Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

For a second I wondered why he did this all in one tiny bedroom, then I realized its probably due to his mother not wanting it out in the living room.

In his ideal world, he never has to get out of bed - that's why he has the bed laptop stand and everything mounted relative to his position on the bed. Soon he'll mount the screen on the roof so he doesn't even have to sit up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm picturing his wife has the same kind of pube-stache.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
He probably has hairy knuckles, so yeah.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Samizdata posted:

Also, wife? Pics or GTFO, Barneyackles.

Grover had a wife. :colbert:

ColHannibal posted:

For a second I wondered why he did this all in one tiny bedroom, then I realized its probably due to his mother not wanting it out in the living room.

:master:

But enough of this guy, ugh. He isn't even really relevant to the thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Splizwarf posted:

But enough of this guy, ugh. He isn't even really relevant to the thread.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would have been more impressed if it was 3D printed and in his bedroom.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I would have been more impressed if it was 3D printed and in his bedroom.

Hanging from a 3D printed custom bracket.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

That is infinitely more pleasing to the eye. :wotwot:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not mine, but gently caress shoveling this.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I still want to see a picture of the 4.5m cube of uranium osmium that goon has in his server room with the laser rope

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GreenNight posted:

I hope that is somewhere that has never heard of winter, because the moment ice touches that you are going to die.

Actually, is that driveway even functional? It's so steep it looks like a lot of cars wouldn't even be able to get up it because the slope would hit their bumper before their wheels ever touched it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The lack of leaves on the trees makes me believe that it's located in winter land.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashcans posted:

I hope that is somewhere that has never heard of winter, because the moment ice touches that you are going to die.

Actually, is that driveway even functional? It's so steep it looks like a lot of cars wouldn't even be able to get up it because the slope would hit their bumper before their wheels ever touched it.

I did a bit of digging and found that picture seems to have shown up on the internet around late '06 and really started to spread in early '07. An urban planning forum (warning, MLP theme, presumably as an april fools thing...i hope...) thinks they found the actual location in Fayetteville, AR: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.087662,-94.232312,3a,75y,310.84h,79.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbQHQUFmDIN1EXrvadsGizw!2e0?hl=en

The visible parts of the fronts of the houses look right and the sidewalk seems to have been moved out towards the street by a few feet to help the situation, but the breakover angle in to the garage still looks like it'd be pretty bad for a low-riding car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I still want to see a picture of the 4.5m cube of uranium osmium that goon has in his server room with the laser rope

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wolrah posted:

I did a bit of digging and found that picture seems to have shown up on the internet around late '06 and really started to spread in early '07. An urban planning forum (warning, MLP theme, presumably as an april fools thing...i hope...) thinks they found the actual location in Fayetteville, AR: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.087662,-94.232312,3a,75y,310.84h,79.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbQHQUFmDIN1EXrvadsGizw!2e0?hl=en

The visible parts of the fronts of the houses look right and the sidewalk seems to have been moved out towards the street by a few feet to help the situation, but the breakover angle in to the garage still looks like it'd be pretty bad for a low-riding car.

Great digging!

quote:

Why would someone slightly scrunch the photographs horizontally, since the original aspect ratio is dramatic enough? I know this for a fact - I'm the one who took the photographs. There is no digital altering of any sort other than these posted photos being a little too narrow. Although that was several years ago, 2003 maybe?, I've just now stumbled across this very interesting thread.

I was City Engineer for Fayetteville at the time, and was stunned to see such a ridiculous driveway being constructed. The white car in the photo, our department vehicle, does look a little too narrow in these posted photos. Of course, the Mayor and all sorts of people were immediately notified of this insane situation, and I sent several photos out to disbelieving friends. I'm guessing that's how they ended up on the internet, and were even seen in a military presentation in Korea!

ESI out of Springdale was the site engineer, and Riggins Construction was the developer and homebuilder. We called them immediately to try to find some sort of after-the-fact solution, which you eagle-eyed folks have spotted. The best we could come up, short of demolishing the houses and rebuilding with 2-stories, was to move the sidewalk closer to the street and then tear out and repour the driveways. It didn't gain them much, but I suppose every degree counts in this instance.

At the time, Fayetteville did not have any maximum driveway slope regulations - so much for assuming common sense would prevail! I always thought the market would keep these houses unsold for years, but they sold shortly after being completed - I would have loved to see them struggling to move in.

I will try to locate the original photos and post them. To paraphrase, "no planning or construction mistake is totally useless, it can always be a bad example!"

Gary

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Ashcans posted:

As shown there, no; I'm not sure there's any stock car or truck that could make it into that garage. That looks like maybe a ~30 degree angle to me (maybe even as high as 35). At the 30 end, I think most cars will be screwed but a good portion of SUVs should be able to at least start going up the driveway (although a lot of them wouldn't be able to get all the way on to the driveway, since the tail end would hit the ground; most cars have a higher approach angle than departure angle). But even vehicles that can make it onto that are probably going to high center trying to pull in.

