer who apparently die early on but you find out at the end they didn't!"

That would've been a nice surprise!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I'm watching Overman King Gainer, and I really wish you assholes hadn't been all, "oh I hope Kia Mbeki and Kun Soon turn out to be alive at the end just like those characters from Overman King Gainer who apparently die early on but you find out at the end they didn't!"

Oh no, spoilers from a 13-year-old show!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

To be fair, after a certain point I forgot they even survive.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Midjack posted:

Oh no, spoilers from a 13-year-old show!

I haven't watched all the animes from the past 13 years. I try, but occasionally I do need to take breaks to sleep or to have my bedpan changed and to be turned so I don't get bedsores.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

Hey guess what you just spoiled me about.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

You're welcome.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Raxivace posted:

Hey guess what you just spoiled me about.

Oh come on, don't read the last page of a tv series that just ended if you want to avoid spoilers about that show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

boom boom boom posted:

I haven't watched all the animes from the past 13 years. I try, but occasionally I do need to take breaks to sleep or to have my bedpan changed and to be turned so I don't get bedsores.

There's a statute of limitations on spoilers unless you think we need to talk about every show that ever aired using spoiler tags?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

Oh come on, don't read the last page of a tv series that just ended if you want to avoid spoilers about that show.

Gainer didn't just end.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a statute of limitations on spoilers unless you think we need to talk about every show that ever aired using spoiler tags?

Yes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol good luck with that

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

lol good luck with that

At the very least spoiler tag stuff from the actual last episode of show. People in the chat thread were talking about Gunbuster, but nobody said any explicit stuff about the last episode of Gunbuster, cause others had said they hadn't seen the show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

People spoiled that too, gently caress to spoiler protection.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

To use the spoil tag is to submit to ultimate weakness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure, but you shouldn't just fire off big spoilers for shows in random threads. Some people haven't seen poo poo, even if it is a decade old. It's like running into a Star Trek threading going "HEY GUYS SO HOW ABOUT VADER BEING LUKE'S FATHER?" just because it's not a Star Wars thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who doesn't already know that deserves to get spoiled on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

brb just going into a random CD thread to tell them 'Rosebud was the name of a sled'.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think that's a poor example, especially because stuff like these minor characters are around later is so nonimportant that if it seriously ruins the media you are watching bad media.

Good media is about the execution of the journey, not the specifics of the stops along the way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

Good media is about the execution of the journey, not the specifics of the stops along the way.

Except you can kill the tone if you already know what's going to happen. Part of the journey is not knowing what's coming next.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except you can kill the tone if you already know what's going to happen. Part of the journey is not knowing what's coming next.

All that means is you can focus more on the execution of other areas, a good piece of art has so many facets of it that are important or worth attention that knowing who dies at the end doesn't matter.

If you're watching trash it can ruin it, I'll admit.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Knowing who dues doesn't matter, the pacing of their death, the environment and circumstances where it happens, how it affects the rest of the cast and their own thoughts and feelings on the issue, the way it effects the dynamic of the journey going forwars, how well it was shot or drawn and described, all those are the important elements of fiction.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And you can't spoil all that in under multiple paragraphs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

you should really try reading up the synopsis of the next big thing you watch because what actually happens when you know what is supposed to happen next is you focus on the smaller details that are overlooked more often than not, especially for classics that deserve that level of attention.

It's a fun way to do things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While it's often the intention that the audience goes in without foreknowledge, a good story with a spoiler or twist is often more enjoyable if you already know the spoiler.

Like KOTOR1.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think I should mention again that the spoiler being discussed is that Yassaba Jin of the series Overman King Gainer disappears and is not seen again a handful of episodes in, and then reappears at the very end of the finale of the series alive and well.

It's such a super minor thing that makes boom3s flailing about over it funny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, so it's a "hey remember this guy? Betcha didn't" sort of thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh, so it's a "hey remember this guy? Betcha didn't" sort of thing.

Yeah he was a minor antagonist to begin with so you just assume he died or went somewhere else, he absence isn't really noticed and doesn't impact the story in any way and neither does his reapparance.

The operative word in spoil is what bugs me the most, it's the idea that the knowledge of parts of a story suddenly absolutely ruins the whole product, and a mystical perfect virginal experience is lost to the viewer forever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If someone doesn't want to be spoiled they're not going to enjoy it no matter how much justification you throw their way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 5, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If someone doesn't want to be spoiled they're not going to enjoy it no matter how much justification you throw their way.

It means they're a big baby and I'm going to lock them in a safe, for their safety.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The babysafe for nospoilers zone.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

you should really try reading up the synopsis of the next big thing you watch because what actually happens when you know what is supposed to happen next is you focus on the smaller details that are overlooked more often than not, especially for classics that deserve that level of attention.

It's a fun way to do things.

You could also just watch things twice.

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah he was a minor antagonist to begin with so you just assume he died or went somewhere else, he absence isn't really noticed and doesn't impact the story in any way and neither does his reapparance.

The operative word in spoil is what bugs me the most, it's the idea that the knowledge of parts of a story suddenly absolutely ruins the whole product, and a mystical perfect virginal experience is lost to the viewer forever.

You assume he died, because the scene is set up to make you think he died. And being told that he doesn't die does actually spoil the surprise that he doesn't Of course it doesn't spoil the entire show, but it does spoil what is clearly just supposed to be a nice little bonus at the end. Surprise and emotions can enhance the viewing experience of a series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

It means they're a big baby and I'm going to lock them in a safe, for their safety.

This argument ignores the idea that lack of knowledge also can contribute to a work. Overlooking elements, being surprised by them, and other things like that are emotional connections to a work that being spoiled can ruin. You can always rewatch something and see the smaller details but you can't regain a 'fresh' experience and the way you'd view the story without prior knowledge.

If you don't enjoy that, fine, but it isn't universal and you don't need to be a poo poo about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

T.G. Xarbala posted:

While it's often the intention that the audience goes in without foreknowledge, a good story with a spoiler or twist is often more enjoyable if you already know the spoiler.

Like KOTOR1.

But it's still the viewer's personal choice. If you go wandering into the Gundam thread you shouldn't be surprised when big spoilers get lobbed about casually. It's gonna happen, it's the general discussion thread for a whole franchise. But casually dropping key spoilers for random other shows is just a dick thing to do when there's always people putting in the effort to avoid them as best they can.

Sharkopath posted:

...Because it is? Most people like going in without foreknowledge because the whole experience is fresh and new. Anything you put in contradiction to that is only ever going to be your own personal opinion, and just comes off as insulting them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You are all going into the safe, there is no longer a chance of escape.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I promise to let you out when the world is safe and secure again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

You are all going into the safe, there is no longer a chance of escape.

Post a quick summary of the last episode of Gunbuster in the chat thread. People in there have said they plan to watch the show, finding out what happens at the end before they watch it should enhance their viewing experience, right?

You aren't actually going to do that, because even if you do believe that knowing what's going to happens always makes watching a show better, you also know that other people disagree, and you respect other people's emotions. You're just talking big for humor on the internet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OTOH you should spoil DieBuster as much as possible. Despite what its op might tell you, that show actually isn't groovin' and should be avoided at all costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Post a quick summary of the last episode of Gunbuster in the chat thread. People in there have said they plan to watch the show, finding out what happens at the end before they watch it should enhance their viewing experience, right?

You aren't actually going to do that, because even if you do believe that knowing what's going to happens always makes watching a show better, you also know that other people disagree, and you respect other people's emotions. You're just talking big for humor on the internet.

Nope.

• Locked thread