A 10° angle (on either end) seems to be about the highest you can go before ordinary cars will start running into trouble.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

spog posted:

Great digging!

quote:

Why would someone slightly scrunch the photographs horizontally, since the original aspect ratio is dramatic enough? I know this for a fact - I'm the one who took the photographs. There is no digital altering of any sort other than these posted photos being a little too narrow. Although that was several years ago, 2003 maybe?, I've just now stumbled across this very interesting thread.

I was City Engineer for Fayetteville at the time, and was stunned to see such a ridiculous driveway being constructed. The white car in the photo, our department vehicle, does look a little too narrow in these posted photos. Of course, the Mayor and all sorts of people were immediately notified of this insane situation, and I sent several photos out to disbelieving friends. I'm guessing that's how they ended up on the internet, and were even seen in a military presentation in Korea!

ESI out of Springdale was the site engineer, and Riggins Construction was the developer and homebuilder. We called them immediately to try to find some sort of after-the-fact solution, which you eagle-eyed folks have spotted. The best we could come up, short of demolishing the houses and rebuilding with 2-stories, was to move the sidewalk closer to the street and then tear out and repour the driveways. It didn't gain them much, but I suppose every degree counts in this instance.

At the time, Fayetteville did not have any maximum driveway slope regulations - so much for assuming common sense would prevail! I always thought the market would keep these houses unsold for years, but they sold shortly after being completed - I would have loved to see them struggling to move in.

I will try to locate the original photos and post them. To paraphrase, "no planning or construction mistake is totally useless, it can always be a bad example!"

Gary

Struggle to move in my rear end, just back the moving van (fullsize only, no uhauls allowed) onto the sidewalk and put a ramp to the top of the driveway. Should be roughly level. :newlol:

Also, no need to sweep the driveway ever. Better get studded snow tires though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well it's not like most americans use their garages for parking in anyway. Just store all your huge mounds of poo poo in there like everyone else, and park at the curb.

I have huge mounds of poo poo filling my garage. This is me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Well it's not like most americans use their garages for parking in anyway. Just store all your huge mounds of poo poo in there like everyone else, and park at the curb.

I have huge mounds of poo poo filling my garage. This is me.

I'm building a workshop in my backyard specifically to hold my huge mounds of poo poo so that my garage can be used for other things. Maybe I'll even use it to store my car!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Struggle to move in my rear end, just back the moving van (fullsize only, no uhauls allowed) onto the sidewalk and put a ramp to the top of the driveway. Should be roughly level. :newlol:

Also, no need to sweep the driveway ever. Better get studded snow tires though.

Winch in the garage. Problem solved :v:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Winch in the garage. Problem solved :v:

Dude, women are allowed in the WHOLE house. Unless you are Barnacles where there's only room for one person in the bedroom.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

If you look at the oil stains in StreetView it pretty much confirms the dude who lives there either parks in the street, or is being a douche and parking across the sidewalk only partially in the driveway.

My sister lives in a cul-de-sac where literally every other house does that and drives me nuts.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.462833,-122.847746,3a,72.5y,335.41h,71.7t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svb6ysv97t0nN9nEuOFydRA!2e0

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sbyers77 posted:

My sister lives in a cul-de-sac where literally every other house does that and drives me nuts.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.462833,-122.847746,3a,72.5y,335.41h,71.7t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svb6ysv97t0nN9nEuOFydRA!2e0

Meh. Sidewalks in culs‐de‐sac are vestigial.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sbyers77 posted:

If you look at the oil stains in StreetView it pretty much confirms the dude who lives there either parks in the street, or is being a douche and parking across the sidewalk only partially in the driveway.

He could also be parking nose down.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I heard you like lovely driveways:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.748992,-97.258198,3a,75y,245.31h,75.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suEsXk2G7C2h8iOpuubA9DA!2e0

Pan around and you can count 12 dual car garages or 24 garage stalls total all packed into one cul de sac. How the hell did this make it past the city planners desk???

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

He could also be parking nose down.

Or an oil cooled 911.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.748992,-97.258198,3a,75y,245.31h,75.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suEsXk2G7C2h8iOpuubA9DA!2e0

Pan around and you can count 12 dual car garages or 24 garage stalls total all packed into one cul de sac. How the hell did this make it past the city planners desk???

Yeah but if that guy in the back has a party, everyone can park in his driveway.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

I count 4 GM G-body cars in that streetview. Someone must be a fan.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

GreenNight posted:

My driveway is this steep and I hate it. Only difference is the angle isn't as extreme at the bottom it dips down slightly and at the top it flattens out before it gets to the garage. I hate it because the road is on a slope and if the builder had placed the driveway 40 feet to the right, the driveway would have been a nice ~6 ft change instead of ~11 ft.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I'm looking for suggestions on dealing with loud neighbors. Our bedroom faces their patio and their son tends to have people over late to drink and hang out. The only separation is a lovely 4' wire fence and some bushes. Last year I wound up going out at 1am every other week to ask them to keep it down.

What are some solutions here? Even if they weren't up so late the small distance between our houses, brick walls w/o insulation, and single pane windows keeps things loud when we're going to sleep. We're in 1 story with a basement, with probably 5' of height before the first floor starts in the backyard. All I've been able to think of is a tall, likely expensive, fence that would probably block out sunlight.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on dealing with loud neighbors. Our bedroom faces their patio and their son tends to have people over late to drink and hang out. The only separation is a lovely 4' wire fence and some bushes. Last year I wound up going out at 1am every other week to ask them to keep it down.

What are some solutions here? Even if they weren't up so late the small distance between our houses, brick walls w/o insulation, and single pane windows keeps things loud when we're going to sleep. We're in 1 story with a basement, with probably 5' of height before the first floor starts in the backyard. All I've been able to think of is a tall, likely expensive, fence that would probably block out sunlight.

Sound dampening drapes or a shotgun.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

Sound dampening drapes or a shotgun.

Hevi-shot.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

No need to go Waco, I'm just saying to scare the punk.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ColHannibal posted:

No need to go Waco, I'm just saying to scare the punk.

Homemade artillery simulator.

In actual construction tales news: I saw a newly-constructed sewage lift station yesterday. It's down by the lake and right next to a heavily-salted road. Stainless trough mounted to painted steel strut with galvanized fasteners. It's only been a couple of weeks, and there's already rust. The antenna mast is just standard EMT with standard galvanized compression fittings. Again, stainless steel straps with galvanized hardware holding it to the cabinet. Already rusting. The excess antenna cable is coiled up and zip-tied to the cabinet leg on the slab. I hope coax is OK getting stepped on.

My favorite part is an obviously JUST-drilled 1/2" hole all the way through the slab with an extension cord coming out of it, running across the pad, across the grass a few yards, and plugged into the main service convenience outlet. GFCI, but no in-use cover. The hole still has hammer drill dust around it, and is the exact size of the cord. If they ever want to stop using that for whatever they're using it for, they're cutting one end off that cord.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Homemade artillery simulator.

In actual construction tales news: I saw a newly-constructed sewage lift station yesterday. It's down by the lake and right next to a heavily-salted road. Stainless trough mounted to painted steel strut with galvanized fasteners. It's only been a couple of weeks, and there's already rust. The antenna mast is just standard EMT with standard galvanized compression fittings. Again, stainless steel straps with galvanized hardware holding it to the cabinet. Already rusting. The excess antenna cable is coiled up and zip-tied to the cabinet leg on the slab. I hope coax is OK getting stepped on.

My favorite part is an obviously JUST-drilled 1/2" hole all the way through the slab with an extension cord coming out of it, running across the pad, across the grass a few yards, and plugged into the main service convenience outlet. GFCI, but no in-use cover. The hole still has hammer drill dust around it, and is the exact size of the cord. If they ever want to stop using that for whatever they're using it for, they're cutting one end off that cord.

Not that that's not hilarious, but do you often stop to observe the craftsmanship of sewer lift stations on your way to work or something?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Did anyone have any guides for finding a good home inspector? My parents are being made an offer by their landlord, but I'm concerned with the craftsmanship of the house, and we know it had some issues, but I'm worried it's got some very serious ones.

I don't want my parents to get hoodwinked.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Did anyone have any guides for finding a good home inspector? My parents are being made an offer by their landlord, but I'm concerned with the craftsmanship of the house, and we know it had some issues, but I'm worried it's got some very serious ones.

I don't want my parents to get hoodwinked.

As I understand it the main thing is to avoid using inspectors recommended by the realtor, to avoid a conflict of interest. So go on Yelp and find ones with decent reviews.

But yeah, absolutely do not buy a house that hasn't been inspected. And I'd suggest that you try to stay intimately involved in this process as a semi-impartial third party, because it's very easy to get emotionally invested in "your" house, which could lead your parents to make bad decisions.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Not that that's not hilarious, but do you often stop to observe the craftsmanship of sewer lift stations on your way to work or something?

As a professional electrician, I can't NOT look at the mechanical execution of others's work.

It drives my wife crazy. I'm always staring at ceilings and walls and electrical panels and stuff. I notice when all the lenses in fluorescent lights aren't pointed the same way. Sprinkler heads not in a row. Missing/worn/loose/damage ceiling tiles. That kind of thing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As a professional electrician, I can't NOT look at the mechanical execution of others's work.

It drives my wife crazy. I'm always staring at ceilings and walls and electrical panels and stuff. I notice when all the lenses in fluorescent lights aren't pointed the same way. Sprinkler heads not in a row. Missing/worn/loose/damage ceiling tiles. That kind of thing.

Seconding this, as a property insurance adjuster. I have annoyed many & many a friend & family member.

Spend a lot of time gazing at roofs while in stop&go traffic. There are a lot of really, really unskilled people out there who like to call themselves, "contractors."

poo poo. I took pictures of buildings under construction while on vacation in Switzerland:

Then again, Roman construction techniques are fascinating.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yep... I can't drive down a street without noticing lovely brick pointing, shoddy roof work, sagging walls and roofs from past water damage or poor foundation work, weird stuff on the power lines, etc etc.

It's a curse.